A Polynesian Birthday: March 6th - 12th! *Updated and completed 6/10*

39477806770_a80cecdd81_z.jpg

Great picture! :thumbsup2

When I went to the locker to pick up our jackets I noticed some people sleeping in that building.

o_O

But I did spot this rose gold unicorn cupcake. Disney was over the top with the rose gold!

That is so pretty! For some reason I'm wondering what flavor the cupcake is. :confused3

Aloha Pork Sandwich

Now that looks delish. I must be hungry. :rotfl:

We are staying at Poly this August for our second trip. We’ve only stayed at French Quarter before. A little nervous. Haha.

but I was able to find the ears I wanted and quickly purchased them.
They are so cute! They match the F&G Dooney bags too. :)

I decided we should try something new/old so we got in line for Reflections of China. Man, is that one dated film! It was also a little bit cheesy with the dead poet narrator, but I'm glad we did it.
I haven't checked out the movie yet but really enjoyed watching the acrobats last summer.

It probably would have been a really cute picture if I had been wearing a solid color, and maybe didn't have on busy ears as well.:rolleyes1 There was also a magic shot with Iago there, but it's really bad and I can't bring myself to share it. But if you like magic shots be on the look out in Morocco!
This is cute!

We made it to France. I had to very strategically take this photo so there weren't strangers in it.
My favourite topiary.

We rode Spaceship Earth with a FP. Have I mentioned that I miss the Jeremy Irons narration? Cause I do.
I never heard the Jeremy Irons version but can imagine it would be very good.
The Polynesian grounds are so lovely so I really enjoyed the walk back from the TTC.
Love the walk back from the TTC!

I decided it was high time that I tried a Dole Whip, so off I went.
And.....

...But, enjoy it, I did not. I'm a fan of pineapple, and I love ice cream, but this tasted incredibly artificial to me. It seemed to coat my mouth with chemical ickiness. Man, I really wanted to like this dessert, but I disliked it so much I couldn't even finish it.
Too bad! I really enjoy it with the pineapple juice. Too bad it was a fail for you. :(

We checked out Basin and I made my dad wash his hands with one of their scrubs because it was amazing, and made my hands feel so smooth. He said it made his hands feel slimy :sad2:. I had never been to Gasparilla Island Grill -- after asking for directions because I had no clue where it was. We hadn't eaten dinner yet so I thought we might find something interesting there. Spoiler alert: we didn't. But I did spot this rose gold unicorn cupcake. Disney was over the top with the rose gold!
Haha, love the "slimy" comment! I love Basin and am obsessed with their bath bombs! The cupcakes always look so pretty to me but I never like how they taste.

We checked out the Contemporary's food options, and this mini cake was so cute! None of the food options really caught my interest, though.
The mini cake is adorable!

Since we struck out at both resorts, we ended up back at Capt Cook's and ordered some food to take back to the room.
The pulled pork sandwich looks delicious!! Cap't Cooks has some great options.

I love resort hopping when staying at one of the monorail resorts. We have stayed at all 3 and GF was my favorite stay, followed by Poly, then Contemporary (we were in Garden wing). My DVC fave is BLT so go figure!

I tried the blueberry Mickey scone from that same shop and it was just fair.

I’m sorry you didn’t like a dole whip. I like the swirl but do not like the plain dole whip. The upside down pineapple cake with the vanilla on it is yummy!

The hat looks great on your dad and your Bloody Mary yum!

People will sleep anywhere, I guess:rotfl2:

Resort hopping is so much fun! Being close to other resorts like that is more of a sell for me than the proximity to MK, really. I haven't stayed at Grand Floridian but I really feel like I'd love it. Maybe someday! I actually always forget about BLT, but their rooms are really nice.

I feel like scones are pretty hard to do well. At least they're Mickey shaped and cute :hyper:

I'd give Dole Whip another chance and I am intrigued by the upside down cake! Cake and ice cream is one of my favorite desserts!

I love the hat on my dad; glad I convinced him to buy it!

Oh my goodness, I know - I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But I guess it's not TOO much different than falling asleep in American Adventure, for instance :laughing:

That hat your dad got looks great!

Thank you, I agree! He likes it so much he's not sure he wants to wear it in case it gets dirty or ruined :rotfl:

Great picture! :thumbsup2

Thank you! Monorails make any picture great, in my opinion.

That was pretty much my face when I saw them!

That is so pretty! For some reason I'm wondering what flavor the cupcake is. :confused3

I honestly have no idea. I kind of saw rose gold and rolled my eyes - they sure like to capitalize on a moment! But it is a pretty cupcake, and I do like rose gold.

Now that looks delish. I must be hungry. :rotfl:

It hit the spot! It does look really good in the picture - maybe I would have it again someday!

We are staying at Poly this August for our second trip. We’ve only stayed at French Quarter before. A little nervous. Haha.

Oh, you'll love it! The grounds are gorgeous, like FQ, and I loved being able to take a boat to the Magic Kingdom, and it's really nice to be in monorail distance to other resorts - really makes it easier to try new restaurants and stuff! I'd ask for ground floor or top floor so you can have a patio or balcony - the second floor doesn't have a balcony and we really loved sitting outside there.

They are so cute! They match the F&G Dooney bags too. :)

I must have missed the F&G Dooney bags, I can't remember seeing them. F&G tends to have the most adorable merch anyway!

I haven't checked out the movie yet but really enjoyed watching the acrobats last summer.

The acrobats are so cool! Probably more interesting than the movie, though I hear they're updating it soon.

This is cute!

Thank you! All the patterns make me feel a little cross-eyed haha!

My favourite topiary.

It's one of the best! I'd say I like the Rafiki topiary best, but I'm biased because The Lion King is my favorite movie.

I never heard the Jeremy Irons version but can imagine it would be very good.

He has such a calming voice, and I miss the fiber optics on the descent. The interactive part is kind of cool - but then the descent has nothing to look at besides a screen! I think there's ride-throughs with the Jeremy Irons narration on youtube!

Love the walk back from the TTC!

It's super pleasant. The grounds at the Poly are perfection!

Too bad! I really enjoy it with the pineapple juice. Too bad it was a fail for you. :(

I was bummed! I really thought I'd like it. I'd be open to giving it another chance, though.

Haha, love the "slimy" comment! I love Basin and am obsessed with their bath bombs! The cupcakes always look so pretty to me but I never like how they taste.

Basin is so nice! I'd buy lots of bath bombs but my tub in my apartment is no good. I agree - at least about these fancy cupcakes. They look fantastic, but probably don't taste that great. At a cupcake store in my town they have a chocolate cupcake with vanilla buttercream and sugar sprinkles and it's perfection in its simplicity!

The mini cake is adorable!

SOOO cute! I kind of regret not getting it.

The pulled pork sandwich looks delicious!! Cap't Cooks has some great options.

It really does! I like the QSR with unique options like Capt Cook's and The Mara.

June Trip itinerary

Feel free to skip over this if you don't want to read an itinerary! I think I finally have everything the way I want it, so I thought I'd include it here! *All plans are subject to change for soft openings of Toy Story Land* :laughing:

Because this is Disney, and the planning never ends, I'll put edits to the itinerary in blue.

• Thursday, June 21st
    • Arrive at MCO at 2:10 PM
    • Check into Animal Kingdom Lodge! We have a pool view room booked.
    • Try for Sanaa walk-up - not sure what time we'll get to AKL, so I decided not to book an ADR
    • Animal Kingdom (or stay and relax at Animal Kingdom Lodge - we'll play it by ear)
      • Open until 10:30 pm
      • Expedition Everest FP @ 5:55-6:55
      • Kilimanjaro Safaris FP @ 7:25-8:25
      • Na'vi River Journey FP @ 8:25-9:25
      • I think I definitely want to come to the park and really experience it at nighttime. Riding Everest at night is the best, and I haven't gotten to do that since 2008.
  • Friday, June 22nd
    • Trattoria Al Forno Bon Voyage breakfast ADR @ 9:00
      • One of my best friend's cousins is joining us for this meal!
    • Epcot
      • Open 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
      • Will enter the park through the International Gateway
      • Frozen Ever After FP @ 11:40-12:40
      • Living with the Land FP @2:15-3:15
      • Spaceship Earth FP @4:30-5:30
        • FPs at Epcot are the WORST.
  • Saturday, June 23rd
    • Boma breakfast ADR @ 8:30
    • Hollywood Studios
      • Open 9:00 am - 9:30 pm
      • Star Tours FP @ 9:45-10:45 (maybe should move this later)
      • Rock N Roller coaster FP @ 11:25-12:25
      • Tower of Terror FP @ 12:40-1:40
      • Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater ADR @ 2:45
  • Sunday, June 24th
    • Switch hotels to Contemporary Resort. We have Garden Wing standard view booked. This part of the trip is when Dad's conference starts, so I'll probably be doing lots of solo stuff, or spending time with my friend's cousin and her family!
    • Magic Kingdom
      • Open 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
      • Trying to rope drop MK - but that's probably a pipe dream for me.
      • Space Mountain FP @ 9:10-10:10
    • California Grill -Brunch at the Top ADR @ 11:15
    • Magic Kingdom
      • Splash Mountain FP @ 2:30-3:30
      • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP @4:50-5:50
  • Monday, June 25th
    • Hollywood Studios
      • Open 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
      • Tower of Terror FP @ 9:35-10:35
      • Rock N Roller Coaster FP @ 11:25-12:25
      • Star Tours 1:25-2:25
  • Tuesday, June 26th
    • Epcot
      • Open 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
      • Spaceship Earth FP @ 9:55-10:55
      • Living with the Land FP @ 12:20-1:20
      • Test Track FP @ 1:20-2:20
      • Evening - Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix dance party
  • Wednesday, June 27th
    • Animal Kingdom
      • Open 9:00 am - 10:30 pm
      • Flight of Passage FP 9:50-10:50
      • Kilimanjaro Safaris FP 11:40-12:40
      • Expedition Everest FP @ 2:40-3:40
    • Magic Kingdom
      • Open until 1:00 am with Extra Magic Hours
  • Thursday, June 28th
    • Possibly visit a park or Disney Springs
    • Departure from MCO @ 7:00 pm

Last edited:
I'm late, but I'm here! Loving your trip report, and can't wait to follow your June report as well (especially since some of our dates overlap!). Thanks for sharing your trip details!! :)

Those Flower and Garden Festival ears are so cute!!!! Did you make them?

Good plans for your upcoming trip! I'm excited for you to try Boma for breakfast. I think it's one of the best buffets on property. I really enjoyed the breakfast there as there were just so many options. The buffet seems endless!

Just power read through your report.

I love going to WDW in the Spring, Epcot is so pretty during F&G. Those ears are very cute!

I'm late, but I'm here! Loving your trip report, and can't wait to follow your June report as well (especially since some of our dates overlap!). Thanks for sharing your trip details!! :)

Thanks for joining in!

That's so exciting we'll be there at the same time! Where are you staying?

Those Flower and Garden Festival ears are so cute!!!! Did you make them?

Good plans for your upcoming trip! I'm excited for you to try Boma for breakfast. I think it's one of the best buffets on property. I really enjoyed the breakfast there as there were just so many options. The buffet seems endless!

Thank you! No, I didn't make them (I'm not creative at all), they were official F&G merchandise!

I'm excited about Boma breakfast too! I hope it's as good as dinner!

Just power read through your report.

I love going to WDW in the Spring, Epcot is so pretty during F&G. Those ears are very cute!

Spring is such a fun time to visit, I agree!

I can't wait to read your TR for June!

Day 6 – Sunday, March 11th – Animal Kingdom

Today we were heading back to Animal Kingdom. When I had booked FPs I was only able to get Flight of Passage on our last day, so it was necessary to return. We could have skipped Animal Kingdom since we did wait standby on our first day, but I was feeling like visiting again.
41443673814_031410dc66_z.jpg

41443671184_3915d132bb_z.jpg

I really like how the monorails go right over the bus stop.
41443668484_4550c1538a_z.jpg

41443664224_69c942b9a4_z.jpg

A short bus ride later we were arriving at the Animal Kingdom!
41443662414_b7e0da8e57_z.jpg

27292848327_2e267b6ddd_z.jpg

Like everyone else, our first order of business was Pandora. As you can see it was a really beautiful day.
27292842997_5cb2e06b1b_z.jpg

27292839927_2f41396dc5_z.jpg

27292837477_9613a5833c_z.jpg

41263532045_b23e2349ac_z.jpg

28291702758_d6d5143844_z.jpg

28291701028_049959086c_z.jpg

28291698808_c79d7942be_z.jpg

This is one of my favorite pictures. Lens flare might be overrated, but gimme more!
28291697278_e9fc0bf81d_z.jpg

We took our flight of passage and then headed toward Yak and Yeti.
28291695618_dfb73cccc0_z.jpg
28291694028_73313015a0_z.jpg

Malva Cake sundae, I’m coming for you later this month! Has anyone tried this? I'm imagining it's like the malva pudding dessert at Boma, but I think that's wrong.
42117938722_9ed8a8ed67_z.jpg

42117937192_d4b925e4c4_z.jpg

42117935842_e7610b8180_z.jpg

42117934612_3545165189_z.jpg

We have a Landry’s card, so even without a reservation we were seated within minutes AND we were seated in my favorite upstairs window room.
42117933022_47672c397b_z.jpg

39477821290_81216c166a_z.jpg

After a slightly disappointing entrée choice on our last visit, I went back to my old standby this time around. This meal has never let me down!
41287473201_4295af4ce0_z.jpg

Vegetable Lo Mein - Lo Mein noodles, carrots, cabbage, green onions, bean sprouts. Add tofu $4.00

Also, can we talk about how the chicken lo mein is $19.49, and the tofu lo mein comes out to $22.49. WHY is tofu so much more than chicken? This is the only restaurant I’ve noticed such a crazy upcharge for some tofu.

We'll explore some more Animal Kingdom after lunch!

Next post: Day 6 - Sunday, March 11th - Animal Kingdom, part 2

Last edited:
Your June plans look good. Was it really that hard getting FP's at Epcot on the 22nd. I can see why Frozen is stuck where it is, but I would think you could jump at least one of the other two ahead of it if you wanted.

I'm really enjoying your trip report, and had to pop in to say that when you visit Flynn at the start of your June trip, we'll be visiting him before leaving from ours! Our reservation is a little later (9:30), so don't wear Eugene out!!

Thanks for joining in!

That's so exciting we'll be there at the same time! Where are you staying?

We are staying at PoFQ for our June trip. I took my girls (almost 18 and 15) Spring Break and we stayed there (I had stayed there before, but they had not) - and they fell in love. So, we booked a bounceback before we left. I hope you have a fab time in June! We'll be there 6/20-24, so just a sort trip.

I love your Pandora pictures and Y&Y is one of our favorites. I agree with your statement about FP+ in Epcot sucks!

Your Plans for June sound great, that will be here before you know it!

Pandora looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person.

It really is so beautiful and I'm no Avatar fan! You're going to love it, can't wait to read about your reactions.

Your June plans look good. Was it really that hard getting FP's at Epcot on the 22nd. I can see why Frozen is stuck where it is, but I would think you could jump at least one of the other two ahead of it if you wanted.

Yeah, I honestly don't know why it is the way it is. I was in San Francisco so Dad had to book the FPs. I went ahead and switched the Frozen Ever After to Test Track!

I'm really enjoying your trip report, and had to pop in to say that when you visit Flynn at the start of your June trip, we'll be visiting him before leaving from ours! Our reservation is a little later (9:30), so don't wear Eugene out!!

Thank you so much! That's really fun, we'll probably be there at the same time! I make no promises about not wearing Eugene out though :rolleyes1

We are staying at PoFQ for our June trip. I took my girls (almost 18 and 15) Spring Break and we stayed there (I had stayed there before, but they had not) - and they fell in love. So, we booked a bounceback before we left. I hope you have a fab time in June! We'll be there 6/20-24, so just a sort trip.

Oh that sounds lovely, I adore POFQ. I got to stay there for the first time in November and it's just so convenient and beautiful! I'd probably pick it over some Deluxes, honestly. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I love your Pandora pictures and Y&Y is one of our favorites. I agree with your statement about FP+ in Epcot sucks!

Your Plans for June sound great, that will be here before you know it!

Thank you! It seems like I always take too many pictures of Pandora - can't help myself!

There's really almost no point to booking FP in Epcot, wish they could do something to fix it.

Thanks! Since posting the itinerary I've already made some changes - but that's the way Disney planning goes :laughing:

Last edited:
Day 6 - Sunday, March 11th - Animal Kingdom, part 2

When we finished our lunch I wanted to try and see the baby tigers again.
27414772718_5e23e3ae36_z.jpg

42117931282_c6ccff8d82_z.jpg

But, can’t see the tigers without seeing the bats! Sorry if anyone reading has a bat phobia!
42117929432_ed79208991_z.jpg

42117928082_b5c01b80e6_z.jpg

42117926042_4fe26594d2_z.jpg

42117924332_3b37cc80db_z.jpg

Next up were the tigers! The tigers were visible more time, and I’m pretty sure the tiger in the back is one of the babies. I was a bit sad cause those babies are hardly babies anymore!
42117919152_d48355a3b1_z.jpg
42117917552_326f8c7815_z.jpg

42117914542_74a710c874_z.jpg

Here’s the male tiger looking all regal.
41443610954_45f062c8a5_z.jpg

I took just a couple pictures in the aviary on this day.
41443607684_01960f1bf8_z.jpg

41443604754_db41a3d1ea_z.jpg

We had a Safari FP but we opted to skip it and went to the Tree of Life to admire the trails and maybe see some more animals.
41443601624_eb7164d35d_z.jpg

41443598494_b5a0f44312_z.jpg

It was feeding time for the lemurs, and we were lucky enough to catch it! I’ve actually never seen any feeding time at Animal Kingdom. We talked to the zookeepers a little bit about the lemurs, and it was fun to learn more about them. Apparently they were a little confused today due to Daylight Savings time starting so to the lemurs it seemed like they were being fed an hour late. I also questioned them about the lemur that is missing half its tail and they said the lemur arrived to Animal Kingdom like that, and it seems to have no effect on his daily life!
41443594884_ea53d0dc4c_z.jpg

40357511250_9b8b1bb88e_z.jpg

42117909932_7103085bfb_z.jpg

42117909242_03303f383a_z.jpg

Here’s the little half-tailed lemur giving a big yawn.
42117908032_907b3c2469_z.jpg

Lemurs have to bathe too!
42164284791_92ca77856e_z.jpg

42164282081_5f7c69184e_z.jpg

We watched the lemurs for quite a while, and then we left Animal Kingdom.
26415436717_646610df8d_z.jpg

Next post: Day 6 - Sunday, March 11th - Relaxing at the Poly

Last edited:
Day 6 - Sunday, March 11th - Relaxing at the Poly

We had just arrived back at the Polynesian after our Animal Kingdom adventures, and the monorail arrived at the same time we did!
41244351502_8d0cf57651_z.jpg

This day was the warmest of our trip so we thought about taking a swim in the volcano pool. In the end, I couldn’t commit to the effort required to swim – changing clothes, showering after the swim, reapplying makeup etc etc, so we just enjoyed the sunshine and some downtime around our beautiful resort.
41287478421_2fd628f3ba_z.jpg

40390785825_57d3413eee_z.jpg

40573718994_7e67b24686_z.jpg

Mousekeeping had had some fun in our room. I bought Hei Hei for the child of one of my best friend’s. The kids at her daycare thinks she looks like baby Moana, so it’s fitting! And there’s a picture of the AP magnet we got at Epcot!
41287475361_4a1952ab8b_z.jpg

If I was going to enjoy the sunshine I decided I needed a Lapu Lapu. Especially since I hadn’t had one yet. Can’t stay at the Polynesian and NOT get a Lapu Lapu!
40390781735_e38d73e375_z.jpg

I wasn’t entirely sure if it was allowed to take the Lapu Lapus away from the lounge, but I took my chance and walked back to the room, and no one stopped me.

It was SO pleasant sitting on our patio drinking a tropical drink. And, boy, do those things pack a punch.
39477814660_6e0e3f099e_z.jpg

27414757618_4dff4af4c4_z.jpg

Dad also enjoyed the patio.
39477814350_23934f4460_z.jpg

And being barefoot. It was thrilling to him that he had walked to the bar to grab a beer without shoes on and he talked about how he hadn’t gone barefoot since he was a kid. It’s the little things, I guess!
40573720504_40a01789ee_z.jpg

I miss this view a lot.
40390799625_c77b14f5e2_z.jpg

41244358332_35f8ccbab9_z.jpg

Look who joined me on the patio!
40573734404_bfd49ebd98_z.jpg

When my very strong drink was finished Dad and I went to the pool bar to see what they had. Here’s a look back at our patio. #teampatio
27414757008_cca75d0aec_z.jpg

The pool looked SO inviting I about convinced myself to get in. I didn’t, but I did wade in the zero gravity entry area.
27414768068_af9291b9b1_z.jpg

26415435537_61a630b949_z.jpg

Looking toward our building. What a wonderful location! I’ll probably never get over it.
40390780585_880b18ffba_z.jpg

At the pool bar I noticed they had a special rose gold margarita. Didn’t I tell you Disney was overdoing it?
40390801365_947600d724_z.jpg

I went for a Bloody Mary. This one was much more basic than the one I had at Epcot, but the bartender had made it spicy for me so I was happy.
40573719434_69f9be3457_z.jpg

Dad got a beer. He always says Animal Kingdom Lodge has the best pool bar, but I think this one might have given AKL a run for its money.
27414752478_cc2ac8aec2_z.jpg

We spent a good amount of time relaxing around the resort, and while I was waiting I booked a FP for later at MK!

Up next - evening at the Magic Kingdom!
Next post: Day 6 - Sunday, March 11th - Magic Kingdom

Last edited:
I notice you have a ton of ears when I read your Sugies part 2 trip report. How many do you have? I only have 4 right now, but I'll probably buy some more on my next trip.

I have 6! I have to show major self control from buying more, they make sooo many adorable ones!

Sounds like a nice afternoon at Epcot!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the dole whip!

Spending the evening exploring the other resorts sounds fun!

Nice morning at AK! Love the pics of the lemurs!

That patio really worked out for you guys! And yay for an appearance from the porg!

Yay for being almost 2 weeks away from your trip! :cool1:

Oh that sounds lovely, I adore POFQ. I got to stay there for the first time in November and it's just so convenient and beautiful! I'd probably pick it over some Deluxes, honestly. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

My oldest puts it ONLY behind GF, and only by a smidge. That's how much they loved it. We've actually just decided to go down a day earlier, so now we'll arrive (doing that first night at PoP though) on the 19th. Yay!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter