A quick trip report from HKDL today

sclarked

Earning My Ears
I just got back an hour ago from a day at HKDL - what better way to unwind and reflect than by jotting down a quick trip report.

We’re staying at Explorer’s Lodge in 2 interconnecting rooms - there’s my husband and I, my mum, and our kids (Big is 6 and Little is almost 4). We flew in yesterday afternoon (from Singapore, but we are from Australia) caught the S1 bus to Tung Chung Station, then MTR from there. I know that people say that taxis are the way to go, but I beg to differ - the look on my kids’ faces when the Disneyland train pulled up made it worth hauling our luggage up and down the stairs at Sunny Bay station as the lifts weren’t working.

We had a quick breakfast at Chart Room cafe this morning - I rather like the later park opening (10:30...granted the last Disney park we did, my husband and I waited 1.5 hours outside of WDW Animal Kingdom to get a head start on Pandora, so anything is a relaxing morning compared to that). It gave us time to enjoy our breakfast, wander around the hotel grounds and then up to gather our belongings for the day. We shuttle bussed to the park and were through the security check and in the park by 10am, and quickly in a line for a photo with Chip & Dale (at the choice of my kids).

Shortly after rope drop, we went and grabbed fast passes for Winnie the Pooh, and seeing barely anybody on the ride, we walked on while we were there. Then we flew on Dumbo before heading around to Toy Story land as it opened and walking straight onto Slinky Dog Spin & Parachute Drop (and RCRacer twice for my husband). From there, we wandered the park at a pace that suited both my mum and the Little kid and managed to fit in pretty much all of the rides except for Jungle Cruise (and It’s a Small World as it was closed). Both my kids rode pretty much everything they were allowed to from a height perspective - which meant my 3 year old went on Hyperspace Mountain. Not his favourite ride (And he said he liked Iron Man better), but he’s pretty pleased with himself for going on a “ride for big people”.

We enjoyed lunch at Royal Banquet Hall - kids loves the spaghetti & meatballs, and I was quite taken by the special edition peach soda in the Mickey cup. Kids also loved the popcorn that we munched on during the day parade.

We were given 4 priority passes from our hotel, each for 4 people (2 rooms for 2 nights each) and we didn’t use them at all, as the wait time for everything was under 5 minutes (mostly walk on) at the times we went.

The highlights for Little were the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, the Disneyland Railroad and parades - he is OBSESSED with Lightning McQueen & Cars. His face during the Paint the Night parade was sheer magic. Big Kid really enjoyed the character greetings and Mickey’s Philharmagic, and he was particularly pleased to have met and gotten some photos with Mickey. Highlight for my husband was Mystic Manor (Big kid loved this one too - he, husband and my mum all went straight back on as soon as they got off).

A fabulous day all around - we’re back at Explorer’s for the night...and little do the kids know that we have character breakfast booked at Enchanted Garden tomorrow before we check out!

Last edited:
Did you watch any of the stage shows? (Mickey and the Wondrous Book, Moana's Homecoming Celebration and Festival of the Lion King)

Did you watch any of the stage shows? (Mickey and the Wondrous Book, Moana's Homecoming Celebration and Festival of the Lion King)

We watched Festival of the Lion King. I’ll admit that it was kind of hard to follow - the characters were a bit hard to understand and the switch into Cantonese at times threw my kids a bit. The costumes and dancing were spectacular.

We caught glimpses of Moana’s Homecoming Celebration as we walked past - but my boys aren’t really into Moana that much so we didn’t stick around. We didn’t end up seeing Wondrous Book - I would have liked to, but alas, in a group of 5, we had to make some choices between activities.

Lovely trip report. Did you manage to try the grizzly mountain coaster? Would love to hear how your character breakfast was - how was the interaction? I'm impressed you got the train to Explorers Lodge, I don't think could've face it :)

Lovely trip report. Did you manage to try the grizzly mountain coaster? Would love to hear how your character breakfast was - how was the interaction? I'm impressed you got the train to Explorers Lodge, I don't think could've face it :)

We did do that coaster - my 3 year old was too small, so he went on the Disneyland Railroad with my mum, while the rest of us did it. My husband and I loved it - my 6 year old was fairly white-knuckled throughout it and politely passed on the opportunity to ride it again.

Character breakfast was fantastic! We took the early sitting and arrived right at 7:30, at which point the restaurant was not particularly full at all. It filled up over the next hour. We found the interaction to be superb - on their way in, Mickey came over and just bobbed down beside my son, waiting for him to notice him. Each character came by and had some lovely moments with our kids (hugs, high 5s) before posing for some photos.
31F7B57F-6327-484B-9CBC-CA978CDE8D19.jpeg

We didn’t feel rushed in any way, and the kids were so thrilled that Mickey and his friends came to breakfast. The main reason we opted for Enchanted Garden over the others was that there were more characters - and we used this rationale to save having to queue to meet characters at the park. Having said that, we still lined up to Mickey at the park because the line wasn’t too long and my kids were so excited (and we hadn’t yet told them about character breakfast!)

You're lucky. When I had breakfast there, only Mickey, Minnie and Pluto were there. We were expecting Goofy and Donald to show up but they didn't.

We flew in yesterday afternoon (from Singapore, but we are from Australia) caught the S1 bus to Tung Chung Station, then MTR from there. I know that people say that taxis are the way to go, but I beg to differ - the look on my kids’ faces when the Disneyland train pulled up made it worth hauling our luggage up and down the stairs at Sunny Bay station as the lifts weren’t working.

Just wanted to emphasize for anyone taking advice from this thread: if you want to take the MTR to Disney from the airport, do it this way! Do not take the airport express train to Tsing Yi and then transfer there. The airport express is incredibly expensive, and it makes no sense to take it when going straight to Disney from the airport. If you are going in to the city first, then yes, it is easy, convenient, and may save you money, but not when you go to Disney.

You're lucky. When I had breakfast there, only Mickey, Minnie and Pluto were there. We were expecting Goofy and Donald to show up but they didn't.

Yes we got Mickey, Minnie & Pluto too at breakfast, but did a meet and greet with Goofy after his Tai-Chi session in the foyer.

Nice trip report! We also loved Explorers Lodge, the beds (larger than DL Hotel), and the grounds. We thought the food was very good, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter