A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

A virtual que has the potential to throw a wrench into all the preplanning

Not really because you have an impact on your call back. Get there earlier, get there later, leave the queue and reenter it. There should be no ADR that conflicts with your HS day though in the middle of the day for a 2 hour window.

When you plan your Star Wars days you should plan your meals as such that they can be changed.

So it is 2 months from tomorrow that GE will open - Any predictions as to when we will hear more about AP previews or about a VQ system? I feel like we have radio silence right now from Disney and like PP said, there is so much preplanning that WDW requires, it is hard not to be able to really preplan our GE experience. Will we get into AP previews?? Will I spend all day on the 29th online to get into the land or will I be able to utilize VQ so I can still enjoy DHS while we wait? Should I cancel my late lunch ADR that I made just to help if the park reaches capacity and I haven't made it inside yet? So many things I'm wondering these days.... Obviously these aren't questions anyone on this board can answer - just saying what I'm thinking...

Awesome! :) Thanks for the info!
Sorry, was a bit short but more info: seems to be going fine, they *have* required the VQ here and there but the waits are reasonable and it doesn't sound like anyone has struck out. If there are complaints about it I haven't seen them, and I've been keeping an eye on social media. And it sounds like reservations to Savi's and Oga's have also been going well, it doesn't fill up as soon as reservations open at 7 am. It's gone well enough that I'm seriously tempted to take a trip earlier, I'm a bit concerned that it'll flood once Rise opens.

So how are things going at the DL GE now that the reservation system is over? Any news there? Is it utter chaos or is everything OK?
The parks are super slow to the point that people are starting to wonder if something is wrong.

The huge Star Wars crowds who supposedly will do or pay anything for Star Wars have not materialized. I’ve seen several theories as to why that is but all I really know is my own opinion. I just don’t care about Disney’s oversaturated, overmarketed version of Star Wars.

Lol, so that’s it? And now it’s over? lol! Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Make no mistake, Disney was taken off guard by this.
Yes and no. The reservation period did really help spread things out. I think a lot of the crazy Star Wars people did go during the reservation period. Some I also think are waiting for SWGE at WDW though too. Some will even go to both.

I do think substantial numbers of people were scared away by dark predictions of insane, capacity crowds. Also, a lot of California APs have been blocked out.

Who knows, maybe it won`t be too terrible at WDW either?

Is this a definitive answer of how fp affects standby line?
Yes - a FP system increases the wait time for the standby line. Capacity of a ride is fixed. The overall wait time for all riders is fixed. How you distribute the fixed overall wait time across individual riders can vary.

Last edited:
I’ve been following this thread with great interest, but haven’t read every post. So forgive me if this is duplicate.

DL and DW are completely different animals. Everything at DL is “day of” and both parks are right next to each other. DW is spread out and you are expected to do quite a bit of preplanning. DW is not set up for spontaneity.

I’m being asked to schedule my dining 180 days in advance. Then fast passes 60 days in advance. I have to make sure to keep my dining reservations in mind when making the ride picks. This system is insane (IMO), but it’s the current system and we know that going in.

A virtual que has the potential to throw a wrench into all the preplanning. Say you’re at HS and you get into the que in the AM. You then get your callback time and it conflicts with the ADR you got up at 3am 6 months ago to reserve. Or worse yet, you don’t get in at all on your HS day. You just just spent a whole day at a park with a new FP tier structure that all but guarantees more of the top rides via stand by lines. And now you have to use another park day to come back and try again. But that next day might have 3 FPs booked in MK....it goes on and on.

DW is not set up to introduce something that requires luck over planning into their very scheduled-heavy eco system.

I don’t like being asked to plan out my entire trip months in advance, only to have the one thing I want to see the most, but can’t schedule in advance, become the biggest PITA once there.

I get exactly what you are saying-planning a WDW trip is not for the faint of heart! My FP day is tomorrow and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't in a bit of a panic about it.

That being said-you can only control what you can control right?

When we chose our dates we had no clue that SWGE was going to be open, much less that it was going to be in it's opening week. The announcement came I think 2 days after I did our ADRs. So we had a decision to make-go or don't go. We love SW and decided -Heck yeah we are going! With that decision we chose to accept whatever comes with it-up before the chickens mornings and love thy neighbor crowds.

I have set aside 2 days for DHS-1 for SWGE and 1 for TSL-which we missed last trip. Hopefully we knock SWGE on the day planned. It means we get to the gates 4-4:30 and hope there aren't thousands of people in front of us. Will it really stink if we get there that early and can't get a spot-yep, but I'm prepared for that if it happens.

I'm not taking away from other parks since we are not going for the sole purpose of SWGE. We either get it in one of those 2 days or we wait until next trip. It is what it is and we'll be at Disney, can't complain about that!

Last edited:
I get exactly what you are saying-planning a WDW trip is not for the faint of heart! My FP day is tomorrow and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't in a bit of a panic about it.

That being said-you can only control what you can control right?

I’m in pretty much the same exact position. Booked before SWGE was announced and have decided to embrace whatever madness SWGE might entail. We arrive 8/29. 😬
I was also pretty nervous about our FP day, but I have some good news for you... everything was wide open. I even modified a bunch of ADRs and had zero problems doing so.
I was absolutely shocked. My FP day was yesterday and my kids had a gardening class at 9am. I thought things were going to be such a mess that I would still be trying to mess with it by 9am and arranged to have my SIL take my kids to the class for me. I called DH at 7:30 yesterday morning to tell him I was done & that I could take the kids myself. He was floored!

I’m very curious to see how this all plays out.

I’m in pretty much the same exact position. Booked before SWGE was announced and have decided to embrace whatever madness SWGE might entail. We arrive 8/29. 😬
I was also pretty nervous about our FP day, but I have some good news for you... everything was wide open. I even modified a bunch of ADRs and had zero problems doing so.
I was absolutely shocked. My FP day was yesterday and my kids had a gardening class at 9am. I thought things were going to be such a mess that I would still be trying to mess with it by 9am and arranged to have my SIL take my kids to the class for me. I called DH at 7:30 yesterday morning to tell him I was done & that I could take the kids myself. He was floored!

Wow that is awesome to hear! Fingers crossed it goes as well tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, my FP day is July 9th and I'm just so worried about getting anything new at HS (family hasn't been to TSL yet) that I really hope that there's no problems when my ticket is up! My husband has gone from saying "we can skip GE on this trip and hit it next time" to talking about which color kyber crystals he wants to get on top of the base light saber, so obviously this has now become a huge priority in our family :).

Is this a definitive answer of how fp affects standby line?

I say yes...and no. Of course, FP makes standby waits longer. But after our first trip to DL as a family last week, my boys age 15, 12 and 12 MUCH preferred Hyperspace Mtn over Smuggler’s run. By a mile. They thought Smuggler’s was pretty cool, but we left before our reservation period ended, even with Smuggler’s run down to a 20 min wait.

For the umpteenth time, yes they did materialize. They were the ones who snagged up every available DL hotel room for the first three weeks and got a reservation.
So they built two billion dollar lands to sell out a few hotels for three weeks? Hotels they generally don't have much problem selling?

People thought there would be lines starting at LAX, not the lowest crowds at DLR in years. Cedar Point installing a new roller coaster for $100M would be getting a much better bump in attendance than this is giving DLR (really appears to be a negative bump).

I don't really think it is a lack of SW fans, per say, but I think Disney finally hit the point of being too greedy and there weren't as many rabid SW fans with disposable income and desire to pack out the parks when they shut out their loyal fan base.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!