A Most Epic Fantasy DISmeet Cruise-The bitter end 3/21, Bonus Feature, Completed Star Wars Galaxy's Edge 6/20

not sure how many of you follow the Disneyland aspect of things, but we have this little thing opening at our park say around the end of this month. It’s not a big deal, it’s just STAR WARS GALAXY’S EDGE!!!! And I’ve got reservations on several occasions to visit thanks to @rentayenta!
I can’t wait! I have 5/31-8am & 8pm, 6/1, 11am, and now 6/8-5pm (my friend had the last one under his name and he was adamant he wasn’t going to fly out for it...until he booked airfare last night)!
We started off with Holiday Ham Shanks with Brown Sugar-Pineapple Glaze – $8.00 and of course our favorite Egg Nog. The ham was fall off the bone tender. The sauce was a little sweet for my taste, but Fran loved it.
This was so yummy too! Some of the early reviews weren’t great but I’m glad I didn’t listen to them!
We got Creamy Mac & Cheese with Garlic Bread Crumble (V) – $7.75, this was very rich, too creamy and not enough cheesy for me.
I didn’t end up getting anything at F&W this year. I had considered this, but now seeing your photos I’m glad I didn’t. Definitely looks like a cream sauce, not proper Mac and cheese sauce!

The crunch cake was tasty but not “wow!”

I am disappointed that the chocolate cake was not a garlic dessert even though it came from the garlic booth! When I was a kid my father had a cook book from the Gilroy Garlic Festival and it had a recipe for Garlic chocolates. He made them once for a party and became a legend in our family.

Until this "new" DIS figures out how to do more simple updates, I'm going to stop here. This was way way way to labor intensive for just a few pictures.

The one thing the new DIS has improved massively is multi quoting on the phone!!! See this post as proof.

I suppose if you're into that stuff I could see that.
::yes::
First trip there was last night.... :rolleyes1
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
I hadn't tried corned beef until 10-15 years ago and now I really love it.
I'm the same. It just... sounds gross. But it tastes great!
OK, if someone made the Blood Orange Simple Syrup for me I could do that.
You can't make it? It's simple enough... :confused3

Will read the update later. Too tired now.

Yesterday I had the privilege of going to Batuu, otherwise known as Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.

oooooohhhh....

Unfortunately they made us put our phones in little gray plastic bags that had a sticky strip to close them up so we couldn’t use them to take pictures or video.
Really! I'm very surprised at that.

So this brings me to my question about this new land, do you people want spoilers or not?

Sure.
I figure that everyone will be looking for touring hints and must sees and secrets before they go anyways... just like they do for anything else Disney.
Just because it's info that's available before it's officially open is a moot point to me. I won't see it for... who knows how long.

Would you like for me to describe in detail my experiences with the ride and show my photos when I finally get back in there?
Yep!

it’s like I won the lottery on which weekend I chose, because I got the first one.
Good call!
we had a few stops to make on the way out of town.
This still gets me. I know Long Beach isn't the same as Anaheim, but... to me it's all just part of Los Angeles.
From Cluck a Doodle Moo we ordered the Salt and Vinegar Parmesan Chicken Wings – $8.00. They were always out of them the previous year so I never got to try them. I thought they were really tasty and very garlicky.
That sounds good! And... still loving the names of the booths.
I forgot that it had chimichurri (cilantro) so when we cut it in thirds, Jill scraped it off of my part.
Every time I see cilantro either on a menu, on a food, or in a grocery store, I think of you.
We got Creamy Mac & Cheese with Garlic Bread Crumble (V) – $7.75, this was very rich, too creamy and not enough cheesy for me.

Yeah... that doesn't look good at all. :crazy2:
Chocolate Crunch Cake – $5.50
pretty
Until this "new" DIS figures out how to do more simple updates, I'm going to stop here. This was way way way to labor intensive for just a few pictures.
Uh, oh. I haven't done any updates yet (on the new board)... that doesn't bode well.
One thing I've found, though... it doesn't have my TR colour anymore.
The closest it has is this, but I write all my TRs in this colour. Major pain to change and I don't know if it's even possible on my phone. (Not that I do a lot of replying on the phone anyways... but the new format is supposed to make that easier, so... :confused3 )

Great short update....it’s like I was there with you! :P

Jill in CO

Would you like for me to describe in detail my experiences with the ride and show my photos when I finally get back in there?

i'm on the fence about reading about SWGE- it's a long time till our visit, but ya..I may skim the updates, I may not...we'll see

I'd be taking off the big ol' onions but leaving the cilantro

This looks kinda odd to me

Boo- I hope it gets easier asap!!

Every time I see cilantro either on a menu, on a food, or in a grocery store, I think of you.

I do too!

The closest it has is this, but I write all my TRs in this colour. Major pain to change and I don't know if it's even possible on my phone. (Not that I do a lot of replying on the phone anyways... but the new format is supposed to make that easier, so... :confused3 )

This was my major beef too. I LOVED my color and was my always go-to for my updates. #firstworldprobs but yeah, I"m not so keen on a few of the changes. Like how your watched threads no longer drop off your list as you read them showing in a more tangible way you were catching up. HATE, HATE, HATE how you have to scroll alllllllllll the way down to the bottom to see the page numbers (on phone version), so no jumping without a huge pita scroll. UGH.

I can’t wait! I have 5/31-8am & 8pm, 6/1, 11am, and now 6/8-5pm (my friend had the last one under his name and he was adamant he wasn’t going to fly out for it...until he booked airfare last night)!

Wow! That's a lot of reservations! I think by the end of June I will feel like I saw most of it. There were no maps and we couldn't use our phones so I missed a whole section.

This was so yummy too! Some of the early reviews weren’t great but I’m glad I didn’t listen to them!

I don't listen to reviews much cause I like to form my own opinions. Plus I need to know the person and their tastes. I'm willing to eat more stuff than a lot of people.

I didn’t end up getting anything at F&W this year. I had considered this, but now seeing your photos I’m glad I didn’t. Definitely looks like a cream sauce, not proper Mac and cheese sauce!

It was more sauce than cheese.

I am here. Not sure I love the new look; we shall see.....

I don't really care about the look, it's the functionality I'm objecting to.

I am disappointed that the chocolate cake was not a garlic dessert even though it came from the garlic booth! When I was a kid my father had a cook book from the Gilroy Garlic Festival and it had a recipe for Garlic chocolates. He made them once for a party and became a legend in our family.

Interesting. I had the garlic ice cream from there, but I've never heard of garlic chocolates!

The one thing the new DIS has improved massively is multi quoting on the phone!!! See this post as proof.

I will give them that! Multi quoting on the phone is much easier!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I'll start writing them down before I forget what I thought Saturday.

I'm the same. It just... sounds gross. But it tastes great!

It was just always something I'd heard of but was never served in my family's home.

You can't make it? It's simple enough... :confused3

Will read the update later. Too tired now.

I don't know what my mental block on simple syrup is. I think my mom scared me when I was a kid telling me how flammable sugar was

oooooohhhh....

No, that's Toy Story!

Really! I'm very surprised at that.

It doesn't open until Friday, they don't want people blabbing about it until its officially open. They suggested we have a memory lapse of what we saw here until the 31st.

Sure.
I figure that everyone will be looking for touring hints and must sees and secrets before they go anyways... just like they do for anything else Disney.
Just because it's info that's available before it's officially open is a moot point to me. I won't see it for... who knows how long.

I want to have pictures to support what I post so it will be at least two weeks before you see anything from me.

OK, my first yes vote!

Good call!

I made the same guess for next year too. First weekend in March.

This still gets me. I know Long Beach isn't the same as Anaheim, but... to me it's all just part of Los Angeles.

To understand this whole situation geographically you kinda have to live here. Most people don't go much more than a 5 mile radius from their houses. Fran and I included, except in circumstances mostly band related. We pretty much remain inside the Long Beach city limits. With occasional forays to Lakewood, Cypress and Los Alamitos. There are the once a week trips to Koreatown for band, and of course the occasional trip to Anaheim for Disney. But for the most part we stick within our own little couple mile radius of our house.

Long Beach is it's own city with our own Mayor, who also happens to be an openly gay Latino. We don't even share a lot of the same issues facing LA or the greater metropolitan area. The same for cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. We just don't have that many rich folks living here.

Anaheim is a whole different world. As we used to say (more back 20-30 years ago) Anaheim is behind the Orange Curtain, making a jab at the more conservative Orange County as compared to LA County. However, even that is changing now, especially last November.

When you live in this great sprawling metropolis you tend to get into a smaller community. Even if you don't necessarily have a large group of friends nearby the area, stores and other services become familiar. Our friend Margaret who recently moved to our area is always talking about how much more she likes it here because it's so much easier to get around. For 20 years she lived on the Westside (Venice, Santa Monica, Playa del Rey). And the streets there are so old and narrow, traffic congestion is horrible. She spent a year in the San Fernando valley (aka The Val-LEY), where I also lived for 20ish years. That is it's own little world.

That sounds good! And... still loving the names of the booths.

They are quite creative!

So sweet of you to be reminded of me by something I despise. 🌿

Yeah... that doesn't look good at all. :crazy2:

I couldn't eat a lot of it.

Uh, oh. I haven't done any updates yet (on the new board)... that doesn't bode well.

Maybe photobucket will work OK. I'm going to give it another shot later today.

The closest it has is this, but I write all my TRs in this colour.

Yeah, I had the same problem. Perhaps if you can figure out the hex code for your color you could dial it in manually.

Major pain to change and I don't know if it's even possible on my phone. (Not that I do a lot of replying on the phone anyways... but the new format is supposed to make that easier, so... :confused3 )

I do a lot of replying on the phone....like now!

Great short update....it’s like I was there with you! :P

I know! It's just like you were there! 😂😂😂

I do like that they have added emojis like we have on our phones! 💃💃💃

i'm on the fence about reading about SWGE- it's a long time till our visit, but ya..I may skim the updates, I may not...we'll see

Well, it still won't be like being there, but you may have a better idea of where you want to go and what not to waste time on.

I'd be taking off the big ol' onions but leaving the cilantro

I love onions! ❤❤❤

This looks kinda odd to me

Yeah, it tasted kinda odd too.

Boo- I hope it gets easier asap!!

So do I!

I do too!

This is funny how I have now become associated with something I dislike! 😂😂😂

This was my major beef too. I LOVED my color and was my always go-to for my updates. #firstworldprobs but yeah, I"m not so keen on a few of the changes. Like how your watched threads no longer drop off your list as you read them showing in a more tangible way you were catching up. HATE, HATE, HATE how you have to scroll alllllllllll the way down to the bottom to see the page numbers (on phone version), so no jumping without a huge pita scroll. UGH.

All of these things! I've already been over to the tech board and we are not alone in complaining about the lack of page numbers at the top. I also hope that they fix that "Watched Threads" thing as well. Even if I can tell which ones have been read, when I'm trying to catch up I only want to see the ones I have yet to read!

I am OK with spoilers.

OK cool! I better start writing up stuff while it's fresh in my head!

I don't know what my mental block on simple syrup is. I think my mom scared me when I was a kid telling me how flammable sugar was
So is oxygen. Don't breathe!!!!
No, that's Toy Story!
:lmao:
It doesn't open until Friday, they don't want people blabbing about it until its officially open. They suggested we have a memory lapse of what we saw here until the 31st.
I can see that. Not really caring all that much.
I want to have pictures to support what I post so it will be at least two weeks before you see anything from me.
No worries. I'll see it when I see it. Ain't gonna see it with my own eyes for months.
To understand this whole situation geographically you kinda have to live here. Most people don't go much more than a 5 mile radius from their houses. Fran and I included, except in circumstances mostly band related. We pretty much remain inside the Long Beach city limits. With occasional forays to Lakewood, Cypress and Los Alamitos. There are the once a week trips to Koreatown for band, and of course the occasional trip to Anaheim for Disney. But for the most part we stick within our own little couple mile radius of our house.

Long Beach is it's own city with our own Mayor, who also happens to be an openly gay Latino. We don't even share a lot of the same issues facing LA or the greater metropolitan area. The same for cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. We just don't have that many rich folks living here.

Anaheim is a whole different world. As we used to say (more back 20-30 years ago) Anaheim is behind the Orange Curtain, making a jab at the more conservative Orange County as compared to LA County. However, even that is changing now, especially last November.

When you live in this great sprawling metropolis you tend to get into a smaller community. Even if you don't necessarily have a large group of friends nearby the area, stores and other services become familiar. Our friend Margaret who recently moved to our area is always talking about how much more she likes it here because it's so much easier to get around. For 20 years she lived on the Westside (Venice, Santa Monica, Playa del Rey). And the streets there are so old and narrow, traffic congestion is horrible. She spent a year in the San Fernando valley (aka The Val-LEY), where I also lived for 20ish years. That is it's own little world.
Thanks for that dissertation. I found it quite interesting. Since my city is fairly small (pop about 750K), the divisions are there... but blurred more.
So sweet of you to be reminded of me by something I despise. 🌿
:laughing: Oh, Alison. You're very memorable for many things. That's just one of them. :hug:
Maybe photobucket will work OK. I'm going to give it another shot later today.
Good luck!
Yeah, I had the same problem. Perhaps if you can figure out the hex code for your color you could dial it in manually.
That's what I've done. I know which to use... but it's a pain to type it in each time instead of just clicking a colour.

Ohh that's fun! 👍🤦‍♀️🐎🍷🥂

I can see that we might get carried away with this! 😂 😂 😂

I know I will be with some people with excellent knowledge of the joint 👍

By the time you arrive, I should have the place down. I have three trips in June, and I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting in August, September, and November before you arrive.

So is oxygen. Don't breathe!!!!

:laughing:

No worries. I'll see it when I see it. Ain't gonna see it with my own eyes for months.

Maybe in September?

Thanks for that dissertation. I found it quite interesting. Since my city is fairly small (pop about 750K), the divisions are there... but blurred more.

You're welcome. :teeth: While there is tons of stuff to do all over the area, most people just end up in their own little corner, rarely getting very far out of their normal space.

:laughing: Oh, Alison. You're very memorable for many things. That's just one of them. :hug:

:laughing:

Good luck!

Thanks!

That's what I've done. I know which to use... but it's a pain to type it in each time instead of just clicking a colour.

I hope that some of these issues get resolved cause this whole thing sucks the way it is now.

Well I've done a few experiments and posted on the Tech support board with no response, so I went back to an old standby and uploaded my pictures to Photobucket, and that seems to work. I guess I'm glad that they pulled their heads out of their you know whats, and came back to their senses on pricing. I've wrapped up the rest of the day I started in the previous post, and now that I have a new "modus operandi" in posting trip reports, I'll have to go back and revise all the updates that I've already written. :headache: Oh well, at least I can go back to writing them in advance in Word and posting when I'm ready.

After visiting a couple booths, we were full enough, and around that time Jenny arrived. She had just gotten off work and you all know how it is when you have “one of those weeks”, so instead of braving the crowds in the parks, and it was super busy there! We just went to have some drinks and chilled at bit..

At some point we all decided that it would be fun to go to Trader Sam’s and get some of the new souvenir mugs. Sea Monster’s Embrace is one that Fran and I split. You can only get it for two people and they are strict on that.

Jill got the Pirahna Pool which Fran and I had got last summer.

And Jenny ordered a Krakatoa Kooler with the 4th edition mug so that we could keep the mug.

We also got their nachos, which were OK, they were cold and the BBQ sauce was kind of strange in the scheme of things.

We decided to go have some desserts and cocktails before heading to bed.

We were also able to watch the fireworks while enjoying our desserts. Sorry no photos of that.

OK, so I need to wrap up these bonus features because in just a few weeks, I’m going to really have something of substance that I think you folks will want to see….not sure how many of you follow the Disneyland aspect of things, but we have this little thing opening at our park say around the end of this month. It’s not a big deal, it’s just STAR WARS GALAXY’S EDGE!!!! And I’ve got reservations on several occasions to visit thanks to @rentayenta!

Amazing!! I can't wait to see pictures and hear your take on GE!
I will no doubt have incredible FOMO but I am ok with that because I think I also have even more fear of insane crowds so I guess I will be ok just reading about everyone else's experiences (but very jealous too!)

We started off with Holiday Ham Shanks with Brown Sugar-Pineapple Glaze – $8.00 and of course our favorite Egg Nog. The ham was fall off the bone tender. The sauce was a little sweet for my taste, but Fran loved it.

x19DL0106FOH01.jpg

Wow both of these look so yummy!

Then on to Grandma’s Recipes for Candied Yams with Marshmallow Cream and Toasted Pecans – $7.50 for Fran, I’m not sure that she liked it all that much. I don’t care for Yams or Sweet potatoes, so I let her eat this one.

x19DL0106FOH03.jpg

LOL I can take or leave yams but my sister Chunkysis would die for this.

I thought that the Beef Pot Roast on a Potato Roll with Horseradish Cream – $8.50 was fantastic.

x19DL0106FOH04.jpg

Wow this looks amazing.

From Blissfully Braised we repeated the Pork Belly Adobo and Blood Orange Ginger Mule, so yummy! I wish they would publish the recipe for this!

x19DL0106FOH06.jpg

Oh yum, I would totally get both of these!
I know Adobo is a Filipino dish made with a sauce of soy sauce, garlic and vinegar. So if you get the sauce right you can probably do it with a lot of different meats.

The meal was complete with roasted red potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and Michael grilled asparagus perfectly. It was a great meal with fun friends.

x19DL0119JJM03.jpg

Yum, I love yorkshire pudding and don't get to see it enough on menus!

Well now I really need to get goin’ on this report! Yesterday I had the privilege of going to Batuu, otherwise known as Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. Unfortunately they made us put our phones in little gray plastic bags that had a sticky strip to close them up so we couldn’t use them to take pictures or video. So this brings me to my question about this new land, do you people want spoilers or not? The next time I will be in there is two weeks from tomorrow. It will have been open for a good ten days by then and all kinds of secrets will be all over the interwebs. Would you like for me to describe in detail my experiences with the ride and show my photos when I finally get back in there?

YES!! I'd much rather hear it from someone I know rather than read blogs and videos posted by the you tubers and podcasters.

LOL what is that white sauce? I thought this was some sort of dessert when you first posted it until I read that it was...mac and cheese? Why is the sauce so...white?

Well I've done a few experiments and posted on the Tech support board with no response, so I went back to an old standby and uploaded my pictures to Photobucket, and that seems to work. I guess I'm glad that they pulled their heads out of their you know whats, and came back to their senses on pricing. I've wrapped up the rest of the day I started in the previous post, and now that I have a new "modus operandi" in posting trip reports, I'll have to go back and revise all the updates that I've already written. :headache: Oh well, at least I can go back to writing them in advance in Word and posting when I'm ready.
I've been using imgur and it worked fine with copying the bbcode link and putting it in word in advance! I tried switching to Google Photos, but realized it was going to be a PITA to have to copy each image when I'm about to post. Um, nope! I still haven't figure out how to rearrange Imgur photos in an album though, so I've just had to work around it!
Sea Monster’s Embrace is one that Fran and I split. You can only get it for two people and they are strict on that.

Hmm, that's weird they are strict? You'd think they could just count it as 2 drinks. Like if they cut you off after 3 drinks, you could get that one and 1 other solo drink?

Maybe in September?
Almost certainly.

TBH, I haven't decided. I will go in September... but... if I'm hearing the crowds are insane... I may avoid it for another time. We'll see.
You're welcome. :teeth: While there is tons of stuff to do all over the area, most people just end up in their own little corner, rarely getting very far out of their normal space.
I am not one of those people! :laughing:
I hope that some of these issues get resolved cause this whole thing sucks the way it is now.
What are you having trouble with?
I'll have to go back and revise all the updates that I've already written. :headache:
:( Well, that certainly sucks.
and around that time Jenny arrived.
Hi, Jenny!
you all know how it is when you have “one of those weeks”,
Oh, dear. That doesn't sound particularly fun.
At some point we all decided that it would be fun to go to Trader Sam’s and get some of the new souvenir mugs.
This is a first for you, no?

:rolleyes1
We also got their nachos, which were OK, they were cold and the BBQ sauce was kind of strange in the scheme of things.
That sounds less than "OK".
We decided to go have some desserts and cocktails before heading to bed.
Yum! Perfect!
We were also able to watch the fireworks while enjoying our desserts.
Very nice! Your own little fireworks dessert party!

In the meantime, I switched out to Smugmug and love it. So EASY!

I want these super bad!! I NEED to go to TS's!!

I would love to hear your thoughts on SW:GE. I think you will find the right balance of giving us an overview and not spoiling every detail. I also want to know what your impressions are.

In the meantime, I switched out to Smugmug and love it. So EASY!

Me, too. At first I didn’t want to pay the money, but it is a great product and is so easy to use. It’s also great for all other photo sharing needs! I like that it’s really easy to adjust privacy settings for each album.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!