The dining report that no longer was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Sister Wives Food & Wine 2019 Dining Adventure!
October 29- November 6, 2019
Has anyone seen my rickshaw?... Day 4, Thursday, November 1, 2019, Part 2

Real life update:

I feel like it's been forever since I've last written, and it has been 3 1/2 weeks, so I guess that is a while. I've been having a hard time getting in a happy Disney mindset, which is what I need to be in, in order to write. To put it bluntly, I've been feeling rather sad and depressed, as I'm sure many are during these crazy & uncertain times. Living in NJ doesn't make things any easier either. We're in the southern half, but are lumped in with North Jersey/NYC, so our restrictions during this period in time are the same as theirs, which I feel is totally unfair. We still can't dine in restaurants, not even outside dining. That's supposed to start in a few more weeks. Salons will be opening then, too, but not nail salons. Why on earth not??? If I can get a haircut, why can't I get a pedicure? I just want to go out to eat or to the movies. I want my grandkids to be able to sleep over again. I'm all for it, but their parents are big scaredy cats, and "just need a few more weeks". Sheesh. I totally hate this. I know I'm whining, but it's my DR, and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, whine if I want to...la la la la... Yes, I'm losing it! :rotfl:

As you know if you've been reading along, our original WDW trip for early May got cancelled, and we rescheduled for July 11-18th. We were supposed to be at Boulder Ridge Villas, but had to book Saratoga Springs Resort, as that was all that was available that we could book point wise, since we needed a 2BR, and 2BRs in July are many more points than in May. Fast forward to a little over a week ago when Disney put out their info regarding reduced park hours, limited park attendance, reservations needed to get in the parks, etc, and both my daughter and daughter-in-law backed out of the trip. That means my grandsons, Leo, who is 20 months, and Gavin, who is 7, are no longer going with us either. :sad: It's bad enough that I've barely seen them over the last three months, but we were so looking forward to spending time in WDW with them, and now that's gone, too. I totally understand and don't blame them for not wanting to go. It is a lot of money to spend for reduced everything, and so much unknown with it all up in the air. It just made me really really sad. The only bright side is that now we didn't need a 2BR anymore since it's just me, my husband, and my sister going, (another sister wife dining report on the horizon!) so we were able to cancel the 2BR and book a 1BR at Boulder Ridge! I was super happy about that, because just in case we have to spend a lot of time at the resort, at least it's a really pretty one, with lots of relaxing nooks and crannies to hang out in, not to mention the added bonus of Bay Lake and Geyser Point Bar & Grill! I'm not opposed to spending hours staring at the lake while drinking some tasty beverages.

My sister has also had some craziness going on. About a month ago she noticed she seemed to be losing a lot of hair when washing it, and within a week she was almost completely bald! She has had alopecia areata off and on since she was a kid, but never like this, and she hasn't had an episode in years. Normally she'll lose hair in a spot, and as that grows in, another spot forms, and kind of travels around her head. This time it was her entire head! I've been spending a lot of time making face masks for family and friends, and now I'm making her head scarves! She does have quite a few auto-immune issues like cold weather urticaria, asthma, eczema, and a severe corn allergy (do you have any idea how many things have corn in it?, almost everything). So far she's had appointments with her family doctor, two endocrinologists, (the first one was a donkey's behind), and a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss, plus lots of lab work. The only finding so far is her iron level is extremely high, so now she also has to see a hematologist. She's trying hard not to freak out about it. The most recent endocrinologist doesn't think it's her thyroid, but is running some other tests, and he's wondering if it could be chemically induced hair loss. She did use a new hair color about a week before this happened, so who knows? Naturally, she can't wait until our vacation, even if it won't be like a normal Disney vacation. She just wants to get away from it all, not think about work or anything else stressful, and breath. For a minute (a very quick minute) she considered having her husband come with us to WDW, since there would now be room since the kids weren't coming, but then she was like, nope, he's been off since March (he's a teacher), and she has never stopped working, and decided she needed a vacay from him, too, and he can just wait until October when the four of us are going. Can't say I blame her. Her husband is a great guy, but sort of, probably, has the adult version of ADHD, so when he's around, it's far from relaxing!

I went to Walmart today, only the second time since the lockdowns, and I bought lots of vacation items like travel size toiletries, and other things I needed for the trip. That really cheered me up, so when I got home I decided it was time for another dining update! I'd like to finish this one before we head out to the next trip, which is now only 34 days away. Yippee!!!

Where did Rickshaw Rickie go?

It was finally time for linner, and we were eating at one of our very favorite restaurants in Animal Kingdom, as well as all of Walt Disney World, Yak & Yeti! I think we eat here almost every trip, and I can honestly say we've never had a bad meal. Sometimes the service can be a little slow, but we love the food, and the atmosphere. A few years ago I had a drink here that I absolutely loved, and it was called a Rickshaw Rickie. I don't like anything that tastes like alcohol, and I don't like beer or wine. I also don't like things with a fruity or floral taste, so Margaritas or Pina Colavas are my normal go to at WDW if I'm having an adult beverage. Since we have a Landry's card we didn't have to wait long at all, thank goodness, as every time we come here it seems busier and busier. After being seated our server asked what we'd like to drink. I was so bummed that the Rickshaw Rickie was nowhere on the drink menu. I mentioned it to the server how much I had liked it, and she said no worries, we can make you one. How's that for some pixie dust! I had to look up the ingredients online, and here it is: Rickshaw Rickie (Skyy Vodka, Cointreau, Muddled oranges and lime, and Sprite). I can only conclude that my tastes in alcohol have no rhyme or reason, since Pina Colavas are made with rum, Margaritas with tequila, and Rickshaw Rickies with Vodka! Oh yea, I also love Bloody Mary's made with Absolut Peppar Vodka, so that's two for vodka!

Rickshaw Rickie, isn't it pretty! I love it, not too sweet, and super refreshing!
View attachment 499681

Aww, we're so happy! I love my honey, and I love my sister, and I'm so glad we get to make so many happy memories. We're very lucky. It looks like my sister is drinking some type of margarita as I see what looks like a salt rim. Harry is the king of boring drinks. When he isn't ordering black coffee, he's having unsweetened iced tea and water.
View attachment 499684

Bring on the food! This beauty is the Ahi Tuna Nachos for Two- sushi grade ahi tuna, Asian slaw, crispy fried wontons, wasabi aioli, sweet soy glaze $17.99 I don't even know how to adequately describe this other than to say just get it! Of course if you don't like sushi, then don't, but if you do, this is a must. It is just so so delicious! So fresh, so tasty, just perfect. My mouth is watering now looking at this picture, and I'm hoping so hard Y&Y is open when we're there in July. We arrive the day the parks open, Saturday July 11th, and only AK & MK are opening that day, with Epcot and HS opening on the 15th. We've decided we're going to AK on arrival day, MK the next day, and then alternating again on Monday & Tuesday, Epcot Wednesday and Friday, and only one day at HS, on Thursday. It looks like park hopping won't be happening, and the parks are closing early, so I think we're going to need some kind of dining reservations for dinner. It's impossible to plan much since we don't know what will be open in the parks. So far only some restaurants in the DVC resorts have been announced as opening, and several in Disney Springs.
View attachment 499685

So when Harry was in the Army he was stationed in Korea where he developed a love of bibimbap, a Korean rice bowl topped with an assortment of vegetables and meat and served with a gochujang sauce. Imagine his delight and surprise when he saw it on the menu. This one is made with beef, and soft yolked eggs. It's not on my receipt, so must be on my sister's, as we split everything up on to two bills. I'll have to remember to take a photo of her receipts next trip. I also can't find this anywhere on Y&Ys current menu anymore, so can't give you a precise description. All I know is that he was very happy with his choice.
View attachment 499688

This is House Fried Rice $12.79 Don't ask me why we ordered this. It's fried rice for crying out loud, that we can get at home anytime, but not pay almost $13 for it. Our eyes are always bigger than our stomachs when we're at Disney. It tasted like fried rice, lol.
View attachment 499691

One of our other favorites at Y&Y is their Dragon Roll, and we get it each and every time we eat here, except it wasn't on the menu! Say what??? How could they get rid of this? People love it! What the heck! Okay, so instead they had the Dragon Roll Bowl. They were in some kind of weird bowl phase back in the fall, as now this is no longer on the menu either, but neither is the Dragon Roll. I'm going to be annoyed if it's not back in some form on our upcoming trip. So according to my receipt this was $26.99. Huh? Wow, did I see that right? I just got new glasses. Let me look again. Yes, it's right. Wow! That seems a little pricey, don't you think? I'm pretty certain the Dragon Roll was no where near that price. No wonder it's off the menu. Hardly anyone probably ordered it. I remember liking this a lot. So I found the description on the Y&Y FB page from October 25th, 2019, which was a week before we were there.
Dragon Roll Bowl- Spicy Tuna | Dynamite Crab | Teriyaki Salmon | Cucumbers | Edamame | Carrots | Mango | Tempura Crunch over Sushi Rice
View attachment 499692

I'm starting to get a little embarrassed about the amount of food we ordered! :o I guess because this was technically two meals in one, and we weren't planning on getting dinner we thought we'd better store up, like we were going to be hibernating or something. I also saw on my receipt that we had a $25 discount for my birthday that everyone who has a Landry's card gets, so maybe we were trying to get our money's worth. :confused: :teeth:

Here we have your very hard to find, one of a kind Pork Egg Rolls with chili plum dipping sauce $10.29 Not so great today. Kind of greasy, kind of crunchy, not even the chili plum sauce could save them. Oh well, two misses out of five isn't too bad. I'm chalking the fried rice up as a miss, too. It wasn't bad, just not worth the money. The drinks, the two bowls, and the ahi tuna nachos though were worth it.
View attachment 499694

We spent the rest of the late afternoon walking off some of what we ate, enjoying the sights and sounds, doing some shopping, and calling it an early evening, as we had to be up early the next day.

Up next, we're having a fancy schmancy breakfast, Oui Oui!
Yikes that you guys have the same restrictions as we do here in NYC (especially because people aren’t even really following them - I see the protests from my living room window and a lot of people aren’t wearing masks).

I’m glad you’re still able to go at all next month! Will you be doing another dining report? I’m having a great time reading them - that dragon roll bowl looks amazing.🤤 Just 7 more months until I can eat sushi or over easy eggs again.😩 Anyway, the DIS has been great at distracting me from my 24/7 morning sickness, so just wanted to thank you for your reports!

Thanks so much! I always enjoy reading other's reports, and love when they include some personal stuff, as well as some of their park adventures, so I'm glad I can give you a few laughs. Better than crying, right? Yes, if you ever have the opportunity to do the Parisian Breakfast, do it! It is the highlight of our Food & Wine trips.

Thanks so much! That's so sweet of you to say. We were in Ocean City, NJ on Saturday evening, just to walk the boards, and it was pretty busy, and since we were outside, hardly anyone was wearing a mask, and most people tried to social distance, but I could tell no one seemed worried about it. Really, after all the thousands of people at the protests, I think it's time to call it a day for the mask/social distancing restrictions, but that's just my opinion. Everything just seems so random with different areas doing different things, and same areas doing different things, as an example the Florida parks. Some places require face masks, some don't, you have to wear them outside but you don't if you're eating or drinking. Like what sense does any of this make? I'm over it already. I'll probably get criticized for saying that, but honestly, it's going to go in one ear and out the other at this point!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! That's exciting! Sorry you're having so much morning sickness though. I'm sure it's miserable, but before you know it you'll have a sweet little baby in your arms that will make you forget all the discomfort you're going through now. The first thing my daughter and daughter-in-law couldn't wait to eat after having their babies was also sushi! Can't blame you. I love it! The dragon bowl was so so good. I'll have to let you know if it's still on the menu when we go in July, assuming Y&Y will be open. I will be doing another dining report. I'm going to try to vlog a little of the trip, too, just so I can remember what is was like at this point in time.
The lack of consistency is definitely frustrating. I want everyone to be safe and if masks are necessary so be it, but if thousands are gathering for protests then they can certainly open back up some shops and cafes.😒 I’m in dire need of a pedicure and a haircut I didn’t give myself!

Thank you! We’re very excited for our tadpole. I’m just a little bummed that because of coronavirus we probably won’t be able to go on a babymoon or visit my mom in Germany. DH also hasn’t been allowed into any appointments so far, so I’ve had to FaceTime him in so that he can see the sonogram and hear the heart beat. But my Ob assured me he’ll be able to be at the birth in January, so that’s something at least!

