A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

Last Monday they made an announcement about previews for passholders.

In addition, we’re excited to share that Platinum, Platinum Plus and Premier Annual Passholders will be among the first to experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, with complimentary special preview opportunities planned before the land’s opening on Aug. 29.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ders-can-enjoy-special-offerings-this-summer/
There is currently and 82 page thread of passholders waiting to find out how to secure their preview opportunity

@mountain man
DVC is not included in the previews so far and it's not open to all APholders only Platinum and above. Not knowing how many Platinum and above APholders there are it is quite possible all could get in with a week of previews

I am definitely confused on why some think a virtual queue will be chaos. It seems to be going well so far at DL. Sure there may be more people at WDW since there are no reservations prior to spread people out but that does not mean it will be chaos.

I would much rather enter my place in line virtually and then be free to do what I want vs stand in a physical queue in the park.

Standing in line, potentially for hours, in August is where we are at right now. I feel like anything is better than that.

100% agree, again!

The WDW opening is going to be bigger than anything HS has ever seen before. There is so much shortsightedness in this thread, it is astounding.

It will be nothing like Pandora, Toy Story Land or anything Universal (Harry Potter) has.

Virtual Que? haha, Hollywood Studios will reach capacity 47 seconds after SWGE does (sarcasm), and then there will just be a full park of guests loitering around waiting to get in. This won't be comfortable, nor is it smart! *See August Heat* In before the counterpoint, the changing of the FP Tiers won't make a difference, hahaha, I can really see people clamouring to get in to all the stage shows instead...(sarcasm).

Also, I am not 100% sure, but isn't there only 2 entrances at HS for SWGE? If so, one of these access points is through Toy Story Land. TSL is already very small and cramped, I am sure there won't be any issues whatsoever with and extra influx of people trying to get in to SWGE (again....sarcasm).

Anyway, my 2 cents again, I can't wait to read others responses telling me how wrong I am and that a Virtual Que is the best and only way it will work. :)

Posters like you, who have been predicting chaos and disaster, have already been proven wrong by what`s going on at Disneyland. But you still insist on making preposterous doomsday predictions like this:

"Hollywood Studios will reach capacity 47 seconds after SWGE does (sarcasm), and then there will just be a full park of guests loitering around waiting to get in."

Oh, please, give it a rest. Even when Hagrid`s coaster had ten hour wait times, Universal didn`t close Islands of Adventure for capacity.

Perhaps they could do one reservation time into GE per hotel stay, like Disneyland is doing, but require a minimum stay length to avoid people booking a single night just for a reservation. Say they require a 6 night stay to received a GE reservation, that would spread out the reservations. They could also expand park hours to accommodate more time slots per day than just 4.

What an awful idea...a 6 night stay to get a reservation?

Yeah, I'm not a
but the virtual queue could be run independent of that. They can wait to open the virtual queue until the park opens to the general population and everyone can then try and get a boarding group. If I get a virtual queue and my window is up in 8 hours, I may go to a different park. If it is in a couple of hours, I will probably say in HS and do what I can there. If I don't get into a boarding group, or I am not interest in SWGE, then I will just go about my business.

This system I could be on board with. I didn't realize the VQ would possibly be accessible from multiple areas of the park. If I can wake up in my hotel room at 6 am and get in the VQ and then go back to bed, that would be great.

Posters like you, who have been predicting chaos and disaster, have already been proven wrong by what`s going on at Disneyland.

While I agree that the doom-and-gloom is unnecessary, it's silly to suggest that the DL opening is comparable to the WDW opening, unless they do the same exact thing in the same exact order. The early reservation system at DL for three weeks lightened the load of the VQ in a way that WDW doesn't appear lined up to do.

So nobody is being proven wrong...it's a complete apples to oranges comparison. You don't know it's going to be fine. I don't know it's going to be a complete nightmare. We won't really know anything until Aug 29.

So let's just embrace the not knowing and everyone stop acting like we know how it's going to be.

I didn't know that they had announced anything about access for DHS yet.

They haven't. I think the poster is confused about the difference between Passholder Preview and the reservation system.

No reservation system has been announced for SWGE at HS.

Yeah, I'm not a

This system I could be on board with. I didn't realize the VQ would possibly be accessible from multiple areas of the park. If I can wake up in my hotel room at 6 am and get in the VQ and then go back to bed, that would be great.
At DL you have to enter either park to be eligible to get into the VQ. So technically you cannot get in from your hotel room without first having entered A park. So you could go to a park, scan your mb and then go back to your hotel Room and book

At DL you have to enter either park to be eligible to get into the VQ. So technically you cannot get in from your hotel room without first having entered A park. So you could go to a park, scan your mb and then go back to your hotel Room and book

I assume that everyone in the party has to scan into the park and not just 1 person- who could then put their entire party that's in MDE in the VQ?

I'm hoping that they will do VQ even during the EEMH, I can see enough people out of bed early enough to make it to where not everyone would be able to get in during that 3 hour window. If the VQ doesn't start until after regular park opening that means that someone who got there at 4AM still might be out of luck if they aren't quick enough on their phone. If they get lucky enough to be in BG1 that still means they have waited 5 hours-not cool.

I assume that everyone in the party has to scan into the park and not just 1 person- who could then put their entire party that's in MDE in the VQ?

I'm hoping that they will do VQ even during the EEMH, I can see enough people out of bed early enough to make it to where not everyone would be able to get in during that 3 hour window. If the VQ doesn't start until after regular park opening that means that someone who got there at 4AM still might be out of luck if they aren't quick enough on their phone. If they get lucky enough to be in BG1 that still means they have waited 5 hours-not cool.
correct to your question.
I mean it's not unprecedented, the first couple of days of Pandora people waited, IN LINE, to get into the land aprox. 4-5 hours. I don't think arriving at 4am for a 6am EEEMH will NOT get you into Batuu. These hours are for resort guests and I can only assume that about half of the occupancy might have an interesting in going that early to GE, and from that half, a fraction will wake up extra extra early

Posters like you, who have been predicting chaos and disaster, have already been proven wrong by what`s going on at Disneyland. But you still insist on making preposterous doomsday predictions like this:

"Hollywood Studios will reach capacity 47 seconds after SWGE does (sarcasm), and then there will just be a full park of guests loitering around waiting to get in."

Oh, please, give it a rest. Even when Hagrid`s coaster had ten hour wait times, Universal didn`t close Islands of Adventure for capacity.

🙁 ................ hahahahah, Proven wrong by what is going on at Disneyland? 😀

Buckle up for a small math lesson. 😀

2018 Attendance at Disneyland in California: 18.6 Million (That certainly is a lot of people!)

But wait...........there's more math to come!

2018 Attendance at Walt Disney World: 59 Million just at the 4 parks. (I think this number is much greater than 18.6?)

Still more....I know, this is edge of your seat stuff. 😀

Tens of millions of worldwide Star Wars fans. (sorry, there aren't any factual numbers to bold here)

You know what, you are right, I concede. Walt Disney World and Disneyland are the exact same thing. I'm terrible at math, those 2 numbers are also the exact same thing right? No difference at all, exact same number of annual park visitors. And I should definitely just ignore the millions of Star Wars fans that don't traditionally go to WDW. And Walt Disney World has a flawless IT department and world leading free in-park WiFi for their guests.

Just in case............. ^^^^^^^............ that was sarcasm. 😀 <------ That wasn't sarcasm.

Virtual Que? haha, Hollywood Studios will reach capacity 47 seconds after SWGE does (sarcasm), and then there will just be a full park of guests loitering around waiting to get in. This won't be comfortable, nor is it smart!

So it fills up? The virtual queue starts and you do other rides, shows, restaurants, or leave the park completely until your time comes up. Do people loiter for 8 hours because their Pandora FP+ is not until 6PM? No they go to the rest of the park while they wait or leave the park and come back later.

If people are lining up for the virtual queue than what is the point?

Who is lining up for a virtual queue? The virtual queue is virtual and tells you when to come back to enter. Any wait if done correctly should be fairly short. Your original virtual line could be hours though.

The only explanation is that these people feel entitled to get in just because they have booked a stay and should and not have to pay for access via a reservation system!

I just don't think Disney is going to announce to onsite visitors weeks ahead of time that they won't get in to Star Wars land. Some of those visitors will cancel and with September being as slow as it is normally no one will replace them. The reason no one will replace those that cancel is because Star Wars will already be completely booked.

A virtual queue gives everyone a shot, gives onsite stays a leg up with EEMH, and specifically gives hope to offsite guests who under a reservation system I think would have 0 chance of getting in.

🙁 ................ hahahahah, Proven wrong by what is going on at Disneyland? 😀

Buckle up for a small math lesson. 😀

2018 Attendance at Disneyland in California: 18.6 Million (That certainly is a lot of people!)

But wait...........there's more math to come!

2018 Attendance at Walt Disney World: 59 Million just at the 4 parks. (I think this number is much greater than 18.6?)

Still more....I know, this is edge of your seat stuff. 😀

Tens of millions of worldwide Star Wars fans. (sorry, there aren't any factual numbers to bold here)

You know what, you are right, I concede. Walt Disney World and Disneyland are the exact same thing. I'm terrible at math, those 2 numbers are also the exact same thing right? No difference at all, exact same number of annual park visitors. And I should definitely just ignore the millions of Star Wars fans that don't traditionally go to WDW. And Walt Disney World has a flawless IT department and world leading free in-park WiFi for their guests.

Just in case............. ^^^^^^^............ that was sarcasm. 😀 <------ That wasn't sarcasm.

There`s another big difference. DL`s GE opened months before WDW`s is scheduled to, so those worldwide fans can go there to experience it much earlier (and we know that SW fanatics always want to experience anything Star Wars related ASAP). People who travel to WDW are coming for Disney World, as opposed to a given IP -- that`s always been the case.

And if you want to throw math around, don`t forget that WDW`s annual attendance is divided between FOUR parks, and that doesn`t include water parks. And the addition of EMH at three parks should spread out the crowds, except maybe the first few days after GE opens.

Of course GE will be very popular, but it`s unlikely that DHS will close for capacity, except maybe the first day or two.

There`s another big difference. DL`s GE opened months before WDW`s is scheduled to, so those worldwide fans can go there to experience it much earlier (and we know that SW fanatics always want to experience anything Star Wars related ASAP). People who travel to WDW are coming for Disney World, as opposed to a given IP -- that`s always been the case.

And if you want to throw math around, don`t forget that WDW`s annual attendance is divided between FOUR parks, and that doesn`t include water parks. And the addition of EMH at three parks should spread out the crowds, except maybe the first few days after GE opens.

Of course GE will be very popular, but it`s unlikely that DHS will close for capacity, except maybe the first day or two.
I hear ya!

For what it is worth, those attendance numbers I looked up are only taking into account the 4 Parks. The 59 Million doesn't include everything else. 2018 total WDW attendance numbers were reported at 88 million, which is insane.

My family will be at WDW Aug 22 - Sept 1. Booked in January hoping to avoid SWGE opening, and instead it opens right in the middle of our stay. We'll have a front row seat to all this madness.

I’ve been following this thread with great interest, but haven’t read every post. So forgive me if this is duplicate.

DL and DW are completely different animals. Everything at DL is “day of” and both parks are right next to each other. DW is spread out and you are expected to do quite a bit of preplanning. DW is not set up for spontaneity.

I’m being asked to schedule my dining 180 days in advance. Then fast passes 60 days in advance. I have to make sure to keep my dining reservations in mind when making the ride picks. This system is insane (IMO), but it’s the current system and we know that going in.

A virtual que has the potential to throw a wrench into all the preplanning. Say you’re at HS and you get into the que in the AM. You then get your callback time and it conflicts with the ADR you got up at 3am 6 months ago to reserve. Or worse yet, you don’t get in at all on your HS day. You just just spent a whole day at a park with a new FP tier structure that all but guarantees more of the top rides via stand by lines. And now you have to use another park day to come back and try again. But that next day might have 3 FPs booked in MK....it goes on and on.

DW is not set up to introduce something that requires luck over planning into their very scheduled-heavy eco system.

I don’t like being asked to plan out my entire trip months in advance, only to have the one thing I want to see the most, but can’t schedule in advance, become the biggest PITA once there.

So how are things going at the DL GE now that the reservation system is over? Any news there? Is it utter chaos or is everything OK?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!