A New Adventure Calls to Us- a Disneyland Paris TR extravaganza! COMPLETED 3/15

When the sun went down a little more we made our way through the underground tunnel and up the Arc. It was fairly crowded but the views were great and the lighting was spot on. Similarly to the Eiffel Tower, we walked around, took photos, and soaked in the views as the light was fading.
The L’Arc de Triomphe is also on my list for my next visit to Paris. Approx how far before sunset did you head up to the top?

There was a seat outside so we sat in the sunshine to enjoy our final Parisian breakfast
Loved eating al fresco in Paris. It was just so... Parisien.
The first one was one of the oldest churches in Paris (older than Notre Dame), Saint Germain des Pres. Some of the Romanesque architecture remains and it’s got some truly fantastic stained glass.
Cool!
And maybe it’s just me but I feel like the towers are out of proportion with the width of the building. I think if they were wider it would look more balanced.
It's not just you.
Jon was getting very bored of churches at this point so we took a break from religious architecture and grabbed second breakfast.
The way through a man's boredom is via his stomach. Pretty sure that's how that goes.
So we walked down the block and sat on a park bench and ate these lovely and delicately-made pastries with our grubby, not-so-delicate hands.
A more polite way of saying you slammed them into your faces as fast as you could.
An unintended benefit of the Museum Pass- access to bathrooms.
:laughing:
Conciergerie: Come for the bathrooms, stay for the history.
:lmao:
There’s a memorial to her in the space where her old cell was.
Nice. Like that.
I learned that the guillotine was in use as an official method of execution until 1977. Very weird to think about (hopefully it wasn’t the same one the whole time).
I remember reading that a few years back. And how shocked I was to discover it was still in use in my lifetime. (I told you I was old.)
with our bio/historical break out of the way
Better (hmm... maybe not?) than an historical bio break.
[Victor Hugo's house!]
Cool!
I also drank cider out of a mug for the first time. It was delicious, but wow they hardly gave me any and it was like €5.
Shoulda stuck to the inexpensive wine.
When we were there the main exhibit was on Van Gogh, and let me tell you- it was incredible.
Huh!
quite honestly I don’t remember it because I fell asleep.
Awwww...
I would like to point out that in my notes, my phone autocorrected Seine cruise to swine cruise. You have my permission to picture that however you like. A cruise with pigs? A cruise in a river of pigs? A cruise to look at pigs? Whatever you fancy.
pigs in space.gif
And not only that, but he brought his own Bluetooth speaker that he would hold near his phone so that his personal soundtrack could play in the videos. He was obnoxious, but he was prepared.
:(
Your stupid vlog that no one cares about does not trump everyone else's peace and quiet.
From the cruise we walked to the Arc de Triomphe. My goal was to see sunset from the top and we got there right at golden hour.
Nice!
Have I mentioned how much I miss French wine?
Yes. Yes you have.
Welcome to Paris, I hope you like looking at things through someone else’s phone.
:rolleyes:

The L’Arc de Triomphe is also on my list for my next visit to Paris. Approx how far before sunset did you head up to the top?
We went up kind of late so the sun was mostly set by the time we were up there. I have photos with a time stamp of about 8:40pm and the sunset for that day was about 9pm.

It's not just you.
Whew! You have no idea how often it truly is just me.

The way through a man's boredom is via his stomach. Pretty sure that's how that goes.
9 times outta 10. Food has gotten us through some tough scrapes.

Nice. Like that.
There was a big group in there for a long time so I didn't really get to look around very much, but it seemed like a pretty typical memorial type thing.

Shoulda stuck to the inexpensive wine.
I know, right? But cider is my drink of choice at home and I'd heard great things about French cider. It was really, really good. Just expensive.

Your stupid vlog that no one cares about does not trump everyone else's peace and quiet.
It wasn't too bad. Eventually we just found it funny (if a little annoying).

2 breakfasts in one day is my kind of day :)

The cruise sounds like it was fun, minus the annoying thirsty guy!

I absolutely love your outfit this day btw!
The cruise was nice! And once we got use to the Snapchat Dude and learned to laugh it off, it was even better.

And thanks- it was one of my favorites :D

I learned that the guillotine was in use as an official method of execution until 1977. Very weird to think about (hopefully it wasn’t the same one the whole time).
1.) I am concerned about myself that this is the only thing I quoted....SMH

Beautiful pictures of this day! I especially like the one of you peering over the wall at the Notre Dame construction. It actually tugged at my heart a little!

1.) I am concerned about myself that this is the only thing I quoted....SMH

Beautiful pictures of this day! I especially like the one of you peering over the wall at the Notre Dame construction. It actually tugged at my heart a little!
No need to be concerned, I think of all the things in that update, the guillotine was the most fascinating 😂

I didn't know Jon was taking pictures of me. It's one of the few times he did it without me asking (probably because I usually am always asking...) But it hits me in the feels, too!

Bonjour mes amis et bienvenue!

And there you have pretty much all the French I remember.

Hello my friends and welcome to this, my 6th TR here on the Dis! And boy is this a special one. Not that the others aren’t special, but they’re just so….domestic. As I’m sure you gathered from both the title and my spectacular grasp of the French language, this TR will transport us all across the Atlantic to the Disney park that was born in the same year as me- Disneyland Paris!

But I’m getting ahead of myself. You probably would like to know a little more about the weirdos with whom you are about to embark on this magical journey.

This is Jon, my loving bridegroom of 6 years. He likes Disney, and occasionally even admits that he loves it. For a living he rocks and rolls with all the hip folks in the Medicare world but in life his goal is to be the single greatest human being alive. Just kidding, that’s not his goal. But it’s the award I would give him.

He’s silly, loves food, and is (almost) always game for a Disney adventure.

And I’m your host (your human host, not your ghost host. Although I’m pale enough that I could understand the confusion), Ann. I love Disney and often loudly proclaim my obsession with it, both verbally and through my fashion choices. For me, planning the trip is almost as fun as going on the trip. I’m a spreadsheet fiend and if I’m not at work or traveling then I usually have Netflix (well, Disney+ now) on in the background while I plan future travels or write about past travels!

So that’s who we are. If you’re still here I’d like to congratulate you on making it through the introductions and I ask you to please remain in the ride vehicle as I give a few more important details about our trip and how this TR will probably roll out.

First of all, our visit to DLP was just one part of a much larger trip to France that we took in late August/early September of this year (2019). We spent 16 days in the country and got to see quite a bit:

• 5 days in the Paris area
  • 4 days at DLP
  • 3 days in Provence
  • 4 days in the Riviera
Because it was such a long trip and I tend to go into way too much detail, I’m really only going to focus on the DLP part of the trip. But I think I’ll add in highlights from the rest of our journey, as well as some practical info about getting to and around France. Plus if you know me, then you know I have way too many pictures to share.

Before I get started, I’ve had so many people ask me what my favorite part of France was and honestly I don’t really have one. Each place was so special and unique and it was all wonderful. Paris blew me away, Disneyland was absolutely magical, Provence was charming and drop-dead gorgeous, and the Riviera was stunning and relaxing. I highly recommend France as a travel destination and I can already tell you that we’ll go back to DLP at some point.

So if any of that sounds exciting then I invite you to don a beret, grab a fresh croissant, et allons-y!

Thank you for sharing. Been here twice , once solo and the other time with my husband. We want to go again because we loved it but we also love France.

Thank you for sharing. Been here twice , once solo and the other time with my husband. We want to go again because we loved it but we also love France.
Thanks for reading along! I loved Paris so much and I can't wait to go back- but like you we also loved the rest of France! I'll be sharing next about our time at Disneyland Paris but after that we went south through Provence and to the Riviera and both areas were just incredible.

Finally caught up, just in time for DLP!
[Could this bike's name BE any cooler?]
I love it!
First stop: The Palais Garnier! This beautiful structure was built in the mid-1800s (by one of the Napoleons) to be the home of the Paris Opera. In the late 1980s a new opera house was built and now the Palais Garnier is used mostly for ballet, although they do still perform a few operas throughout the year.
I still regret not getting to see this! Next trip I suppose!
We went to the Cluny Museum, which was on my must-do list for Paris. It’s their medieval museum (I would just like to note that this was the first time I think I’ve ever spelled medieval right on the first try) and is built on top of the ruins of an old abbey which was built on top of the ruins of an even older Roman bath. So yeah, it was like really old.
Also on my list - it was closed during my visit!
Except there was a super thirsty guy in front of us who was riding by himself and spent the whole time taking Snapchat selfie videos with that one sunglasses filter. And not only that, but he brought his own Bluetooth speaker that he would hold near his phone so that his personal soundtrack could play in the videos. He was obnoxious, but he was prepared.
Yeah, that's just annoying and weird!

Everyone can cancan- some Paris info & logistics

Okay this post will be super boring but hopefully helpful to anyone looking to spend time in Paris. I just want to cover some basics around how to get to Paris, how to get around Paris, what to expect, etc.

How to get to Paris: If you’re from the States, you’re going to fly. And you’ll probably fly into CDG. We took a taxi into Paris since it was the fastest and most straightforward option. There is a flat fee for taxis to Paris from CDG: €50 for the right bank (north of the Seine), €55 for the left bank (south of the Seine). It’s best to have the hotel or Air BnB or whatever address written down to show the driver, so that nothing gets lost in translation. I typed ours on my phone to show the driver.

Another note- be sure to join the official line for taxis. There are very clear signs and people in official vests. If someone comes up to you who is not in an official vest and asks you if you want a taxi, DON’T GO WITH THEM. It’s a scam.

There’s also a train that goes from CDG to Paris. It’s significantly cheaper but may require transfers, depending on your final destination. It will take longer and if you have luggage then that might be a pain. And if you have luggage and you’re on the train during rush hour….let’s just say you won’t be making any new Parisian friends.

How to get around Paris: We relied mostly on walking or using public transport. Once you get to the area of Paris you want to explore, it’s very easy to walk. However, Paris is massive and getting from section to section can be a bit much. They have a well-organized and easy to use system of city buses and trains.

We purchased something called a carnet of t+ tickets. T+ tickets are one-way tickets within Zone 1 of the Paris Metro and include transfers. They cost €1.90 each, but the carnet is a pack of 10 individual tickets for €16.90. They aren’t assigned to a single person, so Jon and I would share a pack until we ran out and then buy another. If I remember, I think we only went through one pack of 10 since we ended up walking so much.

You could also take taxis or Uber. There were a couple times when we couldn’t wait for a train or bus so we took an Uber instead. We found the prices to be slightly elevated from what we might pay in the US, but not horrible. The same Uber app will work in Paris (as long as you have wifi or cell service).

Some notes about public transportation:

-if you take the Metro, keep your ticket with you. Some stations require you to scan them when you exit or transfer, so don’t throw it out after you get through the gates.
-be aware of strikes. Paris transport employees are known for going on strike (in fact there was recently a major strike that pretty much closed down all public transportation in Paris). The good thing is, they are legally required to announce when they will strike. So as long as you pay attention, you will not be caught unawares. And sometimes only one system will strike, so maybe the trains are down but you can still take a bus. Or vice versa.
-Metro stations are hot spots for pickpockets. Watch your stuff and pay attention.

Scams: If you’ve done any sort of research on Paris hopefully this isn’t the first time you’ve heard about the scams. They are just a part of being a tourist in Paris. They come in many forms, but essentially they all boil down to Person A distracting you while Person B tries to pick your pockets. Person A might also forcefully hand something to you then aggressively demand payment for that thing. Lots of times it’s jewelry.

If you see someone approaching you with a clipboard or something in their hand, wave them off with a firm “Non.” Or if you’re feeling particularly feisty, “Non, va t’en!” Which is “No, go away!”

Also, generally just be very aware of your belongings. Most people will recommend that you wear a small cross-body bag with zippers and that you always keep one hand on it. You shouldn’t keep your phone or wallet in your pockets and definitely not in your back pockets. Jon carried his wallet in his front pocket and was fine. I got him a slim travel wallet so it fit nicely in his front pocket with no noticeable bulge.
Since I carry a DSLR, a small cross-body bag wasn’t an option. Instead I carried a small backpack and employed some very sophisticated and expensive means to keep it secure.

