A real life “Frozen” adventure. A very chilly dining report, Dec’17-Jan'18 COMPLETED 6/15

We have a Grandma just like yours in our family!! (Though if they use white pepper she eats the meal just fine :rolleyes1) Loving the honest reports!!

We have a Grandma just like yours in our family!! (Though if they use white pepper she eats the meal just fine :rolleyes1) Loving the honest reports!!

So funny. MY Grandmother is "allergic" to black pepper as well. I've seen, with my own eyes, the woman be served a dish with pepper clearly on it and she was fine. Still, every time you sprinkle pepper at the table with her, you have to say "pepper Mamaw" or risk an evil glare. :rolleyes2 (I'm in no way diminishing food allergies, of course. I think my Grandmother just really dislikes overly-peppered food).

Great updates!!! Though it sounds like you had to really use some patience with your Mom (which I know a thing about too). Can't wait to see what else you all have in store

Last edited:

Thanks! I try to tell it like it happened! Traveling with 7, there are sure to be some hiccups!

So funny. MY Grandmother is "allergic" to black pepper as well. I've seen, with my own eyes, the woman be served a dish with pepper clearly on it and she was fine. Still, every time you sprinkle pepper at the table with her, you have to say "pepper Mamaw" or risk an evil glare. :rolleyes2 (I'm in no way diminishing food allergies, of course. I think my Grandmother just really dislikes overly-peppered food).

LOL! You and Babytrees made me laugh! Yes, we have also seen her eat things with pepper if she really wants it. I will say that I know that she does get some “intestinal issues” if there are certain kinds of peppers in her food. But it takes all the eye-rolling restraint we have sometimes. She will ask me what I’m making for dinner and if I say something like chili she will say “Blech! Guess I won’t be coming!”, complete with a disgusted face. As if I would make chili when she’s invited. :scratchin

Great updates!!! Though it sounds like you had to really use some patience with your Mom (which I know a thing about too). Can't wait to see what else you all have in store

Yes, I love her but she can be a bit much sometimes.

Great report so far. You are right, better to be cold at Disney.

Exactly!!!!

LOL! You and Babytrees made me laugh! Yes, we have also seen her eat things with pepper if she really wants it. I will say that I know that she does get some “intestinal issues” if there are certain kinds of peppers in her food. But it takes all the eye-rolling restraint we have sometimes. She will ask me what I’m making for dinner and if I say something like chili she will say “Blech! Guess I won’t be coming!”, complete with a disgusted face. As if I would make chili when she’s invited. :scratchin !

LOL Family... what can you do? :confused3 :laughing:

Chapter 5 - Part 1
Everything's Better with Pooh!

Quick breakfast in the room again and we bundled up to head to MK for an 8am rope drop.

Ux2xt8JiuMUCc809SAix6FWa8ThCnVmKpQWDJwaMtespX92IB.jpg

Before kids, I worked for Nestle Foods in the petfood division. Rebecca loves to wear my old Friskies hat from those days! Any questions about how pet food is really made? Then I'm your girl!

Made it in good time and got lots done before our ADR at 10:40 at Crystal Palace. The park was very empty for the first couple of hours! But it was chilly.

8enLHAA7oL9LdrHn7hchLHTrh4X04wSxTGFxghx-wtIpX92IB.jpg

We rode Space, Buzz, saw Tiana and Rapunzel, rode BTMRR (John and the kids rode twice), Pirates, and visited the Tiki Room all before 10:30am! That's the advantage of rope drop right there! Made it over to Crystal Palace and checked in. They had hot cocoa available outside so we all had some while we waited to be seated. It was creamy and HOT! We were seated shortly after 10:45 and headed to the buffet. The chef came out (the only woman chef of the week!) and gave mom a tour of the buffet and also took her order for another “allergy omelet”. They soon brought her out a humongous plate with a giant veggie and cheese omelet, stack of potatoes, and pile of bacon. She said she asked for a small omelet, but I figured they go large so they don’t have anyone asking for seconds!

sjmn3GOdSeMqzqzOG7unN-HoeqEUI_ze1759d4KZhCcpX92IB.jpg

We ate lots of bacon, Mickey waffles, smoked salmon with capers and onions, steak omelettes, home fries, danishes, breakfast lasagna (basically a pudding/waffle/banana/pancake/berry layer dessert), puffed French toast, etc. Saw Pooh and friends and left fat and happy. I like this buffet for the food as well as the characters and atmosphere. We’ve only done breakfast here but been very happy with it each time.

R7TU0rL87dhKTlbWLEFZdORdOITczOUbABTfNM4IcxMpX92IB.jpg

FBu73rhzABxJ39-nZeSZnD6ZCvoFZVMgHM73XLsGgbApX92IB.jpg

Not sure what Pooh and my mom having going on here? pooh:

Service was OK, it never seems to be great here. I don't know if it's because they get that automatic 18% not matter what with a big party? Coffee and waters were very slow to be refilled, but the waiter was friendly when he was around.

AgfMvRsOKtn48fnyc0fBxRP9WL6v3ITkWQkmXVEmchYpX92IB.jpg

Always with the phones. What did I do as a teenager without one?

We were all properly stuffed with breakfast goodies and I got to use our Tables in Wonderland card for the first time this trip. The bill was $231.17 after the discount of $44.80). Won't take us long to break even!!!

Chapter 5 - Part 2
In Which We Meet Some Paramedics

Do you like my subtle foreshadowing? I'll start with a spoiler and say that everyone ended up OK! So, on with the day!!!

We enjoyed the rest of the morning and early afternoon at MK, used some FP's. Got in line to visit Peter Pan and realized that Natalie must have left her autograph book at Crystal Palace. Peter was kind enough to sign a notecard for Nat and I hustled back to CP to get her book.

93R0LsKzG1F6CiiJ6OtY7pxdIQQHyDA6eVIRh4GL5HApX92IB.jpg

That girl has four layers on, it was still cold!

We had put her name and my cell and our resort inside the front cover but I wanted to get it before they sent it off to be delivered since who knows how long that would take. Thankfully they still had it at the check-in desk! It was was getting crazy crowded by this point so after using our SDMT FP's, we decided to head back to relax at the resort around 2:30. The girls ran over to the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland to get some pretzels (these girls LOVE hot pretzels). I wanted to get the MK mug from Starbucks, so John, Andrew, my mom and I got in the extremely long line at the Bakeshop. We had to wait outside the building for a few minutes but the line moved along pretty well.

qz0SGspBiOm2bBBOw8yUlfqqTqfaoZ-lGk6f_VL4X8cpX92IB.jpg

We all got a coffee, I got my mug and a Whoopie pie for good measure. It was a little pepperminty which I didn't expect but it was very tasty, like a York Peppermint Patty cookie.

-1I8qLxVwrEa6GDf_X-RgMTr7j0G_qzoosnq1Pt8L6gpX92IB.jpg

Some excitement on the way out as my mom was getting a bit aggressive with her scooter. The crowds were heavy as they were getting ready for the parade and it was very slow going down the sidewalk on Main Street. I actually watched my mom swerve a few times into oncoming pedestrians in a pseudo-game of Chicken. I know she was frustrated but there was really nowhere for the oncoming people to go.

gb6BX1iVxII_YGmgPrmGyHx0xrcoY02hIilzBfYL-38pX92IB.jpg

Once we got near the end close to the flagpole area, she gunned it and as I was behind her yelling “CURB! CURB!!!!!”, she launched off it and I watched as the scooter slowly toppled over. She and her latte crashed to the ground.

Jp4bEaHMJUa9Q9AI2tT54APMEWUNcVJRRKMzYAkDRL0pX92IB.jpg

She was more embarrassed than seriously hurt. She did have some pretty good bruising on her right arm and leg where they hit the ground.

XoLsHfA3Vgilt5ZBmDaV3MDesb6gybtjIuSA4dnzjTgpX92IB.jpg

Lots of security, a helpful neurosurgeon bystander, and some paramedics later, she was cleared, scooter was uprighted, coupon for new coffee issued, and we made our way to the bus. The girls were already back at the room by this point, they had gotten to the busstop while we were in Starbucks. Mom was understandably worn out and not in the mood for any kind of company. She holed up in her room the rest of the afternoon to nap. Rebecca was also sleeping as only a teenager can do. Neither of them were able to be roused for dinner, so the rest of us walked up to Artist’s Palette. Andrew and I wanted the Spicy Roastbeef Sandwich, but they were already out of it for the night. So he went with the Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich. No complaints out of him, he said it was his favorite sandwich of the week. He inhaled it so fast that I didn't even get a picture!

Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwich - black Forest ham, gouda cheese with quattro formaggi cheese spread served with house made chips or vegetable slaw $10.49

John and I both went with the Lobster Club. I ate it open faced as the bread was very thick. Good chunks of lobster and the right amount of mayo. Not like one you’d get in Maine, but not too shabby for central Florida! We both had the chips. Saratogas chips are out of this world! So good. Potato chips were apparently invented in Saratoga, NY. I like that Disney uses that fact to explain the chips as a side at SSR!

FCfxzhTsvGuQ6HgYEqh07z2QwFiGiMjGOhcweecvPZopX92IB.jpg

Lobster Club Sandwich - Lobster Salad, Smoked Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Lemon Mayonnaise; comes with house-made chips or vegetable slaw. $13.49

Anabelle went with the Chicken and Spinach Flatbread, minus the chicken. She said there were too many big clumps of spinach but liked it overall. It did look like they used cooked spinach and it was pretty heavy in places.

eGf66zWiBXEXEIvnTr3yFGiPtAVEqg6kdrFLuwOb6BIpX92IB.jpg

Chicken and Spinach Flatbread - Chicken breast, artichoke hearts, and baby spinach with alfredo sauce and cheese $10.99

Nat had the kids’ hot dog. This thing was HUGE! She had carrots and Saratoga chips for her sides.

Hot Dog - with Grapes and Carrot Sticks $5.99

We were able to use our Tables in Wonderland at Artist's Palette which is a great perk of staying at Saratoga Springs! I guess because the Turf Club, their Table Service restaurant, isn't open for lunch? Whatever the reason, it saved us another $11.39!

After the stressful afternoon, John and I decided a drink was in order so I headed over to the Turf Club bar and we both tried something new.

ic3L07J2yQirx_DDuLRltAGxFs6obilHWCj_o_TfQZApX92IB.jpg

Three Minutes to Post Time - Bacardi Raspberry Rum, Blue Curacao, New Amsterdam Gin, Skyy Vodka, sprite, and a Splash of orange juice $9.75

It was nice and fruity, not super strong though. We pretended it was warm and tropical out while we sipped our blue concoctions. TiW saved us another $4.10!

I called my mom to see if she wanted anything and she decided on the Turkey & Brie sandwich after I consulted with the chef. She had to get Lay’s chips since the seasoning on the Saratoga chips wasn’t paprika free. We got it to go and headed back for the night. She said it was very good and she ate the whole thing. I also got another small container of orange juice since some of us wanted a mimosa with the still unopened champagne back in the room. A small Florida’s Natural OJ is $4.29! If I was thinking I would have ordered another kids’ meal for $1.00 more and had a whole meal with the OJ included. Live and learn! The mimosas were tasty, so I guess all was well in the end! Saved another $3.06 with the TiW card.

Turkey & Brie Cheese Sandwich - turkey, Brie Cheese spread, Arugula, and Chambord-Cranberry Mayonnaise; comes with house-made chips or vegetable slaw. $10.49

We had another 8am rope drop in the morning, so we headed to bed!

I had fun catching up! Oh my word, how stressful was the scooter accident with your mom?!? Thank goodness all was ok and just love that there are good samaritans like the visiting neurosurgeon who would take time out of their vacation to help others. I was there over NYE and boy was New Years Day cold and dreary. Seems like you all tackled it with layers and good spirits - good for you!!

Before kids, I worked for Nestle Foods in the petfood division. Rebecca loves to wear my old Friskies hat from those days! Any questions about how pet food is really made? Then I'm your girl!
I'm not sure I'd ever feed my dogs again if I knew :-)

We were all properly stuffed with breakfast goodies and I got to use our Tables in Wonderland card for the first time this trip. The bill was $231.17 after the discount of $44.80). Won't take us long to break even!!!
Looks like you all had a great breakfast and the price tag seems pretty reasonable all thins considered. Can't wait to get our Tables card back this year!

Once we got near the end close to the flagpole area, she gunned it and as I was behind her yelling “CURB! CURB!!!!!”, she launched off it and I watched as the scooter slowly toppled over. She and her latte crashed to the ground.

jp4beahmjua9q9ai2tt54apmewuncvjrrkmzyakdrl0px92ib-jpg.300579
Oh no your poor Mom! Though the sadomasochist in me can't help but laugh at all the coffee and the fact that you took a picture!!!!

fcfxzhtsvguq6hgyeqh07z2qwfigimjgohcweecvpzopx92ib-jpg.300581

Lobster Club Sandwich - Lobster Salad, Smoked Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Lemon Mayonnaise; comes with house-made chips or vegetable slaw. $13.49
Yum! This looks and sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for a good lobster roll and the idea of combining it with bacon sounds awesome!

Loving this report so much.

I did not know that Salmon with Cheesy Grits and Andouille-Corn Succotash was at sunshine seasons! That sounds so good, I want to get it on our trip!

Great report!

Thank you! Welcome!!!!

I had fun catching up! Oh my word, how stressful was the scooter accident with your mom?!? Thank goodness all was ok and just love that there are good samaritans like the visiting neurosurgeon who would take time out of their vacation to help others. I was there over NYE and boy was New Years Day cold and dreary. Seems like you all tackled it with layers and good spirits - good for you!!

It was something, that's for sure. The neurosurgeon was so sweet, he was really concerned that apparently my mom's one leg is longer than the other! We had to explain that she is in need of a hip replacement so is pretty out of whack! If you don't laugh, you'll cry sometimes!

I'm not sure I'd ever feed my dogs again if I knew :-)

Looks like you all had a great breakfast and the price tag seems pretty reasonable all thins considered. Can't wait to get our Tables card back this year!

Oh no your poor Mom! Though the sadomasochist in me can't help but laugh at all the coffee and the fact that you took a picture!!!!

Yum! This looks and sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for a good lobster roll and the idea of combining it with bacon sounds awesome!

Hey, I have to record all for posterity! I forgot to mention that I also apparently stole two ponchos. I thought they were ours and had flipped out of the scooter basket but then later realized that we didn't have any clear ones! Whoops! I gave them to the security guard with my apologies! And just for the record, cat food is WAY more disgusting than dog food in my book. Cats eat gross things. Eww.

Just found your report and am loving it! Following!

Glad to have you along!

Loving this report so much.

I did not know that Salmon with Cheesy Grits and Andouille-Corn Succotash was at sunshine seasons! That sounds so good, I want to get it on our trip!

Happy you are enjoying it! It looked good, although I'm not a fan of salmon unless it is raw in sushi or smoked on a bagel! Andrew certainly enjoyed it! I would be totally down with the cheese grits!

Chapter 6 - Part 1
Better weather! No, not really.......

Wednesday, January 3

This morning was cold and miserable and this was one of those days where the high temp never reached as high as was forecasted. The weather was absolutely abysmal this whole week. I feel like we need a do over based on that alone! Luck of the draw I suppose. Anyhoo, we headed to the bus stop at O’dark-thirty for an 8am rope drop.

_M2AAXrVewdMnRvkOFsouSmrrrsuwlqCWYu7rlvH7xspX92IB.jpg

My mom was being anti-social, she was still upset about her fall.

pB3KhQZkw5_M0CegSjT-WtkPMTYMurVoV3grNIk2TbUpX92IB.jpg

Spent the morning in Pandora, explored Everest, went back in time and then headed over for our 10:10 ADR. They moved the waiting area to the covered part near the Dawa Bar since the weather was pretty nasty. We were a bunch of cold, hungry people!

aSM9ilaxuuIFPUgBZC_RJozIXbeZNqSiP75WJjBPOQopX92IB.jpg

It was obvious people were not clearing out as quick as normal, they kept telling us to move to a certain area but everywhere was wall to wall people. At least we were sharing some body heat!

_kJbl__S9_oSSt7R3ffBMQcR6PnO9W26V_Mz8G6CIT4pX92IB.jpg

We were finally seated around 10:40am. The character rotation was off and we saw Daisy, Goofy, and Donald pretty quickly after our first go round at the buffet (between 11:08-11:19 by the time stamp on my pictures) but had finished breakfast and lunch and paid before we finally saw Mickey at 11:55!

3LsLQUnx58Krb0fxbnPcUfb_A5598iRA-HbIO-xSXIEpX92IB.jpg

As a result of the long wait for Mickey, we ate and ate and ate some more. Our server was not really attentive. We had to ask for refills several times and were never offered the alcohol menu. I would have had something to perk my coffee up but oh well, he lost some extra tip there I suppose. The girls and John all had the Jungle Juice, I’m pretty sure Andrew stuck with Coke and mom and I had coffee.

ltcQKYhHUAq6oFa_bHga3GkSWgJh5GJo2x7xo3KNSPgpX92IB.jpg

My first plate was all breakfast. Eggs, corned beef hash (I love the African spiced hash here!), bacon, Mickey waffles, plantains.

0-i5QqK8y2zXancOtXmtvx2-HKO2BDP6v3oHCpkQqVMpX92IB.jpg

My mom had another “allergy omelet” with spinach and cheese this time. They didn’t bring any sides with it here but she was able to eat several things on the regular buffet.

zgbDxWQTSvB7neyhWV6KZieiT6xiubEc8fW4vRxBKEYpX92IB.jpg

They pretty much totally switched over to lunch while we were waiting so my later plate has rice & pigeon peas, curry chicken (this was my favorite, I think), roasted carrots, spicy shrimp, fried hummus, Indian tofu, and mealie pap.

I wanted something sweet after this plate but the desserts weren’t out yet and they had removed all the breakfast sweets. The normal dessert table had some breakfast leftovers on it and I just didn't want another, long ago cooked waffle.

5ZolRsQ5X1VOqcHl6pjym8wuVW1dwIpUEzQv-AKAjxspX92IB.jpg

Eventually, since we were STILL waiting for Mickey at this point, they did bring out some bread pudding and coconut magic bars which satisfied my sweet tooth nicely. We weren’t too upset about the very long meal since it was still rainy and raw outside, but we had our Flight of Passage FP window staring us in the face so we paid and skedaddled. Total cost $231.17, saved $44.80 with TiW.

At some point after breakfast, the weather killed my umbrella. It was unable to be saved. RIP travel umbrella, you served me well.....

KtfaBHMrun3Ur1bL95a0_de3Md4MaouRNxs7EuC29J4pX92IB.jpg

Last edited:
Great report...sorry to hear about your mom! The crowds around parade times can be so frustrating. We usually scoot through the stores to avoid some of that!

Just started reading your reviews. Your Mum sounds very much like my MIL. She doesn't have allergies but is a picky eater and, consequently, ends up with grilled salmon 90% of the time. I have sworn I will never travel with her again (but that has more to do with her looking at her watch if I dare to order a drink before 5pm lol)

I love your face in the umbrella picture! Can't wait to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts