A real life “Frozen” adventure. A very chilly dining report, Dec’17-Jan'18 COMPLETED 6/15

Chapter 8 - Part One
Will We Ever Be Warm Again (spoiler alert-NO!)

Another day, another rope drop! A tasty, quick breakfast in the room courtesy of the frozen food aisle at Publix.

rpPnpo24cEwxmF7cS20NFLJ5-7VR-JhygZNvWHiisqopX92IB.jpg

A quick check of the weather: will it be nice and warm today? Well, that is a big fat negatory. Time to bundle up and hit the bus stop for our last day at Epcot today.

YhjIh7lESFAz-y0T5ZVyXoX1Upydj8n4NWAi2F7VXnEpX92IB.jpg

Trying not to freeze to death at the busstop.

cWx9XX7l8v9iQkcjgiOCp5CavO1Lln1KojmPV3ZxI4MpX92IB.jpg

XQ5vU-fi5O13eeklHZLGlVwsopMpG-chissgsuJGV2kpX92IB.jpg

My mom decided to go in a separate security line and was on and off Test Track before we even made our cars! The girls had a quick Cheetos snack, because what else would you want to eat at 9:45am? Because there is never enough drama on our trips, you know we had to have an issue with the Cheetos. I had bought a huge bag of little snacks at Sam's before the trip, but apparently all my mom wanted out of it was the Cheetos. Usually she only wants the plain potato chips. Well, she had hoarded all the Cheetos in the basket of her scooter and gave the kids a hard time if they asked for any. Rebecca snuck a bag out after I told her I knew she had several in there. They quickly ate them while my mom was in the rest room and she was none the wiser. I had no idea Cheetos were going to be such a hot commodity or I would have bought a huge box of just them. :rolleyes1

jfga07TtliWZjW6zV-5FXmO6L-9Oj9vAKdj6MfKOdYkpX92IB.jpg

After Mission Space (half orange, half green) we stopped at Starbucks for my Epcot mug and some hot coffee! We needed to defrost a bit. My mom got a breakfast sandwich, (since you know she can't eat anything in the room because she doesn't have time after she takes her meds) and we all had something to drink. My mocha was just meh. Not the best, I think they shorted me a pump of syrup. But it was hot, so I drank it and we moved on! ($54.87, including the mug)

tVO54lIfpRf-14bDStiwOs6st7G-Bgx2qW6cwWvfkywpX92IB.jpg

Spent some time Soarin’ around the world and decided we needed a snack since it was still a few hours until our Biergarten ADR. We got our favorite Mickey pretzels and cheese and headed back to the DVC Lounge for the Freestyle machine and comfy seats. It was way more crowded today. They brought the snack cart around and Cheez-It’s, Doritos and Gummy Bears were chosen.

4lFeCmNPyq-PPRr9rCFQ-axbdxYvySn7VvUFe3VCnLYpX92IB.jpg

J5JX1blWeSSKYrzC_b_v5cghXvG1fRmPRrgvymGDg5ApX92IB.jpg

-i5dTyum_M3fWrY6HzCqKDXJRv0-Rz0SuWG4Z4W3Rb0pX92IB.jpg

Properly sated, we spent sometime with some proper British ladies before making our way to Germany for our Biergarten ADR.

ipISKwFwOuPeZBQ0txJm1W50_3AFF3CjRLG1F74x40EpX92IB.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 8 - Part Two
Time to Get Our Ooompah On!

We checked in at Biergarten and it took a while to be seated since mom wanted to be on the level of the buffet to avoid the steps. In the past this has not been my favorite but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this buffet this time. Maybe it was the ½ liter of Schofferhofer Pink Grapefruit Hefeweizen I had, maybe not. Who can say?

R7uSQNPDA9W6dtcWSoLF1H0_L1SKAHeDVkTVkPR2LropX92IB.jpg

John had the beer flight and my mom went with the Warnsteiner. I pretty much liked liked everything on my plate. How can you not love sausage salad?

n_wiGUFFiyjEmnT80yPsZRWCeua2sn-EzCCIN07c3wgpX92IB.jpg

Natalie was in hot dog heaven! We had a sweet waiter. We had a big discussion about the Walking Dead since he mentioned he was driving up to near us in Georgia the following week and when I asked him why he sheepishly admitted to wanting to do the WD tour in Senoia where they film. It was one of the big reasons he wanted to come work in the US!

reDiILQ0JRb5zkI4s6hIE8Zlfu8qUAHhlPvxs0jF6lEpX92IB.jpg

From the top of the plate, the green beans were cooked well but not too mushy but nothing special. I liked both the sausages and they were delicious with the sauerkraut and roasted potatoes. The pretzel rolls were to die for, I could live off of them. The macaroni, broccoli, sausage, and mushroom salads were all very tasty and fresh.

SasT3OXRBcuiunrtUm45TOQv7aqB94M8kb7VIpBZ5sMpX92IB.jpg

My second plate was just as delicious. I particularly liked the hot potato salad, I make a pretty good version and this was very close to it. The roast pork was moist and very good with the mushroom sauce and spaetzle. The desserts were the weakest part. I tried the Black Forest cake and apple strudel and they were fine but not out of this world. Of course, we were stuffed beyond normal capacity at this point. We paid up and headed back out into the frozen tundra, I mean, sunny Florida. (Total for lunch: $260 after tip and $49.85 TiW discount)

4ChLJ7n-DB3xTDNYrmj-5jKwd0_m2WQ2W9-FFr0QYYopX92IB.jpg

We explored some more of World Showcase, including a very delicious Tipsy Ducks in Love in China for me and John. Anabelle was very upset that they no longer had the frozen mango tea they used to have at the Tea Stand. She had been wanting one all week and was disappointed to be thwarted. Rebecca had the mango bubble tea. ($12.19 for all three drinks) The big kids had enough of Epcot so they headed out after doing a little more shopping on their own on the way out. We stopped at Club Cool. John and I wanted to see if our recent affinity for drinks containing Aperol and Campari would mean that we liked Beverly now. And guess what, we liked it! Still a little too bitter of an aftertaste, but overall enjoyable. Guess it’s time to pack up and move to Italy.

2aSH9kSvgzgVUBe_NlZSwY-GqRsR-YxnfTYmCmPi0gIpX92IB.jpg

Natalie still not a Beverly fan. We warned her but she just HAD to try it! She was happier with the Thai melon flavor. We filled our popcorn bucket on the way to the bus. My mom gave Natalie the bucket and said she was done with it. Popcorn is the one thing that I can eat until I am ill. It doesn’t matter if I am hungry or not, if you put popcorn in front of me I will eat it. So I did. I finished off the last ⅓ of the bucket. We told mom we were going to get off at the Carriage House stop to get something to eat at Artist’s Palette. She had already told the bus driver that she and her scooter were getting off at our normal stop so she decided to just go back to the room. As she was getting off the bus she asked if she could have the rest of the popcorn for her dinner and was quite put out that it was gone. I offered to bring her something back from AP but she declined. Andrew met us at the Carriage House and we ordered. Andrew and I were able to get the roast beef sandwich I wanted earlier in the week. It was good but Andrew and I both thought it would be heated and I think it would have been much better that way. It was a little on the dry side so I got some extra mayo. The Hot Relish was very good, tangy and just the right amount of spice. If it had been heated it may have been the perfect sandwich. We both went with the chips for our side.

ZdfmE1iGTCcpXzjlU-iAzNczPfv5NwRKn1fJn53N3GIpX92IB.jpg

Spicy Italian Beef Sandwich - shaved roast beef atop a sub roll, Provolone cheese, Horseradish Mayonnaise, Arugula, topped with a Hot Relish. Comes with house-made chips or vegetable slaw. $10.59

I also got a flourless chocolate cake out of the dessert case. This tied for the mousse at Halles for the tastiest dessert of the week. It was dense and moist and perfectly bittersweet. Yumm-O!

John went with the Turkey and Brie and gave it a thumbs up.

Turkey & Brie Cheese Sandwich - turkey, Brie Cheese spread, Arugula, and Chambord-Cranberry Mayonnaise; comes with house-made chips or vegetable slaw. $10.49

Nat chose the old stand by of the kids’ chicken nuggets. Her grapes had three nasty moldy ones in the package. I took them back and traded them for carrots and ranch since she had lost her appetite for grapes!

Chicken Nuggets - with Grapes and Carrot Sticks $6.49

SnFWLd580C3nkuuAqV2Raru-u8mCgne9O7KzHufFfEwpX92IB.jpg

You can see my tasty cake in the background. John and I also decided we should get another Smoked Turkey for the long walk back to the room. I asked the bartender how they get the smoke flavor and he showed us the bottle of Monin Hickory Smoke syrup they use. I had no idea! Might have to add a bottle to our bar, it really took the drink up a notch! Properly fortified, we headed back to the room.

h0fOZTFWQe5Pot3Klic_ObYUB35VC_IRTW4xDC62xE4pX92IB.jpg

Artists' Palette $38.90 after $9.13 TiW Discount; Turf Club Bar $24.77 after $4.80 TiW discount

You mom stories are cracking me up. You are a saint. :worship: I don't do well with passive aggressive.

Really excellent report. I'm sorry it was so cold for you all. We were there over Christmas and it was also pretty cold. Starbucks was a fav daily stop for us as well!

I still can't get over the insane cold in Florida! You all truly were troopers.

Biergarten never appealed to me much but your meal - especially the 1/2 liter of Schofferhoffer - makes me want to rethink that. We are going in August with some friends who are very proud of their German heritage so I'm wondering if they would love it. I know my daughter would love the show. And I'm sure I'd love the buffet, as long as I didn't have to go up steps for it :P

This Pepper allergy girl is loving your report!! I've found that Disney has always worked around my pepper issues well. I just tell them upfront...no bell peppers, paprika or pepperflakes. I thought I was the only one in the world with this issue! Sometimes if there's a little paprika on something (or I think there may be) I will pop a kids chewable benadryl and go for it.

Loving your report and your Mom posts...I'm holding out hope that the story ends with Mom having a happy day somewhere in there or maybe a happy few hours!! Can't wait for more!

Loving your report! We were there Dec.30-Jan.8 and were totally feeling your pain when we were there. We got to swim our first night and then the pools were pretty much closed. We are from Canada and wanted to leave all that cold weather behind. The two rainy days were the crappiest, like you said, we can deal with the cold, but add in rain and it just sucks.
Your stories about your mom are cracking me up. Reminds me of my MIL some days. But the passive aggressive boloney is hard to deal with .
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Hi, I just read your report tonight and it is great!!! You sound like you had fun, but your mom sounds like a pistil lol. You do have a great writing style. Some of the places you went are on my next trip list and some aren't. I appreciate all of the pics and reviews. Looking forward too the rest of the report

Just found your report and am really enjoying it. I appreciate all the details. We were there in December too, and it was as cold as it has ever been for me at WDW.

Great review.
Aren't family dynamics great! You've done a great job handling all of that and the kids are total troopers!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for your dining reviews! We were there around the same time in January (January 1-8). We came from SoDak, where it was in the minus teens, so you think we would have appreciated 40's and 50's, but you would be wrong. Plus the humidity and having to stay outside all day makes it feel so much colder than the air temp. We were very put out that we had to pack all our winter gear. But boy did it come in handy. The only silver lining to that cold was that the EMH at the Magic Kingdom mid-week that week (maybe Wednesday? can't remember) was virtually empty. Have not seen EMH like that in a long time, especially during a very crowded time like post-New Years and Marathon. But my kids and I put on all our winter gear and braved it and boy was it worth it. We did pretty much everything in the park between about 8:30-1am and some of the headliners more than a few times. Tired and cold, but we conquered!

Many apologies for my long absence! Life sometimes just gets in they way of my Dis-ing!!!! Natalie plays softball and it is taken SUPER seriously around here. She has been practicing or playing games pretty much M-F. Her team won their league's championship so they go to the city tournament tomorrow! She got a big ole trophy, so she is queen of the world right now! Between ball, Scouts, prom season, spring break, and such I haven't had time to finish up. But I will now!!!!! Thanks to everyone who has been following along!

You mom stories are cracking me up. You are a saint. :worship: I don't do well with passive aggressive.

It gets crazy sometimes, that's for sure. The good thing is that someone has to be expert-level at passive/aggressive behavior for me to be taken in. I'm a pro at dealing with it by now! ;)

Really excellent report. I'm sorry it was so cold for you all. We were there over Christmas and it was also pretty cold. Starbucks was a fav daily stop for us as well!

Weather in central FL is always a crapshoot in Dec/Jan/Feb. We were at Universal the same time frame the year before and wore shorts all week!

Really enjoying your report! Can't wait to see what's next. :)

Thank you!!!

Loving your report! Your attention to detail is excellent!! How so you remember so much?

Thanks! I take brief notes and then use them with the pictures from the day to jog my memory. I actually wrote the whole report in January but have been editing as I post and matching the pictures up.

I still can't get over the insane cold in Florida! You all truly were troopers.

Biergarten never appealed to me much but your meal - especially the 1/2 liter of Schofferhoffer - makes me want to rethink that. We are going in August with some friends who are very proud of their German heritage so I'm wondering if they would love it. I know my daughter would love the show. And I'm sure I'd love the buffet, as long as I didn't have to go up steps for it :P

It is never at the top of my list either, but this time was really good! And the kids do love the show. There is something cool about hoisting a huge beer while chanting "ticky tocky, ticky tocky, hoi hoi hoi" with 100 of your closest friends!

This Pepper allergy girl is loving your report!! I've found that Disney has always worked around my pepper issues well. I just tell them upfront...no bell peppers, paprika or pepperflakes. I thought I was the only one in the world with this issue! Sometimes if there's a little paprika on something (or I think there may be) I will pop a kids chewable benadryl and go for it.

Loving your report and your Mom posts...I'm holding out hope that the story ends with Mom having a happy day somewhere in there or maybe a happy few hours!! Can't wait for more!

Her allergy has definitely gotten worse as she has gotten older. She used to be able to deal with paprika pretty easily but not any more. Disney is usually very good with her and they were this time as well. She did enjoy the trip overall, this one was tough though since she is getting less and less mobile as she ages.

Loving your report! We were there Dec.30-Jan.8 and were totally feeling your pain when we were there. We got to swim our first night and then the pools were pretty much closed. We are from Canada and wanted to leave all that cold weather behind. The two rainy days were the crappiest, like you said, we can deal with the cold, but add in rain and it just sucks.
Your stories about your mom are cracking me up. Reminds me of my MIL some days. But the passive aggressive boloney is hard to deal with .
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

That damp cold is the worst! We lived in Iowa for several years and rarely had the bone chilling damp like we had this trip! My mom is something else, love her but she can be a trial.

Hi, I just read your report tonight and it is great!!! You sound like you had fun, but your mom sounds like a pistil lol. You do have a great writing style. Some of the places you went are on my next trip list and some aren't. I appreciate all of the pics and reviews. Looking forward too the rest of the report

Thank you for following along!

Just found your report and am really enjoying it. I appreciate all the details. We were there in December too, and it was as cold as it has ever been for me at WDW.

Glad you like it! It was a brutal winter by Florida standards!

Great review.
Aren't family dynamics great! You've done a great job handling all of that and the kids are total troopers!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for following along! The kids really are troopers. They vent to each other and that really helps.

Thank you so much for your dining reviews! We were there around the same time in January (January 1-8). We came from SoDak, where it was in the minus teens, so you think we would have appreciated 40's and 50's, but you would be wrong. Plus the humidity and having to stay outside all day makes it feel so much colder than the air temp. We were very put out that we had to pack all our winter gear. But boy did it come in handy. The only silver lining to that cold was that the EMH at the Magic Kingdom mid-week that week (maybe Wednesday? can't remember) was virtually empty. Have not seen EMH like that in a long time, especially during a very crowded time like post-New Years and Marathon. But my kids and I put on all our winter gear and braved it and boy was it worth it. We did pretty much everything in the park between about 8:30-1am and some of the headliners more than a few times. Tired and cold, but we conquered!

Yes, we were using our layering skills! And we also enjoyed the lower morning crowds!

Chapter 9 - Part One
One Last Hurrah in Arendelle

Last day! And the race did us wrong. We were on the bus by 8:10 and it took us almost 90 minutes to get to MK! Poor Natalie and Andrew were beside themselves with last day angst as it was and it was heartbreaking to see them so sad as we sat in traffic.

2018-01-06_09-26-40_444.jpeg

But eventually we made it to the gate and ran to SDMT. Everyone else not on the monorail or boat loop was also delayed so the park was still pretty empty. We were on and off SDMT quickly and hit several more attractions before heading to the Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen for lunch.

h8vhZHancAF9kc0R9vInm5KOuUrWAFXXXnEN3XmSVtMpX92IB.jpg

We really enjoyed this meal. Even though we didn’t get any bread service and even though our server limited herself to one pun. I ordered a sangria, John had a Blue Moon. Natalie had the Melon Fanta from Thailand. She liked this much better than the watermelon Sprite she had at the Nomad Lounge. Rebecca had the Punch Line Punch, without the spiced rim.

OqL3Sbl95GBw3cekl_XpS4vp93Wr-TOIgNOpS6gQMoIpX92IB.jpg
h4rSuevk4APddJ4RjR8IZbseN2M8GYAnltyxOrLdNwQpX92IB.jpg

Punch Line Punch-Tropical Fruit Juices and Mango Purée. Also available with a savory spiced-rim for an extra zinger! $4.50

My mom was initially put out looking at the menu since so much involves spice here. But the chef came out and basically told her he would make her whatever she wanted. She settled on the sustainable fish which was yellow snapper this day. She said it was the best meal she had all week, it was very light and healthy tasting. The chef made it without the peppers, obviously.

IXrZXUFEmaGo741CmYFZxpOZvRAOpjuigwaMYDgK56EpX92IB.jpg

Sustainable Fish - "Not Piranha," served over Chinese broccoli, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and red bell peppers in a fragrant lemon grass broth $29

We had Falafel for an appetizer, these were quickly devoured. A good, basic falafel. The tomato-cucumber salad was crisp and fresh, I ate most of it since the kids were more interested in the falafel.

CO-ZEbX1ouThquILSLGFM3Ew_KQO2dajaVxM6rBZrZwpX92IB.jpg

Falls Family Falafel - A secret recipe of chickpeas, garlic, onions, lemon juice and herbs with white bean dip and tomato-cucumber salad $9

For my lunch, I went with the hot and sour soup and Cachapas. The soup was spicy, really spicy. Like get it into your mouth without touching your lips hot. It was very good but I’m really surprised Disney has something so spicy, I have not encountered a similar level of spicy anywhere else on property (other than Anabelle's noodles, further in this entry). The Cachapas were also very good. The pork was tangy and very vinegary which offset the pancakes and avocado cream very well. Rebecca ate about half of it, but there was plenty to go around.

2W9e7-47tmxzGCIlThIvqnp82Pgi8Pmw5Lt9w9PvhAwpX92IB.jpg

Orinoco Ida's Cachapas - house made corn pancakes, mojo-braised pork, black bean salad, and avocado cream $10

fV2pubRFkJBEVgGU12nKRs04M02Nuok5BWVn72kqgXEpX92IB.jpg

Ginger's "Croc" of Hot-and-Sour Soup - Flavored with ginger (not the crocodile), garlic, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar, fished with fresh egg, tofu, and wood ear mushrooms $8

John, Andrew, and Rebecca all had the chicken. I shared some of Rebecca’s and thought it was pretty good. The chicken wasn’t anything special but the chili glaze on top really made it better. The rice was delicious, I could easily have eaten a whole plate of it.

o0xU28yzPxnndLTf0siTD1ZIUBMN33KnPs_lRZViarMpX92IB.jpg

“Tastes Like Chicken" Because it is! - crispy fried chicken with citrus and ginger-scented rice, chili glaze and seasonal vegetables $23

Anabelle went with the noodles even though she is not a super fan of spicy food. She didn’t want the whole fish and the fish special didn’t appeal to her. She asked if she could get double tofu in place of the chicken and the server said they could do that but it would cost an additional $4.95. We were a bit dumbfounded by this since a pound of tofu is less than $2 and she wasn’t getting any chicken. She decided to just get it with no chicken and hope for the best. There was still plenty of tofu and the serving of noodles was enormous. It was VERY spicy. I am really amazed she ate so much of it. College has done wonders for her tolerance level! She shared with all who wanted some and still left a ton of noodles on the plate.

OT9asNNxzSnle1C5Bmc_okMQGtIpmYJRHJaSRAHZ4XgpX92IB.jpg

Perkins Thai Noodles
Chicken, Tofu, Seasonal Vegetables, and Rice Noodles tossed in a Spicy Soy-Chili-Garlic Sauce. A favorite of our friend Pamelia Perkins, President of the Adventurers Club $22.

Chapter 9 - Part Two
Dessert not very Adventurous

Natalie went with the kids mac-n-cheese. She enjoyed it, it was very cheesy. Looked like the typical "Stouffers" style they serve at most table service places. She ate a few bites of broccoli under duress.

fkqPSSCcBuUMmBsAkd2tDIhulQ-5Ckh_K_frovHTgpspX92IB.jpg

Junior Skip's Mac-n-Cheese - Classic Macaroni and Cheese served with broccoli $10

I had saved room for dessert because I wanted to try the Kungaloosh! This sounded like the perfect dessert. I had high, high expectations. Sadly, I thought this was OK. The cake was bland, the banana was ok but a very small tidbit. The ice cream was tasty, probably the best part of the dish. Not what I was hoping for.

Ap4XddcQDWxtH_0sX8CkQuJ71TYQ5d__XND_weSs_GYpX92IB.jpg

Kungaloosh!
An African-inspired Chocolate Cake with Caramelized Bananas and Cashew-Caramel Ice Cream topped with Coffee Dust $8.00

John was intrigued by the chiffon cake. He said it was good but was surprised at its minuscule size. The sorbet on top was about the size of a ping pong ball.

3FcfNxnsJplMA4BurTk_cc4wUeOSkh2o0yfCu28FeOspX92IB.jpg

Bertha's Banh Bong Lan Cake with Mango-Lime Sorbet
Vanilla Chiffon Cake soaked with Lemon Grass-Ginger Syrup $8.00

Overall we all enjoyed the ambiance and the food. We would skip the desserts next time and ask if the bread was available. Maybe it’s just for dinner?

Total after $41.40 TiW discount: $213.61

The park was much busier after lunch. We got some things done. Mom refilled our popcorn bucket. We did some more things. Around 3:30, Anabelle decided she needed her final LaFou’s brew of the trip.

bNTo3BpiytJQvrsltOVpyfUPUtCux7jlgK-HC2-wMmkpX92IB.jpg

DMOFmaTqF5_n6URjuwHqeHdwchvpgWD-kY8_Id-UwFUpX92IB.jpg

We hit Gastons then walked over to the Lunching Pad for pretzels (are you shocked?). Anabelle had the standard Mickey pretzel with cheese and the rest of us shared some pepper jack filled pretzels (except my mom, of course).

eLGaAfF6vADmh70n0uHFfFyEdZXm_0U-ZUeOVguK5qEpX92IB.jpg EqXjwLgj-_k46neI59jCXJwRJcHXfpJXcNqFwG9ac7EpX92IB.jpg

All topped off, we did some more things.

Oo_fCsMRsQBw5YZedHPYlBetjqWkNeoz0VFn7tE-HT8pX92IB.jpg

As an example of how busy the park was, Hall of President’s was a full house! Crazy!

Proof that my mom actually did smile at least once on the trip!

LZQHkYMRY6-pX6rZ8g33cqeKh_wgO11OcZ8z9MdaXEspX92IB.jpg

Chapter 9 - Part Three
We Put the Service to the Test

Before we knew it, it was time to check in at Be Our Guest. The line to check in was crazy long, as it always is. I checked us in about 10 minutes after our ADR time, even though I was in line in plenty of time. No problem though.

bC_v55tckb_T2vRfZsy1VxmJNPHxvFF0oLfEHYD1JcApX92IB.jpg

We were seated almost immediately in the ball room, pretty much the first table as you walk in. We ordered drinks, John and I had the Pinot Gris and mom had a sparkling white of some kind. After ordering, she changed places with John since she kept complaining about people hitting her chair as they walked by. She counted out loud each time and after 4, I saw her scoot her chair back so she was pretty much in the middle of the aisle. This is when John switched with her. After dinner he quietly reported to me that not a single person had bumped his chair. Anyhoo, the chef came out as per usual and mom decided on the mussels for her main course. The chef said he would cook them in white wine, salt and pepper. Mom asked if they could add garlic and he said they could. She asked if they had fries but then said she didn’t want any because she didn’t think steak fries went with mussels. The chef said he would make her some special shoe string fries. The bread service was simple but delicious, nice crusty sourdough rolls. Warm and served with the typical salted butter. These were a million times better than the rolls at the Turf Club.

The girls both had the Lobster Bisque. They shared with the rest of the table as it was a nice portion. Very, very rich with a good amount of shredded lobster on top. Andrew had the mussels as an appetizer. He ate a good portion of them before his steak arrived.

c0h6KgwgtwrunGJIuPYpb3r6D-72VS_v0_b8gR0j-lUpX92IB.jpg

sX9A6okaO9LDtsSefcXZ8vhfK-So4YuygE7ax4jiXe0pX92IB.jpg

Marseilles-Style Mussels - steamed in a smoked tomato and saffron broth served with a garlic crostini $15

Lobster Bisque
served with Crème Fraîche $11

Rebecca had the mussels as her entrée as did Natalie. As you can tell, most of my kids love mussels. Anabelle does not, not surprising as she is the pickiest of the bunch. I really don’t care for them. I keep trying them but they are just not my favorite. I like clams and shrimp, adore scallops, can take or leave oysters (prefer them cooked, but will eat them raw), but mussels just don’t do it for me. More for everyone else I suppose!

Pet peeve for the evening, when Natalie ordered the waiter asked her if she wanted French fries with her mussels and she said sure. Well, they charged me $4 for the little thing of fries she got. I’m of the opinion that if you offer a child, who is not sitting next to an adult, something extra you should first clear it with the parent. I didn’t make a deal out of it, it was only $4 but it still bothered me.

Andrew and I both ordered the grilled strip steak, medium rare. I prefer my steaks Pittsburg style but figured that was pushing the envelope here so just went with medium rare. John and Anabelle both got the sautéed shrimp and scallops. Anabelle doesn’t like scallops so made a deal with me to give me her scallops if I would share some of my fries with her. You don’t get an amazing deal like that every day! Meals arrived pretty timely with the chef hand delivering my mom’s shoestring potatoes. Everyone dug in.

ecoM532IIC7a86FJXIB5m4G2uhzNGmGO_pJC_bZqW1EpX92IB.jpg

Grilled Strip Steak - with garlic-herb butter and pommes frites $35

The steak was good, I pretty much ate the whole thing along with the three scallops from Anabelle. Luckily I love green beans since that seems to be the Disney veggie of choice these days. They were cooked past al Dente but not mushy so that was good.

John and Anabelle had a nice portion of pasta with the shrimp and scallops, they said it was good even if the lobster wasn’t very plentiful. The pasta was nice thick pappardelle which held the sauce nicely. Mom enjoyed her mussels and fries, they also made her special crostini with it.

jtjofJrdo0ATIxNoVo2KR9eccUDcxkIrbU-s6JgYX7IpX92IB.jpg

Sauteed Shrimp and Scallops - with lobster, mushrooms, and seasonal vegetables in a creamy lobster sauce $29

Everyone enjoyed the mussels but I noticed Natalie was having a hard time with some of hers. She said a bunch of them were hard to open. I went over to look and over half her mussels were closed or almost closed! That is a total No-Go. I am surprised they even let her bowl out of the kitchen. I’m good with one or two closed in a bowl but I pulled out 10 before I decided that was enough. Fortunately, Andrew and Rebecca still had several left to share with her. Theirs and my mom’s were all good. Our waiter had been scarce but the chef came back out to check on my mom’s meal and we showed him Natalie’s bowl. He immediately apologized and took it away and said he would have it removed from the bill. He asked if she would like anything else but she really was full by that point. Our waiter finally reappeared and said he had taken it off the check.

jUrCUQOK3kHVdWAl5itaz5yUYETI6Ki-uJFlgZcRhPQpX92IB.jpg

Natalie wanted to try the Grey Stuff, John had an orange scented éclair and I split a chocolate cream puff with my mom. The Grey Stuff is pretty good, but I liked the old iteration better. Natalie loved it though. She didn’t eat the cookie crust, but took care of the rest of it in quick order! I tasted the crust and it really wasn’t very sweet, I don’t blame her for leaving it behind! John was pleased with the éclair, they are one of his favorite desserts. The cream puff was ok, they are not my favorite but my mom really wanted to share and sometimes you just have to take one for the team! The pastry was light and not too chewy, the chocolate filling was very lightly sweet.

Wxn8shAnTP32P-CsK4_u3-2v894tw2-QrSzztUx2eyopX92IB.jpg YEJKDNx8aUhjASkllo7Y-F8T9q9eNVZQXqvYNDXnHBopX92IB.jpg

Q8qz5TwOr6qAGZ_LEdOrXjYRPEtKyzjFSmpAc0LyIvYpX92IB.jpg

The kids went to visit the Beast, we could see them from the table. We were in the process of paying and thought it was getting close to the Beast’s break so we sent them over since we were ready to get up and go!

EkE1zMaz9kWeTeTQ_5ugkhlt_drqAx2FW3xqZ4pGiEYpX92IB.jpg

After our $49.90 TiW discount, dinner came to $257.48

Overall, I really like Be Our Guest. I'll be interested to see what the rumored new menu changes. Just about to the end of our trip. I'll post the last little odds and ends soon. Thanks to everyone for being patient!!!!

Glad to see you all got some good meals on your last day. Though the crowds and busses sound awful.

We're huge fans of Skippers, especially the apps, so good to hear you enjoyed them. I had the hot and sour soup one time, though don't recall it being that hot. We did love your dessert, though yours looks different than I remember so maybe they mixed something up.

Glad your Mom also got some decent food without too much complain. The BOG chef especially seemed to go out of his way. I'm sure she appreciated that :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!