A room for 9 ?

This is key! Room for 9 but you're gonna have a bed buddy. We had a group of 7 and really wanted to make the Treehouse Villas work, but the sleeping arrangements just wouldn't add up.

Plus, the Treehouse Villas have bunks for 2 beds, and they are shorty bunks. Do not put anyone over 5'5" in one unless you hate them and do not fear their wrath.

If we want our kids grandmothers to come...

Isn't this your mothers??

Sorry, couldn't help it, PP described it as 'weird family'. I digress...back to your discussion.

I'm just watching...we leave in a week for a cruise with 10 family members, 5 cabins.

I think you could book 5 value level rooms for cheaper than the multi-bedroom rooms and every single person has their own double bed and only 1-2 people per bathroom. Four rooms if anybody at all (1 person) is willing to share a bed. Three rooms if a few different people could be bed buddies...good luck! Then you still have EMH, DP, & Disney transportation options for splitting up. Easier too to split up people based on their DP wants, since everyone in same room will have to choose same plan.

Last edited:

Sorry, couldn't help it, you described it as 'weird family'. I digress...back to your discussion.

I'm just watching...we leave in a week for a cruise with 10 family members, 5 cabins.

I think you could book 5 value level rooms for cheaper than the multi-bedroom rooms and every single person has their own double bed and only 1-2 people per bathroom. Four rooms if anybody at all is willing to share a bed. Three room if a few different people could be bed buddies...good luck!

and 5 bathrooms

Plus, the Treehouse Villas have bunks for 2 beds, and they are shorty bunks. Do not put anyone over 5'5" in one unless you hate them and do not fear their wrath.
Are they shorter than the bunk beds at AKL, WL, and the cabins at Fort Wilderness? I have teen boys that have slept in bunks at those 3 locations and were fine; I think the tallest was about 5'9 or maybe slightly taller. I've been considering the Treehouse villas for an upcoming trip. I have 4 sons; the shortest is about 5'4 and the next shortest is about 5'7.

Sorry, couldn't help it, PP described it as 'weird family'. I digress...back to your discussion.

I think you could book 5 value level rooms for cheaper than the multi-bedroom rooms and every single person has their own double bed and only 1-2 people per bathroom. Four rooms if anybody at all (1 person) is willing to share a bed. Three rooms if a few different people could be bed buddies...good luck! Then you still have EMH, DP, & Disney transportation options for splitting up. Easier too to split up people based on their DP wants, since everyone in same room will have to choose same plan.

Oh yeah 3-5 rooms at the Pop would be a great way to handle this but I’m not sure if OP was interested in separate rooms.

thank you all I think I'd better look at multiple rooms/family suites. We are all family just not all couples (me and hubby our daughter and her fiance my sister my two stepsons and their daughters ) but as as the primary financial backers of this trip these decisions are mine and my husbands and I didnt realize how expensive the bigger units were per night and I am not willing to go offsite
hoping to make this multi-generational trip before the teen years hit my oldest granddaughter and we tend to be a stick together kind of traveling group

now to start lurking on the dining boards to catch rumors of free dining possibilities

thank you all I think I'd better look at multiple rooms/family suites. We are all family just not all couples (me and hubby our daughter and her fiance my sister my two stepsons and their daughters ) but as as the primary financial backers of this trip these decisions are mine and my husbands and I didnt realize how expensive the bigger units were per night and I am not willing to go offsite
hoping to make this multi-generational trip before the teen years hit my oldest granddaughter and we tend to be a stick together kind of traveling group

now to start lurking on the dining boards to catch rumors of free dining possibilities

I think I would look at who will (willingly) sleep in the same bed and who would (willingly) share a room and go from there. Once you know how many separate beds and separate rooms you need, it may be easier to decide. Just be aware that with Free Dining, you will not get a discount on the rooms at all, it will be rack rate, and also that if you book a value or moderate resort, the Free Dining plan will be the quick-service plan. I realize that FD would be a huge savings with that many people.

You could also look into renting points for a dvc resort. It seems to be less than cash reservations.

We looked to do something kind of similar a few years back for 8 for 10 nights... the family dynamic:
- Myself, wife, 5 year old son
- MIL, FIL, their teenage granddaughter (ie, our niece)
- Family friend adult couple

MIL had the initial idea to do a big family/group trip to Disney - needed to be onsite (hers and my wife's requirement). MIL preferred to get a single big villa/2BR place where we could all stay. However, after looking at room rates, we quickly found out that was not feasible budget-wise. What we ended up settling on was:

Art of Animation family Suite rooms x2 -
- Myself + wife in one bedroom
- Niece on murphy bed
- Son on sofa bed

- Adult couple in other bedroom
- MIL and FIL split between the sofa bed and murphy bed (they're used to sleeping separate due to different work schedules)

IMO, it worked out fairly well considering what we were looking for. Now I do think the Art of Animation suites are a bit high-priced for what they were: I think we paid around $330/night (full rate) with no discounts. When we booked, the Disney agent suggested that deals pop up all the time and we could always apply a deal to our current reservation.. however nothing ever come up that fit our dates (either a deal started just after our start date or ended just before end date). But we did get 4 bathrooms total out of those 2 rooms, so that wasn't too bad I guess. That said, if we would have booked offsite in a large condo/house, we could have made out a lot cheaper.

I would highly recommend the 2 bedroom 3 bath villa at Kidani. We were able to get it for about $700/night this summer. It was gorgeous. There was one king bed, two queen beds and room for three in the living room on a sleeper sofa and convertible chair.

We had a party of 10 traveling together a few years ago. We got 3 separate rooms at POFQ. I highly recommend going that route. It was very nice to get away from them all every night.

An OKW two bedroom will sleep nine and will probably be the least expensive. One king bed in the master bedroom, two queen beds in the second bedroom, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sleeper chair in the living room.

The Treehouse Villa at SSR will sleep nine. One queen bed in the master, one queen bed in the second bedroom, set of bunks (shorter and narrower than twins) in the third, queen sleeper and twin sleeper chair in the living room.

We are at OKW now with a family of 7. Holy space!!!!! We have a two bedroom and booked it during FD, so we are enjoying a sweet deal. Expensive, but worth every penny.

You will still need to share space, but if you are okay with that, you will have a full kitchen, a laundry room and living room.

Everyone should be responsible for their own room.

In your family perhaps. In mine, if we travel as extended family we stay together. We know how to share space and we like that we can then afford to stay in Deluxe resorts and enjoy the amenities offered. I am responsible for booking the resort we stay at, and the planning as well.

We are at OKW now with a family of 7. Holy space!!!!! We have a two bedroom and booked it during FD, so we are enjoying a sweet deal. Expensive, but worth every penny.

You will still need to share space, but if you are okay with that, you will have a full kitchen, a laundry room and living room.

In your family perhaps. In mine, if we travel as extended family we stay together. We know how to share space and we like that we can then afford to stay in Deluxe resorts and enjoy the amenities offered. I am responsible for booking the resort we stay at, and the planning as well.
I think it's great when families can agree on how to share space and they get along well enough to do it. A huge issue for a lot of traveling parties is how to split the costs when one couple gets a bedroom to themselves while 3 others end up sleeping in the living room and 4 more people share the second bedroom. How do you decide what's fair when two people are getting a king bed with plenty of privacy and 3 people are sleeping on fold-out furniture in the common space?

You could also look into the disney springs hotels or the swolphin, you won't get transportation to/from the airport but the price point might be more amenable and as of right now the disney springs hotels get on site perks like 60 day fastpass and EMH.

I think it's great when families can agree on how to share space and they get along well enough to do it. A huge issue for a lot of traveling parties is how to split the costs when one couple gets a bedroom to themselves while 3 others end up sleeping in the living room and 4 more people share the second bedroom. How do you decide what's fair when two people are getting a king bed with plenty of privacy and 3 people are sleeping on fold-out furniture in the common space?

It’s how we roll. We don’t count kids, and divide total cost by adults.

We figure out sleeping arrangement by what makes sense. When my oldest son and his wife join us they get their own room because that works for them.

Thus arrangement works fir us but I would never suggest it for families not used to traveling together.

a bit late but if you rent points from Dave's DVC or other place, you get about pay $1000 a night. That's quite a lot on paper but then you divide it by 9 and it's kind of reasonable.

Given the not pairing up and sleeping arrangement situation, it might be worth looking at the family suites at Art of Animation, maybe do 2 or 3 of those, they're expensive but will afford a group that large more privacy if adults aren't related/sleeping buddies.

I suggest you book if your dates are in stone and you find rooms in your budget. We thought we wanted BC and I booked there, however it was not included in free dining for our dates but okw was. I changed in a heartbeat. There is a lot of space and I saved in excess of $4300. Transportation is a Burberry long but you can buy a lot of lyft rides for that money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter