A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

It is mostly the same benefits but there are differences and we are seeing those differences widen as people are willing to pay more such as 90 FastPass + for club level guests willing to shell out more dough. In the end Disney will do what they always do, weigh the pros and cons against their bottom line and go with what will bring in the most revenue.

Wasn’t an issue for Disneyland though. Disneyland hotels are crazy expensive. Not saying I agree but like I’ve said before anything and everything is a PR problem.
Yeah but there's not a lot to choose from at DL, here at WDW one of the advantages is the range of options for the same service, they boast about ir in all their commercials

Yeah but there's not a lot to choose from at DL, here at WDW one of the advantages is the range of options for the same service, they boast about ir in all their commercials
Certainly, but I’ve got to imagine Disney is still weighing every option possible. I don’t expect anything officially decided until after June 24th.

We have a late September trip booked in CL. I’m hoping something is introduced into the CLFP program for some kinda extra GE access benefit.

As always.... whatever decision is made will be based on revenue and the bottom line. If it makes them more money to offer a guaranteed reservation....that's what they will do.

I know one thing. We are cancelling our trip if no reservation system exists. I am not standing in a 5 hour line.

Well Hagrids opened today at Universal and currently has a 600 minute wait so that could be an indication of what’s to come for SWGE.
And now it closed for weather. Woman on the UO boards said she has been on line since 5:30 AM and it was closed right before she was ready to board.

People have said reservations won’t work because WDW has 20 or so resorts on site. But has anyone thought of the possibility that Disneyland had guaranteed reservations for their three “Deluxe” hotels and WDW could easily follow suit for their 8 and make the rest of the reservations first come first serve.

If they aren’t filling the deluxe resorts for the month of September I could see this carrot being dangled.
This 100%.

As mentioned, the hotel comparisons between DL and WDW need to be ignored. But to those that bring this up I can only say, "What's your point?" At DL, they didn't choose to have the reservations system in place because they wanted to appeal to their guests, it was done to have 100% control over the crowds, while obviously letting their on-site guests access first.

IMO, the exact same thing needs to happen at WDW, with a first come first serve approach (and with better IT/Server capabilities! :) ). Just because you are staying on-site, you are not entitled to have guaranteed entry into Galaxy's Edge. It needs to be controlled, HS is too small and it will be too hot outside.

I think one of the problems with reservations is that they don't allow for the whole capacity of the land to be used. The reservations have specific entry times, so it half the people in the first group leave before the end of the time window then it leave in-used capacity in the land.

This 100%.

As mentioned, the hotel comparisons between DL and WDW need to be ignored. But to those that bring this up I can only say, "What's your point?" At DL, they didn't choose to have the reservations system in place because they wanted to appeal to their guests, it was done to have 100% control over the crowds, while obviously letting their on-site guests access first.

IMO, the exact same thing needs to happen at WDW, with a first come first serve approach (and with better IT/Server capabilities! :) ). Just because you are staying on-site, you are not entitled to have guaranteed entry into Galaxy's Edge. It needs to be controlled, HS is too small and it will be too hot outside.
I disagree. It definitely should not be ignored. The difference in onsite hotel guests between the two resorts is HUGE. The two resorts are also two very different beasts. You have 1+ million annual pass holders in Disneyland. The majority of people on any given day there are locals. In WDW, its the opposite. The majority are tourists coming from all over the world and they plan their vacations months if not years in advance.

Now to go along with that I do think a reservation system could work in WDW but I think if they went that route they would have to just open it to everyone to book their time slots on their own and not guarantee reservations for onsite guests. If they guaranteed them for onsite guests they wouldn't have any left for offsite guests or locals.

In addition to that I really think WDW is going to watch June 24th closely and see how well things go once everything is open without a reservation. That will be the first true test.

If I recall correctly the Disneyland annual passholders were blocked from attending the grand opening unless they were onsite guests as well? So essentially Disney was telling their local day-trip guests to come back on June 23/24.

Disney will protect the bottom line ($$$$) first, and realize that guests staying at on site resorts will spend more money. Those guests get higher priority. Elitist or not, that's just the reality of this situation. It is because WDW vacationers do plan their trips so far in advance, that they must absolutely have a controlled system in place (at least for the first few months).

Maybe it is ignorance, but I do find it laughable that there is this perceived assumption by many that just because someone is visiting WDW you should be able to see Galaxy's Edge. As I mentioned previously, 88 million visitors last year is all the math/information needed to come to the conclusion that this expectation is completely unrealistic. This 88 million (arguably) only accounts for a small portion of people who are not Disney fans, but LOVE Star Wars! :), meaning more'Just Star Wars' fans as sure to be coming!!!

Last edited:
If I recall correctly the Disneyland annual passholders were blocked from attending the grand opening unless they were onsite guests as well? So essentially Disney was telling their local day-trip guests to come back on June 23/24.

Disney will protect the bottom line ($$$$) first, and realize that guests staying at on site resorts will spend more money. Those guests get higher priority. Elitist or not, that's just the reality of this situation. It is because WDW vacationers do plan their trips so far in advance, that they must absolutely have a controlled system in place (at least for the first few months).

Maybe it is ignorance, but I do find it laughable that there is this perceived assumption by many that just because someone is visiting WDW you should be able to see Galaxy's Edge. As I mentioned previously, 88 million visitors last year is all the math/information needed to come to the conclusion that this expectation is completely unrealistic. This 88 million (arguably) only accounts for a small portion of people who are not Disney fans, but LOVE Star Wars! :)
Not all pass were blocked out but yes several were. This is why the parks were essentially dead outside of SWGE. APs that weren't blocked out and offsite guests could still book a time slot.

I am not sure who is saying that assumption. Many who go to WDW don't even have an interest in SWGE.

I think one of the problems with reservations is that they don't allow for the whole capacity of the land to be used. The reservations have specific entry times, so it half the people in the first group leave before the end of the time window then it leave in-used capacity in the land.
I think this problem would be solved by the combination of a reservation system with a standby queue. Could devote a percentage of the capacity to reservations and then backfill with whomever is willing to roast in the standby line. And yes, this sounds a lot like the current fastpass system.

If they go to a reservation system and I am unable to get one, I for one would be calling Disney to cancel my stay on property for my 7 night stay at the Beach Club in September. Now if I am unable to get in with the 6am start for onsite guests and all things being equal that’s a different story.

I still think the best “balance” of rewarding & prioritising onsite vs not coming out and saying “you HAVE to stay onsite or you’re not getting in at all” is this EEMH.
You come in at 6am; pending capacity- you can see the land now. You will be removed at 9am.
But from 6am - rest of the day- you queue for spots to see it in time chunks. We chuck a wrist band on you- off you go.
Everyone’s saying that that will attract a longer line than just queuing for the land and I disagree. In DL; you had to queue to check in for your reservation, they had to look up your reservation, deal with any glitches with your reservation (yes they were one). And yet the Dis team still said those lines moved pretty quickly.
Here they have coloured wrist bands in boxes. Different colours mean different times. You put a sign at the start of the line saying “all members of your party must be present for wristband collection”.
They run out of red wristbands, you move to Yellow = new time slot. There’s no 20 questions- just a “your time is 1pm-5pm. You enter here. Til the spire. Next!”

Hotel guests can enter the queue before 9am. And are more likely to get spots early.
If they run out before 9am for offsite guests “sorry, all spots are exhausted for the day” (though I honestly do doubt that they will run out of all spots during EEMH; especially since onsite guests can just enter the land during EEMH- how many would sign up for later; if you can just enter now?) And you’ll get rid of the runners if you enforce that all members of the party must be there at checkin.

Offsite guests will still have a chance. But no so good of a chance that you’re not rewarding onsite.

But from 6am - rest of the day- you queue for spots to see it in time chunks. We chuck a wrist band on you- off you go.
Everyone’s saying that that will attract a longer line than just queuing for the land and I disagree. In DL; you had to queue to check in for your reservation, they had to look up your reservation, deal with any glitches with your reservation (yes they were one). And yet the Dis team still said those lines moved pretty quickly.
Here they have coloured wrist bands in boxes. Different colours mean different times. You put a sign at the start of the line saying “all members of your party must be present for wristband collection”.
They run out of red wristbands, you move to Yellow = new time slot. There’s no 20 questions- just a “your time is 1pm-5pm. You enter here. Til the spire. Next!”
This is where I think a virtual queue would work better or similarly.

This is where I think a virtual queue would work better or similarly.
My problems with a virtual queue.
- Disney’s technology can’t handle it. It just can’t. It should be able to. It can’t. DLP was using virtual queues last summer for meet and greets with the Superheroes. I personally tried to join the queue; and I couldn’t. Between the glitchy WiFi, and the app (which by the way, was a separate company/app to the standard DLP app).
- As an international visitor (of which WDW has many) - you’re relying on Disney WiFi. Again- see #1.
And finally- the runners. There is nothing stopping Dad going into the park at 6am, booking his family for 12 noon and everyone laying in bed until 11:00am. Or the rest of the family heading to MK to Rope Drop there at 7 for 4 hours and coming over when it’s their time.
Even WORSE- the throwaway reservations @ Fort Wilderness for offsite guests and someone virtually joining the queue at 6am for their party of 12 that’s actually staying offsite in a 5 bedroom villa.

My problems with a virtual queue.
- Disney’s technology can’t handle it. It just can’t. It should be able to. It can’t. DLP was using virtual queues last summer for meet and greets with the Superheroes. I personally tried to join the queue; and I couldn’t. Between the glitchy WiFi, and the app (which by the way, was a separate company/app to the standard DLP app).
- As an international visitor (of which WDW has many) - you’re relying on Disney WiFi. Again- see #1.
And finally- the runners. There is nothing stopping Dad going into the park at 6am, booking his family for 12 noon and everyone laying in bed until 11:00am. Or the rest of the family heading to MK to Rope Drop there at 7 for 4 hours and coming over when it’s their time.
Even WORSE- the throwaway reservations @ Fort Wilderness for offsite guests and someone virtually joining the queue at 6am for their party of 12 that’s actually staying offsite in a 5 bedroom villa.
I think its yet to be seen if it can or cannot. June 24th will be the test for that. DLP operates a bit differently than the US parks even though they are owned by the same company.

The runner situation would be assuming the virtual queue is in use at 6AM. It may be but then their return time could be 7AM so that family better get there in time.

With the virtual queue it wouldn't be attached to your room so no need for a throwaway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!