A question about flying with a ticketed infant

KathyK

Mouseketeer
We will be flying to MCO with my 11 mo. DD tomorrow. A friend of mine, who flies frequently for business (sometimes with her son) has told me that she often runs into problems where the airline personnel assume that her son is a lap baby (they try to charge extra for his luggage, count his seat as vacant, etc.).

Since that was her experience, I was thinking about pinning a sign to DD's chest that says "I am a ticketed passenger." However, I thought I'd try to get some feedback from other parents who have flown with under twos and purchased tickets for their children.

So, if you have flown with a child that is young enough to be a lap child, have you found that you constantly have to remind them that your child has a ticket, or is it not as much of a problem as I am making it out to be?

TIA

We've had just the opposite experience. We have traveled numerous times with our DS. He was 6weeks for his first flight and is now 3. Everyone has gone out of their way to be helpful especially with baggage and the stroller. The only thing you want to watch for is that you are not assigned to sit in the emergency exit row. If you are you will have to change seats.

We have always ticketed our children even before the age of two and never had anyone make the assumption that they were not ticketed. I had a few FA's inquire but that's all. Just have all the tickets/boarding passes available and make sure you have the appropriate seats. The CSR (assuming your using one) must be in the window seat and not in an exit row.

TJ

Originally posted by tjmw2727
The CSR (assuming your using one) must be in the window seat and not in an exit row.

TJ

Yep - I went to Expedia and changed all of our seating assignments so that DD will be in her carseat in a window seat and we are definitely not in an exit row.

The original seating assignments had my DH and myself together with my MIL, and then across the aisle was FIL on the aisle and DD in the middle seat. I quickly corrected that (and FIL is so glad I did). I was in the furthest seat from DD. That would make nursing pretty much impossible, should I need to do that on the flight.

My son was 14 months on our last trip and he was ticketed. We got a 50% off infant fair from Usair. When they were counting passengers they would always ask if our son was ticketed or not. No problems at all.

The only thing we heard was when DH was carrying our DS's car seat onto the plane. One of the flight attendants commented that the car seat was too large for a carryon item. The flight attendant was surprised when he said our son was going to sit in it and said the flight was full and there were no empty seats to put the car seat in. When DH told her DS had his own ticket she said that's unusual and they don't encounter that very often. I found that hard to believe!

We have been asked several times, but always found the flight crew helpful in getting situated, and cooperative when we reminded them our DD was a ticketed passenger also. With security what it is, allow yourself plenty of extra time and hands to get through security. Orlando is well versed in working with families and getting them through security effectively, our home airports were not always so efficient. Don't forget to get your gate check tag for the stroller. We pick it up between flights and use it to get from one gate to the other if changing planes. It is helpful to help move carry on items and travel more quickly.

We have flown many times with both our girls (starting from newborns) and have always had a ticket for them..... Never a problem.....

One note.... Not only can you not sit in an exit row, you cant sit in the row in front (and maybe behind) the exit row, if using carseats..... those rows fold down for easy exit.......

And as someone said the carseats do need to be on the window.... but I also found out, when taking the two girls (and two carseats) alone on a flight I had the option of sitting between them.... I was under the impression that one carseat needed to be by the window and the other one next to that one.... with me on the aisle..... the flight attendant told me that since it was only my life at stake, I could wedge myself between the two......

Hi,

I think everyone's covered the rules about putting the carseat next to the window, exit row restrictions etc. I also always bought tickets for my kids when they were less than two and the only person who ever questioned me was a sky cap when counting out luggage (we just can't seem to travel light). When I explained how many tickets we had he just accepted it and went on. A minor thing. I don't think you'll have many problems, just show them the ticket :)

Have a great time.

We bought seats for our girls last year and this year - we never had anyone assume they weren't ticketed. We brought their carseats and strollers right up to the door. I would just go with the flow - as long as you can proe they have tickets, there shouldn't be a problem.

We were on a really full flight back to Chicago from WDW and the FA came over to make sure that we had a ticket for our DD. As soon as I produced it, she was satisfied. Apparently they had oversold the flight and if I didn't have a ticket for my DD they would have made her seat available. As long as you can show the ticket if asked, I don't think you would run into any problems.

We've never had problems, though the FA's have questioned whether DS was ticketed. Just have the ticket available and don't make an issue of it.

BTW (guess it's too late as you're probably already on your way), but be sure your car seat isn't too wide for the aircraft seat. Now, I say that, but it's been 3 years since we last had to use a CRS for DS, and that was a concern. Maybe the CRS's are more standardized than they were "back in the old days?" (things change so fast, don't they -- kids, too. Sigh...)

With flights being so full now, we have been asked on two occassions if DD had a ticket. Both times it was the FA who asked as they were trying to scrounge up seats. One was a bit rude about it and we didn't like her attitude. But no other airport employees questioned it and of course we had all of our tickets.

We flew to Disneyland with our 18 month old son, and DID have problems with the FA not wanting to serve him drinks (there was no food on the flight), etc. I finally had to remind her that our son had a ticket, didn't appreciate being made to feel we were asking for things we weren't entitled to, or her snarky (yes, snarky, even though she denied that) attitude. I know exactly why the KathyK is concerned!!!

We flew to Disneyland with our 18 month old son, and DID have problems with the FA not wanting to serve him drinks (there was no food on the flight), etc. I finally had to remind her that our son had a ticket, didn't appreciate being made to feel we were asking for things we weren't entitled to, or her snarky (yes, snarky, even though she denied that) attitude. I know exactly why KathyK is concerned!!!

Thanks to everyone for all of your tips. Both flights went swimmingly well. DH went at the head of our group, and installed the carseat in the window seat. By the time I was done taking DD out of the stroller and collapsing it, he had pretty much had it in place. The flights we went on were full, but not overbooked (there was a single empty seat on each flight - next to my FIL). No one really questioned whether DD was ticketed or not, but I did have her ticket handy JIC.

Now, I just need to figure out if next year we will fly or drive. Dealing with one carseat and child under 2 was not so bad, but this time next year, we will have two children under two and two carseats/strollers to worry about.

I understand what you mean about driving over flying when you have so many carseats, strollers, diaper bags, etc. to worry about. We've decided to drive our next trip (January, 2003) for that very reason. We have three DDs, 6, 4 and almost 1 1/2, and my DH and I can't conceive or trying to keep everyone happy on the plane, and lugging all of the stuff. We flew to WDW last May when my youngest was about 10 mos. but she's mobile now, and I can't see her sitting still for the flight. The trip in May was okay, but getting to the airport 2 hours early, combined with the double stroller, carseat, luggage, etc. made us decide that we'd try driving next trip. We have a van and a TV/VCR for the kids and it's about a 21 hour drive from Chicago. We figure we'll stop for the night somewhere before the crazy traffic in Atlanta and get to WDW the next evening. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter