A question about Animal Kingdom Lodge and its fire pit

daf

Mouseketeer
We're considering booking a Savana view room in Animal Kingdom Lodge.
We have some health issues with wood smoke, and we noticed that there are several fire pits around AKL - one next to Sanaa, one right behind the lobby next to the savanna, and others.
We phoned the resort and found that they're indeed burning wood, not gas, which could be a problem for us.

We are wondering if the smell of smoke is noticeable from the rooms facing the Savanas.
Can anyone attest to that?

Thank you.

We're considering booking a Savana view room in Animal Kingdom Lodge.
We have some health issues with wood smoke, and we noticed that there are several fire pits around AKL - one next to Sanaa, one right behind the lobby next to the savanna, and others.
We phoned the resort and found that they're indeed burning wood, not gas, which could be a problem for us.

We are wondering if the smell of smoke is noticeable from the rooms facing the Savanas.
Can anyone attest to that?

Thank you.
I'm very sensitive to smoke and I've never had a problem with the lobby fire pit. There is no smell of smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: daf
It is quite a distance from the fire pit in the Jambo lobby to the rooms. If you're at all concerned, ask for a room above the first floor, and there will be almost no chance of the smoke being noticeable.

Last edited:

“Wood” is a combustible that while mostly predictable when burned, is not uniform and is influenced by other factors, such as wind, rain, and how ignited. I have no idea what wood(s) they burn at the lodge. When burning properly, it should have very little smoke emitted.

Last weekend we returned from a stay there. We had a savanna view room and at no point did I smell smoke from the balcony and certainly not from the room.

While I knew about the fire pits and saw them when extinguished, I never was around to see a fire. My wife and daughter did go one night to make s’mores. One late afternoon, I could clearly smell a wood fire and while I couldn’t then see it, I know the pit was a good 50+ yards away, on the other side of various shrubbery and the Maji pool bar building. Again, this was in a communal space by the pool that I smelled it, not our room. While I’m sure there was enough ppm for me to smell it, it wasn’t irritating and I couldn’t see any smoke, but it was a rather pronounced smell. I’m guessing if it was one of the parking lot view rooms, those folks could smell it if on their balconies.

On balance, I think most if not all would never notice the smoke from the savannah balconies, let alone rooms. I also think it would be pretty easy to avoid the communal areas that have the fires; as far as I know, they’re not burning all day, just an hour or so, here and there.

I’m a DVC member with AKL Jambo House as my home resort and never recall the smell of smoke from the pits in our many years of visiting.

Are they lit all the time or just a couple hours in the evening? If they’re like other hotels it’s just an hour or two so good odds you won’t even be around if you have dinner or evening park plans…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter