A grand(-ma) adventure...APRIL 2018 PTR UPDATED 3/22

hakunamomtata

Disnerd Extraordinaire
Howdy everyone! Welcome to our PTR for this crazy, wild ride we're about to take. And no, I don't mean Space Mountain!

I'll do the introductions first and then I'll get into the nitty gritty of this trip.

IMG_1830.JPG

It's me! My name is Jen.
I never visited Disney as a child. Trust me, I dreamt about it. My first visit was
on my honeymoon in 2012. The minute I walked onto Main Street, USA I fell in love. I
have been disney obsessed ever since. We have visited 4 times - September 2012 (honeymoon), September 2014, November 2015, May 2017. And soon we'll be on our 5th trip... April 2018!

Favorite Park : Magic Kingdom!
Favorite Ride : Carousel of Progress
Favorite Restaurant : Be Our Guest

IMG_1091.JPG

My absolutely crazy (wonderful) husband, Shaun.
It's impossible to get a "normal" picture of him, but this is exactly his personality. He's a huge
joker and big disney fan. Not as much as me, but I plan our trips and he gets a vacation out of
it so he doesn't complain (much)...haha. He first visited WDW when he was 9 and went a bunch more
times as a kid. He's been about 20 times...but only 4 with me, so I tend to ignore those "other" trips ;)

Favorite Park : Epcot
Favorite Ride : RNR
Favorite Restaurant : California Grill

And pictured in the middle is our oldest DS Gavin!
He's 6, and he will be 7 the day we leave for Disney. It's a HUGE deal that we're going on
his birthday. He's been telling EVERYONE that he's having his birthday party
in DISNEY WORLD. This little traveler has been to WDW with us twice, this will be his 3rd trip.

Favorite Park : Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride : BTMRR
Favorite Restaurant : The Plaza Restaurant

IMG_20171025_162050_274.jpg

This little rockstar is our youngest DS, Logan!
He's technically been to WDW once.... in the safety of my belly. Haha! I was about 3 months along with him on our November 2015 trip. He absolutely loves watching Mickey and friends on TV. He loves Toodles and even says "Oh toooodles!" when it's time for a mousekatool. He will be almost 2 when we go this time. Still not 2 though, so he flies free. Woo hoo!

Favorite Park : I'm going to venture to guess it'll be DHS, given the huge amount of Disney Junior opportunity there.
Favorite Ride : Hmm.. He's a thrill seeker, so he might love Dumbo given the height.
Favorite Restaurant : Anything that serves chicken nuggets... HAHA!

And not pictured, but will be joining us, is my husband's grandmother, Maddie. She raised him and she's only just turned 70, but she is in extremely good health and very fit both mentally and physically for her age. She's never been to Disney and has always wanted to visit, so we decided to invite her along
for this crazy wild ride. We get along well, but of course like any normal family there's always petty arguments when you're together for over a week in a hotel room... lol. I'm sure we will have a blast.

She does not like heights but is okay with coasters. Her only request is "one nice sit down meal and to see the animals on that safari". I can't tell you how many times she's asked me to make sure we get tickets to see the animal kingdom. She really has no idea how Disney works.

So, welcome to our pre-trip plans! We leave in 28 days.
I've planned every aspect of this trip for everyone. There have been huge changes after changes after changes in our planning escapades. Originally we were booked for a room for 5 days at OKW. After a lot of talking, thinking, reading... we decided to change over to a Lion King Family Suite as Art of Animation for 9 days. So our trip will be 4/17-4/25 at AoA. Final answer! :yay:

We live about an hour from our closest airport, so the day before we will be heading south and staying in a hotel near the airport. My mum lives near the airport, so we'll be able to leave our car with her and she will drop me off at the hotel. They offer airport shuttles, so I don't have to pay to park our car at the airport for the duration of our trip. WOOHOO.

I booked the earliest flight possible, at 5AM. Our youngest DS Logan is a morning person, so I'm hoping if we get him up early to get on the plane, he will be happy about it rather than getting him on a plane in the middle of his normal naptime. We'll change to our second leg of the flight at 9AM, then maybe fall he will fall asleep for a nap when we're in the air on that one. We're scheduled to get into MCO around 11AM.

I requested an early check in above all other requests at AoA. I truly do not care about what room we get. I'd like to be closer to transportation, but the Lion King buildings are pretty close either way so I'm not too worried.

This trip we're not doing a dining plan. I am super nervous about this since we always do a dining plan
and I love not having to worry about the cost of everything. But we really wanted the freedom of just doing what we wanted and not feeling pressured to eat certain things. Plus now we can share meals, which I usually do with my oldest DS anyway since he doesn't eat much.

As of right now this is how our plan looks:

DAY ONE
4/17

Travel / relax at the hotel. Pool!

DAY TWO
4/18
EPCOT

Spaceship Earth (G,S,J,M) 9:10-10:10
Mission Space (G,S) 10:15-11:15
Test Track ( J,M) 10:10-11:10
Soarin (G,S) 11:20-12:20
Living w/Land (J,M) 11:10-12:10

No ADRs.
I'm hoping to take advantage of the rider switch this trip...we'll see.

DAY 3
4/19
MAGIC KINGDOM

Trails End 9:20AM

Buzz Lightyear Spin (G,J,S,M) 9:45-10:45
Space Mountain (J,S,G) 10:45-11:45
7DMT (S,G,M) 11:45-12:45
Winnie the Pooh 11:55-12:55 (J)

Be Our Guest 12:50PM

DAY 4
4/20
ANIMAL KINGDOM

Kilimanjaro Safari (J,G,S,M) 9:10-10:10
Expedition Everest (J,G) 10:10-11:10
Dinosaur (S,M) 10:35-11:35
N'avi River Journey (S,J,G,M) 12:50-1:50

Raglan Road 6PM

DAY 5
4/21
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

Rock N Rollercoaster (S,G) 9:15-10:15
Tower of Terror (J,M) 9:00-10:00
Star Tours (S,J,G,M) 10:45-11:45
Indiana Jones (S,J,G,M) 11:40 Arrival

DAY 6
4/22
ANIMAL KINGDOM

Tusker House 9:10AM

Flight of Passage (S,G,J,M) 9:45-10:45
Kilimanjaro Safari (S,J,G,M) 10:45-11:45
Expedition Everest (S,J,G,M) 11:50-12:50

DAY 7
4/23
EPCOT

Spaceship Earth (S,G,J,M) 9:05-10:05
Soarin (J,M)10:05-11:05
Living with the Land (S,J,G,M) 11:10-11:30
Test Track (G,S) 11:45-12:45

Chefs de France 12:50

DAY 8
4/24
MAGIC KINGDOM

Pirates (S,J,G,M) 9:25-10:25
BTMRR (S,M) 10:25-11:25
Splash (J,G) 10:25-11:25
Haunted Mansion (J,G,S,M) 11:55-12:55

The Plaza 12:00

Our Magic Bands just shipped TODAY!!!!
:jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1:

Okay - so that's all I have for now! I'll be updating this until we leave for our trip. Then I'll move us on over to the Trip Report board for a total play by play of how our trip went! I'm so excited to take you all along with us on this crazy wild ride.

A little ones first trip? GRANDMAS FIRST TRIP?! Hello pressure! Do you think my planning will hold up? LOL

We'll be there during this time too :) Hope you have a great trip!

ETA: We'll also be at EP on Monday 4/23 and our Soarin' windows overlap!

GUESS WHAT CAME TODAY!!

Snapchat-802961019.jpg

AH!

I might have screamed...lol. We went to the mall on the hunt for a back carrier for Logan.
I don't think he will want to be in the stroller the entire time..and it seems easier to toss a carrier in my backpack and then take it out when we want to use it.

I also found the cutest nikes for Logan on clearance! Woo hoo! He won't be doing a TON of walking...
but he should be stylish too, right?! :)

I made my goal for today to pack the suitcase with all the snacks and diapers we're going to need.
My plan is to fill one suitcase with the goodies and things we will use while we're there that we won't be bringing back (i.e snacks, drinks, diapers, wipes..etc). Then it'll be all used when we leave and I'll have an entire suitcase for our souvenirs. Brilliant...right?! LOL

I am getting kind of nervous about having mostly carry ons. We only have one suitcase going in checked luggage...the rest we are going to fit into carryons. We should be able to do it.

RIGHT?! LOL :panic:

We will be there pretty much the same time as you but splitting our time between Universal (staying at Cabana Bay) and WDW. Our 3 Disney days we will be at the exact same parks!! 22nd at AK, 23rd at EP and 24th at MK. :banana:

We're in the teens. 19 days and counting!!!!

Today I'm going to be doing some serious laundry and packing. We only really have 2 weeks left where we will need clothes. So I'm convinced that at this point, I can easily wash and pack whatever we plan to wear in Disney and make the remainder of our wardrobes work. I found the other day Shaun had gone through the luggage and worn TWO OUTFITS....without telling me! The nerve of that man... ha! :rolleyes:

I was in Kohls the other day picking up an online order and just had to swing through the clearance section.
I found this cute little onesie :

ee45d2b6c54cbf7e40df1e22629ac9d2.jpg

I know the plane can get chilly, so I grabbed this for Logan...for 3 bucks! I also found some super cute thin grey joggers for him since the only pants we have for him are thick sweats or jeans. I want him to be comfy and stylish for the plane. I'm gonna have shorts and a t shirt in our carry on to change him into once we hit MCO.

I've been stalking the Jet Blue site to check our flights. We still aren't a full flight. I assigned us a window seat and aisle seat, hoping that the middle seat stays vacant and we can put Logan there to nap (not during take off or landing). I know it's a shot in the dark... but it's worth a try. Worst case scenario, I'll ask whoever gets the center seat to switch with me and take the aisle seat. I really doubt it'll come to that because any flights we have been on have been only 3/4 full. When I booked the flight, they informed me that Logan (being a lap infant because he's not 2) could occupy an empty seat if the flight is not fully booked. So I went ahead and got an airplane safe seat harness for him just incase we hit it lucky.

As for Gavin... he's been getting into some mischievous behavior at school and is currently grounded. He hasn't quite gotten the hint about needing to behave himself... so it's come down to a one more strike system. If he gets in trouble again, he won't be going to Disney with us. He'll be staying home with my parents for the duration of the trip. It's a tough call for us to make, and I really hope he gets his act together. I just refuse to reward bad behavior. It'll be easy enough for us to bump down to only 4 people on the reservation and just eat the cost of his flight (since it was free anyway...lol). I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that, but alas...parenting. LOL.

I've been stalking the ADRs on MDE to try to grab a Kona Cafe for our first park day breakfast. The only time currently available is 7:50AM.... too early for us, no thanks! HA! Here's to hoping something else comes up soon.

That's all for now! Happy Easter, y'all!

WooHoo 19 days!! :cool1:
I love the onesie....super cute!! I hope your middle seat stays open.....that would be great to be able to use it (for free!!)
I think all kids are going thru a rough patch right now....it always seems to happen at the beginning of spring......just tired of the cold weather and going stir crazy (at least here they are......lots of rain this winter) Hopefully the Disney trip will keep him focused the next couple weeks.
I have the 3 meals we want at WDW but have a back-up for each one and I have the dining page up to find better times and check it multiple times a day. I need the back-up because we don't know our son's & his gf's work schedules yet. Hope you get a better Kona time. I love Kona but our last trip was not good there so we are skipping it this trip.

WooHoo 19 days!! :cool1:
I love the onesie....super cute!! I hope your middle seat stays open.....that would be great to be able to use it (for free!!)
I think all kids are going thru a rough patch right now....it always seems to happen at the beginning of spring......just tired of the cold weather and going stir crazy (at least here they are......lots of rain this winter) Hopefully the Disney trip will keep him focused the next couple weeks.
I have the 3 meals we want at WDW but have a back-up for each one and I have the dining page up to find better times and check it multiple times a day. I need the back-up because we don't know our son's & his gf's work schedules yet. Hope you get a better Kona time. I love Kona but our last trip was not good there so we are skipping it this trip.

My husband and I just got done talking and we are still going to take the little guy with us...even if he doesn't know until the day we leave LOL!

I've heard some other bad experiences at Kona in the past few months also... so I'm now thinking we will just skip it. I'm so used to having all ADRs but I have to remind myself we are trying to be more relaxed this trip..lol!

My husband and I just got done talking and we are still going to take the little guy with us...even if he doesn't know until the day we leave LOL!

I've heard some other bad experiences at Kona in the past few months also... so I'm now thinking we will just skip it. I'm so used to having all ADRs but I have to remind myself we are trying to be more relaxed this trip..lol!

The little guy won't know that so hopefully that keeps him in line!! lol

Our bad experience there was in 2015 when we took the whole family. They put 8 of us (1 in a wheelchair and it was on the reservation) at a 6 top and we were packed in. My son's breakfast had half an egg's worth of shells and my eggs were raw.....like the white's were clear and snot like. They replaced it but it took forever and everyone else was done by the time I got it. The restaurant was over packed and not enough servers. Service was very slow (I did not blame the waiter because it looked like he was covering half the restaurant himself). Just disappointed but will try again some day.

I'm an uber planner so I usually have all the ADR's done and even the QS meals lined out.......this trip just dinners are mapped out and reserved at WDW.....the ones at Universal CityWalk is a "we'll just wing it".

Oh my gosh.... so I caved. I CANT DO THIS WITHOUT ADRS!!!

So I called today, added the dining plan back on, and now I'm in a mad dash to get ADRs added in and plans adjusted. AH!

What the heck is wrong with me? I think I just do this to myself for the fun of it....LOL

Okay. Quickest update ever - I need to get those ADRs!!

Oh my gosh.... so I caved. I CANT DO THIS WITHOUT ADRS!!!

So I called today, added the dining plan back on, and now I'm in a mad dash to get ADRs added in and plans adjusted. AH!

What the heck is wrong with me? I think I just do this to myself for the fun of it....LOL

Okay. Quickest update ever - I need to get those ADRs!!

:rotfl:Good luck getting your ADR's!!!

So I grabbed the ADRs we wanted that were available. Woohoo!

Day 1: Teppan Edo (L)

Day 2: Trails End (B)
BOG (L)

Day 3: T-Rex (D)

Day 4: -empty-

Day 5: Tusker House (B)

Day 6: Chefs de France (L)

Day 7: Liberty Tree Tavern (L)
Trails End (D)

I'm still looking to see what opens up and might add one or two. I had H&V for our HS day...but honestly we never like it and we can see all the characters elsewhere. I don't like any of the H&V table service meals so we might just make it a QS day. I do know we are heading back to HS for Fantasmic that night, so we may go to a resort for dinner before Fantasmic.

So I grabbed the ADRs we wanted that were available. Woohoo!

Day 1: Teppan Edo (L)

Day 2: Trails End (B)
BOG (L)

Day 3: T-Rex (D)

Day 4: -empty-

Day 5: Tusker House (B)

Day 6: Chefs de France (L)

Day 7: Liberty Tree Tavern (L)
Trails End (D)

I'm still looking to see what opens up and might add one or two. I had H&V for our HS day...but honestly we never like it and we can see all the characters elsewhere. I don't like any of the H&V table service meals so we might just make it a QS day. I do know we are heading back to HS for Fantasmic that night, so we may go to a resort for dinner before Fantasmic.

I've only done Tusker House & Chef's de France that is on your list. We loved Sci-Fi at HS......we enjoy doing the throwback meal at the Prime Time??.....the food is ok but the experience is fun.

:yay::yay::yay:ONE WEEK OUT Y'ALL!! WOOT WOOOT! :yay::yay::yay:

I've added some more ADRs into our plans. For our HS day I caved in and booked 50s Prime Time for lunch. I also booked The Edison in DS for one of our other days since I know we're going to be walking around there a couple times.

I finished all the major packing, the only thing left now is medications and tooth brushes. I've been focusing on finishing up the housework and getting everything in order so when we come back I won't have a ton of stuff to do besides cry since I'll be so deep in PDD. :guilty:

Maddie has been getting really excited about our trip. She's taking me to get our nails done this Thursday and all she can do is squeal and ask a ton of questions about the parks. I'm so excited to show her around!

I'm starting to feel like I'm not acknowledging Gavin's birthday enough so I might squeak in an in room celebration for him. Not sure yet but I know it's getting down to the wire so....I guess I need to get my butt in gear with decisions! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!