A question that isn't asked enough-which stroller to bring?

baybemama

Disney lovin' Mommy
For our past 3 trips we brought the umbrella stroller. After some research on here we followed the advice of getting the Maclaren Triumph. I feel it worked out best at the 1.5-3 years age range but for our 8 month old I'm seriously considering bringing the graco full size. Anyone want to weigh in on the pros and cons?

My pros:
Can't beat that storage basket!
Multiple seat positioning for upright cruising or naptime reclining
Snack tray for quick meal assistance
Cup holders for my multiple cups of nescafe
Won't tip over all the time

Cons:
A lot heavier and bulkier for the bus rides
?

I find a full size stroller to be too much. Too heavy, doesn't fold up that great for buses, big to get around in crowds, pain the the airport, etc.

I love the Maclaren and I think an eight month old would be fine in it. But I like to travel light-everyone has their own preferences.

We had to use double strollers on our previous trips as our kids are close in age. BUT from experience of traveling with a 7 month old, don't take the big stroller. Just don't. The crowds, the stroller parking area, the buses, the monorail, etc etc is not the best place for a heavy stroller. Yes, the ride will be a bit more comfy, and the basket will be bigger. BUT if you stay onsite, have the shops send your purchases to your resort. We use a Skip Hop Diaper bag that attaches to the handles of the stroller and carries a ton, thus freeing up the basket. And overcrowded basket is also inviting to sticky fingers too.

I think a nice, higher end folding stroller like McLaren will be adequate. As long as it is padded, the seats drops, and has a shady umbrella, you will be fine.

We would take the Combi double, and even though for a double it folded small and was comparatively easy to carry, it was a nightmare to bring on busses etc. And we drove to many parks since we don't fly!

I guess I am different because I would bring the graco. We have the twin triumph and I think the sunshade is poor for one complaint. We travel frequently with friends who have the full size graco (we have the graco quattro duo which I wouldn't bring). Their stroller has a much bigger sunshade, a full recline, and of course, that storage. Yes, it is a little bulkier and a little heavier but they have never had issue with it on the bus.

We've done the umbrella stroller and hated it. My mom forced it on us the first time we went saying my then 4 year old would need it. She had been out of a stroller for quite a while, so I didn't think she would need it. Mom was right, but don't tell her I said so. However, it was hard using the umbrella stroller. I can't push heavier things b/c of sciatica, so he ends up pushing, and it was too low so he had to hunch over. Plus every time she stood up, the thing fell over b/c we had to hand stuff on the handles. The wheel even popped off a couple times.

For our 2011 trip my husband just wanted a bigger stroller that was taller. We went full size, and it was wonderful. We stuck my mom with the umbrella stroller, and she finally felt our pain! (Haha, serves her right for taking off with my kids while we struggle with the silly stroller!) Anyway, I got an almost brand new Jeep jogging stroller off Craigslist. It is fantastic. It is much easier to load onto the bus, and is faster too. It fits between my hubby's legs, so it isn't bulky. It has high handles, so no more bending, a huge basket, and cup holders!!! The sunshade is sufficient, and my daughter had plenty of room to chill when she got tired. The wheels have suspension, so if you hit a rock, the wheels sort of rise up on that side and the stroller stays steady. We will use it one more time, and though my daughter can keep up fine, she looks forward to being able to nap a little if needed. For us, the full size is a wonderful blessing, and it was great in the airport too. We plopped all our extra bags, c-paps, auto-pap, nebulizer, cooler, etc... in it and whizzed to where we needed to be. What a great investment for us. Hope you find what works best for you.

I've never traveled with a little one that young, but I have dealt with a full sized graco. They are horrible. Bulky doesn't even begin to describe what ours was like. I couldn't imagine trying to manage a graco at disney, especially on the buses. I hate to add another stroller to the mix but I loved our peg perego aria. I actually sold our graco and used that money towards buying the peg perego used off of craigslist for just a few dollars more than I sold the other one for. The PP aria is as one handed as you get, has almost a full recline seat, the sunshade on the newer models is amazing and there's a full sized basket under neath. Plus there's a tray for the kid and it doesn't tip easily. The only thing missing is a cupholder for the parents but I bought an off brand one at Babies R Us for $10 and it worked great. I had several compliments on how quickly I could fold and unfold the stroller at Disney. I got all of the full sized features I wanted in a stroller that weighs only 9lbs! :thumbsup2 Folding is actually one handed and takes just a few seconds, then you grab the built in carry handle and off you go. When you unfold just reverse the process and it snaps into place and is ready to roll in a few seconds. I could fold and unfold the Peg Pergo while walking on and off the bus. I can't say enough good things about this stroller. I also have never missed having the graco.

Anyway, I got an almost brand new Jeep jogging stroller off Craigslist. It is fantastic. It is much easier to load onto the bus, and is faster too. It fits between my hubby's legs, so it isn't bulky. It has high handles, so no more bending, a huge basket, and cup holders!!! The sunshade is sufficient, and my daughter had plenty of room to chill when she got tired. The wheels have suspension, so if you hit a rock, the wheels sort of rise up on that side and the stroller stays steady.

I absolutely agree on almost all counts here. I've been using Jeep All Terrain Joggers at Disney for 8 years now for both my DD's (starting with a 12 month old) and while I think it is a great stroller for moving around the parks in and for holding stuff, it is a heavy, bulky stroller and not at all easy for getting on the buses. However I found the comfort of the stroller for my little ones and the perks it provided me (cup holders, huge basket, one hand steering, turns on a dime, etc) to out weigh the pain in the butt of getting it on the bus. I actually brought a glorified umbrella stroller in addition to the jogger two years back and after an hour was done and had to go back to the room for my jogger, I hated it.
If you will be more comfy with the bigger stroller and you think it will be more comfy for your little one then bring the graco. I will say earlier this year I bought a City Micro Mini and I love it. I brought it to Disney in Aug/Sept and it worked out wonderfully. It wasn't as good as my Jeep Jogger, but what a breeze it was getting on and off the buses with it and I still had some great perks. Looking forward to using it again in a little over month!
Best of luck and have a great time on your trip!

For our next trip we'll probably rent a double for our kids plus bring my carrier for the baby. Using a carrier for a baby is so much easier then dealing with a stroller. Not sure if your 8 month old is used to one, but that's my suggestion...I wouldn't bring a stroller if I didn't have to.

I've never traveled with a little one that young, but I have dealt with a full sized graco. They are horrible. Bulky doesn't even begin to describe what ours was like. I couldn't imagine trying to manage a graco at disney, especially on the buses. I hate to add another stroller to the mix but I loved our peg perego aria. I actually sold our graco and used that money towards buying the peg perego used off of craigslist for just a few dollars more than I sold the other one for. The PP aria is as one handed as you get, has almost a full recline seat, the sunshade on the newer models is amazing and there's a full sized basket under neath. Plus there's a tray for the kid and it doesn't tip easily. The only thing missing is a cupholder for the parents but I bought an off brand one at Babies R Us for $10 and it worked great. I had several compliments on how quickly I could fold and unfold the stroller at Disney. I got all of the full sized features I wanted in a stroller that weighs only 9lbs! :thumbsup2 Folding is actually one handed and takes just a few seconds, then you grab the built in carry handle and off you go. When you unfold just reverse the process and it snaps into place and is ready to roll in a few seconds. I could fold and unfold the Peg Pergo while walking on and off the bus. I can't say enough good things about this stroller. I also have never missed having the graco.

I might check this out. We are very used to the graco as we had it with our first and I've become such a pro at lifting it into the van and buckling him in. I totally get what you are saying but I just don't know if I want get into the hassle of stroller shopping when we already have 3 strollers and this is most likely our last child. So if I don't know what I'm missing with a new stroller, I won't start hating what I already have ;)

For our next trip we'll probably rent a double for our kids plus bring my carrier for the baby. Using a carrier for a baby is so much easier then dealing with a stroller. Not sure if your 8 month old is used to one, but that's my suggestion...I wouldn't bring a stroller if I didn't have to.

I wish I was a baby-wearer. I have a closet full of slings and wraps that my kids and I could just not get accustomed to. So that won't be an option for us. I might look into renting a double though. The older one is still just 4 and might demand a seat of his own.

We've taken babies for years now and while I have 2 Mac Quests and won't use them for trips with babies that young. Sun shade being my chief complaint. They are just more comfortable in a full size ride and once you're on board for taking a stroller unless it's a BOB Duallie a single stroller footprint isn't that much bigger than another. I will say my go to travel full size stroller is my Bee. Great sun shade, I have a ride on board for older young uns, total recline, awesome basket and it only weighs like 20lbs and folds flat. But I've been at the baby/stroller/WDW game for 6.5 years now and taken about 15 different strollers. Bee is the overall winner. Lots of them for sale used various places.

If you're only going between the 2 take the Graco

I guess I am different because I would bring the graco. We have the twin triumph and I think the sunshade is poor for one complaint. We travel frequently with friends who have the full size graco (we have the graco quattro duo which I wouldn't bring). Their stroller has a much bigger sunshade, a full recline, and of course, that storage. Yes, it is a little bulkier and a little heavier but they have never had issue with it on the bus.

ITA. it may be cumbersome on a bus, but it's so convenient in the parks to have that bigger stroller. I'd go with the Graco.

ITA. it may be cumbersome on a bus, but it's so convenient in the parks to have that bigger stroller. I'd go with the Graco.

I agree. It shouldn't be a big deal on the bus. We toted our Phil and Teds on the buses and many time we were the only ones with a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter