A Resale Question

udnylad

Mouseketeer
Folks

We are thinking about purchasing points by buying a resale. Can you advise where and from whom did you purchase, what charges you incurred and any other info you think we should know before jumping in?

Morven

I haven't bought a resale, so this is all from what I've read, not what I've experienced personally!

I gather that the main differences between buying from DVC and buying a resale are the price per point you have to pay (obviously) and the closing costs on the contract. The other deciding factor may be the state of the reasle contract regarding banked / useable / borrowed points, but this should be reflected in the price per point being asked.

The Timeshare Store is a site sponsor, so you can link directly to them from the US DVC forum, and if you do a search I'm sure you'll find plenty of other brokers mentioned on those boards.

From my understanding of it, the closing costs are around $400 - 500 regardless of the size of the contract, making smaller contracts more expensive per point once you take that into the equation. Some posters on the US DVC forum have reported getting those costs paid by the vendor, and it seems 'normal' to haggle over the asking price (I suppose in the same way that we might offer less than the asking price for a property here).

When I first started looking into DVC seriously, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to pay full price through DVC for the same product and with the same ending date of 2042 as a cheaper resale, but guess how I bought in the end? Yes, from DVC :rolleyes:. At the end of the day, I felt more comfortable handing over such a large committment to a known company like Disney than to a resale agent in a country where I am unfamiliar with the legal processes. But that's just me being naturally very cautious!

My best advice would be to read the US DVC boards for a while (if you haven't already done so) - there are many threads with information about buying resales, but obviously mainly from a US perspective.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

Hi
Not checked the boards for a couple of weeks
I bought a OKW resale last Summer
If you still want some information/specifics then PM me

Chris

We bought 200 points at BWV in January this year through Jaki Apetz at "A Timeshare Broker" who was really excellent.
The closing costs were $500 plus another $40 to expedite transfers plus $800 for the 2002 dues. The contract came with 155 banked 2001 points as well on which we did not pay dues.
We are going "home" at the end of July but, because our transaction did not close until the middle of February, we could not get all of the reservation at the BWV so, instead, are trying the OKW.
If we can help further just ask.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!