Fingers crossed for you guys to have a fun, safe trip in July and prayers for your sister to get answers about her medical issues. I'm still giggling about what you called the first Dr.🤭 I'm enjoying your report and can't wait to read more.

I just found out today that our hair and nail salons, as well as gyms, are opening June 22nd! I'm so so happy! I feel so bad about complaining about things like that when you can't even go visit your mom, and your husband isn't allowed in with you for your OB appointments. That is just so sad. I hope this all ends soon! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Don’t feel bad, it’s totally valid to feel sad about all the things the pandemic takes from us, regardless of scale. I’m so glad you’re getting salons & co. back soon, I hope we follow not too long after!

Thank you. I think the whole world could use some prayers right now! But on the whole I’ve seen a lot of people trying to find ways to stay connected and be kind to each other during this time, and that’s been really heartening.

I’ve just read your report from start to finish and I’m loving it! Thanks for helping pass the night ( I couldn’t sleep) and I’m glad you were able to feel a wee bit happier and update. I only have 1 grandson aged 2 and I am missing so much so I totally get it. I usually look after him while his parents work but thanks to some health issues and covid-19 I haven’t hugged him since St Paddy’s Day. Thankfully he gets to visit from our garden this last few weeks so while we can’t touch at least I’m seeing him and chatting. He’s funny though as he keeps trying to escape up the steps to us on the decking when he thinks his mum isn’t watching. Hopefully hugs will happen soon for us both. Won’t be long now until your July trip. Hoping your sister gets to the bottom of her health issues and is able to relax and enjoy the trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I'm here catching up, glad to see some nice memories from better times. I had been feeling rather bummed too, wasn't even feeling like reading any dining reports :eek: but my mood has improved a bit since restaurants reopened in my state and I was able to get a pedicure. Hopefully you'll be doing the same soon!

We also had a trip booked for July 11-18 and those dates were chosen purely coincidentally by me. But when reopening dates and the shortened hours were released, that was the nail in the coffin for us. I just can't see getting through the heat of a July day with a 5-year-old without an afternoon break and the shortened hours made that seem impossible. We're trying again for October. I can't wait to hear about your trip!!!

I love the looks of that Parisian Breakfast, but I'll probably never do it because it's such a gluten bomb. There's no way I could resist trying one of each pastry and then I would be ruined for a couple of days. I can eat very small amounts of gluten, like very lightly breaded items, without too much trouble. Occasionally, I do go for it with Via Napoli pizza because it's totally worth it. The Ahi Tuna Nachos at Y&Y are worth it too, one of my favorite dishes at WDW.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

I know how it is to have to deal with the Emergency Vet. On our trip in January we got a call from our friend saying our dog Ryker couldn’t use her back legs. So we had her take her to the vet and $300+ and being told that she probably wouldn’t make it she’s walking again even if she is a little wobbly! I hope everything goes well for Sammy!

Aww sorry to hear about your kitty, but glad everything worked out! Our male kitty had the same thing happen when he was around 8 years old, so scary! He ended up having surgery to remove the crystals from his bladder and now he’s on a lifelong prescription diet, ugh! Love reading your report and seeing all the photos, transports me back to my happy place 😊

That is some stressful stuff with the emergency vet visit, but I'm glad that you were able to get your kitty back on track. I hope he's feeling better and enjoying his water fountains. We had to get one of those when our cats were geriatric and it did encourage them to drink more so I hope you have the same result.

I wonder if our trips will overlap again. Our dates are October 14-24th, but the guys don't arrive until the evening of the 16th, giving my sister and I some girl time!
We'll be there the first week of October, so sadly we won't overlap this time. The July trip was a consolation trip for our Epic Disneyland May trip that was cancelled and we're still trying to get to some sort of Galaxy's Edge this year while my little boy is obsessed with Star Wars.

Oh I am soooo hungry right now! Seriously I am going to turn into a blob by the time lockdown is over here and I’m done shielding:scared1: luckily my husband is working from home and it makes getting near the kitchen hard unless I want to join the zoom calls:rotfl: Otherwise there’s be no hope for me and my ever increasing waistline:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter