A Girl's First Solo Trip - August 2018 *updated 10/9 x2 and COMPLETED!*

So, it must be a bit before my time, but all these other Slinky toys are actually real! I googled them on my last trip and was delighted by that! I also didn’t realize that Slinky Dog was a real toy. I just assumed it was something Disney made up for Toy Story.
47116267774_f75e75ba42_c.jpg

That's cute…and sad because I totally remember all those toys! My favorite are the Fisher Price Campers where they sell the merch. Totally brings back memories!

Great job securing a coveted FP while trying to nap!:flower:

The lighting in the Pop bathroom was really nice compared to the dark AK, that really is the only thing I didn’t like about AK, the TV is bigger at Pop than AK to!

I love TSL except it is so hot in the summer. We waited in line for Woody and Jessie last August and it was torture, haha!

And it was HOT. But very cute!

YES!!! I think the area needs to "grow up" as in the trees need to mature to provide more shade. I dunno, I just feel like I can last literally an hour tops in there and have to jet out. Just to fricken' hot.

That always makes me giggle too. :)

My initial impressions were “cute but no thrill at all”.

My first impression too. But, like you, it's grown on me. ::yes::

it’s a bit poorly designed because it’s so out in the sun. I know they’ve installed umbrellas, but they really detract from the theme - they at least could have made them the little cocktail umbrellas!

Now there's a good idea!! The ones they have are such an afterthought and detract as you say.

That's cute…and sad because I totally remember all those toys! My favorite are the Fisher Price Campers where they sell the merch. Totally brings back memories!

I was at Cracker Barrel yesterday and they actually had a vintage (reissued) Slinky Dog! I thought that was so cool!

And oh yeah I noticed those campers on my last trip and got such a kick out of them, they're adorable!

Great job securing a coveted FP while trying to nap!:flower:

The lighting in the Pop bathroom was really nice compared to the dark AK, that really is the only thing I didn’t like about AK, the TV is bigger at Pop than AK to!

I love TSL except it is so hot in the summer. We waited in line for Woody and Jessie last August and it was torture, haha!

Not good at napping, excellent at same-day FPing hahah!

I agree, it's really hard to put on makeup in AKL. Luckily it looks like the new room updates address that issue. The new rooms look so nice!

Oh man those lines look miserable! And it must really suck for the CMs who went from a nice air conditioned M&G to right in the blazing sun. Feel that's a little poorly thought out on their part, and the Toy Story costumes are especially bulky!

Pretty awesome getting a same day FP for SDD! Love all your pics!

I was definitely thrilled to start my trip that way! Thank you!!

YES!!! I think the area needs to "grow up" as in the trees need to mature to provide more shade. I dunno, I just feel like I can last literally an hour tops in there and have to jet out. Just to fricken' hot.

That's how I've felt in there! Somehow it just feels a million times hotter than the rest of the park.

That always makes me giggle too. :)

Gotta love that attention to detail! I'm guessing that's why he's actually Wheezy, someone got him wet!

My first impression too. But, like you, it's grown on me. ::yes::

It helps to ride in the back, I think! It is a really cute ride.

Now there's a good idea!! The ones they have are such an afterthought and detract as you say.

Disney can use that idea FOR FREEEEE, just give us some nicely themed shade! :lmao:

August 2nd - Hollywood Studios!

After giving up on Toy Story Land due to the heat and ride breakdowns I noticed I noticed the Joffrey’s cart at the Toy Story Land entrance and stopped for some coffee that was on my to-try list!
47905673691_de8c8d067f_c.jpg

Round Em Up Latte - a playfully delicious latte with cookie butter and dulce de leche, topped with whipped cream, spinkles, and animal crackers.

I got mine without whipped cream because whipped cream is disgusting. It was a nice drink, not too sweet, but I did find sucking up sprinkles through a straw a bit off-putting. My face is so red!
40939685503_3ec31c443f_c.jpg

I modified my originally scheduled FP for Star Tours so that I could ride it ASAP. I had originally anticipated napping and going to the parks later, so lots of modifying occurred.
40939687293_fbe0be6daf_c.jpg

47854172892_150049a9b2_c.jpg

47854172912_3b18d37ee5_c.jpg

My favorite droid!
47116826694_31344d8b21_c.jpg

The ride sequence ended up being Storm Troopers, Leia as the transmission, Kashyyk, and then some busy prequels planet that I hadn’t seen in a loooong time. And, of course, I was not the rebel spy.

After Star Tours I modified my Tower of Terror FP so that it was good immediately.
47854172792_2d9856c650_c.jpg

40939687083_ba08e12054_c.jpg

40939687203_404ef193f2_c.jpg

40939686503_7eb4828ba0_c.jpg

I’m in the back, mean muggin’!
43745211874_795a449deb_c.jpg

While in the FP queue I had booked another Tower FP and modified it until it was good immediately. This time I was really very scared!
43745211834_84dabc1e83_c.jpg

Once again I booked another FP for Tower while in the queue and modified it so I could ride immediately after exiting! Back row for the third time!
43745211974_4d05d9e9e5_c.jpg

I did make a 4th FP for Tower, and even though I was having a ball riding over and over, I was starting to get pretty tired so I made the decision to exit the park.
40939686123_c2c299e496_c.jpg

I waited at the Pop Century bus stop for what seemed like a long time (but was probably really only 10 minutes). Since my room was so close to Art of Animation I would have jumped on that bus if it came first -- and spoiler alert, that would be the case most of the time -- but the buses arrived at the same time.

Once back at Pop I just spent some time relaxing. It is SUCH a luxury to have a hotel room to one’s self!
46990135345_8bb158bf80_c.jpg

I pulled down the Murphy bed, mostly to take a picture. Ignore the regular bed that I already demolished.
46990135115_c64ccbc1c0_c.jpg

Up next:
Disney Springs time!

Last edited:
August 2nd - Disney Springs!

I didn't end up napping (again) but I was able to relax and watch TV. I don't have cable so TV is a treat! Around 7 I headed back to the bus stops to meet up with some friends at Disney Springs. Hippy Dippy pool is always so photogenic.
47116826684_9748f516c8_c.jpg

47116826744_1a57fa593a_c.jpg

47116826954_ded935048b_c.jpg

47116826194_de4531100f_c.jpg

Once I got to Disney Springs I went straight to Sephora. I don’t know what it is with me and Sephora, but it’s the first store I always visit at Disney Springs! I’m sure I bought something, because that’s who I am!
47116826724_9f1fe107df_c.jpg

I met up with my friends Samira, her boyfriend Will, and Jeanette (another person I know through that Jack’s Mannequin message board) at The Polite Pig. Being from Kansas City, a BBQ capital of the world, The Polite Pig wasn’t very enticing so I decided to grab food elsewhere.

We shopped in the new World of Disney. It wasn’t completely finished, but enough to get an idea of what it would be. It wasn’t, and still isn’t my favorite, but it does have some nice touches. We next stopped in Marketplace Co-Op - I was on the lookout for the Coco/Dia de Muertos ears. I never did find them but my pal ended up buying them for me from Disneyland for Christmas! The girls and I took a photo together and then we went our separate ways so that I could eat.
47982836327_dba87d06f7_c.jpg

I settled on Earl of Sandwich and decided to try the pizza.
47116826864_1e3216e859_c.jpg

Pizza Bread - Pepperoni: Tangy Pizza Sauce, Italian Seasoning, Mozzarella and Pepperoni

The pizza was really good, the bread was nice and crispy and had the perfect amount of cheese! But I was so tired now that eating was a chore.

After eating I peeked in a few more stores - and noticed this hidden Mickey in the Christmas store.
47116826944_2f21487b2b_c.jpg

I was too tired to do much more so I made my way back to the bus stop.
40939686483_fe2ab0fed9_c.jpg

40939687063_052d1620a8_c.jpg

The Pop Century bus stop was soooo far away. And here started the trend of me taking Art of Animation buses home. Once back at Pop, I showered and quickly crashed as it had been a very long day!

Up Next: Animal Kingdom!

Last edited:

Real Life Update!

I also wanted to share that I booked a couple (non-Disney) vacations! This year my aunt is feeling up to visitors so I'll be returning to Lake Tahoe in August! Just look at this place!! It's absolutely one of my favorite places in the world; and the smell, all those evergreens... ahhh it's so amazing!
48085220578_7280a3e270_c.jpg

48085220908_944e047b96_c.jpg

48085181116_f354449b2d_c.jpg

48085181166_0ef8555f89_c.jpg

This is my favorite beach, Sand Harbor.
48085277082_bd77a98539_c.jpg

This is from a hike I did up Mt. Tallac, that I will absolutely not be repeating. It nearly killed me at the higher altitude, and most of the trail was jagged rocks, and there and back it was about 12 miles? But the view!
48085180091_5aa2e8ca7b_c.jpg

It'll probably be a pretty relaxing trip altogether. My dad is driving out there for longer than I'll be there, and I'm trying to convince him to do a hot air balloon ride. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had! It's the only hot air balloon that launches from a boat, and also lands on the boat! It was $300, but worth every penny, and when you land back on the boat they give you a champagne toast.
48085180511_7f2231e850_c.jpg

48085220678_b3a5ce39cb_c.jpg

The other vacation I booked is a trip to Montreal, Canada in September with one of my nomadic best friends! I've never been to Canada and I've heard such wonderful things about Montreal. If any of my Canadian friends have any recommendations, especially restaurants, I'd love to hear them. And can I just rant for a second how terrible it is booking on airlines that AREN'T Southwest? It's terrifying, for one, because you don't have the safety net of knowing you can cancel or change without fees; oh, and then there's fees everywhere! Wanna bring a bag on your vacation? HAHA, you're going to have to pay for that. Want to book your own seat so that you don't get stuck in the middle? That'll cost extra too!

Anyway, those are the trips I've got in the works, plus the Disneyland one in November. Thanks for letting me share my excitement!

And there it is! After being taunted through the entire June trip I was finally entering Toy Story Land! And it was HOT. But very cute!
It is so cute!
So, it must be a bit before my time, but all these other Slinky toys are actually real! I googled them on my last trip and was delighted by that! I also didn’t realize that Slinky Dog was a real toy. I just assumed it was something Disney made up for Toy Story.
I had a slinky when I was a little girl and loved it. I think they were first brought out in the 50's and then reissued in the 70's when I was growing up.
One of my favorite details is that Wheezy, a bath toy, is not for use in water!
Love that !
Andy’s drawing of his Slinky coaster is pretty cute. It’s also fun to see some aspects that were scrapped, like the toy soldier area.
This is one of my favourite details!
After Star Tours I modified my Tower of Terror FP so that it was good immediately.
You had great FP luck!
Once back at Pop I just spent some time relaxing. It is SUCH a luxury to have a hotel room to one’s self!
One of my favourite parts of solo travel!
I didn't end up napping (again) but I was able to relax and watch TV. I don't have cable so TV is a treat! Around 7 I headed back to the bus stops to meet up with some friends at Disney Springs. Hippy Dippy pool is always so photogenic.
I don't have cable either and my guilty pleaasure is to watch HGTV in bed after a long park day, lol!
Once I got to Disney Springs I went straight to Sephora. I don’t know what it is with me and Sephora, but it’s the first store I always visit at Disney Springs! I’m sure I bought something, because that’s who I am!
Who can resist Sephora?
The pizza was really good, the bread was nice and crispy and had the perfect amount of cheese! But I was so tired now that eating was a chore.
The pizza looked amazing!

Limitless rides on ToT, wow!! This is a perk of being solo no doubt!

We always stop in Sephora at DS, Andi always finds something she can’t live without, even though she never wears makeup :confused3

Your fall trips look amazing! My son always says why don’t you go to other places besides Disney, haha! I have been super fortunate and have traveled around the world when I was younger, loved it!!

How fun you got to ride ToT three times in a row!

Lake Tahoe looks beautiful;. I just googled it to see if it's within driving distance from me…it's not even close! Haha! I think I was thinking of Lake George or something :rotfl2:

3 rides on ToT with FP is awesome!! Crazy that you could have done it a 4th time too if you wanted!

Sounds like a nice night at DS!

Sounds like 2 really fun trips lined up!! Lake Tahoe looks beautiful!

OK is pretty close so maybe we'll run into each other at a show sometime... I've been known to travel quite a lot for Andrew!

Yes, me too! All of my first SoCo shows were usually in Lawrence, KS, maybe we were at some of the same ones! Or when they did their little reunion show in KC back in like 2011 or so 😄 My brother in law takes pictures for Andrew (and Zac Clark) sometimes, so let me know if you’re ever going to any shows in the OK/KC/TX area and he could prob get us the hook up 😊OR you should also go see Hanson at Eat to the Beat in Oct!

Round Em Up Latte - a playfully delicious latte with cookie butter and dulce de leche, topped with whipped cream, spinkles, and animal crackers.

Omg I need this 🤤

Loving your trip report so far! Who needs sleep? You're on vacation! Have a great time in Lake Tahoe! I lived in Napa for 10 years and we used to go up there for long weekends! It is so beautiful! When you go to Montreal, stop in for a Fairmount Bagel, so good, and of course, if you are out drinking late at night, nothing soaks up the alcohol better than an order of Poutine!
😎

Hi there, joining in!

I don't know if it's just me but I'm having issues viewing your photos (just realised could be because I'm meant to be working...ssh I'll go and open your TR on my phone instead) :laughing:

I stayed at Pop Century Resort on my last trip and loved it! Going to go and look at all the pics of the resort and your day at DHS :goodvibes

Edit: Caught up on all the pics (great shots) and looking forward to your time at AK.

Last edited:
It is so cute!

Definitely cute, they nailed that!

I had a slinky when I was a little girl and loved it. I think they were first brought out in the 50's and then reissued in the 70's when I was growing up.

One of the Slinky animals? I would have loved that, but I only ever had boring old Slinkys!

Love that !

Disney is good at those details!

This is one of my favourite details!

There's so much to look at! It'd be a cool art print.

You had great FP luck!

It's so much easier with just one person!

One of my favourite parts of solo travel!

Me too! Dreaming of when I can do it again!

I don't have cable either and my guilty pleaasure is to watch HGTV in bed after a long park day, lol!

Yesss, that's my favorite! I love House Hunters! I watched my fair share of Disney too, just seemed appropriate.

Who can resist Sephora?

Certainly not me!

The pizza looked amazing!

It was! I wish I had been less tired so that I could have enjoyed it more.

Limitless rides on ToT, wow!! This is a perk of being solo no doubt!

We always stop in Sephora at DS, Andi always finds something she can’t live without, even though she never wears makeup :confused3

Your fall trips look amazing! My son always says why don’t you go to other places besides Disney, haha! I have been super fortunate and have traveled around the world when I was younger, loved it!!

Yeah, even if you could pull off getting repeat FPs with multiple travelers there's no guarantee anyone else will want to ride repeatedly! Loved this aspect.

They have skincare too! Haha. I seem to always end up buying sunscreen because they have unique stuff. And makeup stuff, cause I need it!

I'm pretty excited for them. It's great to travel new places, I want to see so much; but I also like returning to familiar, comfortable places, like Disney.

How fun you got to ride ToT three times in a row!

Lake Tahoe looks beautiful;. I just googled it to see if it's within driving distance from me…it's not even close! Haha! I think I was thinking of Lake George or something :rotfl2:

I was pretty excited to ride my favorite that many times!

Haha, how far away is it? I've roadtripped there before, it was only 21 hours away :rotfl:

3 rides on ToT with FP is awesome!! Crazy that you could have done it a 4th time too if you wanted!

Sounds like a nice night at DS!

Sounds like 2 really fun trips lined up!! Lake Tahoe looks beautiful!

I was pretty happy with my FP luck!

So excited to cross another country off my list, and return to Tahoe.

Yes, me too! All of my first SoCo shows were usually in Lawrence, KS, maybe we were at some of the same ones! Or when they did their little reunion show in KC back in like 2011 or so 😄 My brother in law takes pictures for Andrew (and Zac Clark) sometimes, so let me know if you’re ever going to any shows in the OK/KC/TX area and he could prob get us the hook up 😊OR you should also go see Hanson at Eat to the Beat in Oct!

Oh nice! I only went to one SoCo show before they broke up and that was in Columbia, MO. I saw the Jacks Mannequin reunion show in Lawrence! And I pretty much always go to the Kansas City shows. I've also been to a few Oklahoma shows! I wonder if I know your cousin! I've met so many people through Andrew.

Eat to the Beat sounds fun, but I'm also a little intimidated by seeing Hanson in Oklahoma. Hanson fans are INTENSE!

Omg I need this 🤤

I don't think it's around anymore! It sounds and looks better than it was, promise!

Loving your trip report so far! Who needs sleep? You're on vacation! Have a great time in Lake Tahoe! I lived in Napa for 10 years and we used to go up there for long weekends! It is so beautiful! When you go to Montreal, stop in for a Fairmount Bagel, so good, and of course, if you are out drinking late at night, nothing soaks up the alcohol better than an order of Poutine!
😎

No sleep in Disney!

That would be great to take weekend trips to Tahoe. There's so many beautiful hikes and things to see.

I was just reading about Montreal bagels! I'll be sure to check that out. Will also definitely try some poutine, even though cheese curds weird me out!

Hi there, joining in!

I don't know if it's just me but I'm having issues viewing your photos (just realised could be because I'm meant to be working...ssh I'll go and open your TR on my phone instead) :laughing:

I stayed at Pop Century Resort on my last trip and loved it! Going to go and look at all the pics of the resort and your day at DHS :goodvibes

Edit: Caught up on all the pics (great shots) and looking forward to your time at AK.

You got the pictures to work?? How dare work block them!

Thanks for reading! Pop Century was a great resort, glad I got to stay there!

August 3rd - Animal Kingdom Morning!

After a great night of sleep I woke up around 8:30 and headed straight to the Everything POP food court for breakfast. I never tired of the view outside my door.
46990135705_3b8e68d793_c.jpg

Walking by Hippy Dippy pool every day also made me happy.
40939686603_601da5d1a3_c.jpg

At the food court I noticed this adorable cupcake. It didn’t sound like a flavor combo I would enjoy, but it sure was cute.
47954215688_a5bb1d7611_c.jpg

On recent trips my dad and I would share a breakfast meal and that was the perfect amount of food, so all the adult portions were sounding like too much food. Then I realized I could order the kid’s meal, and it ended up being a great decision.
47954215823_6a5021a6b2_c.jpg

Waffles - served with Dannon® Danimals® Smoothie, Grapes, and Small Dasani® Bottled Water or Small Lowfat Milk

The only bummer about this meal is that Disney STILL serves margarine rather than butter. Why don’t they love us?

After breakfast it was time to head to Animal Kingdom!
47906864241_8ac03bca1e_c.jpg

It looks like I arrived around 10:35 and it was another bright, beautiful day!
47954212798_84e87a5a1d_c.jpg

For the first time I actually saw De-Vine! She blends in so well, really such a cool thing.
47954206352_e7a30733e8_c.jpg

47991625056_ec240ee9b1_c.jpg

I said hi to Samira and Will, who I believe were waiting in line for Dug and Russell. She showed me some ears that she had made me! You’ll see them later in the trip, I let them hang onto them for the time being because I didn’t have any room for them in my bag. I left them and went to use my first FP at Everest.
47954205152_f7432f8d49_c.jpg

47954236946_4cf4916349_c.jpg

What a peaceful ride through some tranquil countryside!
47954203472_eec8fc16d3_c.jpg

47954224678_0b132c1bf9_c.jpg

Uh oh…
47954213438_df84b3e330_c.jpg

47954246251_aa3944f2ee_c.jpg

There doesn’t seem to be any track! Side note, I really, really hate that people have decided throwing hair ties at the top of Everest is a cool thing to do. How did this start? Why is it still continuing? Leave no trace should become a theme park motto as well. You don’t need to leave your mark on the park, people!

Anywho, here’s a terrible ride photo. It weirdly looks like it’s night out.
44413550932_61d8e340fd_c.jpg

Mountain conquered, I met back up with Samira and Will. We took the long way to DinoLand. Maybe we had other plans in mind.
47854803592_60357e4984_c.jpg

It did give me the opportunity to grab some pictures at this PhotoPass spot. I don’t often see PhotoPass out there, so I found it kind of cool.
43745212594_f6b997a96c_c.jpg

We also noticed PhotoPass behind the Tree of Life! The location they were taking photos was off the main path, so the CM would stand up at the top of the trail to entice people!
47372618592_8baf9c5bda_c.jpg

It wasn’t a great time of day in regards to lighting, so these aren’t my favorite pics, but still a cool location.
46510321505_c4c57694ab_c.jpg

47372618942_54070036b4_c.jpg

I believe dino Chip and Dale were our end destination, but we couldn’t pass up an opportunity to meet Timon! .
47991582718_4223d15576_c.jpg

47854803372_e415048ea8_c.jpg

47954207357_aa30083332_c.jpg

Timon is such a peppy character to meet.
30593419528_a5acbb77dd_c.jpg

So peppy, that in his excitement he whacked me with his tail. He then proceeded to scold his tail for being unruly.
43745212754_2056578af3_c.jpg

Nothing like a character meet to bring out those double chins, eh?
44413553902_a2995a8ee6_c.jpg

44463147601_7a66f7f883_c.jpg

44463147791_e537073804_c.jpg

Up next:
More wandering through the park!

Last edited:
Haha, how far away is it? I've roadtripped there before, it was only 21 hours away :rotfl:

Too far!
Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 6.10.22 AM.png

Side note, I really, really hate that people have decided throwing hair ties at the top of Everest is a cool thing to do. How did this start? Why is it still continuing? Leave no trace should become a theme park motto as well. You don’t need to leave your mark on the park, people!

I don't understand this at all. It looks terrible. And yet, I think they would have to close the ride to get them so I understand why they get left there.

It did give me the opportunity to grab some pictures at this PhotoPass spot. I don’t often see PhotoPass out there, so I found it kind of cool.
43745212594_f6b997a96c_c.jpg

I love that spot and have never seen a PP there. Cute!

So peppy, that in his excitement he whacked me with his tail. He then proceeded to scold his tail for being unruly.
43745212754_2056578af3_c.jpg

How fun!

I love all your pictures, Timon is so cute. We haven’t met him yet, maybe this August?

I agree, what is with the hair ties! Andi absolutely hates this, she is super planet conscious, sometime to the point of annoying, haha!

She will not drink water out of anything plastic, makes it hard in the heat of August!

Ah that banana split cupcake looks nice but I’m with you...not sure it’d taste great.

That’s a good tip about ordering a kids meal as I split most of my meals on my last Disney trip :thumbsup2

I love De-Vine and how she blends in so easily.

Uh-oh on the track ending on EE and I didn’t know that about hair ties being thrown...ugh, hopefully it’ll stop soon.

Cool meet and greet with Timon...love the photos :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!