A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

I like the re-theming of the rides to Marvel. I have yet to see Ant Man or Ant Man & Wasp so I would be a little lost but it sounds fun. Love the history walls for Iron Man.

I can't believe how uncrowded the park is.

It hurts my soul knowing that the Avengers Campus is being pushed off. All the Marvel stuff overseas looks and sounds so great, I cannot wait to see what we get at Disneyland!

I'm already in love with HKDL solely based on the fact that they have permanently made their Space Mountain Hyperspace Mountain since that is my favorite version of Space.

Also, I'm hype for the Joe Rohde appreciation update. I think I know where it's going so I'M READYYYYYYY

It was amazing! Even at its busiest, the big rides only usually have 30-minute waits. So really, HKDL is such a low-stress park it is really an awesome experience!

Wow this is really incredible...and surprising!! I don't get it though...everything in Asia is so population dense I just don't know how the parks are that empty!! I hope to get to go one day!!

I like the re-theming of the rides to Marvel. I have yet to see Ant Man or Ant Man & Wasp so I would be a little lost but it sounds fun. Love the history walls for Iron Man.

I can't believe how uncrowded the park is.
I liked how they incorporated all the new technology! And the Iron man queue was so detailed - like a real museum!

It really was insanely empty! Partially due to off-season weekday, partially due to protests, but also just because that park isn't as in-demand.
It hurts my soul knowing that the Avengers Campus is being pushed off. All the Marvel stuff overseas looks and sounds so great, I cannot wait to see what we get at Disneyland!

I'm already in love with HKDL solely based on the fact that they have permanently made their Space Mountain Hyperspace Mountain since that is my favorite version of Space.

Also, I'm hype for the Joe Rohde appreciation update. I think I know where it's going so I'M READYYYYYYY
I hope the campus opens sometime soon! I know construction is nearly done on the one at DCA.

And I think you know what I'm talking about with Rohde, though I was wrong and he didn't make the one I thought he did! Though his image is in the queue!
Wow this is really incredible...and surprising!! I don't get it though...everything in Asia is so population dense I just don't know how the parks are that empty!! I hope to get to go one day!!
Well, HKDL is pretty empty - a result of lower demand, mainland Chinese going to Shanghai, and the protests. Shanghai definitely was busier with wait times, but they had tools to navigate those and make it much more pleasant!

Now...Tokyo... that's another whole situation which I'll get to in a few days!

Part 4 – The Luckiest Town in the West and Mystic Manor

Now, onto the left side of the park, which includes Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point. These were the areas I was most excited to see, which were added in 2011-2013, about 5-7 yrs after the park opened.

I made my way through Adventureland (don’t worry – I’ll come back), saying hi to Carl on my way!

afYH2Ji.jpg
9tLSiDN.jpg
JvJXx95.jpg
wITw4re.jpg
ZJvcsSq.jpg
IX9zHrs.jpg
GG9m7Zu.jpg

Welcome to Grizzly Gulch! The Luckiest Little Town in the West! I loved the kinetic energy here, as the coaster zooms around the whole mini-land. (You would also normally have the HKDL Railroad running through occasionally, however it was down due to the construction for Frozen Land.

uxwb0iU.jpg
PVouWdJ.jpg
zCDhKta.jpg
ZrWgH6d.jpg
xHyjPln.jpg
cC6yoqg.jpg

There is an awesome backstory behind this land. A Northern California mining town established on August 8, 1888, the luckiest day of the luckiest month of the luckiest year. Geysers disrupted the initial settlements but the town found success when a family of bears led one of the prospectors to a bountiful gold find!

And of course a geyser!

JH5dn2l.jpg
ZqIU4aE.jpg

The little town. Lots of photo opps!

FHCpxlf.jpg
r73T8Yy.jpg
qYVrXXy.jpg
oAHe0WN.jpg
9PeR4nO.jpg
HL66VuH.jpg

And onto Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars! Or as my friend Rachel calls them, Big Grizzly Zoom Zoom!

mNls9pl.jpg

I realize I don’t have any ride photos, as I just wanted to experience it. (And of course, a walk-on with 2/3 of the coaster empty!)

And holy cow – that ride was awesome! It takes the best elements of Expedition Everest and Big Thunder Mountain and also throws in a cute storyline with bears! I couldn’t get enough of it and would go on it a bunch more (I would have done even more but the queue is actually pretty long and they don’t have options to cut through portions).

I continued onto Mystic Point, which is the home of a Victorian manor built in the center of uncharted jungle.

IekQUES.jpg
ngrBSmT.jpg

And of course I would have to give Mystic Manor a go, which I have heard is the best Disney ride worldwide

nbMJGjN.jpg
kkzOkXj.jpg
uQQbZmk.jpg

And they weren’t joking! OMG THIS RIDE! I just can’t even explain how amazing it is. Albert the monkey is the cutest little guy and the ride is a great story of his adventures and misadventures with a magical music box. The elements of the ride are amazing and each car in the sequence (there are 4) has a slightly different perspective! I just loved it immediately and felt so much joy riding it!

Ftev1ro.jpg

Near the manor there’s a train depot with lots of fun photo spots. If only they had photopass people there to help take photos of me! And it was so empty it wasn’t like there were people who could take my camera for me!

NSWpUn1.jpg
Hdm1zd7.jpg
LGkKyl0.jpg
m3yJUYd.jpg

While I left for now, I would be back to spend a lot more time in this area!

My notes say it truly is a tale of two parks: the older side with Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, which is fine, just not amazing. And the newer side with Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, Adventureland, which is truly awesome! So, yes, it took about an extra hour, but I did fall for this little park too!

Coming up: Atmospheric entertainment and Halloween celebrations

The two main reasons why I want to go to HKDL (especially Mystic Manor) and this is just more confirmation. I want Albert everything in my life, but it seems he isn't on a lot of merch over there even as a ride mascot? Sadness. But omg that's crazy how different the two halves of the park are.

I'm excited to hear about what they had to offer for Halloween. I've heard it's quite the 180 from the US parks. :teeth:

This picture is adorable, and I feel like with all those food options, I could stay there all day happily munching away!!! (and Jimmy would be that kid with the candy plate, most definitely!!!)

Loved all the photographs of the beautiful gardens around the hotel.

Incredible how different the park is from one side to the next!!! I can't wait to see what the castle looks like when it's completed.

The two main reasons why I want to go to HKDL (especially Mystic Manor) and this is just more confirmation. I want Albert everything in my life, but it seems he isn't on a lot of merch over there even as a ride mascot? Sadness. But omg that's crazy how different the two halves of the park are.

I'm excited to hear about what they had to offer for Halloween. I've heard it's quite the 180 from the US parks. :teeth:
Oh, I haven’t shown his merch yet! There’s a dump shop for Mystic Manor which is lots and lots of Albert! I think I have a tour of it for the next day.
This picture is adorable, and I feel like with all those food options, I could stay there all day happily munching away!!! (and Jimmy would be that kid with the candy plate, most definitely!!!)

Loved all the photographs of the beautiful gardens around the hotel.

Incredible how different the park is from one side to the next!!! I can't wait to see what the castle looks like when it's completed.
Yeah it is a shame when I’m eating alone since I eat faster than if I was with friends and could try more food!

it really was crazy how different the sides were! I wish more could be like Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor, but I fear with the low attendance it won’t get a whole lot of investment in the future!

Loving reading about your adventures in Asia....and dreaming about being able to travel again. Also, I just think it would be so much fun to explore Disney parks that are different than anything you have seen before and totally different experiences. How fun!

Sounds like a great start in Tomorrowland with the non existent waits!

Big Grizzly Mountain sounds awesome by the way you describe it- BTMRR and EE are 2 of my faves!

Everyone says Mystic Manor is amazing- I'm glad it lives up to that hype!

Loving catching up on your trip report! I remember learning about Mystic Manor in the Imagineering show on Disney+. Looks so cool!!

I'm enjoying "the other side of the park". So much detail and still not crowds.
Yeah, definitely lots of detail and backstory!
Loving reading about your adventures in Asia....and dreaming about being able to travel again. Also, I just think it would be so much fun to explore Disney parks that are different than anything you have seen before and totally different experiences. How fun!
It really was fun - something familiar and yet totally new!
Sounds like a great start in Tomorrowland with the non existent waits!

Big Grizzly Mountain sounds awesome by the way you describe it- BTMRR and EE are 2 of my faves!

Everyone says Mystic Manor is amazing- I'm glad it lives up to that hype!
Big Grizzly Mountain was super fun! I knew it was cool but didn't realize how cool!

And Mystic Manor totally lived up to the hype!
I love how all the Lands look!

Mystic Manor is high on my bucket list!
It really is a lovely ride! I wouldn't disagree with anyone who puts it as one of the best Disney rides worldwide!
Loving catching up on your trip report! I remember learning about Mystic Manor in the Imagineering show on Disney+. Looks so cool!!
I still need to watch that! I've been waiting until I had time with the big screen tv in my house!

Part 5 – Grizzly Gulch Welcome Wagon!

On my way back through Grizzly Gulch I stopped to take some more photos.

WsPRc1i.jpg
F8fsYsn.jpg
ekVprLh.jpg

"Lucky Springs Geyser – according to legend if this geyser erupts while you are making a wish, that wish will come true. The legend began in 1888. Settlers discovered they had built their town on this active geyser bed. All seemed lost until lucky springs geyser erupted for the very first time. The next day gold was discovered in Big Grizzly Mountain."

BygqLrT.jpg
OlbIsJD.jpg
wtRP7uJ.jpg
LWnPD7m.jpg
8hcbNfn.jpg

Lots of opportunities to cool down in the hot Hong Kong weather!

yGhgSvq.jpg
YgNnKsG.jpg
7ntZwry.jpg
KOfXMw3.jpg
F1xqiQB.jpg
EG3IGjx.jpg

While I was taking photos I heard some people come out at it turned out to be time for the Grizzly Gulch Welcome Wagon! I had hoped to catch this show but wasn't sure the set times, so was happy to stumble into it!

dkAladl.jpg
Lebo7S1.jpg
blNzBRb.jpg
1jzDsJs.jpg
4K4Htyg.jpg
OEdKld3.jpg
5BWlaH4.jpg
IWC9nFD.jpg
wUR3V3o.jpg
DVo8olh.jpg
84Fmc8T.jpg
EbdWjAu.jpg
7lRHt87.jpg
9HmTTDW.jpg
EUJ4DJM.jpg

And near the end I noticed Chip and Dale also watching, so of course they had to join in! Which was the cutest thing ever!

zqpmvqR.jpg
lq5trlV.jpg
6Pe0tbh.jpg
C1SaDT7.jpg
xRaF1RM.jpg
HQImSVT.jpg
lR8g9g1.jpg
RwQocTm.jpg
3l9JNEZ.jpg
hRQ2aHe.jpg

A very fun show I definitely recommend stopping to watch!

(Originally this was supposed to be a separate installment, but I'm ready to post now and don't want to relabel all my "parts" so, 2 installments in one day!)

Part 6 – Journey to Halloweentown

I headed back “inside the berm” to try out one of the special Halloween offerings – Journey to Halloweentown. For the past several years HKDL does their version of a Haunted House. The first 2 years was some twisted Disney retellings (like Mad Hatter beheading people, Pinocchio in a cage, etc). For 2018 and 2019 though they repeated a version with Nightmare Before Christmas.

b8It5f9.jpg
ur2kTbk.jpg
7mBRFiX.jpg

Various props in the walk-up to the “house”

Xaj8Cos.jpg
RyTvMXb.jpg
SKU3WR5.jpg

Inside, it was fun. Lots of fun props and various photo opportunities as you walked through the town.

HPCTJJT.jpg
m01hiEd.jpg
pySHmcX.jpg
TEXCckn.jpg
hQPiIKf.jpg
Wqrdxdw.jpg
ydPSifD.jpg
boWaByH.jpg
RWph56I.jpg
XZIYq3b.jpg

7 Days until Halloween!

ErVDrJP.jpg

The lab was fun with some screens on the ground that made it look like things were swimming in the sewers.

51ZkwQa.jpg
qZ4BGhD.jpg
3ayBE5P.jpg
EIJq1Dd.jpg
JoYdbiU.jpg
1T3G8mE.jpg

The forest was freaky with this one guy surprising people taking photos!

DbuNpjT.jpg
I8bnNnN.jpg
wfLvo69.jpg
lB5JOcn.jpg

Ok, this was pretty creepy when he waved at me!

HqQ1s0e.jpg

Oogie Boogie’s funhouse

IE9leBk.jpg
JqJfKzA.jpg

The end hallway where I definitely jumped and screamed when someone popped open a hatch in the wall to surprise me! I actually heard the CM sort of giggling behind the wall afterwards!

s4yHNlr.jpg

I believe at the end they have character meets with Jack/Sally or Oogie Boogie. Or maybe that was in a different location in the park? But I’m not a huge character meet person (I like seeing them in the park, but don’t care about waiting in long lines), so I didn’t do it. I would have liked to meet Oogie Boogie, as I think that is the only place he actually meets, but I think they randomly rotated so I couldn’t guarantee meeting him.

E321jbm.jpg

Not my video, but you can see what the house was like.

All in all, a pretty fun offering! (As you will see HKDL does lots of fun Halloween stuff, which was one of the reasons behind me extending my trip from Japan only to HK and Shanghai.)

Another thing I was curious about trying was Jungle Cruise!

YyMiO0D.jpg

In California, Florida, Paris, and Tokyo the islands are all in Frontierland (or their version of it). In HKDL the island is in Adventureland and Jungle Cruise actually goes around it!

ybWwCUK.jpg

Loved this warning sign!

l39aHha.jpg

And HKDL does something super cool with 3 different languages! English, Cantonese, and Mandarin. When I was there the longest line was always for English, but by long line, I mean they filled up the boat, rather than others which would run with only a couple groups!

CxWqjff.jpg
OudrYHP.jpg
pioH14R.jpg

I decided not to bother with photos this time – trying to enjoy the ride!
A pretty cool version of the ride with lots of unique features! Especially the finale scene! Don’t worry I rode it more times and got lots more photos/video which you will see later!

It really had been an awesome morning doing some fun rides!

Coming up - a parade and more shows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter