A Quick Six Flags Magic Mountain visit

mich311e

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to give a quick trip report for a recent Magic Mountain visit. I hadn't been since 2015 and had some questions before we left that might help others. We went on May 28th & 29th.

We live in Phoenix and have a Six Flags Hurricane Harbor near us. We bought gold season passes last fall that covered the rest of 2018 and all of 2019. My 14-year-old son and my best friend's 13-year-old son agreed to join me on a trip to Magic Mountain since we all have passes. I used to go to MM at least once a year in my 20's, I'm 43 now :sunny:

My questions before I went were:

Do we need different cards for Magic Mountain? Nope. The non-descript Six Flags card with a barcode on it worked just fine there. They do have fingerprint scanners when you scan your card upon entry. Our waterpark has them, too.

Is parking included? Yep. I was able to scan my gold pass both days and didn't have to pay for parking.

Do meal plans work there? Yep. My son and our friend both have meal passes which we also bought last fall. Amazing deal if you have teenagers and plan on a couple of visits to the Six Flags family of parks. I think we paid $80 for the season. They were able to get a lunch, a snack, and a meal each day we visited. Pay attention to the signs posted regarding the times. I believe lunch is from 11:30 to 3:30 and dinner is from 4:30 to 7:30. And you must get your snack within those times (We tried to get a snack after 7:30 and learned it was too late). They don't have full menu information really posted anywhere. This link helps a little: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/food-and-dining/all-park-restaurants

But I was surprised to see a good variety of options for the meal plan at all the places that accept it. We had Asian food from Chopsix one day and the boys had a nice serving of beef & broccoli, orange chicken, chow mein, and rice. They also had burgers & fries from Johnny Rockets for dinner. They were able to redeem their snack there for a nice sized shake with whip cream and a cherry on top! We didn't eat at Food Etc but it had good looking options like a Greek/Mediterranean counter and a Mexican counter that both accepted the meal plan.

Vegetarian food options - Yes. I didn't eat a lot while I was there but there were many vegetarian options. I had tofu & veggies in a vegetarian sauce with white rice at Chopsix. And I also had a black bean burger & fries at another place. I wish I would have waited and ate at some of the other places. The options in Food Etc. looked really great, there was a vegetarian Greek salad and a vegetarian tostada salad there. And Go Fresh Cafe & Toasted' Wiches both offered meatless "meatball" sandwiches I should have tried.

Snacks could have been used for a scoop of ice cream at Plaza Ice Cream and Shakes, or baklava at Food Etc., churros at a cart, or Dippin Dots.

Without a meal pass, most meals ranged $12-$15.

We also had gold colored 2019 sipper bottles that enabled us to get free soda refills at the participating food counters. (There were plenty of options). They also filled mine with ice water when I asked. I kept our bottles in a plastic grocery bag in my backpack between rides.

They do sell beer at Magic Mountain but you have to stay in the restaurant area you buy it from. I wanted a beer but we didn't want to eat anything so I asked at the Full Throttle Sports Bar. The hostess told me the upstairs is open seating (you can bring food and drink from outside) and I could go to the bar and buy my beer and sit upstairs to drink it. This was a perfect afternoon rest time because the boys were tired and the AC was nice. They have sports on the TVs there.

We had a great time at Magic Mountain. It was the first time my son and our friend rode "thrill rides". We did everything we wanted in 2 days, including some multiple rides. And we went at a very casual, slow pace. We were only there from 4:30 to 8 the first day and 10:30 to 6 the second day. They did say Magic Mountain and the thrill rides tired them out way more than a day at Disneyland, even though we tend to go rope-drop to close at Disneyland.

We loved Twisted Colossus and Full Throttle the most! My son surprisingly liked Tatsu a lot. I think that ones a little scary. We rode X2 and I kinda swore it off 5 years when I went because I hit my head pretty hard on it. I love the ride but again hit my head on the same part again (it's near the end). So I probably won't ride it again. X2 had an hour-long wait. We waited about 20 minutes each time we rode Twisted Collosus and the one time we rode Superman. The rest of the rides were very low waits considering it was still "off season".

If you have any Magic Mountain questions let me know and I'll try to answer. It's definitely a thrill ride park and not much for smaller/younger kids to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!