A message from a webmaster re: Covid-19, politics, reporting posts

In years of posting in internet forums I have never once put anyone on Ignore (except for the "I earned $$$$ working from home" type spammers). I always like to see opposing points of view even if I think the person is completely wrong, and even if I think someone is a total idiot, seeing the words they have typed does not bother me; I am quite capable of ignoring them without technological help to enforce this. But then again I know there are people who absolutely love the Ignore feature and totally need it to keep their sanity, so to each their own. I'm surprised that anyone feels like they need it on Disboards, though; I come here in part to take a welcome break from highly charged political discussions on forums like Disqus and have never seen the kind of nastiness and name-calling here that takes place there on occasion.

I'm guilty of stirring the pot. I also am guilty of posting false and misleading information. Maybe I should apply for a job of those cable tv "news" sites that I so often disparage

I guess I would rather hang out with a group of people that I disagree with. Forces me to think and bring my A game so I can refute their arguements.
I specifically said I don’t block people just because I disagree with them. I disagree with you about 98% of the time and you’re not on my ignore list. I suppose you purposely clipped that part just to get a rise out of me. Which is cool if it floats your boat. What I’ve never seen you do is try to frighten people or present your personal opinion as fact when it comes to Covid-19 so for now, you stay visible to me. We’ll just have to put up with each other. ;)

I guess I am a bit of a loss. I haven't ever seen one poster in the 10+ years of Disboards that deserved a nuclear reaction of ignore or banning them. Who are these people you are talking about and what did they do?
What about all the DB, maybe Chinese(?) logograms, which appear in bulk every so often? I place the originators of those on the ‘ignore’ pile.

In years of posting in internet forums I have never once put anyone on Ignore (except for the "I earned $$$$ working from home" type spammers). I always like to see opposing points of view even if I think the person is completely wrong, and even if I think someone is a total idiot, seeing the words they have typed does not bother me; I am quite capable of ignoring them without technological help to enforce this. But then again I know there are people who absolutely love the Ignore feature and totally need it to keep their sanity, so to each their own. I'm surprised that anyone feels like they need it on Disboards, though; I come here in part to take a welcome break from highly charged political discussions on forums like Disqus and have never seen the kind of nastiness and name-calling here that takes place there on occasion.

After being a member of the dis for 19 years, I have exactly 5 people on my ignore list. I am going to look and see if they are even still members. If not, I will just remove them and start with a clean slate.
4 of them are no longer on the DIS,,one is , so I kept her on the ignore list. I don't recall why I put her on, but the other ones were just general troublemakers, and it was easier to just ignore them and their comments

I'm guilty of stirring the pot. I also am guilty of posting false and misleading information. Maybe I should apply for a job of those cable tv "news" sites that I so often disparage

I guess I would rather hang out with a group of people that I disagree with. Forces me to think and bring my A game so I can refute their arguements.

Yeah but when you're just talking to a brick wall it's pointless and frustrating. The ignore button helps me avoid that.

Yes sometimes the Chinese spammers call my cell phone 2 or 3 times a day.

Hmmm, I NEVER get the Chinese spammers. My spammers almost always have a thick Indian accent and say they are Tom from my credit card company or Sally from the IRS...... Occasionally, I get one with a bland American accent (like, not from Boston or NY or the south or TX..kwim?).

Yeah but when you're just talking to a brick wall it's pointless and frustrating. The ignore button helps me avoid that.

I get paid to do that for a living. I work for a city with tons of entitled people They would call us so much about their first world problems that we had to hire entire outreach department to deal with their complaints. I had to spend hours of my day explaining to them about the construction impacts of our projects.

Hmmm, I NEVER get the Chinese spammers. My spammers almost always have a thick Indian accent and say they are Tom from my credit card company or Sally from the IRS...... Occasionally, I get one with a bland American accent (like, not from Boston or NY or the south or TX..kwim?).

I think they Chinese spammers call area codes with high % of mandarin speakers.

At least the Indian ones speak broken english that I can understand. I love the call I had with one of them last month. I was on the phone with him so long that he actually had the nerve to accuse me of wasting his time. Of course he was right. :)

It's the stalkers that really annoy me. The ones that will like every post that disagrees with something you said, or they can't bring themselves to like anything you post even though you know them well enough to know they agree with you.

What about all the DB, maybe Chinese(?) logograms, which appear in bulk every so often? I place the originators of those on the ‘ignore’ pile.
Those are basically the only ones I ever report. Just so the Mods know that they are on the board and can be deleted
Just to clarify, those spam posts are in Korean (Korean and Chinese alphabets are different -- I haven't yet seen any spam in Chinese, but I suppose it could happen) and, as far as I know, are usually financial scams of some sort. Please do keep reporting them as soon as you see them so that the mods can remove them and block the posters.

You actually pay that much attention to who likes what post?
Right? :rolleyes1
It's the stalkers that really annoy me. The ones that will like every post that disagrees with something you said, or they can't bring themselves to like anything you post even though you know them well enough to know they agree with you.
I sort of think that if you know that much about what any other particular poster is routinely liking, or what their board activities are in general, it might actually be YOU that’s the stalker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!