A New Perspective On DVC

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
My husband and I attended a Diamond International presentation while on our Arizona vacation last week. HOLY SMOKES does it make DVC look good.

First of all, the DVC sales people are so much kinder and we never felt pressured to buy from them. Diamond had us go from person to person for three hours trying to convince us we needed to buy. When we said no, they actually got ANGRY.

We're more convinced then ever that if we ever buy a timeshare, it'll be DVC at resale.

Yeah, angry, that makes me laugh. Like that's going to sell anything. That's one of the reason why I never will sit thru a timeshare presentation. I will never agree to one. The incentives are just not worth it to me, but to each his own, I know plenty of people who loves the incentives and have fun leading on the salesman and get them riled up on purpose.

Great3

When we said no, they actually got ANGRY.
LOL. Been there. Walking away, we figured their Anger tactic just made it that much easier to say, "no." Who would want to buy from a company that treats their customers with Anger?? How was that appealing?? Oh, well. We are better off w/out that particular timeshare, certainly.

If you buy resale the DVC guides will get angry, they just do it backstage so you don't see them.

:earsboy: Bill

That made me laugh.

There was an article on Yahoo a week or two ago, where an elderly couple (retired Christian missionaries) in their 80s bought $150,000 worth of Diamond timeshare while on a cruise. The couple went through the legal process to rescind the contract, but then the sales guy called them, and they bought it AGAIN! They already had another Diamond timeshare, plus s couple of others. They borrowed against their home in Arizona to purchase it, and now are facing $19,000 annual maintenance fees. :sad2:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mon...le-buy-timeshare-frank-betty-lusk/3282776002/

Last edited:
My husband and I attended a Diamond International presentation while on our Arizona vacation last week. HOLY SMOKES does it make DVC look good.

First of all, the DVC sales people are so much kinder and we never felt pressured to buy from them. Diamond had us go from person to person for three hours trying to convince us we needed to buy. When we said no, they actually got ANGRY.

We're more convinced then ever that if we ever buy a timeshare, it'll be DVC at resale.

With DVC trying to reach the level of "industry standard" and becoming just "another timeshare", don't be surprised if one of DVC's guides someday do something similar.

LAX

I bought direct from Disney back in late 2008 and had a great experience. Recently I decided to add additional points to my home resort via resale. My DVC guide called me at least 5 times trying to get me to buy points direct again. He was actually telling me I would be better off financing the points at Riviera rather than pay all cash for the resale contract. This was definitely something I never experienced in the past and it left me with a negative opinion with the DVC guides as of late.

When I called Disney about RR ..the rep basically told me I wouldn't understand the process of buying direct since I had only bought resale.. needless to say I would never buy from him... btw - my family was one of the 1st DVC people when OKW first opened... years later my father told me never buy direct!! lol Stay away from "Joe"

When I called Disney about RR ..the rep basically told me I wouldn't understand the process of buying direct since I had only bought resale.. needless to say I would never buy from him... btw - my family was one of the 1st DVC people when OKW first opened... years later my father told me never buy direct!! lol Stay away from "Joe"
My first guide from a tour at the preview center employed sleazy, used-car-salesman tactics (including writing a number on a piece of paper and sliding it across the table, really?), so I had no interest in putting a check in her win column.

I requested a new guide and the guide I work with now has been straightforward about a lot of things Disney timeshare related and has consistently been honest about pricing and timing. No pressure tactics. No condescension. PM me if you need a recommendation for a new guide.

My first guide from a tour at the preview center employed sleazy, used-car-salesman tactics (including writing a number on a piece of paper and sliding it across the table, really?), so I had no interest in putting a check in her win column.

I requested a new guide and the guide I work with now has been straightforward about a lot of things Disney timeshare related and has consistently been honest about pricing and timing. No pressure tactics. No condescension. PM me if you need a recommendation for a new guide.

Would you recommend a guide to me – I’m interested in buying two small direct contracts for Riviera, but don’t want to deal with anyone unseemly... or annoying o_O

I'm not officially a DVC member yet (still in ROFR on my second attempt)

But I tried to throw Disney a bone by reaching out and saying I genuinely am interested in buying Riviera direct but I really don't want or need more than 75 points. Since I'm not a member yet, would I really only be allowed to buy in next week if I purchase at least 100 points?

It turns out the answer is yes. They don't want my money unless I want to buy at least 100 points. Unless my contract passes ROFR first. Then they'll happily sell me as few as 25. I don't really get why they'd turn down willing money. But oh well.

One thing bugs me about DVC direct sales is that if you are a new buyer you are treated better than an add-on buyer. With a couple of add-ons we had to fight to get another tote bag. :confused3

Interesting

You'd think they'd want to play nice in this instance with the people who have not only already willingly given them money once, but seem ready to do so again.

They do give you the perk of early access to buying new resorts, and more flexibility in the size of contract you opt to purchase though!

Interesting

You'd think they'd want to play nice in this instance with the people who have not only already willingly given them money once, but seem ready to do so again.

They do give you the perk of early access to buying new resorts, and more flexibility in the size of contract you opt to purchase though!

My guess is that since they make more money on new buyers and they are less work they save the tote bags and fast passes for them.

Fast passes is all you get and a tote bag? Fast passes are so easy if you have some patience and are tech savvy. We booked a last minute Disney world vacation over spring break (2 weeks out), 4 days one day at each park. Literally got a fast pass to every ride accept space mountain had to wait in that line. I mean everything, all day, 4 in a row waited in one line commando style. Granted I spent a lot of time on the app but only during downtime/walking. Beats waiting in those lines.

Parks seemed busy too, avatar was a 3 hour wait I got the pass around 6pm walked right in.

The anger tactic cracks me up. I guess that will work on the kind of person who just can't stand it when someone is upset with them?

Yep.

Same as car salesmen acting like you must not be able to afford it if you want to think about it.

Like that's going to sell anything.

Yet it doesn’t. Maybe not for us, but for others.

With DVC trying to reach the level of "industry standard" and becoming just "another timeshare", don't be surprised if one of DVC's guides someday do something similar.

LAX

Agreed.

I had some really sleazy tactics with Marriott Vacation Club. I had a bunch of points with Marriott Hotels, and they offered a free 3 night stay in Orlando if I would attend a 1 hour sales presentation. You had to complete the presentation to get the voucher for the free room. They kept us there for 3 hours. Every time I would say that we were not interested, they would delay and say I had to speak to one more person to get the voucher. They tried persuasion, anger, ridicule, and probably some tactics I have forgotten. After that experience, I promised myself that I would never attend another timeshare pitch, even if it involved a free week in Hawaii.

Years later we we were at Disney on the Monorail, and we saw BLT. I thought it was an apartment building. When I found out it was a timeshare, I looked at my wife and said, “I would totally buy a timeshare right there.” A few years later, we took the tour at BLT, but they were selling VGF. The Guide laid out everything, but there was no pressure at all. When we got home, I did my internet homework, but when we decided to buy, I had to initiate all contact with the Guide. She wanted to sell me 100 points. I quickly realized that we needed at least 250 points for how we would use it. She offered a random use year. I had to call back and request a use year that was more in line with our travel patterns. The whole transaction was done through voicemail. No pressure at all. The hardest part was getting her to call me back.

One thing bugs me about DVC direct sales is that if you are a new buyer you are treated better than an add-on buyer. With a couple of add-ons we had to fight to get another tote bag. :confused3

We bought resale first and now have one tote and 2 backpacks. Never a problem getting one

If you buy resale the DVC guides will get angry, they just do it backstage so you don't see them.

When we sat through the DVC presentation but did not buy, we didn't get an angry response, we got an emotionally manipulative response. Our sales lady actually asked us what "she had done wrong that we didn't want to buy from her". She followed that up with something along the lines of "What did I not explain correctly?" She was trying hard to make it seem like I obviously hadn't grasped the amazing product she had laid out for me, as I did not immediately open my wallet and make it rain in her little corner of the DVC office. It ensured that I wouldn't be buying from her that day or any day.

So maybe we just got a bad one, since most everyone else seems to be happy with theirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter