A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

Unfortunately, a harsh reality, that it seems many people are having a hard time digesting/understanding is the following: Just because you have booked a trip to WDW after August 29 does not mean you are entitled to gaining access to SWGE.

I'm not sure how many people feel this way. I've seen a lot of questions from people planning to visit asking if they'll be able to get in GE, usually from people who had already booked trips at this point and weren't necessarily planning for GE to be open at the time (guessing this is mostly families who have to plan vacations far in advance). Others are debating putting off their trips until later, when the crowds will hopefully be lighter. I'm personally avoiding GE on both coasts until I see how this works and I'll visit once things get more settled. If they decide they have to install a new reservation system to get things to a reasonable level, then fine.

(As an aside, if anyone I know asked me for recommendations on this, I would say wait until it looks like things are slowing down, but if you REALLY want to go earlier, then prepare for the worst and plan appropriately)

Again, and I guess I'm going to have to repeat this several times over the next two months... there's literally nothing we can do about this right now. We're going to find out a bit about how bad things get once the DL reservation period ends, and it might get bad enough that Disney decides that it's worth bringing back the reservation system. And yes, you will run the risk of not getting in if things are that crazy (this might even happen on Monday, when we'll have real evidence of whether the system works or not). But you have to make a decision based on their plans: go when it opens to all or soon after and deal with the risks associated with that, or wait until things slow down. Right now, we're stuck until we see how this works in practice.

We're going to find out a bit about how bad things get once the DL reservation period ends, and it might get bad enough that Disney decides that it's worth bringing back the reservation system. And yes, you will run the risk of not getting in if things are that crazy (this might even happen on Monday, when we'll have real evidence of whether the system works or not).

Except DL moving to the virtual queue on Monday won't be a good apples to apples comparison to how opening day at HS will be because the opening day onslaught at DL was relieved through the 2-week long reservation system. The die hards who were intent on being the first to the land have already been.

Paid (and probably expensive) reservation system at WDW is the only way to avoid a complete mess. It has to be paid due to number of on-site guests on a first come, first serve basis.
How is a paid reservation system at WDW the only way to avoid a complete mess?

The only way to avoid a complete mess is to have a way to regulate the influx of guests into SWGE. A paid reservation system is one way of accomplishing this, a non-paid reservation system is another way. A third way is a virtual queue that is accessible the day of and only after the land has reach capacity.

There are pros and cons to any of these methods.

A paid reservation system will provide guests a guarantee that they will be able to get into SWGE. A con is that it would likely be very expensive and would favor people who are better off financially. If you are looking at being fair and equitable, having a paid reservation system probably isn't the way to go.

An unpaid reservation system will also provide guests a guarantee that they will be able to get into SWGE, without the cost above. The issue with this is that these will likely be gone in a matter of minutes and depending upon a variety of issues (work hour and or where someone lives) there is going to be a bias to certain groups of people. You can say, if it is important then people will make it work and that is true. But, that isn't really any different than getting to the park at 1am or camping out overnight to get in early.

This brings us to the virtual queue. The virtual queue puts everyone on an even playing field. Although the EEMHs for resort guests does give them an advantage. If making sure you get in is important then you get up early and get to the park. If it isn't that important, then you can come later in the morning and take your chances. I have seen that Smuggler's Run has a capacity of about 1800 guests an hour. Over the course of a 16 hour day, that is over 28000 riders, I would assume that the capacity of the land is higher than 1800. We don't know how long people are going to stay in SWGE, but it would not be difficult to use a virtual queue to match the incoming guests to the outgoing guests.

While all three methods will control the chaos in SWGE and they all have their pros and cons, I think the virtual queue is by far the most equitable. I don't think that the reservation system is wrong, I just don't see it as equitable as a virtual queue.

Disney has an advantage in implementing a virtual queue instead of reservations—the “promise” of getting in for its guests sells more hotel rooms. If they did a reservation system guests would know in advance if they were getting in and may cancel stays if they don’t get a reservation. They want to sell those rooms and I am thinking (hoping) control crowds so a virtual queue makes more sense for both.

A paid reservation system will provide guests a guarantee that they will be able to get into SWGE. A con is that it would likely be very expensive and would favor people who are better off financially. If you are looking at being fair and equitable, having a paid reservation system probably isn't the way to go.

I totally understand the point you are making, however Disney is not fair and equitable. If they were maybe we could go a few months without more price increases.

When looking at the DL reservation system, guests who were staying on-site at Disney hotels were given access. Those on-site hotels are Very expensive (deluxe equivalent?) That decision alone already favors those who are better off financially.

Except DL moving to the virtual queue on Monday won't be a good apples to apples comparison to how opening day at HS will be because the opening day onslaught at DL was relieved through the 2-week long reservation system. The die hards who were intent on being the first to the land have already been.
That's why I said "a bit". It's not a complete report on how Disney should operate WDW but it's something and Disney will be watching it closely. If it ends up being a disaster then Disney might end up making changes. Until then, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disney has an advantage in implementing a virtual queue instead of reservations—the “promise” of getting in for its guests sells more hotel rooms. If they did a reservation system guests would know in advance if they were getting in and may cancel stays if they don’t get a reservation. They want to sell those rooms and I am thinking (hoping) control crowds so a virtual queue makes more sense for both.

That works for residents of the USA, however what about international guests who will then need to rely on WDW amazing WiFi? (Sarcasm). Even if the Virtual Que works for DL next week, as someone mentioned previously it won't be an accurate representation of what will happen at WDW.

Someone cancels, another usually takes their place at the end of the day.

I totally understand the point you are making, however Disney is not fair and equitable. If they were maybe we could go a few months without more price increases.

When looking at the DL reservation system, guests who were staying on-site at Disney hotels were given access. Those on-site hotels are Very expensive (deluxe equivalent?) That decision alone already favors those who are better off financially.
I agree with you 100% as far as Disney not being fair and equitable. We are DVC members stay in the villas when we go, I would love it if they could guarantee onsite guests access to SWGE, but there are just too many rooms to do that for (or at least I think there are too many rooms/guests for that). I would just prefer the virtual queue, I think it would offer guests more flexibility. Again, just my opinion.

BTW, we are probably not going back for over a year, so by the time we go this is all likely going to be a mute point.

I think the 3 hours of EMH every morning that is for onsite guests only (after the first 2 days) is the big benefit they will push to get people to stay on property who want access to the land

Part of the diehard crowds will have already went to DL though as well. So DL opening first for reservations and now to anyone is going to relieve some of that opening weekend pressure.

Do you like making incorrect broad statements on this forum? Just for tonight on June 21st I can book a room at Campgrounds, POR, CBR, POFQ, BCV, GFV. There are people who cancelled those rooms and were not replaced. If enough people choose to cancel in September and new bookers would 100% not have access to Star Wars (hence why person cancelled) you are now left with normal September visitors which is the low period for Disney to start with.

So no someone cancelling would not automatically be replaced by someone else during the slowest time of the year excluding the Star Wars pull that will change things to some unknown level.

That works for residents of the USA, however what about international guests who will then need to rely on WDW amazing WiFi? (Sarcasm). Even if the Virtual Que works for DL next week, as someone mentioned previously it won't be an accurate representation of what will happen at WDW.

US guests are just as much victims of Disney's horrible IT when using the app not on wifi. When we were there at the end of May we couldn't even get it to load most of the time.

I think the 3 hours of EMH every morning that is for onsite guests only (after the first 2 days) is the big benefit they will push to get people to stay on property who want access to the land

I don't see why you would have a reservation system for all the hours except for the first 3 hours of the day though? I would expect it to be all or nothing. Would they have a virtual queue for the first 3 hours and then cancel that to allow for the reservation guests starting at 9am when the park opens?

I don't see why you would have a reservation system for all the hours except for the first 3 hours of the day though? I would expect it to be all or nothing. Would they have a virtual queue for the first 3 hours and then cancel that to allow for the reservation guests starting at 9am when the park opens?

I don't think there will be a reservation system - I think it is the 3 hour EMH that is the benefit to staying onsite and then there will be a virtual queue used after the land reaches capacity. By having access to the land those 3 extra hours increases your odd of getting into the land before capacity is reached and then off site guests only getting there at regular park opening are likely to see a land already filled and have to enter the virtual queue. If capacity reached duriing the EMH then onsite guests can be first on the virtual queue

I don't think you mix virtual queue and reservations, it needs to be one or the other.

I would be pretty confident saying that SWGE will reach capacity during the 3 hour EEMHs. So, will they start the virtual queue as soon as it hit's capacity, or wait until 9:00am? If they do it immediately, resort guests will have a huge advantage over offsite guests. If they wait until 9:00, there is still an advantage for resort guests, but not quite as much.

My guess is that the virtual queue will open as soon as capacity is hit. If that is during EEMHs, then resort guests who went to the EEMH will have spot on the virtual queue prior to the park opening up to the general public.

My guess is that the virtual queue will open as soon as capacity is hit. If that is during EEMHs, then resort guests who went to the EEMH will have spot on the virtual queue prior to the park opening up to the general public.

that is what I would expect too ... and really gives an advantage to those staying onsite a big benefit - which, since there is no FP for the Falcon they lack the 60-day booking perk

I don't think you mix virtual queue and reservations, it needs to be one or the other.

I would be pretty confident saying that SWGE will reach capacity during the 3 hour EEMHs. So, will they start the virtual queue as soon as it hit's capacity, or wait until 9:00am? If they do it immediately, resort guests will have a huge advantage over offsite guests. If they wait until 9:00, there is still an advantage for resort guests, but not quite as much.

it will also depend on how they work the VQ. If people have to be inside the park or if being by the front gate is enough or if you can book from your onsite hotel room or another park

I`m planning an October trip for seven people (nine days), and I`ve already told my group that we might not get in GE at all (and we are staying on-site). Managing expectations is a part of the trip planning process, too!

We’re looking at going in Oct, and although it would be more of a Halloween trip I’d like to see GE. Asked the TA and she said the same thing - that they are not implementing the same process as DL, so it will be interesting to see what people start posting when it opens.

It’s pretty simple - capacity for SWGE is limited. Disney can either make it a pleasant time for those that get to experience it or make it painful for everyone.

I assume that the FP changes are a prelude to a virtual queue system for folks waiting within HS. This is the bare minimum Disney can do to improve the experience.

Last edited:
Hopefully we get more answers after the virtual queue goes live at DL. It seems like everyone is assuming there will be some type of virtual queue but they have not even said that yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter