A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

I have not seen any DL DAS reports (would love to read some if anyone has any to share). I have seen the wait times for some experiences that are not Smugglers Run pushing the threshold to what my son could wait (build your own lightsaber, etc). Makes me very worried about how WDW plans to handle this.
Merchandise things may not be something you could do if waits are not an option unfortunately. It does seem though with the Saber experience that you pay in advance and then depending on the wait they give you a time to come back. Droids is strictly a line though.

You don't have to allow every single on-site guest into SWGE each and every day. At DLR, you get one reservation for SWGE during your stay. So WDW might be able to juggle their on-site guests that way.
As someone who is coming thousands of miles for trips we can only do once every 3-4 years, I desperately want some sort of guarantee that my family can get into the land--and not by standing in a physical line for hours with bored, cranky kids with their mom who hates the sun and heat also miserable.
The tiered FPs are already making me decide that OK, we will do Slinky or MM, but not both in one day to avoid spending our precious, rare vacation time in lines.
I am sad at having missed the opportunity at DLR, because it doesn't sound like anything as civilized is happening at WDW, unless enough people are scared off or the extra hours help meet demand. If I were going this fall, for sure my family would be the type to try to rope drop for 6am and then probably leave at noon, having been awake for 8-9 hours already. So that could be a boon for people who can't/won't arrive until later.
Great Post.

I agree, just because WDW has more on-site hotel guests, it doesn’t mean they all get guaranteed entry into GE. A first come first serve, thought out and controlled reservation system is best for everyone, even if those who end up disappointed don’t agree.

When you consider the way GE attractions are designed (small and intimate), their hands are kind of forced to implement something. Otherwise, hours and hours long waits for literally everything.

As one poster allied to, timed Magic Band entry into GE. 4 hour max, and keep the capacity at a manageable level like Disneyland did.

If we miss out being able to go this time because we can’t secure entry, so be it, we can go next time. I fear many people feel like they are entitled to visit GE, regardless of when they visit. 88 million visitors per year tells me that is unrealistic, if you do the math.

Walt Disney World has never seen anything like this before, so must prepare for the worst. No comparison can be made to Universal/Harry Potter, Galaxy’s Edge will be much busier. There’s Disney fans AND Star Wars fans.

If it is a free for all......yikes!

WDW is too big and has too many visitors. If you did a reservation system you likely would be locking off a good portion of people. It has to be a rolling max capacity where if 10 people leave 10 people go in.

30,000 rooms 2 to 3 people on average per room means 60k to 90k people are just on site.

and if they don't go a virtual cue system the same amount of people will be locked out anyway. i feel the cue just keeps people from forming a huge huge line waiting to get in. no reason to wait in a line if you have a cue system setup. it thins people out.

it makes sense in my head at least.

and if they don't go a virtual cue system the same amount of people will be locked out anyway. i feel the cue just keeps people from forming a huge huge line waiting to get in. no reason to wait in a line if you have a cue system setup. it thins people out.

it makes sense in my head at least.

A queue is completely different than a reservation service. With a queue its formed then and there on the spot (if this is made digital great). On the flip side a reservation is something done prior to getting to the parks at some predetermined time (which is what I was saying I didn't see how it could work).

I think the big drawback to the reservation system is like the post I read yesterday about the family traveling from Australia who missed their chance to register at Disneyland. Now they are shutout from having a chance to see it regardless of how long they would have waited.

Great Post.

I agree, just because WDW has more on-site hotel guests, it doesn’t mean they all get guaranteed entry into GE. A first come first serve, thought out and controlled reservation system is best for everyone, even if those who end up disappointed don’t agree.

When you consider the way GE attractions are designed (small and intimate), their hands are kind of forced to implement something. Otherwise, hours and hours long waits for literally everything.

As one poster allied to, timed Magic Band entry into GE. 4 hour max, and keep the capacity at a manageable level like Disneyland did.

If we miss out being able to go this time because we can’t secure entry, so be it, we can go next time. I fear many people feel like they are entitled to visit GE, regardless of when they visit. 88 million visitors per year tells me that is unrealistic, if you do the math.

Walt Disney World has never seen anything like this before, so must prepare for the worst. No comparison can be made to Universal/Harry Potter, Galaxy’s Edge will be much busier. There’s Disney fans AND Star Wars fans.

If it is a free for all......yikes!

Yeah, there is now way they could do the SAME reservation system as DLR did - that with guaranteeing a slot for onsite guests during their stay - the math just doesn't work

You could do a version where you are not guaranteed a slot - but good luck to the CMs that have to tell someone who booked a room that sorry, you can't get in ever during your stay

I think the extra, extra magic hours are the main way they will handle it and eventually I am sure there will be hard ticket events for people to guarantee time with lower crowds (at a cost of course)

I think they need to do something. Leaving it as a complete free for all seems like a bad idea for everyone.

I think they can implement a reservation system if they want. It does not need to be exactly the same to still be effective. They do not need to guarantee a reservation for every on site guest. They have already said there is no guarantee of entrance. I would sooner know ahead of time I can’t get in vs waiting in line all day and still not getting in.

The capacity of the land is what it is. It does not matter how many hotels there are. They are only going to let X number of people in. Obviously they can adjust how many people they let in as time comes on. I assume they are not going to max out capacity on opening day. Someone somewhere has a number on how many people they want in the land. Having a reservation system makes this much easier to control.

I am definitely curious to see how the virtual queue at DL works. Do you need to be inside the park to get in the queue? Or at WDW could you be in Epcot and request your place in line?

I think they need to do something. Leaving it as a complete free for all seems like a bad idea for everyone.

I think they can implement a reservation system if they want. It does not need to be exactly the same to still be effective. They do not need to guarantee a reservation for every on site guest. They have already said there is no guarantee of entrance. I would sooner know ahead of time I can’t get in vs waiting in line all day and still not getting in.

The capacity of the land is what it is. It does not matter how many hotels there are. They are only going to let X number of people in. Obviously they can adjust how many people they let in as time comes on. I assume they are not going to max out capacity on opening day. Someone somewhere has a number on how many people they want in the land. Having a reservation system makes this much easier to control.

I am definitely curious to see how the virtual queue at DL works. Do you need to be inside the park to get in the queue? Or at WDW could you be in Epcot and request your place in line?

100% Agree!

As you indicated, regardless of the number of WDW hotels, there can only be a certain number of people allowed inside at once.

A big misconception is that just because someone has a WDW hotel reservation, they are automatically entitled to enter Galaxy's Edge (like Disneyland). The math alone should be all that is needed for analysis to show this is unrealistic!

First come first serve reservation system, with a time limit, synced to the MagicBand (for purchases and attractions), in addition to some kind of wristband system like WDW does at the Halloween & Christmas parties.

I am expecting WDW/HS to sell 3-4hr SWGE only AM & PM passes just about every day for a long time....a long time.

Still debating if a reservation system for the cantina would be good or bad. Maybe a FP+? I dont know this is so unique that its hard to pick a system without just seeing how DL works once the reservation system is done.

Seriously though without the reservation time limit there will be people who do not leave AND are spending a minimum amount of money...and WDW wont want that.

Let me say first, I am NOT passing judgment on anyone who is concerned about what will happen at WDW - I know intent can be misread on the boards, so I want to make that clear :)

For me, a semi-local to WDW and regular visitor for nearly 30 years, I'm honestly not worried at all. Admittedly, part of that stems from knowing SWGE will be there for many years to come, so if I can't get in one day, there are many other days to try simply because I'm a 2-hour drive away. I'm also not worried because WDW has historically managed crowds pretty well: Star Wars Weekends, Super Soap Weekends, new rides, Pandora... Will GE crowds far surpass anything else WDW's seen? Maybe. I'm genuinely not convinced that will be the case, but I'm willing to accept it might be. But having seen the openings of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, and feeling certain that WDW studies those openings closely, I think Disney will be prepared to handle it.

I don't think they "have" to do anything beyond basic crowd control. They'll probably choose to do something like a virtual queue, because why not have ppl waiting be out and about spending $$ instead of wilting in the summer sun?! I truly do not foresee anything resembling an unsafe "free for all."

I'm still planning to be there opening day. If WDW does go the route of reservations, I guess I'll cancel, as I'm not willing to pay for an onsite room. As a Floridian on a budget, I'm really happy that the first few days aren't (as far as we know now) going to be limited to onsite guests. It's nice to feel welcome and included in the festivities as equals, if only for a few days.

I am still waiting to see how they are going to limit the need to stand in line for those with DAS. My son is autistic and LOVES Star Wars. It's the most important part of his world right now but I cannot even consider taking him until WDW has some sort of plan announced about DAS besides they had considered those needs.
Same here. I'm braving opening day by myself: my ASD son wants NO part of that lol! I have an onsite reservation for Oct. to either take advantage of EEMHs, if I can convince him to get up that early, or hit SWGE late in the evening. I've seen reports from DLR that they are using DAS for Smuggler's Run and using the FP line as the DAS return. But with the reservation system in place, there's no need for DAS to get into GE yet - we'll have to wait until the reservation period ends to see what they do then.

Same here. I'm braving opening day by myself: my ASD son wants NO part of that lol! I have an onsite reservation for Oct. to either take advantage of EEMHs, if I can convince him to get up that early, or hit SWGE late in the evening. I've seen reports from DLR that they are using DAS for Smuggler's Run and using the FP line as the DAS return. But with the reservation system in place, there's no need for DAS to get into GE yet - we'll have to wait until the reservation period ends to see what they do then.
I've never used the DAS system and I'm not fully familiar with how it works, nut having a virtual queue in place wouldn't that be the same as the DAS? You're in the park, want to enter SWGE find it full, you check on the virtual queue and get "in line" to enter in 5 hours...come back 5 hours later and you go in...isn't that how it works

Still debating if a reservation system for the cantina would be good or bad. Maybe a FP+? I dont know this is so unique that its hard to pick a system without just seeing how DL works once the reservation system is done.

Seriously though without the reservation time limit there will be people who do not leave AND are spending a minimum amount of money...and WDW wont want that.
they could do regular ADR and control the amount of time, the waiters could do that, write the time they take their order and give each party 45min to enjoy the Cantina. Maybe leave some empty spaces for walk ups

I've never used the DAS system and I'm not fully familiar with how it works, nut having a virtual queue in place wouldn't that be the same as the DAS? You're in the park, want to enter SWGE find it full, you check on the virtual queue and get "in line" to enter in 5 hours...come back 5 hours later and you go in...isn't that how it works
Yep, DAS is exactly like a virtual queue! So I'm kind of assuming DLR will use the virtual queue to get into GE for everyone, and then have DAS available for SR... but it's possible they may opt to have a stand outside of GE to issue SR DAS and whatever return time that gives would also be the return time at which the holder could enter GE - like how FPs allowed entrance into Pandora when it was at capacity. There's been some speculation they may go that direction, but nothing at all confirmed that I've seen.

A virtual queue is still going to create a massive "line around the block" which Disney is going to want to avoid.

Something else is coming. It won't be exactly what DL does, but it won't be nothing. Disney is not going to waste the positive press they've gotten so far on a bad opening at HS.

Perhaps they could do one reservation time into GE per hotel stay, like Disneyland is doing, but require a minimum stay length to avoid people booking a single night just for a reservation. Say they require a 6 night stay to received a GE reservation, that would spread out the reservations. They could also expand park hours to accommodate more time slots per day than just 4.

Perhaps they could do one reservation time into GE per hotel stay, like Disneyland is doing, but require a minimum stay length to avoid people booking a single night just for a reservation. Say they require a 6 night stay to received a GE reservation, that would spread out the reservations. They could also expand park hours to accommodate more time slots per day than just 4.
I can't see them doing that. If they did reservations it would have to be a "book a time" type thing like DL did for non-hotel guests.

A virtual queue is still going to create a massive "line around the block" which Disney is going to want to avoid.

Something else is coming. It won't be exactly what DL does, but it won't be nothing. Disney is not going to waste the positive press they've gotten so far on a bad opening at HS.
I don't think a virtual queue would be bad press. Disney in promotional material is stressing that capacity is limited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!