JK, I literally just used a key ring to hold the two zippers together. It also has a front pouch with a zipper and I secured that zipper to the bag with a safety pin. We were just fine. You don’t have to do anything fancy, just do what you need to so you aren’t the easiest target. A thief won’t want to mess with anything that will take more than a second.

All in all, we were only approached twice by scammers (both clipboard carriers- these people ask you to sign a petition. Generally they have your attention someone else will try to steal from you. Or (and in some cases and) once you sign they’ll demand immediate payment, hoping you’ll be scared enough to hand it over. Also, we never had anything stolen and I don’t recall a moment when anybody even tried.
Paris gets a bad rep for scams and thieves but if you put a little thought into how you carry your valuables and just stay alert, you’ll be fine.

The Museum Pass: The Museum Pass is an option for anyone who thinks they’ll visit a fair number of museums and monuments in or around Paris. There’s a whole host of museums included with the pass, which you can buy for a certain number of days. I recommend doing the math to see if it’s worth it for you. Almost every museum or monument that we visited was covered by the Paris Museum Pass, so it was a no-brainer for us.

If you do decide to purchase one, don’t bother with buying it before you arrive in France. You can actually buy it right in CDG airport, which is what I suggest. There wasn’t any line at all so it only took us about 5 minutes to get our passes, then we were able to visit our first attraction and not have to wait in any ticket lines.

You could also buy it from the ticket line at any included museum or attraction, but then you have to wait in that ticket line. And if you’re there during busy season then that might be a loooooong line. So save yourself some time and grab one from the airport.

r

What to do in Paris: This is such a big question! There’s seriously so much. I feel like we did a ton and hardly scratched the surface. But I will say that there wasn’t anything that we did in Paris that we didn’t enjoy, so I pretty much recommend everything that we did, if it fits into your timeline and interests.

One thing I for sure recommend for first time visitors is the Fat Bike Tour, especially if you can do it on your first day. It’s an awesome way to get oriented around the city and learn some fun facts about major sites! You see a lot in a little amount of time, but you don’t actually go in anywhere. If you only have a short time in Paris then it’s a fantastic way to at least see most of the major sites, and if you have more time in Paris then it can help you decide where you want to spend more time.

Another specific thing I recommend is a visit to the Luxembourg Gardens, especially if you can take some time to sit and relax. Maybe grab some food for a picnic and eat it there. It’s so beautiful and peaceful and Parisian.

Something I definitely recommend is giving yourself time to take things slow every now and then. And this is coming from a very go-go-go person. One of the reasons we decided to take that extra day in Paris instead of going on the day trip was so that we could do just that. We had a slow breakfast, we sipped tea while walking down the river, we wandered through gardens and browsed in book shops.

It was incredible and that’s probably my favorite day of all our time in Paris. And it wasn’t because of everything that we accomplished and checked off our list, it was because we slowed down and intentionally experienced the city.

That’s all I can come up with now for logistics and planning for Paris. If you have any questions or want to know more about any of the other stuff we saw or did, just let me know!

Join us on our journey! – Our first day at Disneyland Paris

Alright ladies, gentlemen, and mice. It’s now time for the part of this trip report that you actually care about- the Disney part!

Getting to DLP from Paris was pretty simple. We took an Uber to one of the train stations on the line to DLP, then took the train. We bought our train tickets when we got to the station and went to wait for the train, which ran about every 30ish minutes.

The ride is only about 40 minutes and before long we pulled into the Marne-la-Vallee station. Which is actually really big. I don’t know why I anticipated a much smaller station but this one was really big.

Our first stop was at the Disney Express counter. I pre-booked Disney Express so that we could leave our bags at the station (to be delivered to the hotel) and pick up our park tickets and go straight into the park. It was almost a breeze. They needed our reservation number, which I didn’t have and the station wifi wasn’t strong enough to let me load my email. Thankfully they said an ID would work instead so once they saw that we were good to go!

Another thing I underestimated was just how close the train station is to the park gates. In mere minutes we were at the security lines and in just a few more minutes we passed through the gates and stepped into Parc Disneyland for the first time!

We took a few minutes to soak in Town Square but our soaking was interrupted by the sound of a parade/show starting. Based on my research, I thought it was the Jungle Book Jive, which was part of their Lion King & Jungle Book Festival. This was on my list to see so Jon and I scurried down Main Street toward the Central Plaza (they don’t have a normal hub at DLP) to watch!

And guys. To say this show is incredible is THE worst understatement. Within moments I knew that we were coming back to watch it again at some point. And we ended up watching it every single day. I still randomly get the theme song stuck in my head and I will watch the show on YouTube when I’m in the mood (I’m actually watching it right now as I type this).

It’s fun, colorful, inspirational, it features cultures that we don’t see a lot of in the US parks, it has live singers and drummers, and features some of our beloved Disney characters speaking and singing in French. They also incorporate the water features in front of the castle and it ends with a very colorful bang.

Okay before I ramble on any more, just go watch it. Here’s a great recording someone put together:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[The first several minutes are the parade and setup part. The music is catchy and it’s fun to watch the floats come down and hear the characters speak in French. But if you just want to see the main show, skip ahead to about 5:00]

As you can see from our photos, we were on the outside edge of the show, but even then the view was decent. The way the stages are set up it’s hard to have the “perfect” viewing spot, but any spot lends itself to see at least a good portion of the show.

The singer who performed in this show was phenomenal. I don’t think it’s the same one as in the video link I posted (although she’s talented, too). I remember Jon and I looking at each other in amazement when we realized that the vocals weren’t pre-recorded- they sounded that amazing!

I wanted our first official stop in DLP to be the dungeon under the castle, but that was closed because of the show. Instead we went up and walked through the main castle. Which was crazy packed, because of the show.

It’s a similar vibe to the castle walkthrough at Disneyland, just written in French and if feels a little bigger.

After escaping the castle crowds we made our way to Adventureland and decided that Pirates of the Caribbean would be our first ride at DLP. It’s very similar to the US versions, with no major differences that I noticed. Although I did make a note that I preferred Redd’s outfit on the DLP version. But did I take a picture to back up my decision? No I did not.

Sorry guys.

Next to Pirates is something we don’t have in the US- Adventure Isle. We stuck around the Skull Rock part, which is a walkthrough themed after Neverland.

By this point we started to feel peckish and stopped at Toad Hall for a snack. We thought it would be a quick stop but the line was longer than we anticipated. My notes say “like seriously a loooong time.” When we got to the front we realized there was one person per cash register who had to get their own drinks, ice cream, etc. Whereas at WDW or DL there would be one person on the register then other CMs doing all the other stuff. So it was taking a while.

The language barrier also added to ordering time for some parties. We were behind a family who wasn’t French (I want to say they were Spanish but I’m not certain) and it just took a long time to get everything right because only one person spoke French and she had to translate to the rest of the family, etc.

We knew what we wanted so our order went nice and quick. We shared a beef stew pie combo that came with fries and a Magnum almond bar (no Mickey bars at DLP, sad face). I also got a Coke Zero (hallelujah for Coke Zero being a thing in France) and we sat down to enjoy our meal!

Toad Hall is really cute and we thought the food was good. So wait time aside, I still recommend it as a solid QS option in DLP.
Refueled and refreshed we went to try the dungeon again but it was still closed! So we hiked back through Fantasyland to the Storybook Land Canal Boats (called Le Pays des Contes de Fees, which translates to The Land of Fairytales). It had a 10 minute wait on the app but when we got there it was up to 15 and it actually ended up taking 25.

It was a cute ride but not worth 25 minutes.

One thing I thought was neat is that they have an Oz section. I forget that Disney has some Oz IP. As Kansans, we had to make our stereotypical “not in Kansas anymore” joke when we saw it.

Following our adorable boat ride we decided to head to Walt Disney Studios. Switching parks at DLP is very similar to at Disneyland in Anaheim. The parks are pretty much next to each other and you don’t have to go through security again if you’re park hopping.

We didn’t take much time to soak in our first entrance to WDS because we wanted to get a ride in before dinner and we were cutting it a little close. We made our way straight back to Ratatouille, where we used our hotel fastpass for the day to skip the line.

If you stay in certain room types onsite at DLP then you can get some FPs included. We stayed Golden Forest level at Sequoia Lodge, which is kind of like club level, and includes one FP per person per day that acts as an anytime FP.

The ride was super cute! It’s a fun family ride and will definitely be a hit at Epcot, especially with little ones. A neat thing is at the very end of the ride you can see into Bistro Chez Remy (which is excellent marketing on Disney’s part). I do have a slightly more in-depth review but I don’t want to spoil anything for people waiting to ride it, so here’s that:

Like I said, the ride is cute but I expected it to be just the tiniest bit more thrilling. And I don’t mean thrilling like to the level of FoP or anything, but there are moments where you sit and watch a screen and I expected the ride vehicles to move or shake or something and they don’t. So it’s very, very tame. If you’re expecting a simulator ride similar to what you might see at Universal, definitely adjust your expectations.

It wasn’t quite time for our reservation yet so we went around and took a few photos in Toy Story Land and toward the front of the park. There was a live band wearing chef outfits and playing a set so we stopped to watch them and they were so great! It was nice to see some entertainment like that in other parks.

Pretty soon it was dinner time so we went back to the Ratatouille area for our dinner at Bistro Chez Remy!

And OMG guys this place is the cutest. The theming is incredible and it looks so much like the movie.

[Naturally I needed to Disneybound as Remy]

We got seated right away and were handed menus in English. Both of us got set menus, I did the Emile menu and added the wine pairing (because French wine. Have I mentioned that I love it?) and Jon did the Linguini menu.

First up was the bread, of course. One of my favorite things about French dining is the presence of freshly sliced bread at absolutely every single meal.

For starters I did the soup and Jon tried the Guinea fowl. My soup was cold (as it was supposed to be), which was interesting. I definitely prefer a warmer soup but the flavor was really nice. Jon’s starter was good too. Neither of us had Guinea fowl before so it was a new experience.

I ordered steak as my main and Jon got the beef filet. I also got a red wine, which is unusual for me because I had never tried a red wine I actually liked. But I know that steak and red wine go together and I figured if there’s a red I like then it’s probably French. And guess what? It was fantastic.

Both our mains were great! At least, I think they were. I didn’t actually write notes about the quality. But I distinctly remember leaving the restaurant pleased with the food.

We shared Gusteau’s dessert to end our meal and I had a glass of champagne specifically made for Disneyland Paris.

The park had closed by the time we finished eating, so the CMs were rounding up a few tables to escort us out all at once. We had a few minutes to kill so I took photos of a (mostly) empty restaurant. Now it’s time to oo and ahh over the cuteness.

As promised, we were escorted out of the park. I snapped a few pictures on the way out (which I'll add in my photo dump after this) and then we went back over to Disneyland.

Last edited:
To say this show is incredible is THE worst understatement. Within moments I knew that we were coming back to watch it again at some point. And we ended up watching it every single day. I still randomly get the theme song stuck in my head and I will watch the show on YouTube when I’m in the mood (I’m actually watching it right now as I type this).
I watched some videos too and it looked awesome! I love the addition of the “daytime fireworks”!
It’s very similar to the US versions, with no major differences that I noticed. Although I did make a note that I preferred Redd’s outfit on the DLP version.
Hmm, I thought there was a lot of differences and liked it so much better than the US versions (Shanghai is a different animal altogether). The extra scene on the top level where pirates swing above you and you can see the battle below, and then the reordering of the scenes so the skeletons are at the end...
The ride was super cute! It’s a fun family ride and will definitely be a hit at Epcot, especially with little ones. A neat thing is at the very end of the ride you can see into Bistro Chez Remy (which is excellent marketing on Disney’s part). I do have a slightly more in-depth review but I don’t want to spoil anything for people waiting to ride it, so here’s that:
Yeah, I felt the same way. It was fine. I wish there was more integration with screens-like they did with Gringots and they put prop pieces where the screen meets the walls, so it’s not as obvious!
Naturally I needed to Disneybound as Remy
Cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter