A question about buying in...

Swilcox

Mouseketeer
If you are an owner who has bought a resale and you want to add to that by buying direct do you have to buy the full 75 points or will Disney allow you to buy 25-50?

Buying direct you can customize the amount of points you want to purchase, but unless you own 75 total direct points you do not qualify for perks. That minimum for perks could go up to 100, as it did increase from the original 25 required.

And, I believe that you have to buy at least 50 to finance with Disney. Anything less must be cash (or financing other than through Disney)...and you are not limited to multiples of 25. If you wanted to add on 30 or 35, etc. you could!

Is there a good time of year to buy direct? My use year is August. I want to bank the new resort in 2020, to have extra points in 2021. Are maint fees prorated? Are there traditional times that Disney raises prices? Would spring be best?

With an August UY, adding on anytime before July 31st, 2020 will give you 2019 UY points if buying through Disney. Since MFs are based on calendar year, once you get to January 1st, you’ll pay only dues for 2020.

So, if it were me and you don’t need them before your 2020 UY begins, I would buy in the spring and then you can ei5er bank the 2019 points for travel in your 2020 UY or rent/transfer them to get some money back toward your purchase.

Is there a good time of year to buy direct? My use year is August. I want to bank the new resort in 2020, to have extra points in 2021. Are maint fees prorated?

Too bad you didn't ask this a month ago! But yes, as the PP mentioned, you want to buy before July 31st to get the best overall "deal."

Maintenance fees are prorated, but they are for the calendar year, NOT the UY. All dues for 20XX year points are due in January of that same year 20XX, regardless of UY. So, if you have a December UY, you are paying the maintenance fees for points you won't receive for another 11 months (unless you borrow).

Meaning, if you purchased an add-on on 1-July-2020, you will receive both 2019 UY points (bankable as a courtesy) and your full 2020 points one month later. However, you will only have to pay prorated dues on the 2020 points. The maintenance dues for the 2019 points you receive were paid for in January 2019 by whomever owned them throughout that year (Disney, another member, etc), with that accounting/financial cycle already closed. This is how Disney is able to say "free bonus points" -- because you don't have to pay dues on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts