A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

Ok, that’s just a (not-so) short sampling of the merch provided at SHDL. I still am going thru everything I bought! Overall, they had a good amount of items. And the merch offerings were similar to the US parks (Hong Kong too), though plenty of unique items!
Reading this is getting me so excited about our upcoming trip. (we leave sat) I'm making a mental list of merchandise I want, including the chip & dale poncho which I can at least wear at home....

I love the fall decorations in the resort lobby.

I also had no clue there were races in the Asia parks. I yelled at Alex, "New Disney goal! Gotta try to run in all the parks now!" :rotfl:

That is a huge Donald inflatable. Wow...

I loved the merchandise updates. So many unique and adorable items. I don't particularly like Duffy, but those plushes with him dressed up as various Disney characters were awesome.

they are affordable (about $35 each way)
Wow that's super reasonable

I figured other mornings I would be taking the bus over, so this was my chance to walk!
Do you remember about how long the walk was? I feel like I'll get too antsy to wait for a bus

This is the “Magic Bridge”; seems like a simple bridge, but there was actually some explanation that it’s structurally complicated, with a single-side suspension (only being supported from one side), one of the first ones in China. (Sorry-my undergrad was in Structural Engineering, so it was pretty interesting to me!)
That's super cool!

I don’t know how long the Godzilla Duck is going to stick around, but you can’t miss it if you visit!
Godzilla Duck :rotfl:

Lots and lots of barriers!
Holy switchbacks batman!

They have a whole “City” line of merch.

Now for the, “Lesley tries on crazy hats” portion of this installment…
My favorite portion!

I only realized when going thru my photos, but these were the character representatives of the Chinese zodiac!
Oh wow that's so cute!!

I can already feel my bank account being depleted. That merch is amazing.

How I felt after this trip!

K1MZBGr.jpg
OVkqFgO.jpg
:rotfl: :rotfl: Um yeah, this would be me too!! While I'm excited to see the Asian parks, I'm also realistic in that I need to get my hands on all. that. amazing. cuteness!. Chip and Dale are my favorites, so I love that they're always well represented there. (and how sad I am that the first time in three years I won't be a wdw for the holidays, the year they also decide to go all in on Chip/Dale Epcot merch :sad2: )

The Chip/Dale was especially cute since it was reversible!

NnFTiRo.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! I'd never take it off. I'd wear it to the high school to pick up the kids for appointments and ruin their lives :rotfl: Actually, they'd both probably want one of their own, lol

I've saved the links you added, like for the Orange car service. I appreciate you putting those in - I can add them to my "when we eventually go" file for reference!!

Great update! Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is so beautiful :lovestruc If I ever get to visit someday, I definitely would save up my pennies to stay there instead of anywhere else!

Duffy merchandise is super adorable - it would be hard to choose which one or two or three to bring home! I recently was given a Duffy/Shellie May Valentine's Day plush set from Shanghai Disneyland and fell in love with the collection. 458877

Reading this is getting me so excited about our upcoming trip. (we leave sat) I'm making a mental list of merchandise I want, including the chip & dale poncho which I can at least wear at home....
I hope you have so much fun!
I love the fall decorations in the resort lobby.

I also had no clue there were races in the Asia parks. I yelled at Alex, "New Disney goal! Gotta try to run in all the parks now!" :rotfl:

That is a huge Donald inflatable. Wow...

I loved the merchandise updates. So many unique and adorable items. I don't particularly like Duffy, but those plushes with him dressed up as various Disney characters were awesome.
Haha, Hong Kong also has a race! It actually was the weekend after I was there, so Shanghai/HK may be coordinated to help people do them both? I don’t think Tokyo has any, and of course DL is on hold indefinitely.
Great updates! Will you share what you bought?
Yeah definitely! Still trying to go thru things I bought-when I got home it was easier to throw all my bags into a plastic tub and I’m slowly going thru it!
Do you remember about how long the walk was? I feel like I'll get too antsy to wait for a bus
It was about 15 min or so. BUT, it’s better to take the bus. Hotel guests get 1-hr early entry and the bus drops you off right by that entrance. When I was there early entry officially started at 8, but they opened early around 7:45. I was on first bus at 7:30 and one of the first 10-20 people in the park each day. If you walk, apparently you get rerouted around towards the main entrance and have to work thru all those people arriving from parking and metro in order to get to the Disneytown entrance!
Ahhhhh!!! I'd never take it off. I'd wear it to the high school to pick up the kids for appointments and ruin their lives :rotfl: Actually, they'd both probably want one of their own, lol

I've saved the links you added, like for the Orange car service. I appreciate you putting those in - I can add them to my "when we eventually go" file for reference!!
Of course! And I’m sure your boys would love that!
Great update! Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is so beautiful :lovestruc If I ever get to visit someday, I definitely would save up my pennies to stay there instead of anywhere else!

Duffy merchandise is super adorable - it would be hard to choose which one or two or three to bring home! I recently was given a Duffy/Shellie May Valentine's Day plush set from Shanghai Disneyland and fell in love with the collection. View attachment 458877
Yeah I was never a huge fan of Duffy but the Asian parks made them so irresistible! I ended up coming home with a normal sized Gelatoni, cookie, and Stella Lou, all who had an outfit! And so many plush keychains!

It was about 15 min or so. BUT, it’s better to take the bus. Hotel guests get 1-hr early entry and the bus drops you off right by that entrance. When I was there early entry officially started at 8, but they opened early around 7:45. I was on first bus at 7:30 and one of the first 10-20 people in the park each day. If you walk, apparently you get rerouted around towards the main entrance and have to work thru all those people arriving from parking and metro in order to get to the Disneytown entrance!
Oh good to know!

Interesting fact about getting to choose an extra FP if you buy when you get there!

The inflatable Donald is so cool!

So much cute merchandise!

Interesting fact about getting to choose an extra FP if you buy when you get there!

The inflatable Donald is so cool!

So much cute merchandise!
Yeah, the FP is definitely tricky! Especially because if I didn't know to wait to buy tickets, I would have gotten them before arriving! But at least that was take care of!

Day 1, Part 2 - Exploring Disneytown, Room photos, Lumiere's dinner

After clearing out my bank account, I wandered around Disneytown a bit. My original plan was to get lunch, and I was hungry, but I was that level of hungry where nothing sounds appetizing. It was also pretty warm and I was in a long sleeve shirt plus jeans. And tired from the plane, and just overwhelmed by being there and everything! I did end up getting an ice cream, which was pretty good. But I ended up basically skipping lunch.

ClCbTOy.jpg

They had some cute Halloween decorations, with pumpkins galore! I’m sure it would be really nice at night, but I never walked through there after dark.

v8BaDKh.jpg
7UZ6h2s.jpg
AtvDkeG.jpg
6GY7voS.jpg
q4FZDnC.jpg
1daMnQu.jpg
spD6ySV.jpg
hSBApox.jpg

These Beauty and the Beast pumpkins were outside the theatre where they have a Mandarin Broadway version.

P2C2tlz.jpg

I wish they had this in a poster!

bQCP1iI.jpg

And this is the special entrance to Disneyland. I know it can be used by hotel guests at all times; I think in the mornings regular guests can only use it for re-entry? But it’s much easier in the mornings than the main entrance!

AMJH33w.jpg

I wandered through a bread store, and considered getting something, but just was feeling exhausted! It was pretty cute though!

G3Dhk3u.jpg
EqZfvXM.jpg

After a couple hours in DT, I made my way over to the buses, which were a bit out of the way due to the race activities and equipment. I also originally boarded a Toy Story Hotel bus, not the SHDLH bus because the stops weren’t well marked. Luckily I got off before it left though! There’s a nice fountain in a roundabout, which at night lights up in different colors (I don’t think I ever got a good photo though because of window reflections and just general movement, but trust me it’s pretty).

pYX3Zri.jpg

Back to the hotel and I thought I’d maybe get a pastry in the café. The offerings weren’t the best (it was in the off-hours between lunch and dinner) and the pastry I asked for, they didn’t have, so I basically just got a soda. I did end up with this fun straw though!

DllFSfD.jpg

It almost made up for having to drink icky Pepsi for several days! (If you don’t know, Shanghai Disney is the only Disney that doesn’t serve Coke; it was a big deal when it was announced. I’m not the biggest fan of Pepsi, but I don’t like coffee, so I forced myself to drink it for the caffeine!) 😉

I hung out in the lobby for about 20 minutes and got to watch Goofy interact with some random guests, but I don’t think I took good photos. It was also cool how they had a Halloween music loop going on in the lobby, which really helped set the atmosphere.
(I thought I had a video but can’t seem to find one, so use your imagination…)

I wasn’t sure how strict they were with “3 pm”, but I did end up getting my room key around 2:50. I also went to bell services and gave them my claim check, so they would deliver my bags to my room.

The room was very close to the lobby, on the same floor, just around the corner. And it wasn’t noisy, which was nice. Also being on the lobby level, it meant my ceiling was insanely high! Like I’m guessing 15 ft tall!

GPeWq7m.png

Some pics around the room. The theme of the whole hotel seems to be music, so this was reflected in the rooms.

P3stCgW.jpg
9FhwTXl.jpg
sdd1zza.jpg
Z9Y2WNr.jpg
cpDx6F8.jpg
erxQXye.jpg
Hf0cdaS.jpg
LajWK2u.jpg

I didn’t realize it included a pull-down bed, so you could easily fit a family of 5 in here (not sure if it lets you book that many people though)

WbBRPyd.jpg
TIv7ebf.jpg

My view wasn’t anything special – some rooms do have views of the lake and castle, but I didn’t feel like paying the upcharge when I wouldn’t really enjoy it.

3oKHD51.jpg
GQGl7Y3.jpg

They also had plenty of water bottles – it’s not good to drink the tap water in Shanghai unless it’s been specially treated. And they refill the water bottles every day. They also had these cute hard plastic cups, which I think you were allowed to take with you… well I took one anyways!

CsNRsKF.jpg

And I loved the headboard! The button was right on the bedside table, so I would often activate it before going to bed at night and see the pixie dust lights in my room

giphy.gif

My bags also promptly arrived at my room – pretty much the same time I got there!

So I spent a bit of time resting and getting settled. Also had the TV on, and they had CNN, so I watched that (though it was the middle of the night in the US, so not exactly the most active news shows). It was interesting to see when something was being censored (specifically Hong Kong protests), as the announcer would start talking before suddenly the screen going black and no sound until the next news segment!

My new Chinese Minnie ears!

WjpMTJi.jpg

About 5:45 I left the room.

PGOMRJj.jpg
SRuJM8V.jpg
S4cf1iV.jpg
LeIF96w.jpg
tiWz5bL.jpg
W1REmNy.jpg

I did take some photos of the artwork in the lobby, which was so fun! I wish I could get prints of some of these! These were all on the walls behinds the CM desks.

pp1HhZu.jpg
TSusbDF.jpg
hUmIjRk.jpg
H0B4ktf.jpg
UDLdyug.jpg
aIkAq6F.jpg
mSQkxqM.jpg
jNcZeYk.jpg
rQgjTWL.jpg
YtFjC55.jpg

A CM saw me taking photos and scanned his card so I could get to the upper floors – because my room was on Level 3, I only had access to that level and Level 1, where the restaurant was. The next level up mostly had prints of things I would see in person in the parks

faoEhyh.jpg
wEpJvh0.jpg
6ZLwnYa.jpg
7AZNivq.jpg
vEARXmG.jpg
VdAVxHH.jpg
Z4cOd6Q.jpg
IQ2X6a7.jpg
JrHvmGE.jpg

But dinner this evening wasn’t far, as I was eating at Lumiere’s Kitchen in the hotel. This ended up being an excellent (albeit expensive) meal.

85NI0Vp.jpg
cUweMwk.jpg
uWMIvUJ.jpg
0XG6j9s.jpg
zPjLNbX.jpg
A5VdV2b.jpg

It started with a caramel lollipop… probably meant for kids, but meh, when on vacation! It’s funny how they were giving these away but they are soooo expensive at Epcot (I think at the Festival of the Arts it was over $15 for one of them)!

zJw2Eqe.jpg

I tried taking food photos, but it felt weird, as I was already a solo diner and a westerner, which made me really stick out!

FAutt01.jpg
L43oRrA.jpg

“Hairy crab” – I like crab, but I skipped this because it doesn’t react well with me…

hKOu2ty.jpg
ZQd8BtR.jpg

Chinese Duck pancakes (loved these, but I already knew that) & various tempura

CvttmOP.jpg
o51HWMp.jpg

Indian station, including some wacky pizzas (Thirteen spices prawn pizza anyone?)

vNfwLxt.jpg
QXx6FSu.jpg
C7IgpJc.jpg

Chinese hot dishes, Western hot dishes

UyxEbba.jpg
kCBqvN3.jpg
40Hbenu.jpg

Noodle station – for the soup, you would order it and come back in a couple minutes.

nvKDBvT.jpg
Y6hjNOd.jpg

A whole seafood counter in the center with every type I could imagine

sImuDFz.jpg
rkxTRWD.jpg
kbfeNzA.jpg
f47f5pG.jpg

A couple of my plates – I think some tempura, duck pancakes, chicken and mushroom, sticky ribs, and sushi, soba noodles, spring roll, lamb?

r1HwVr0.jpg
ymgRoTs.jpg

I think it was some special restaurant month, as when I was sitting there they just brought out a bird, all to myself. The girl brings it out, cuts it in half, smiles and leaves…. So I still don’t know for certain what type of bird it is – maybe a hen? But it seemed pretty small to be a full chicken? Whatever it was, was very yummy!

7g8Zz0x.jpg
fxWR1UC.jpg

Oh, and I also got my first experience with Asians liking warm water. They served me a glass and it was so warm (I think this is also due to needing to boil water to make it ok to drink, so they are just used to it being warm)! A bit of a shock and I tried to explain to the girl I wanted ice water and she didn’t understand…but brought it out anyways… oh well!

A really good thing about Lumiere’s was they had smaller versions of all the seasonal desserts, so I was able to try them out without having to buy full size ones! Very nice, as I wasn’t a huge fan of some of them!

W4RCVFM.jpg
vmqreoa.jpg
2cwWBDk.jpg
0EskY8m.jpg
7zRVXfO.jpg
HmZLTFj.jpg
jSnki39.jpg
8ZZqCWe.jpg
pIzrqGO.jpg
qtKjb1M.jpg
QzpBAHK.jpg
FZaxQwA.jpg
oR768m1.jpg

I don’t even remember if I got some of this chocolate fountain or fruit! And I totally forgot to get any of these mini desserts?

bHUXFtO.jpg
ZIVslUK.jpg

My actual dessert plate

fSB5F0I.jpg

Loved the Halloween carved gourds and watermelons

7QKYuKt.jpg
0e2hp8S.jpg
4p9Kr05.jpg

Lumiere’s is also a character meal (at breakfast and dinner only), and it was fun meeting them, as they were all excited to see me with my Minnie ears and Chinese mickey shirt (this was actually a different one from the long sleeve, but still a Lunar New Year shirt from DCA). It was also nice that they had the seasonal costumes on. All the characters have photopass photographers and character attendants. I accidentally misplaced my photopass card, which sucks as I know there were some cute shots, but at least the attendant also took photos with my phone!

FfktQS3.jpg
NkX7uiH.jpg
GqXgqvS.jpg
piSxiO2.jpg

I really got stuffed at this meal and couldn’t even try all the foods! I definitely recommend it, even though it is on the pricey side (though apparently hotel guests get 20% off – at least I did). SHDL doesn’t have many table service options; pretty much the ones in Disneytown (which includes some American chains like Cheesecake Factory), and 2 Disney ones – The Royal Table in the castle, and Lumiere’s at the hotel. Considering how much there is to do in the park, I preferred to skip Royal Table in favor of timing.

After the meal I must have stopped in the gift shop, where I was able to get the Shellie Mae halloween keychain, as well as some other items (I think a full Gelatoni and some pins).

Also some photos in the lobby – I did really like this and Disney Tourist Blog mentioned it feels like a cruise ship lobby, which I totally agree with!

zyaWAlS.jpg
YW8YAsJ.jpg
dIxwkLR.jpg
PXPwCPk.jpg
NiN0jfi.jpg
7qKY5ZT.jpg
eZ3kpc4.jpg

Then back to the room, where I got cleaned up and prepared for the next day, as I knew it would be an early start!

Coming up – my first day at Shanghai Disneyland!

Lets play a guessing game (and if you know the answer from my Instagram stories, don’t cheat):

-What do you think is my first ride at the park?

-What ride do I go on just to see the queue?

Lovely update! The hotel looks beautiful. How hard was the bed?
Hmmm pirates or tron.. gonna guess tron.
Soaring .

Your room looked really nice! Such cute plastic cups they provided you!

OoO those portraits in the lobby are so nice! They really should sell prints of them!

Glad you enjoyed your dinner. So many cute desserts! And I love the character costumes!

After a couple hours in DT, I made my way over to the buses, which were a bit out of the way due to the race activities and equipment. I also originally boarded a Toy Story Hotel bus, not the SHDLH bus because the stops weren’t well marked. Luckily I got off before it left though! There’s a nice fountain in a roundabout, which at night lights up in different colors (I don’t think I ever got a good photo though because of window reflections and just general movement, but trust me it’s pretty).

pYX3Zri.jpg

Back to the hotel and I thought I’d maybe get a pastry in the café. The offerings weren’t the best (it was in the off-hours between lunch and dinner) and the pastry I asked for, they didn’t have, so I basically just got a soda. I did end up with this fun straw though!

DllFSfD.jpg

It almost made up for having to drink icky Pepsi for several days! (If you don’t know, Shanghai Disney is the only Disney that doesn’t serve Coke; it was a big deal when it was announced. I’m not the biggest fan of Pepsi, but I don’t like coffee, so I forced myself to drink it for the caffeine!) 😉

I hung out in the lobby for about 20 minutes and got to watch Goofy interact with some random guests, but I don’t think I took good photos. It was also cool how they had a Halloween music loop going on in the lobby, which really helped set the atmosphere.
(I thought I had a video but can’t seem to find one, so use your imagination…)

I wasn’t sure how strict they were with “3 pm”, but I did end up getting my room key around 2:50. I also went to bell services and gave them my claim check, so they would deliver my bags to my room.

The room was very close to the lobby, on the same floor, just around the corner. And it wasn’t noisy, which was nice. Also being on the lobby level, it meant my ceiling was insanely high! Like I’m guessing 15 ft tall!

GPeWq7m.png

Some pics around the room. The theme of the whole hotel seems to be music, so this was reflected in the rooms.

P3stCgW.jpg
9FhwTXl.jpg
sdd1zza.jpg
Z9Y2WNr.jpg
cpDx6F8.jpg
erxQXye.jpg
Hf0cdaS.jpg
LajWK2u.jpg

I didn’t realize it included a pull-down bed, so you could easily fit a family of 5 in here (not sure if it lets you book that many people though)

WbBRPyd.jpg
TIv7ebf.jpg

My view wasn’t anything special – some rooms do have views of the lake and castle, but I didn’t feel like paying the upcharge when I wouldn’t really enjoy it.

3oKHD51.jpg
GQGl7Y3.jpg

They also had plenty of water bottles – it’s not good to drink the tap water in Shanghai unless it’s been specially treated. And they refill the water bottles every day. They also had these cute hard plastic cups, which I think you were allowed to take with you… well I took one anyways!

CsNRsKF.jpg

And I loved the headboard! The button was right on the bedside table, so I would often activate it before going to bed at night and see the pixie dust lights in my room

giphy.gif

My bags also promptly arrived at my room – pretty much the same time I got there!

Love Mickey in the pulldown bed, and the pixie dust 🧚‍♂️ Headboard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter