A little scared.....

zobow02

Mouseketeer
Awhile back one of my relatives decided that we should have a family reunion at Disney March 2020. My family isn't going, however my grandparents really want to go and they invited me. I'm super excited. Yesterday we started looking into Resorts to book. None of the Value nor Moderate resorts really interests them because of the walking involved (my grandpa doesn't have very good knees) so they wanted to look into a deluxe resort. That's when I looked into Dave's DVC (We've booked with them before). They really wanna stay at either Poly, BCV, or GF. I was just about to put in a request until we realized the dates on the invite are messed up. Apparently the family reunion isn't quite planned out yet according to my relative. I'm a little scared because my grandparents have very high hopes at staying at a deluxe with either the monorail or boat as transportation. They don't love the bus and of course they don't wanna rent a wheelchair:sad2:. I also don't think they would like to spend the extra money by booking through Disney. Does anyone have any advice if I don't get into any of these resorts? Or does anyone have any hopeful stories of how they got into a DVC resort less than 9 months in advance? I do realize they might not even have any room at all right now.

A couple questions...would they ONLY be going to parks they could monorail/boat to? And how would they tackle IN the parks, as there is a lot of walking involved there as well...probably more so than the non deluxe resorts.

POFQ is nice and small, granted it is bus transportation only to the parks...but with the money you save, maybe you could uber everywhere (except Magic Kingdom)

There is a DVC section here on the boards where owners rent their points. Reach out and establish a relationship with an owner. See if there are any rooms available right now for the resorts you want and go from there. Find out your options and cost then research some alternate options if nothing they want is open.

Also don't forget the Skyliner. It's sure to be open by then and will make getting to Epcot and Studios easier from the resorts it serves.

A couple questions...would they ONLY be going to parks they could monorail/boat to? And how would they tackle IN the parks, as there is a lot of walking involved there as well...probably more so than the non deluxe resorts.

POFQ is nice and small, granted it is bus transportation only to the parks...but with the money you save, maybe you could uber everywhere (except Magic Kingdom)

Well of course they know there's much walking involved in the parks. And they would more than likely just go to MK, Epcot, and HS. I am going to get fast passes that are close by each other. I'm hoping maybe I can convince them to rent a wheelchair though.

They did say they wanted to consider POFQ as well... We will probably book there if we don't get into any of the DVC resorts.

There is a DVC section here on the boards where owners rent their points. Reach out and establish a relationship with an owner. See if there are any rooms available right now for the resorts you want and go from there. Find out your options and cost then research some alternate options if nothing they want is open.
I would consider doing that but were only staying for 4-5 nights and I feel like it would be complicated... Also I'm only 17 lol

Why not forget about DVC and just settle on the fact that you will book a Deluxe through Disney when you have your dates firm?

I booked Contemporary about 1 month out last summer (2 rooms). Mobility issues were the major factor for booking there.
I will definitely put that into consideration!

Also don't forget the Skyliner. It's sure to be open by then and will make getting to Epcot and Studios easier from the resorts it serves.
My family and I are staying at POP this sept... super excited! Hoping it'll be open by then. They don't really show any interest on staying at POP, AoA, and CBR. And I am pretty positive Riviera is going to have NO availability too.

My family and I are staying at POP this sept... super excited! Hoping it'll be open by then. They don't really show any interest on staying at POP, AoA, and CBR. And I am pretty positive Riviera is going to have NO availability too.

If you book Riviera cash, you would be fine. Points will be near-impossible.

I wouldn't do DVC. You are locked into those dates and it sounds like the dates could very possibly change. Also with a large group plans can easily change a few times. You don't want to get locked into something and lose that money. What about a normal room and not a DVC room at one of the deluxe? The Garden wing at Contemporay and Wilderness Lodge aren't that expensive

I can tell you that depending on where your room is located, the walks are just as long at a deluxe as anywhere else. Also; taking the monorail from GF or Poly to/from Epcot requires a good amount of walking as well. The 2 options is either to walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail or walk to the monorail pickup at the resort, get off at TTC and then walk over to the Epcot monorail. Good luck and I hope everything works out:)

While buses only... I can tell you the least amount or walking I ever did was staying at SSR at the Paddock section. The bus stop was a few hundred feet away as was the pool. short walk to the hospitality house or you could take the bus if needed.... but I am sure they would enjoy that walk if they wanted to eat there. The buses to all the parks was fast -- EPCOT and HS were under 10 minutes and MK was maybe 10-12... you have a lot of options to consider... If they were using scooter the monorail resorts would be a great option as they would not have to get off them but being they are not and you want to limit travel within a resort I would reconsider the ones you have picked out as all of them will require a considerable amount of walking to get to transportation especially the DVC sides.

I'm a little scared because my grandparents have very high hopes at staying at a deluxe with either the monorail or boat as transportation. They don't love the bus and of course they don't wanna rent a wheelchair:sad2:. I also don't think they would like to spend the extra money by booking through Disney.

Ummmm. I might let them figure it out. And with you being 17, your grandparents really can't be THAT old, so they shouldn't have an issue figuring out that it's hard to have all those issues taken care of with one resort.

I would consider doing that but were only staying for 4-5 nights and I feel like it would be complicated... Also I'm only 17 lol

Renting from an individual is almost just like renting from David's.

If you aren't able to get the Disney Deluxe that you are looking for, consider the Swan in the Epcot resort area or the Wilderness Lodge in the MK area. Both of these resorts can have a lower price tag and can be booked as a room only with flexibility to change dates/resorts up to 5 days prior to arrival. Look at the senior rates at the Swan and don't forget to ask about the various suites such as the alcove suite that has connecting rooms and can be less than booking 2 separate regular rooms. Wilderness lodge isn't on the monorail but is a small resort and has a boat to the MK. I also agree with the PP that garden wing rooms at the CR could be an option.

POFQ is an option, but so is a preferred room at other moderate resorts. Preferred rooms are near the main building etc, so convenient and less walking. CSR will have the Gran Destino building that has interior corridors as well. It is a bit closer to a deluxe than the other moderates. It only has. buses, but with conventions there is often lots of room on the buses. Also its location is fairly central so bus rides are not too long to go anywhere.

I would stick to room only bookings (so changes are easy) when going with a large group.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts