A Ghostly, Incredible, Totally Wicked Couple of Runs(Plus DATW with DISsers) Marathon Weekend Report

Your photos leading up to and running through WWoS are giving me flashbacks of just how hot it was with that sun beating down on us. Brutal! Good for you for keeping with your intervals. The lap through the stadium was the first of several extended walk breaks for me. I didn’t stop for any characters after my guy Pluto, but maybe I should have! You and Chris got some really cute shots in WWoS!

Osceola parkway is the toughest part of the course, hands down! Still so far to go, boring road with the bridge "hills", very little entertainment, suns up and it's getting warm...you have to admit WWoS is a welcome sight after that!!

Props to rD for putting headliner characters in WWoS to help make it better for the runners in there! The first time I ran the marathon (in 2013 -HOT!) I remember going into there feeling good, cruising along...and then by the time I left the wheels had come off and I was struggling! This year I kept waiting to fall apart but it never really happened (other than general fatigue/sore legs). Maybe experience counts for something??

I love that you shared that photo of you at mile 20! That's the reality right there - we are all smiley when we see the photographers and then back to suffer face the minute we pass them by! Thanks for keeping it real!

We must have been right near you leaving WWoS because just as we were running out we saw the balloons making the turn off the driveway/into the complex. I agree- I like WWoS more and more! I remember having the feeling of how uncomfortable the sun was beating on my legs and back as we were running out. That was the first time I really felt like 'crap, this is hot' haha!

Can't wait to hear about your finish!

Your photos leading up to and running through WWoS are giving me flashbacks of just how hot it was with that sun beating down on us. Brutal! Good for you for keeping with your intervals. The lap through the stadium was the first of several extended walk breaks for me. I didn’t stop for any characters after my guy Pluto, but maybe I should have! You and Chris got some really cute shots in WWoS!

Yeah, it was a hot one and that heat really takes a toll! It's hard sometimes to know if it's better to stop for pictures or keep on moving, but I'm almost always ready to stop for any reason. :D

Osceola parkway is the toughest part of the course, hands down! Still so far to go, boring road with the bridge "hills", very little entertainment, suns up and it's getting warm...you have to admit WWoS is a welcome sight after that!!

Props to rD for putting headliner characters in WWoS to help make it better for the runners in there! The first time I ran the marathon (in 2013 -HOT!) I remember going into there feeling good, cruising along...and then by the time I left the wheels had come off and I was struggling! This year I kept waiting to fall apart but it never really happened (other than general fatigue/sore legs). Maybe experience counts for something??

I love that you shared that photo of you at mile 20! That's the reality right there - we are all smiley when we see the photographers and then back to suffer face the minute we pass them by! Thanks for keeping it real!

Those headlines in WWoS make all the difference. I also think now having run it several times that I appreciate just how long I'll be in there. The first couple of years, I erroneously thought I'd be exiting very shortly after entering and that made it seem even longer. Now knowing how many twists and turns the course takes in there really helps me to be ready for it.

And, that picture was super real. LOL

We must have been right near you leaving WWoS because just as we were running out we saw the balloons making the turn off the driveway/into the complex. I agree- I like WWoS more and more! I remember having the feeling of how uncomfortable the sun was beating on my legs and back as we were running out. That was the first time I really felt like 'crap, this is hot' haha!

Can't wait to hear about your finish!

YES! after that turn back out onto Osceola the sun is directly behind you and it feels so much hotter for some reason.

Finish coming up!

Hollywood Studios, Boardwalk, Epcot and Home!
I’m not Crying, You’re Crying!!
giphy.gif

When last I left you, we’d had just passed the mile 21 marker and were headed back out onto Osceola Parkway and on our way to Hollywood Studios. It was HOT and SUNNY and I was TIRED, but we were still running and still having fun and it IS a marathon after all right?

We made the turn to head across the Hollywood Studios bridge and past Sarge who was telling us to run even though we were on a walk break. For a moment, Chris started to run until I was like, “Dude! Walk break! Plus, UPHILL! Plus, HOT! Plus Mile 21!” He apologized. I guess it was his old military training kicking in. Anyway, mile 22!!

And then we saw somebody who had become famous on the character text group, a trooper who was a Dopey finisher although today he was wearing his Marathon medal.

This guy was soooo nice. On we went and there was some good music playing here including Sweet Caroline which prompted even those clearly in death-march mode to sing along. Thus is the power of Neil Diamond! Mile 23 and the turn into Hollywood Studios. YAY!!

Best ride in Disney!!!

And then Chocolate and then the character meet I was waiting for.

Yeah, no Edna. So sad. :( Even though I’d been forewarned, I held onto some small hope that those ahead of me had just somehow missed her. Sadly not the case. But, we still got the leading man and woman.

The run through Hollywood Studios feels incredibly short, cause it is, but I was feeling better and more energetic knowing we were getting close. See? Happy! These are even legit smiles. HA!

]

Then it’s out of the park and on our way to the Boardwalk. Mile 24

I’m always happy along in here. I like this one of us together.

As we were running along the Boardwalk we were looking longingly over at the Beach Club and our room which was tantalizingly close. But, no no. We had a marathon to finish after all.

]

But, it’s RIGHT THERE!!!

Finally into Epcot and mile 25.

We decided to do an around-the-world pictorial again as we finished up our last mile. Basically we just run to each country and do a selfie. It makes that last mile go by quickly for us. Also, for some reason I got a big rush of emotion here, almost started crying. I didn’t know I could still get choked up at the finish of a marathon, but it was full-on feels time…or maybe it was just relief that we only had one mile left. LOL

France!

Belle was out so, of course, we had to say Bon Jour!

Morroco

Somebody was skywriting although I never figured out what they were trying to say…I’m guessing like Jesus Saves or something.

Japan

‘Merica

Italy

]

Oh! I think we are supposed to ASK Jesus something…like please help me finish this marathon!

Germany

And a lovely German Princess

Guten Tag, Snow White!

China

Norway

These CMs were adorable!!

Mexico

No beer or margarita for us this go round. Lines were long and I wanted to be done.
:)

And, of course, we had to take one with SSE!

Feeling strong and we are superheroes after all.

]

Mile 26 and we felt quite appropriate that it was The Incredibles.

Choir!!

And into the finish chute.

I have no idea what Chris is doing. LOL

Ah the relief of finishing. We got our medals and ear hats (a nice touch, runDisney) and briefly considered stopping into the little cooling zone where they had benches and misting fans going, but we really just wanted to get out of there and into a cool shower! So on we moved. We were happy rD was handing out cooling towels and they felt great.

We DID It! Marathon number 9 for me and I think number 14 for Chris.

We both realized that in the course of just a little more than a year that I had run 3 marathons and Chris 4. Yeah, that might have been more than we wanted.
:)

We were able to catch a bus back to Beach Club pretty quickly and got cleaned up and rested just for a bit. We still had a busy evening ahead!!

Last edited:
Woohoo, Mouse Challenge complete!!

Love the pictures around the world, how fun that the Norway CMs were in your selfie!

Great pics of you two as usual...boy you two must really like marathons, eh?? ;) Congrats!!

Woohoo, Mouse Challenge complete!!

Love the pictures around the world, how fun that the Norway CMs were in your selfie!

Great pics of you two as usual...boy you two must really like marathons, eh?? ;) Congrats!!

Thank you!

Those Norway kids were so sweet. The closest girl offered to take our picture but I told her we like bad selfies. :D

It seems like we really like marathons, doesn't it? It's a bizarre psychosis I've decided.

Mouse challenge finished! You guys did awesome!

Those pictures around world showcase were fantastic. I also find that photo of the guy on the phone at DHS really funny.

Happily Ever After
DistantJadedFattaileddunnart-max-1mb.gif

Once we got back to the hotel, we both just got ourselves cleaned up and changed clothes and headed off to the Magic Kingdom for the remainder of the day. Chris had yet to have a good viewing point for Happily Ever After and I really wanted him to see the show, so off we went!

I know we rode some rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise, but the afternoon is a bit of a blur. Marathon Brain!!! But, I do know that we’d arranged to have dinner at a new place for us.

Skipper Canteen!

]

We’d scheduled dinner pretty early as we figured we’d be starved. But, honestly, our hunger hadn’t kicked back in that strongly, but we were still ready to eat. I didn’t love our table because we were right beside the walkway that everyone goes by to be seated, so it was a bit chaotic there, but whatever.

We ordered the S.E.A. Shu Mai

]

These were very good. They had just enough kick to them and were fresh and tasty.

For entrees Chris got the pork (I think) and I got the steak. Frankly both were just okay. Again, our stomachs weren’t fully back on track yet, but even in different circumstances, these were nothing special.

]

]

We didn’t mess with dessert and so headed back out into the park shortly after. Again, I have little recollection of what we did. LOL, but as it got darker we decided a castle picture was in order.

]

Such a pretty castle! Also, I look really tired. HA!

We were talking about our plans for the next day – DATW!! When Chris was asking about breakfast because he wisely knew we’d probably be hungry come morning, so I jumped on to MDE and we opted to eat at the Wave again in the early morning and then monorail over to Epcot.

Eventually we lined up for the show and got a great spot. Right in the center of Main Street near Casey’s and behind the rope they set up to leave a walkway across the street. This ensured nobody was directly in front of us so we had a great view.

I didn’t take one picture. I just wanted to really watch and take it all in. It’s a really good show and while I miss Wishes, I’m getting very fond of this one. And, the fireworks volley at the end of this thing just takes my breath away. I love the music and am really getting attached to the song “Happily Ever After.”

Once the show was over, we made our way to the exit and onto a bus and collapsed into bed. We had a big day planned for tomorrow. :D

How can it be 30 years? I’m only 35!!!
tenor.gif

We woke up bright and early and I braced myself for climbing out of bed expecting to be in pain. And, while I was certainly a bit stiff and sore, I honestly didn’t feel too badly at all. I headed off to the shower and when I stepped out found a small little box waiting for me on the vanity. See, today was our 30th wedding anniversary! I’m not sure how that’s even possible, but it is. #old Anyway, in the box was a lovely pair of pearl earrings, because the 30th is the “pearl” anniversary apparently. They are lovely and it was a huge and wonderful surprise because normally we don’t buy each other anniversary gifts. I also felt like a heel because I didn’t buy Chris anything. :oops:

We headed off for a bus to MK and then a quick walk over to the Contemporary for breakfast again at the Wave.

]

It was just as good as the last time! Then we headed off for the monorail to get to Epcot by rope drop. After a bit of a wait, we went to ride Test Track. The ride photo we got isn’t us which happened on about 3 different rides this trip. Strange. We did however get our ride photo for FEA – my expression is weird here. LOL

Anyway, then we rode Soarin’, SSE and Nemo before getting our medal pic in front of SSE.

]

By now, we knew from the text group that folks were already gathering in Mexico, so off we went. There was a pretty big crowd there already, so we got a couple of drinks and visited a bit. @keels had made up lanyards for everyone to use to document our trip around the world. I took this task very seriously! I was determined to have a fully-completed lanyard. :D Which means I was a pretty happy girl by the time we got to Canada!

Mexico!

]

Keels had a schedule to keep and so started telling us all it was time to move on, so on we went to

Norway!

Where I had a very nasty beer. :( While in line for my beer though there were some other women who were doing DATW and they LOVED the lanyard. They took a picture so they could mimic it for a later trip.

China!!

Kung Fu Punch!! I don’t think I took a picture but it was yummy!

Africa Outpost!! Outpost Lemonade

]

Also yummy!!

Germany!! Grapefruit beer

]

Not so yummy. But we drank it anyway. :)

There was a photopass person here, so this happened…

Pandamonium 2019, y’all. I love this EPIC shot!!

Keels had a bunch of us make reservations at Via Napoli for lunch and then sort of mashed them together for one big reservation. I think there was some confusion at check-in, but Keels got it all straightened out – cause she’s awesome that way and soon we were commanding a huge long table right in front of the ovens. I coerced @rteetz to share pizza with us, so we had a large pepperoni pizza that was delicious!

]

And, can’t forget Italy just because we are eating… Chris had the Lemoncello drink and I had the Via Vesuvia. Both quite good

]

It’s a good thing I ate though. I was feeling my trip around the world by now and we still had a long way to go.

U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I really liked this. So much so I forced Monica, @mrsg00fy to drink some. Sorry, Monica! I was feeling the booze at this point.

Japan!! I was debating not drinking here, but @jennamfeo bought a sake flight so several of us just shared sips of this. Some were good. Some were NOT!

Morocco! Not a lot of good options here. Mostly beer, but I was very serious about buying a Moroccan beer. I was told as I was handed my Casa Beer that it was the last one he had. I was strangely stoked about this as you see later when I reveal my lanyard. SMH

France! AKA dessert drink. Ice Cream Martini (Berry/Lemon ice cream and Vodka).

]

OMG! So good!!!

UK!!! We stopped into Rose and Crown pub. Bass Pale Ale. It was fine. Beer. We sat for a bit there before heading to the final stop.

O Canada!!! We ordered an Ottowa Apple that was delicious and pretty strong. Yikes. Challenge complete!

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/Qvcw4z[/COLOR'] Lots more fun talks and then Keels began handing out the BEST medal of the weekend!!
[/url]

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/Qvcw4z[/COLOR']

]

Up top where it belongs!! We sadly had to say our good-byes here because we had a dinner reservation to celebrate our anniversary. It was such a fun day and such a great opportunity to visit with some people in real life that I chat with daily here.

[/url]
https://flic.kr/p/2ebTu8L
https://flic.kr/p/2ebTu8L

DATW was such a fun way to celebrate everyone’s accomplishments!!! It was amazing having a chance to meet so many amazing people (you and Chris included). I started DATW having only met a few DISers at HHHH and, just a few countries in, we were all sharing each other’s drinks like we had known each other for years! It was a great day and I didn’t want it to end!

DATW sounds like so much fun! I am impressed that you had a drink at every country. My friends and I tried to do this when we were on the college program, but couldn't do it all in one day - although that may have had more to do with Disney prices.

DATW was such a fun way to celebrate everyone’s accomplishments!!! It was amazing having a chance to meet so many amazing people (you and Chris included). I started DATW having only met a few DISers at HHHH and, just a few countries in, we were all sharing each other’s drinks like we had known each other for years! It was a great day and I didn’t want it to end!

It was fantastic. I worried it would be super-awkward and that we might want to bail out early if it was, but it really wasn't! I enjoyed it so much and I agree it was great to meet everyone in person!

DATW makes me want to go to marathon weekend 2020.....
but not run a marathon.
Your complete medal set is awesome, congratulations!

Thanks. I love my medal set! And, I highly recommend DATW for 2020. Do it!

So fun!! I'm bummed I missed DATW- looks like a blast!

I love that Chris surprised you on your anniversary- Cheers to 30 more!

You'll just have to do DATW next year. :D

Thank you. I'm a lucky woman.

DATW sounds like so much fun! I am impressed that you had a drink at every country. My friends and I tried to do this when we were on the college program, but couldn't do it all in one day - although that may have had more to do with Disney prices.

Chris and I quickly determined we needed to share drinks, so only a few countries did we each have our own. And, believe me I was feeling it. I never added up how much we spent in today. The beauty of paying with a magicband. #Disneymath.

great recap. And Happy Anniversay. I don't remember if we wished you guys a happy anniversary that day or not. It really was a super fun day, and I want to thank you and all the others for making it fun and not uncomfortable at all. Personally, I had only met a couple of Disers prior to that day, but everyone was really great.

Lol that FEA photo is pretty funny. You are wide eyed at something!

DATW was so much fun! I don't think it took much coercing for me to share pizza with you. You were definitely the smart one for writing everything down. I don't remember everything I had. Thanks for sharing with me! It really was a great time with great people. If you do make it to wine and dine I owe you a few drinks.

Love the recap. Brings back great memories. It was awesome to meet you. Sharing the drinks saved me because I had to fly home that night and I had to make sure I wasn't going to be denied boarding. And thanks for helping out so I didn't have to drink all of that nasty sake by myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!