A Newbie's Guide to Orlando International Airport

There is - at least there was this morning on the A side.

I just flew out of MCO this morning. My husband was assigned TSA pre-check and I was not (previously, it has either been both of us or neither)- so we had the entire security experience!!
My husband breezed through pre-check, other than a woman in front of him who insisted on taking all of her stuff out of her bags, shoes off, etc. - she wasn't listening to anybody and was drawing the ire of the agents and those behind her. He then went to the lounge to wait comfortably for me. I had given him my few liquids to put with his, so I could avoid at least part of the regular security process, but it turns out it would not have been necessary.

I had to go with the masses. It was 5:45 - the lines were insane. Went through at the start of the line for all non-pre-check passengers. Times were posted as 22-26 minutes. About 50 feet into the line, there was a place for expedited passengers for certain airlines to break off from the line at the far left - there was a white lit sign above it, heralding expedited security for statused passengers for listed airlines. It would easily go unnoticed and the agents weren't telling anyone, you had to see it on your own. It definitely allowed those eligible to make a big 'skip the line jump' and get in front of a lot of people (the break off is before reaching the 'desks' where the agents check boarding passes).

Just for more information on today's security procedures (which are literally different every time I fly through MCO, and I have done it at least half of a dozen times this year alone).
Drug sniffing dogs working the lines at a point less than halfway to the desks. Constant calling out to everyone that there were no bins in use today - everything stayed in your bags including laptops, other electronics (absolutely no mention of food this trip), belts and shoes on - nothing in your pockets. If your shoes set off the metal detector - they said you would have to go through again, with your shoes going through the belt that 2nd time. There were still lots of people taking things out and off, and annoyed agents. Still lots of people getting snagged for missing those bottles of water they had coming into the airport. They were basically doing TSA pre-check protocols in the the regular security lines.

I set my stopwatch when I got on line - I cleared the security area after 25 minutes. If they were running the full boatload of security measures, those lines would have easily taken 60 minutes or longer. We still had plenty of time in the lounge before boarding since I am neurotic about getting to the airport early (for just that very reason - you never know how bad security is going to be). When we finally went over to the gate to board - we witnessed a lot of frantic people running to their gates. Our plane left late because they held it due to the large number of passengers who had not yet boarded - 18 to be exact, we left about 10 minutes late to accommodate the late arrivals.
I think the OP was looking for a preferred security line, not precheck. They bought first class tickets so wanted a preferred security line. I'm not at all sure those exist anymore. When I was in the precheck line, in Dec, there was a couple that had first class tickets, in the precheck line next to me. They were told to go to the regular security line. They argued that they had first class tickets, the TSA person said that didn't matter in the security area...if they didn't have precheck, they had to go in the regular line. Those were not happy people!!!
And yes, that post is from Oct '17.

I think the OP was looking for a preferred security line, not precheck. They bought first class tickets so wanted a preferred security line. I'm not at all sure those exist anymore. When I was in the precheck line, in Dec, there was a couple that had first class tickets, in the precheck line next to me. They were told to go to the regular security line. They argued that they had first class tickets, the TSA person said that didn't matter in the security area...if they didn't have precheck, they had to go in the regular line. Those were not happy people!!!
And yes, that post is from Oct '17.
Would the first class tickets entitle them to the "Expedited Security" line jump?

Would the first class tickets entitle them to the "Expedited Security" line jump?
No idea....the agent just sent them away. No idea if they tried elsewhere. But, he wasn't allowing them in the precheck line!

I was just looking at the first post, and noticed this.

Level 2 is entirely composed of Baggage Claim. Belts are located on both the A and B sides; to determine which side your bags can be found, look to see which side your gate was on.

Bags from flights arriving at Gates 1-29 (Airside 1) and Gates 100-129 (Airside 2) will be delivered to one of the belts on the A side of the Landside building.

Bags from flights arriving at Gates 30-59 (Airside 3) and Gates 60-99 (Airside 4) will be delivered to one of the belts on the A side of the Landside building.

Shouldn’t one of those involve B side?

I was just looking at the first post, and noticed this.

Shouldn’t one of those involve B side?
Good eye. Yes, at least the 60-99 (actually 70-99 now that the 60 series isn't used any more) should be Baggage Claim B.

I haven't flown in/out of Orlando in probably 15 years. My question is about our departure. After we return our rental car, where do we go to check in? We're staying in a town home off site so no hotel to print boarding passes. Could I drop off three of my traveling party at curbside check in with luggage and then drive around to return the car? Thanks.

Yes, you can easily drop off most of your party with the luggage and then drive around to return the car.

staying in a town home off site so no hotel to print boarding passes.

All airlines now have touch screen kiosks near where you check your luggage so you can print a boarding pass. It is no problem if you don't have the ability to print boarding passes prior to arriving at the airport.

Where do you like to eat at the airport?

This isn't for everyone, but our flights back are later so we usually do a "Disney Springs Day" and get some extra sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich for "dinner" at the airport.

Last time I did have some food and beer at Urban Crave near my (JetBlue) gate while some college football was on. Pretty good / not overpriced as far as airport food goes.

Just trying to clarify baggage collection. I want to use DME, but will need to grab our checked bags first since we are coming in relatively late and want to ensure we have our bags for bedtime.

If I have side A baggage claim, I will need to go upstairs after getting our stuff, cross over and go to side B for DME?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!