A New Perspective On DVC

One thing bugs me about DVC direct sales is that if you are a new buyer you are treated better than an add-on buyer. With a couple of add-ons we had to fight to get another tote bag. :confused3

:earsboy: Bill
We ran in to the same problem. We switched guides and our new guide hooked us up with 2 tote bags when we added on (because he knew I was bitter LOL)! We picked up a few Riviera points last week and guess what? We got the new backpack, the extra fast passes AND the ice cream. It’s amazing the difference a new guide can make!

One thing bugs me about DVC direct sales is that if you are a new buyer you are treated better than an add-on buyer. With a couple of add-ons we had to fight to get another tote bag. :confused3

You spent tens of thousands of dollars and you expect them to cough up a tote bag? They might pay several dollars a piece for those things.....tote bags don't grow on trees, you know!

:rotfl2::lmao:

WOW! I'm surprised so many of you had a bad time with a DVC salesperson. We didn't experience anything like that.

We didn't have a bad guild, but the kiosk person was odd. I forget what the situation was, but the timing or something wasn't good for us, like we didn't want to change our plans to go on the tour. The kiosk said to us, "guess you really don't want this bad enough then". Was I suppose to turn around and plead that they allow us to go on the tour?

Last edited:
We ran in to the same problem. We switched guides and our new guide hooked us up with 2 tote bags when we added on (because he knew I was bitter LOL)! We picked up a few Riviera points last week and guess what? We got the new backpack, the extra fast passes AND the ice cream. It’s amazing the difference a new guide can make!

You spent tens of thousands of dollars and you expect them to cough up a tote bag? They might pay several dollars a piece for those things.....tote bags don't grow on trees, you know!

We've only bought 25 points direct, and I had to follow up with my guide on that and wait a few days, but the whole process was seamless and I never felt like he was making me wait or demeaning me for "only" buying 25 points. When I called and left a vm about wanting to see a Riviera tour (we have never done the DVC tour, ever!) it took him a few days to call me back and it was just all info, no big deal. But I'd really like to get a few FPs for spending tens of thousands of dollars!

Is that an "industry standard"? If not, I can totally see why. :D

LAX

When we sat through the DVC presentation but did not buy, we didn't get an angry response, we got an emotionally manipulative response. Our sales lady actually asked us what "she had done wrong that we didn't want to buy from her". She followed that up with something along the lines of "What did I not explain correctly?" She was trying hard to make it seem like I obviously hadn't grasped the amazing product she had laid out for me, as I did not immediately open my wallet and make it rain in her little corner of the DVC office. It ensured that I wouldn't be buying from her that day or any day.

So maybe we just got a bad one, since most everyone else seems to be happy with theirs.
That is manipulative. Glad you saw through it and could walk away.

Yeah, angry, that makes me laugh. Like that's going to sell anything. That's one of the reason why I never will sit thru a timeshare presentation. I will never agree to one. The incentives are just not worth it to me, but to each his own, I know plenty of people who loves the incentives and have fun leading on the salesman and get them riled up on purpose.

Great3

LOL. Been there. Walking away, we figured their Anger tactic just made it that much easier to say, "no." Who would want to buy from a company that treats their customers with Anger?? How was that appealing?? Oh, well. We are better off w/out that particular timeshare, certainly.

I have been to a number of presentations, for various companies where the salespeople got angry when I didn't buy. I remember one guy who said, "You mean you are going to sit here and take advantage of the free gifts we are giving you, and you are going to waste our time for that last several hours, and you aren't even going to buy anything?" To which I said, "Yep. I didn't want to come here. I didn't come looking for you, you came looking for me. I didn't have any interest in your timeshare and I still don't, but your people corralled us and pushed us so hard to come. I told them I wasn't interested but they told me to come anyway, and pushed your 'free gifts.' Well, that is not my fault. That is YOUR sales tactics. So, yeah, I'm not buying. And I don't care what you think."

And then, the last three I went to were all at Worldmark. At the first one, the lady belittled us, in so many words, that we were cheap (I already owned 10,000 Worldmark points direct, at around $35,000) and it made me really angry. At Worldmark they sometimes don't tell you that you are going to timeshare sales meeting. Instead, they invite you down for a complimentary breakfast, or they tell you that you need to schedule your 'educational meeting' to learn how to use your timeshare better. And I have 'accidentally' ended up in two more Worldmark timeshare sales presentations since then!! One of them was when I went to check in to a new resort that I had never been to before, and the hotel staff directed me right in to sit down with a sales person, when I thought they were sending me to someone to check me in. And this was while my family was sitting around, waiting. And the second time, two salesmen showed up at our room, uninvited, to 'give us new information to help us use our timeshare better.' Of course there was no new information. Just two salesmen encroaching on MY time, taking advantage of my politeness without being honest about what they were doing. So that is Worldmark for you. Three strikes! I have learned to be VERY careful whenever I stay at Worldmark, and I avoid ALL of their 'social activities' and Complimentary Breakfasts (or lunches) or special Educational meetings, or meetings with my counselor 'to see if there is anything else they can do to help us.' What a bunch of losers. I have no respect for the company, as a company, after that, and I tell them so on every occasion I can. (On the other hand, I do try to be especially nice, and kind, to the real workers, and telephone staff, and people like that.)

Last edited:

Yeah, I can't believe it. You have to ask. It's like, "Oh, please, can you give us a free Tote Bag, with your advertising logo all over it, so I can become a walking billboard for you? Please?" They should be begging to give these things away to people. They do cost them almost nothing, and they must return their value many times over.

Oh, and I bought 325 Poly points, direct, and never had them offer me a Tote Bag or a Backpack or anything! I felt cheated when I found out what I missed. I guess they didn't appreciate it that I called THEM up, out of the blue, asking to buy, without EVER having gone to one of their tours or taking their free FastPasses. So I guess they didn't feel obligated to treat me like I was special. The only 'special' thing I got was the points from the year that I bought, when it turns out I would have got those anyway!

Truth be told the DVC backpack isn't anything you should be sad you missed out on at all!! Is extremely cheaply made and looks like they spend maybe $1 on manufacturing. It was made from a cheap Chinese partner and is an embarrassment. I personally expect more when spending $10k to $30k. A nice $75 tote bag or something they sell in their shops would be nice not these POS.

When we added on to our Poly contract, we already had a tote bag from the first contract which rarely got much use so I told my guide to skip sending me the bag but I would really appreciate some of the DVC blue reusable bags. Lol he ended up sending me two reusable bags AND the tote bag!

Is extremely cheaply made and looks like they spend maybe $1 on manufacturing. It was made from a cheap Chinese partner and is an embarrassment.
In other words, it's from the same place most other disney merchandise comes from these days. I'd pretend to be shocked, but I'm not the best actor.

Lol he ended up sending me two reusable bags AND the tote bag!

How ever will they recover! I bet there was a meeting about this. Somebody else will definitely not be getting a tote bag now! Maybe a DVC magnet, but tote bag? No way.

(at least I'm not bitter, right??)

Would you recommend a guide to me – I’m interested in buying two small direct contracts for Riviera, but don’t want to deal with anyone unseemly... or annoying o_O

I highly recommend Joan Lane. She is fantastic, and has been working with me for 2 years. We have inquired a few times, for over a year, before purchasing. She never made me feel bad, like I had wasted her time. Each time I inquired she was professional, courteous and prompt in her response. I highly recommend her.

I would like to know the name of your guide if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have added on 5 times and have not gotten a new bag or anything else extra.

You mean an extra bag on top of the one that came with each contract? We got a tote or back pack with every contract. We have too many lol

Truth be told the DVC backpack isn't anything you should be sad you missed out on at all!! Is extremely cheaply made and looks like they spend maybe $1 on manufacturing. It was made from a cheap Chinese partner and is an embarrassment. I personally expect more when spending $10k to $30k. A nice $75 tote bag or something they sell in their shops would be nice not these POS.

When our tote bag came in the mail, my wife opened it and was disappointed in the quality and size of it. I don't know if we were backpack downsized because we only purchased 25 direct points, but the thing is sized for a 10 year old. The quality is very poor. It wouldn't last very long in actual use. We continue to use the backpack we purchased in the park in 2005. It was one of those "buy $50 in merchandise and get the $19.95 backpack for $10" deals. It's ballistic nylon and suede and still looks new, despite it being tossed around the plane and airport as carry on luggage 20+ times.

My fiance and I are looking to join DVC on a trip to Disneyland in 2 weeks. I entered the chat through the Disney website just asking if I can make an in-person appointment with a guide for the day we are at Disneyland. They put me in touch with a guide who insisted on calling me that day even though I told him I was just trying to make an in-person appointment. When I talked to him (like 15 minutes before his shift ended) he said "wow you've done a lot of research, well if you have anymore questions please let me know" and wanted to get off the phone . I reiterated to him that my original intent was to buy when I go to DL and wanted to get an appointment in-person with a guide and asked if he can tell me who to call to do that. He said, "well give me a call as your trip gets closer and we can go from there." I was told I could make an in person appointment through the website. Does anyone know how to best accomplish this? Or should I just call the main phone number? I understand they want to strike while the iron is hot, but it was an odd introduction to the whole process.

My fiance and I are looking to join DVC on a trip to Disneyland in 2 weeks. I entered the chat through the Disney website just asking if I can make an in-person appointment with a guide for the day we are at Disneyland. They put me in touch with a guide who insisted on calling me that day even though I told him I was just trying to make an in-person appointment. When I talked to him (like 15 minutes before his shift ended) he said "wow you've done a lot of research, well if you have anymore questions please let me know" and wanted to get off the phone . I reiterated to him that my original intent was to buy when I go to DL and wanted to get an appointment in-person with a guide and asked if he can tell me who to call to do that. He said, "well give me a call as your trip gets closer and we can go from there." I was told I could make an in person appointment through the website. Does anyone know how to best accomplish this? Or should I just call the main phone number? I understand they want to strike while the iron is hot, but it was an odd introduction to the whole process.
They called me to schedule my appointment. I'm assuming it depends how far out your trip is, which might be why he said to call closer to the trip. I scheduled one at WDW 30 days out. But you can always call the main number and simply ask for it to be scheduled. Also at DLR the DVC offices there are much smaller than WDW so they have a lot less resources to cover people.

They called me to schedule my appointment. I'm assuming it depends how far out your trip is, which might be why he said to call closer to the trip. I scheduled one at WDW 30 days out. But you can always call the main number and simply ask for it to be scheduled. Also at DLR the DVC offices there are much smaller than WDW so they have a lot less resources to cover people.
Thanks for the insight! Ya it was less than 30 days out from my trip when I called. I heard they have a smaller staff at DL, so I thought an appointment would make sense. That way we aren't just waiting around. I'll go ahead and give the main number a try :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter