a serious question

Personally speaking I wouldnt. As a previous poster mentioned I think its against Disneys policy to leave children with minors. Also being at home where you know your area to a hotel where you dont etc is different. I see what people are saying that there are many CM about. I am sure I read that they need to be supervised. Think of it this way would you trust your eldest to run for help and leave your younger ones looking after the other one ? If so then I would, but have you considered going to watch a movie perhaps you watch one and they watch another. At least this way your under the same roof. :thumbsup2

Personally, I would not leave them by themselves. They are in unfamiliar setting and its not like they can go to a trusted neighbor if they had an emergency or if they needed quick assistance. My DD would be bored out of her mind in a hotel room while the parks are so close. Are you renting your own car or are you relying on Disney transportation. Disney transportation may not be as quick as you need if something arises. JMO

Another go for it vote here! You know your children best. Let's face it-as long as they have food and TV, they WILL survive for a couple of hours. And with all the Disney channels available-they have plenty of choices. Have a nice dinner. If your kids are anything like mine, they will love the time to themselves. :thumbsup2

I would leave them in the room, but stay close by at the resort. Go for a walk, a swim, have a bite to eat, etc., but do it where you can pop back to the room quickly if need be.

I personally would not. But, if your comfortable with it and already know and have tried it at home then enjoy your night out :thumbsup2 What I'd make sure of is the laws in Florida and if it is legally okay to leave them with a minor in a hotel room, just in case something should happen while your gone.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your evening and everything runs smoothe.

Thank you all for your honest thoughts. After much thinking, my DH and I decided we probably would not have much fun if we were worried the whole time. So, instead of going off to another resort, we will stay at ours(POR), and go to the lounge or jacuzzi . I will be able to relax knowing I am right there. I here the nightly entertainment is pretty good in the lounge!

You'll do fine at POR. You'll feel like its a night out while still being right there. The entertainment is fun at the bar. Have fun.

goinback - that's what I was going to suggest ;) Hang out close by. Heck, even the food court sans offspring would count as a date for us.!

Thank you all for your honest thoughts. After much thinking, my DH and I decided we probably would not have much fun if we were worried the whole time. So, instead of going off to another resort, we will stay at ours(POR), and go to the lounge or jacuzzi . I will be able to relax knowing I am right there. I here the nightly entertainment is pretty good in the lounge!

I think that if you have a phone on you and your daughter is responsible you should be fine staying at the resort. I personally wouldn never go out of POR or whichever resort we were staying at because i would be worried. The pool bar is close to AB section and the lounge is great for good music. You would be out together, but still close by.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I have a 14 year old daughter and an 11 year old son. My DD is VERY resposible so I am comfortable leaving them as long as I am close by. Keep your cell phone handy. If you have dinner and go to the lounge you will be just a short walk away. Enjoy your "date night"!

I would check the Florida laws about babysitting and at what ages kids can be left to care for other children and how many etc... In NC, A 12 year old can be left with one 2 year old but not an infant, make sense?

If something did happen, Florida would be an awful state to straighten this out!

What most states including NC and Flordia have are guildlines on child care. Currently only two states, Illinois and Maryland have rules on the ages children can be left alone. It is possible that the hotel has guidelines but I do not know what they may be.

I think staying at the resort is a great idea. Close by just in case but a little time alone too.

I would love to know if Disney does indeed have any rules?????????

I actually phoned POR and asked if there were any regulations about letting my 13yo watch the other two. They said there were none. I don't know what the legal age is in FL, but in Maryland its 13.

I didn't read all the posts...but this is just my humble opinion....
I wouldn't. Your kids are older, but there are still sicko predators out there. With the recent disapperance of Madeline in Portugal and the recent report of the sicko at the Swan at Disney it came to light that these people watch to see which kids are unattended. Better safe than sorry.

By the way...I struggle with this too. We travel a lot and I'm in hotel rooms with my 3 sons for weeks without DH in the summer. My oldest 12, doesn't always want to come with us, but I just can't chance it. I KNOW he's going to fight me on it this summer, but I'm sticking to it.

Katy

I didn't read all the posts...but this is just my humble opinion....
I wouldn't. Your kids are older, but there are still sicko predators out there. With the recent disapperance of Madeline in Portugal and the recent report of the sicko at the Swan at Disney it came to light that these people watch to see which kids are unattended. Better safe than sorry.

By the way...I struggle with this too. We travel a lot and I'm in hotel rooms with my 3 sons for weeks without DH in the summer. My oldest 12, doesn't always want to come with us, but I just can't chance it. I KNOW he's going to fight me on it this summer, but I'm sticking to it.

Katy

Well said.:thumbsup2

I My siblings are 11 and 13 years younger than me. I did watch then when we were younger at a hotel. That was before cell phones, but my parents stayed at the hotel.

I think that if you are at the resort, you should be fine. Especially if you have cellphones. Also, let them know where you will be. If the cellphone doesn't work for some reason, they could call the front desk and can track you down that way as well. Tell the kids not to open the door for anyone, and call you or front desk.

Not being rude here just asking so please don't flame- BUT- is it really worth having a dinner alone when you have all these things to take into consideration? Wouldn't it be easier to just have a date when you go home and everyone is somewhere familiar and/or you have a babysitter?

Not being rude here just asking so please don't flame- BUT- is it really worth having a dinner alone when you have all these things to take into consideration? Wouldn't it be easier to just have a date when you go home and everyone is somewhere familiar and/or you have a babysitter?

The thing is, it's a vacation for the parents too, not just the kids. And part of that is getting to do something they don't normally get to do i.e. go to a new restaurant, lounge etc., vs the same old restaurants at home. That's why people want to do stuff like this.

Yes there is slightly more of a risk with a hotel room than at home - on the other hand, there are less things in that hotel room that they could wreck!

OP: I personally don't feel that the additional risk is significant enough to fret about, and if it were me I'd probably feel quite comfortable. But if it's something that will eat at you, you won't enjoy yourself anyway, and you might as well not bother.

The thing is, it's a vacation for the parents too, not just the kids. And part of that is getting to do something they don't normally get to do i.e. go to a new restaurant, lounge etc., vs the same old restaurants at home. That's why people want to do stuff like this.

I guess that makes sense. For us personally we don't think it's worth the risk, but everyone has their own comfort levels and has to do what they feel is best for them.princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter