A Newbie's Guide to Orlando International Airport

OK, cool. For some reason I was thinking they were insisting that folks go pick up their luggage after 10pm. I didn't think they were allowing folks to leave it at the airport overnight.
I haven't heard of anyone leaving the bags to be picked up and delivered the next day yet. But I can't imagine how they would force someone to get their bags. I mean, if someone just didn't understand how the late night system worked and they put the yellow tags on their checked bags but arrived after 10pm, I can't imagine that they would have to worry about not getting their bags the next day. Perhaps someone who has had some experience with this will post.

The airport is split into 5 main buildings. The outer buildings, called Airside buildings, are where all of the gates are located. They are arranged in a rectangle and connected to the main terminal building, which is called the Landside building, by very cool short monorails. The monorails connect to the 4 corners of the Landside building, inside the security checkpoints, so the only way to get from the Landside building to one of the Airside buildings is to go through security and take a monorail.

I am flying out in the morning on Southwest to WDW and want to be sure that I understand how to get to the Magical Express, after I get off the plane we go to the first floor and to the B side, is that right?

I am flying out in the morning on Southwest to WDW and want to be sure that I understand how to get to the Magical Express, after I get off the plane we go to the first floor and to the B side, is that right?
Yep, you've got it right. You will take the tram from your arrival gate. When you get off the tram, you'll be on level 3. You will cross the terminal and head to Side B. Go down the escalators, to level 2 and baggage claim. I usually just take the elevator down from level 2 to level 1. Get off the elevator and go to the left..walk all the way down, past the rental car counters and you will see the DME checkin counter on your right, with the driveway out to your left. Easy peasy.

We want to rent a car when we arrive at MCO in 2 weeks. We will arrive at 11 pm. and don't want to ride a shuttle bus. Which Rental Car companies have cars right on-site? We especially are looking at Thrifty or Dollar and wonder if they are actually on-site or if they'll shuttle us somewhere. We do not want to shuttle. Did I say that already? :confused3 ha ha

I saw the 9 car companies listed at the beginning of this thread, but wasn't sure if those companies have cars right on-site???
Please straighten me out.
Thanks so much,
Pomcoach from Iowa:cheer2:

We want to rent a car when we arrive at MCO in 2 weeks. We will arrive at 11 pm. and don't want to ride a shuttle bus. Which Rental Car companies have cars right on-site? We especially are looking at Thrifty or Dollar and wonder if they are actually on-site or if they'll shuttle us somewhere. We do not want to shuttle. Did I say that already? :confused3 ha ha

I saw the 9 car companies listed at the beginning of this thread, but wasn't sure if those companies have cars right on-site???
Please straighten me out.
Thanks so much,
Pomcoach from Iowa:cheer2:

Most if not all of the major companies have on-site locations at the new car rental center, so you should be good to go. I will say be careful and pay attention especially when returning the car, as you have two options (for terminal A and B) and you want to end up on the correct side. Also, not sure if it was just me, but once inside the garage yesterday on the return trip the corners are sharp and the signage is not great. I ended up in the Dollar return lane for my Hertz rental, so I had to spend a few extra minutes getting to the right return location.

Thank you, but do you know which companies have cars right on-site? We don't want to take the chance of booking with a company now and getting to the airport and finding out we have to get on a shuttle to claim our car.

On this website, it says Hertz is on-site. But I have their address for the cars as 3.7 miles away from the airport. So I think their Rental company desk is at the airport, but then they shuttle you to get your car. We'd rather just walk across from the airport and get in a rental car.

Anybody know which companies we can book with, in order to get a car right at the airport?

Thanks,
Pomcoach

Thank you, but do you know which companies have cars right on-site? We don't want to take the chance of booking with a company now and getting to the airport and finding out we have to get on a shuttle to claim our car.

On this website, it says Hertz is on-site. But I have their address for the cars as 3.7 miles away from the airport. So I think their Rental company desk is at the airport, but then they shuttle you to get your car. We'd rather just walk across from the airport and get in a rental car.

Anybody know which companies we can book with, in order to get a car right at the airport?

Thanks,
Pomcoach

I think the first post in this thread lists 9 car rental companies that are on-site.

Thanks,
Pomcoach

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-transportation.htm#rental

If memory serves me right when we rented from Enterprise we just walked out the door, across the street, got on an elevator that took us up to the level that Enterprise was on and got our car from there.

The orlando airport is way out of date. They still use old school check in and ticktet information.

The orlando airport is way out of date. They still use old school check in and ticktet information.

Many airlines are updating there ticket counters...some airlines only "rent" space, so they may be bit old...

The technology behind the scenes though...is not out of date...I work there, I have first hand knowledge..

Thanks for sharing, we will be going to Orlando next week and its our first time to visit the place, this will help us a lot.

What are the hours of the shops? We will be arriving at 10pm, but we have to wait for other family members who come in an hour later.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this thread :)
I am actually flying into America in SanFran and catching a domestic to Orlando and then flying out domestic to LA and then catht he international home...as long as I find the terminals and where I'm meant to be I'll be good lol Have not been on a plane in ten years (and that was my first and only time, and was local travel) so am very nervous about getting around airports in general.

I'm a huge fan of LUSH products, and there is a shop in the Orlando airport! :cool1: They make wonderfully-scented, handmade and fresh bath and body products.

The bad news is, it's located in the Landside building, so when-not IF-I buy something, it will have to be before going through security.

The good news is, they will ship it home for free! :cool1: So no worries about buying a big bottle of liquid shampoo/body wash and having TSA take it away from you. :mad: :eek:

**Airline Update**

As of January 18th 2011, JetBlue has moved to the other side of the airport. The are now located in gates 1-29.

We are renting a car in May at the airport. The directions to our hotel say to use the North exit to get out of the airport.

My problem is, the last two times I rented a car at MCO (years ago) there were no signs to the north exit and both times we ended up getting spit out of the South exit before we even knew what was happening.

Can anyone give me some directions or advice? For once, I'd like to find the North exit. Does it really exist? :confused3 ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter