A Make A Wish Trip - Final Update!! Pg. 33

wendygrace

DIS Veteran
I am going to attempt to write this. It should be slow going as this is my first, I have a medically and otherwise needy child, and I have tons of pictures that I will need to learn to place into these threads. This TR will be geared towards others who are planning their Wish trip (Make A Wish or other organization) and those who may want to know more about these wonderful organizations that make wishes come true for children with life threatening illnesses.

Cast of Characters

Me - Wendy - I am a 32 year old mother of two. I was also a social worker type in a previous life. I hate Disney, er, well, hated. That changed dramatically after I started to research what all Disney does for the Wish Kids. I have learned to love them throughout our trip and you will see why (eventually). LOL I am an overplanner and before even made his wish, I was researching here on the boards. Once it ws set we'd be going to Disney, full-throttle ahead!

Dh - Mick- Quite a character and since he has written a report of the trip for his friends, I may insert some of his report in for some humour. He was a disney fan but not a fanatic. That would soon change.

Michael - His fifth bday was on Monday of the trip. Born with an uncommon condition with rare complications. He lived his first six months of his life in the hospital and wasn't supposed to live past his first bday. He has been "well" relatively but was to undergo major surgery this spring. It was cancelled as the doctors/hospital we were working with stated they couldn't help him. We are searching for new doctors/hospital to help but things are not currently promising as there have only been a handful of cases like his worldwide. He fell in love with Peter Pan and flying. He made a wish to "go flying with Peter Pan". And where else could that happen but at WDW? When asked what other wishes he might have he stated to go to WDW. When asked why, he stated that it was so "my sister can meet with Cinderelly and I can meet Peter".

100_1295.jpg

Danae - three year old DD. She is extremely attached to her brother and has suffered right along with him. She is also the push ds has needed to keep on keeping on. A little princess through and through and she wishes to meet Cinderelly.

100_1291.jpg

The family...

2006Portrait.jpg

Welcome to the TR Board. I hope you had a great trip to WDW. Looking forward to your report.

I am already very interested in reading your trip report.I love to hear the stories about the wishes this wonderful organization makes come true for children.I hope you and your family had a very magical time when you were there.:goodvibes

I cannot wait to read your trip report! It sounds like you are off to a good start! Thanks for writting! :thumbsup2

Michael - His fifth bday was on Monday of the trip. Born with an uncommon condition with rare complications. He lived his first six months of his life in the hospital and wasn't supposed to live past his first bday. He has been "well" relatively but was to undergo major surgery this spring. It was cancelled as the doctors/hospital we were working with stated they couldn't help him. We are searching for new doctors/hospital to help but things are not currently promising as there have only been a handful of cases like his worldwide. He fell in love with Peter Pan and flying. He made a wish to "go flying with Peter Pan". And where else could that happen but at WDW? When asked what other wishes he might have he stated to go to WDW. When asked why, he stated that it was so "my sister can meet with Cinderelly and I can meet Peter".
Oh dear. I must have missed in our Stalking thread that the surgery was cancelled! I am so sorry. I pray for the best for Michael and your family. I am so happy that Make a Wish came through for you all.

Also, I would love to hear excerpts of your DH's report. It's always fun getting a different perspective on the same experience! Looking forward to more of your report!

Awww! You guys are so sweet! I will do my best then. :)

Here we go. I'll start this with dh's take on the day we left...

Sunday:
4:30 AM. Limo scheduled to pick us up.
4:40 AM. No limo.
4:45 AM. Still no limo - company has wrong address and phone number.
5:00 AM. Limo shows. Children excited to be in a stretch limo. "Can we get one Daddy? NO"

We get to Midway and our gate (Air Tran) is A4B. B? Yeah, that's the one that's down a corridor 1/2 mile long. We get to the gate, get settled, and the words every parent dreads, "Daddy, I have to go potty." *sigh* Back the half mile to find the nearest bathroom, past a McDonalds so the obligatory stop and back to the gate. I arrive to see the wife with a panicked expression on her face as I hear, "Final boarding call." We board just as they are getting ready to shut the doors.

Great start so far.

We get settled in and the stewardess (errr, flight attendant?) asks if we are on a trip with Make a Wish (Was it the T-shirts, the buttons, or the hats that gave it away?) They upgrade us to business class. Things are looking up. Michael loves the take off. Stewaresses show us a trick - put the end of a toilet paper roll in the toilet up front and roll it back down the length of the plane. When it flushes, the TP just rushes right out. Kids love it.

Landing and such goes well. We get to our villa at Give kids the world village (awesome). Full of other wish kids and tailored to special needs children. Great place. Free ice cream, pizza, and anything else the kids would need. They have a train, carosel, and magic castle. Kids ride the train and carosel until dinner. After dinner, Wendy has orientation and picks up tickets. Kids and I go fishing (one kid caught a 13 lb bass while I was there). It starts to rain. My prissy daughter who can't stand to be the least bit dirty wants to stay. So we do. We fish for an hour in the rain. Kids love baiting the hooks although Michael eats most of the bait. (we were using freshly cooked hot dogs).

At night, we order pizza (free) and the kids are so excited they don't go to sleep until midnight.

from one wish family to another,I am hooked!keep it up cant wait to see how much fun you all had!!

Thanks for starting your trip report. I can really relate to your statement about Danae, when you say that she is extremely attached to her brother, Michael, and has sufferred right along with him. My wish kid, my DS8, has had a rough time with illness, meds, learning...just life. My other kids, DS14, DD11, DS7 and DS5, have sufferred right along side him as well. They miss him and worry about him when he is hospitalized (24 times since birth) and they put up with a great deal from him as a result of behavior issues caused by his medication (steroids). Our wish trip will be such a blessing for all of us. My eyes well up with tears at the graciousness and generosity of these wish organizaitons who care about families like ours!

I am anxious to see and hear more! I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

A His & Hers report... family struggles and triumphs... cute kids with cheeks you just want to reach out and pinch... all mixed in with lots and lots of pixie dust! pixiedust:

All the elements of a great TR!

I can't wait to read more.....

Kathy

Your children are adorable. I am sure you and your family had a trip of a lifetime. Cannot wait to hear more!

Great start. Can't wait to read more. I have a boy at my school who is supposed to get a Make a Wish trip so I might share this with him someday.

I'm joining in too!:) Your children are beautiful! I can't wait to hear about your trip!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!