A sceptics trip report from a heatwave

And once again I really wonder where you all live that you can get better food for a lower price. Here in Brussels, if you want food from the same style/ quality as at Disney, you'll pay the same price, if not even more!!

As usually I have to sing this!

Try to find a comparable 3 courses menu (like at Walt's, Blue Lagoon, Cape Cod) for about 27€ in Paris, London, Berlin .....

We always book the "better" restaurants for the evenings because the food is great and for 22€-29€ it is a reasonalbe price! And if you do it like this you have a great breakfast in the mornings in your hotel for free. And in the evenings you have a great dinner at one of the better restaurants! :thumbsup2

Try to find a comparable 3 courses menu (like at Walt's, Blue Lagoon, Cape Cod) for about 27€ in Paris, London, Berlin .....

Whenever we're in London we always eat at a Garfunkels. They are nothing special, but they have plenty of choice and they are quick - ideal if you're off to the theatre. Certainly not fine dining! HOWEVER - the meals I've had at the Blue Lagoon have been no nicer than Garfunkels but are more than twice as expensive.:confused3

Garfunkels has the atmosphere of a vacuum though where as The Blue Lagoon is just about the greatest setting for a restaurant anywhere, for me anyway. When you take into account the full dining experience then places The Blue Lagoon are verging on cheap.

A restaurant in London with good food AND a great atmosphere and setting would cost you an arm and a leg.

As for Garfunkels food being as nice as The Blue Lagoon I guess it's all down to personal taste but I wouldn't eat in a Garfunkels if you paid me! As you can probably guess I didn't have a good dining experience in Garfunkels on Charring Cross Road!

LOL I consider my wrist slapped.;)
No, you're right - it's all down to personal choice. I have found the food in Disneyland to be no better than 'quick' restaurants in the UK - Garfunkels, Harvesters, Sizzlers etc. Reading this forum I see that lots of others think differently.

Ladies and gentlemen this is a trip report not a comparison of DLP versus home restaurants. Please respect this and keep on topic :thumbsup2

It can change day to day as well - lots seem to like the Planet Hollywood in Disney Village but the two times we ate there we very much disliked it (should never have given it a second chance) and would never go there again, not in DLRP nor London.

Never heard of a Sizzler, sounds intriguing!

EDIT: sorry for the continuation of OT discussion,I was writing this while you posted Reid- apologies.

Hi, quick question. Had a look at that website, does anyone know, can i buy a one day hopper pass. This company ony offers one day single park tickets or 2 day hoppers! Got 2 days entry with our hotel, but then moving out of disney hotel, so need to purchase our 3rd day separately.

Hi, quick question. Had a look at that website, does anyone know, can i buy a one day hopper pass. This company ony offers one day single park tickets or 2 day hoppers! Got 2 days entry with our hotel, but then moving out of disney hotel, so need to purchase our 3rd day separately.

havent seen the 1 day hopper on any discount sites,but you can order them direct from DLRP website

http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/good_to_know/tickets_entrees_park/index_euros.htm

http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/good_to_know/tickets_entrees_park/purchase_points.htm

You could ensure that you see all you want to see of the Studios while you have the hoppers, then on the day you just have a day pass you can just stick to Disneyland Park. That way you wouldn't have to buy a hopper and therefore keep down the cost.

Thanks for the report.... I got the impression that you did enjoy the experience but, as you stated, you didn't allow sentimentality about the Disney branding to colour your perceptions that the agenda is basically one of creating profit from visitors.

I have been a member of this and other boards for several years, and have visited WDW 7 times in 6 years. I feel that, whilst Epcot is my second home, I'm not over-enamoured of the smchamltzy sentimentality that is poured all over the more character-based parks, particularly MK. However, you pays yer money and takes yer chances, and I think that overall WDW is excellent value.

I similarly expect that to be my view of DLRP... I am not going to compare it to WDW (it doesn't compare, as there's no Epcot, no Boardwalk, no Jellyrolls or Celebration ;) ), I'm going to have a family holiday with two stroppy and cynical teenagers in a place where (due to familiarity with theme parks and Disney branding in Florida) there should be something for everyone, including Paris for DW and myself, as we love citybreaks, and, at 5/6 days, it will be short enough to survive should we get any issues with the brats - sorry, darling children!;) It will be a lot cheaper than Florida, and (and it's just personal to us, you may feel very different about your own brood) I'm pretty sure our days of 2 week breaks with the kids are over now.

So it should tick plenty of our boxes - and as we all love some elements of theme park life, we should have a generally positive experience - hey, we go to Blackpool every summer for a boards meet, and we survive that with a smile!:teeth:

In conclusion, it isn't heresy to admit that you don't sell into the Disney thing completely, it just proves that everyone's different. And, don't forget, a balanced view is essential on boards like this... there must be first time visitors who, having read repeated threads about the emotive elements of Disney, do get totally convinced that they are going to some sort of 1950s themepark heaven, where every minute will be filled with apple-pie smiles and hugs! Well, after standing in line for an hour with whingey toddlers who "haven't seen Goofy/Pluto/Minnie yet", during 100 degree July heat, they may start to feel a bit let down!;)

Oh, and I'll be doing a trippie BTW!:surfweb:

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter