A little less housekeeping would be nice

This is the kind of sidebar graphic I was thinking would work to complement Pete talking (maybe a different featured show talked about each week, or maybe just the list of shows being read out rather than info about each shows content spoken?
gM9tNQ
full
It looks way too busy. I think it would be better if Pete or whoever is hosting just read it. I do think they take to much time with them going around the table to do it and could speed it up for that that don't watch the podcast. I personly don't really see much reason to watch it every week anyway but to each their own.

What I don't get is why bother doing what's on the shows anyways. This show airs Tuesday so we end up with "on yesterday's dream show" and "coming up on the Disneyland edition Tom and team talked about" when the If u listen live u heard it two days prior

Besides if it's truly a podcast this information about what the show topic is about is going to be in that podcast description for that episode

And if you are a time shifter chances are your listening to your podcasts in order anyways and if your not your doing your podcast app a disservice especially if it's an episodic podcast

What I don't get is why bother doing what's on the shows anyways. This show airs Tuesday so we end up with "on yesterday's dream show" and "coming up on the Disneyland edition Tom and team talked about" when the If u listen live u heard it two days prior
I'm sure plenty of people don't listen live. I never do. I always catch the Tuesday show in the week that it aired but the other shows I may not listen to for days or weeks afterward. Just today, I was listening to the July 10th Dreams show.

Besides if it's truly a podcast this information about what the show topic is about is going to be in that podcast description for that episode
Not everyone listens to every episode of every show. Not everyone subscribes to every show. For example, I don't subscribe to the Disneyland show, but I will occasionally listen to an episode if there is a topic I'm particularly interested in. I don't go searching each week to see what they talked about but if I hear them mention something on the Tuesday show, I might download that episode.

I'm sure plenty of people don't listen live. I never do. I always catch the Tuesday show in the week that it aired but the other shows I may not listen to for days or weeks afterward. Just today, I was listening to the July 10th Dreams show.

Not everyone listens to every episode of every show. Not everyone subscribes to every show. For example, I don't subscribe to the Disneyland show, but I will occasionally listen to an episode if there is a topic I'm particularly interested in. I don't go searching each week to see what they talked about but if I hear them mention something on the Tuesday show, I might download that episode.

And that is why the description of those shows is in the actual podcast of that show. You can subscribe to the podcast feed and only download the shows that are interesting to you based on their description. There is no need for having "what's coming up" on a different podcast. We don't get a what's coming next week on the dis unplugged on any other podcast so why do it on this one.

IMG_1064.PNG Here is the description of this weeks episode in my pocket cast app

IMG_1065.jpg And a description of the episodes in the podcast app from Apple (I don't really use this app except another podcast)

Last edited:
You can subscribe to the podcast feed and only download the shows that are interesting to you based on their description. There is no need for having "what's coming up" on a different podcast.
It's called advertising. Pete, understandably, wants the maximum exposure for the shows they produce. The Tuesday show is probably the most listened to of the bunch (and it's live) so it makes sense for that to be the place where they promote all of the others.

If the only way to find the other shows would be to a) already know they exist and b) subscribe to their feeds, I'm quite sure the number of listeners would be far lower. As a result, Dreams would get far less business since fewer potential customers would be exposed to their advertising.

It looks way too busy. I think it would be better if Pete or whoever is hosting just read it. I do think they take to much time with them going around the table to do it and could speed it up for that that don't watch the podcast. I personly don't really see much reason to watch it every week anyway but to each their own.
Maybe something like this would be better (less busy?)?
full
full

First time poster, long time lurker and listener - had to jump in here! I love the podcast and listen every week. I have no issues with them promoting Dreams or upcoming trips, it's an affiliated business, they're very transparent about everything, and you gotta earn that money! The plugging of upcoming shows is what started to get a little long for me, I already listen to them regardless of knowing the topics. I thought the way Pete handled it this week was great! Maybe even post a list on the website, or on the facebook page each week instead. Or just have 1 person go through the list in about 1 minute instead of going around the table. Thanks for everything you all do and keep up the great work!

You don't see a reason to watch the show?
To me, it's essentially a radio show thy they record video of. Ther isn't much added to it by watching it for me when I can listen to it on my iPod a day later. Most of the time all they have is some picture to go with what they are talking about on a monitor in the corner.

The problem still is for the people that don't watch it. More people listen to the podcast than watch it.
As i've said above, there is no way to let listeners know about all the shows and their content without reading it all out (like previously). IF they decided not to read out the show lineup and info, then a graphic would benefit watchers, and listeners would have to visit the shownotes.

We don't know for certain if more people listen than watch. The latest Tuesday episode has 30k views on YouTube.

As i've said above, there is no way to let listeners know about all the shows and their content without reading it all out (like previously). IF they decided not to read out the show lineup and info, then a graphic would benefit watchers, and listeners would have to visit the shownotes.

We don't know for certain if more people listen than watch. The latest Tuesday episode has 30k views on YouTube.
so basically because more people may watch a show that doesn't need video on youtube we should cater to them and just ignore everyone else?Ther is no real point for it to be a video show thy mad it video because Pete decided to buy a bunch video equipment I actually liked it better as an audio show and when they didn't do it live but they probably won't ever go back to that again. As for reading the show notes, I don't want to have to go searching them out to read them if they could just read them out at the start of the show.

so basically because more people may watch a show that doesn't need video on youtube we should cater to them and just ignore everyone else?Ther is no real point for it to be a video show thy mad it video because Pete decided to buy a bunch video equipment I actually liked it better as an audio show and when they didn't do it live but they probably won't ever go back to that again. As for reading the show notes, I don't want to have to go searching them out to read them if they could just read them out at the start of the show.
Not at all, they need to cater for their biggest audience, and ensure it also works well for a secondary audience. I would argue that the video adds to the show, but not getting into that one. That is not why they made it video - Dustin was brought into the team years ago to turn it into a video show as it had been Pete's plan for a while, and was a dream of Bob Varley's since the podcast began (as has been said in a couple of shows, Dustin created a model of the studio in the Sims, and researched what equipment would be needed). Pete only then invested in the equipment, once they had decided to go video. They will never go back to audio-only, non-live (for the WDW show anyway). Its not the fact that they read the info out that we're all commenting on, its the time it takes. I have never said they should stop reading the show list out, just that there could be a quicker way of giving the information, and a graphic could enhance that.

To be clear, I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't talk about the shows at all or that the graphic bar should be the only thing

Just that if they have made the decision to not read them then the graphic would be something for those that view - so instead of zero people getting the info at least a portion would

I then the majority of us on the thread think the ideal is a quick, tight audio run through of he shows and then the graphic could supplement with additional info that in the past was taking a long time to get through and that some people felt was too long

Maybe you dont care about Kevin talking about those trips but most of us would loooove to snag a spot on them. Me and my wife adore John and Kevin from what we see on the Dis and we are planning on going at some point

Just a note that for the Viking cruise discussed there are currently 120+ people signed up through Kevin/the DIS and there is room for plenty more ... and if it was not mentioned on a podcast I would not have known about it - and my wife and I did sign up for it (and glad we did then as we got in at one of the lower room rates that is no longer available)

As for other podcasts - I also watch a number and some of them also promote their sponsor multiple times and in the middle of the podcast not just at the beginning, etc. (so different ways to do it)

I mean, at most it takes up 10 mins of the podcast (probably a lot less most weeks) and you know it is at the beginning so you can skip it if you don't want to hear it.

Obviously everyone is different and if it is a big deal to you, so be it - I just don't get why someone talking about a trip for 5-10 mins (max) would cause you to stop listening to an entire podcast that you enjoy :confused3

I'm with you on the Viking Cruise, literally! It wasn't even a passing thought to take my DD on a Viking Cruise of the Mediterranean, I didn't even know Viking did Ocean cruises! So when the agents I've known for years and trust mentioned it, I looked into it and the prices are amazing, the cities are excellent, the ships are not like typical cruise ships etc. etc. With 100+ guests going, more than any other group in Viking history, my guess I am not alone.

The same thing happened when Pete came back from Disneyland last summer all excited. Very genuine and upbeat so I went to watch a DU podcast on DL, next thing you know I am went to DL with my DH (booked with DU agent Debra Lopez) and now we are trying to figure out when we can get back.

The 3 day double dip Fantasy cruise, I wouldn't have know a thing about it but took the DD (booked through Kelsie Johnson) and bumped into Pete at the Cove Cafe.

DU has been my travel agency for years even though I am quite capable of making my arrangements myself. I came back to the thread to say I thought the housekeeping was too short this week. I don't in anyway think I am getting a hard sell but THEY ARE SELLING and NOT losing customers. It did probably needed a little tightening in that segment but nothing that I would have commented on. I do like to hear a brief synopsis of the other shows. I don't have time to watch every episode of every show but I might be interested in Tom Bell talking about one of the parades going away or on DisPop a review of Guardians of the Galaxy movie, etc. so please don't eliminate them.

Every time I bump into someone from the team they are so gracious. They take the feedback very seriously. I love the Steve in the park segments. I do think it would be nice to see Kevin and John do a once a month TS review. They have excellent taste and are very articulate. We all know they don't do QS lol! Love the every other week Dining Show.

Keep up the good work podcast team!

To be clear, I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't talk about the shows at all or that the graphic bar should be the only thing

Just that if they have made the decision to not read them then the graphic would be something for those that view - so instead of zero people getting the info at least a portion would

I then the majority of us on the thread think the ideal is a quick, tight audio run through of he shows and then the graphic could supplement with additional info that in the past was taking a long time to get through and that some people felt was too long
Exactly! :)

Then we wouldn't know what hotel Teressa is working or how Ryno's costume is coming along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter