A September Gluten Free and Magical First Trip, Disney and Beyond - UPDATE 12/12

We took a foodie walking tour through Inman Park which was fantastic. The owner of the company has coeliac so was more than accommodating to DH's needs. We walked to 5 different food stops and each stop was very different but very good.

First stop and start of our walk was at the One Eared Stag. NOTE: this is actually my plate, DH was exactly the same minus the bread. It's hot fried chicken...

IMG_6983.jpg

Then we were off walking, and stopped at a bar for a house cocktail, some chicken wings and boiled peanuts

DSC_0241.jpg

We swung by King of Pops - wish we could have tried them all!

DSC_0253.jpg

Then to a small cafe for a salad - it reminded me of Waldorf salad

DSC_0270.jpg

We ended the tour at the Krog St Market where we had two stops...

First was a dumpling place. NOTE: Dumping was not GF, DH had the cabbage at the back, he said it was amazing though!

DSC_0288.jpg

For dessert i got a pastry (wasn't fantastic) DH got a meringue which what I wished i'd gotten ;)

DSC_0289.jpg

One place we didn't eat at (too full!) was Richard's fried chicken... they are GF and looked really good...

DSC_0291.jpg

For dinner we ate at a couple of places right by our hotel in downtown.

First up was Alma Cocina, a Mexican place. The options for GF were clearly marked on the menu, but the service wasn't all that great. A little overpriced as well.

We began with the guacamole - they subbed in veggie sticks as the corn chips weren't safe

IMG_6975.jpg

Then we shared a couple of different taco plates, they were ok

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6976.jpg

On another occasion we tried Meehan's Public House, an Irish pub. This place looked unassuming from the street but inside every table was full, the atmosphere was lively and the service was great.

We split the nachos

IMG_6996.jpg

And a salmon dish

IMG_6997.jpg

We really enjoyed this place!

The final meal in Atlanta i'll write about was at Legal Seafoods, who have locations throughout the east coast. This meal was great. It was so full in there, busy and lively, and the staff were fantastic.

We started with a glass of sparkling wine, and they bought DH some nice warm GF bread rolls

IMG_6936.jpg

For an appetiser we split the fried calamari - it was really great, the best we'd eaten on this trip

IMG_6937.jpg

For entrees we shared, first grilled salmon with collard greens and rice - DH loves salmon, in case that wasn't obvious ;)

IMG_6939.jpg

I chose the grilled shrimp, with coleslaw and onion straws... YUM

IMG_6938.jpg

It was wayyyyy too much food for us to finish, but we really enjoyed our meal here and would seek out another location if we are nearby in the future.

Our final stop on this trip was 48 hours in Los Angeles before flying back to Australia, we took a daytime flight from ATL to LAX and arrived at our Hollywood hotel mid - afternoon. We had tickets to a concert at the Greek theatre, hence our stay in Hollywood.

We were starving so we headed to Calle Tacos on Hollywood Blvd - this place is REALLY GOOD!!

IMG_7012.jpg

We split a nachos, some tacos and of course giant margaritas!

IMG_7010.jpg

That kept us fuelled for the whole evening and we didn't eat again until the next day.

Sunday we picked up a rental car and headed south - this evening we had tickets to the Lakers vs Nuggets in San Diego.

Our first stop was in Irvine, at The Counter.

IMG_7064.jpg

Here you build your own burger, and they have a seperate GF menu so you can safely choose your burger.

We started with a strawberry lemonade...

IMG_7060.jpg

DH built his burger with bacon, onion, cheese, bbq sauce, lettuce - and the fries here are safe too!

IMG_7062.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't eat again this day - I had mapped out a Chick-fil-a that was right by the stadium for dinner but completely forgot that they don't open on a Sunday.

By the next morning we were pretty hungry, and decided to head downstairs in our hotel for breakfast - we were staying at the Mama Shelter hotel.

IMG_7054.jpg

They had lots of GF options on the menu, as well as a chef who was happy to modify dishes.

DH went with an omelette - i can't remember what was inside, sorry!

IMG_7094.jpg

Finally going to finish this report!!

Our last day in LA we checked out of our hotel and took the car for a day of driving around, until we had to be at the airport around 7pm for our late night flight back to Australia. We started with a coffee and light breakfast from Starbucks

IMG_7057.jpg

We then parked the car at The Grove to begin with, and wandered down West 3rd St to Fonuts!

IMG_7102.jpg

When we asked inside we were told that every donut today was gluten free - so we grabbed some of the small ones to try - YUM!
IMG_7109.jpg

We stopped for our final lunch at Wholefoods... still missing this place!

IMG_7105.jpg

And finally, back at the Grove, we split a watermelon sorbet from Dominique Ansell - this was perfect on a hot afternoon.

IMG_7108.jpg

We had a great trip, and DH did not get sick once which was a small miracle.

Our next trip will be to New Caledonia and I don't have nearly as much confidence that the food will be as great as this trip.

Thanks for reading, hope you can take some ideas away from it, and thanks so much to those who gave me tips during my planning phase!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your pictures and reviews! This is really helpful!! Cheers!

I just found your report and read through it all--it looks like so much good food! Made me hungry :) I'm glad you had a great trip and that your husband didn't get sick at all--that's awesome!

I have been GF for 7-8 years and last week was the 1st time I stopped by the Nomad Lounge. Those churros are amazing! We had a few small plates- ribs and sliders and we had to order another round of churros! It was fun reading your report!

Thanks so much for including all the places you ate at during your stay. So glad you DH didn’t get sick once on your vacation. It’s amazing now, with all the GF options and restaurants around.

Thanks so much for including all the places you ate at during your stay. So glad you DH didn’t get sick once on your vacation. It’s amazing now, with all the GF options and restaurants around.

Sorry for the slow reply - thanks so much for reading :)

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed everything, including the non-Disney trip report.

Sorry for the slow reply - thanks so much for reading :)

I am really dusting off the, well, dust on this trip report. I’ve been GF for just over 5 years now and really enjoyed your report. Fantastic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter