A solo weekend Food and Wine Trip 9/29-10/1

Barbara C

First trip since Covid - leaving 4/10!!
Hi there -

There is my first report ever but I thought I'd show some of the food I got this past weekend at food and wine! It will be a quick report.

First - here's me and the boys:

me!.JPG

I'm Barbara and I'm a working mom. My DH and my 3 middle and high school kids stayed at home (much to their chagrin). I actually flew out Friday night and came back home on Monday night. The trip was actually long for what I was trying to accomplish but better long than short!

Since I got there later on Friday I stopped by Disney Springs and ended up getting a regular cheeseburger at D-Luxe. It was a good burger, nothing great but still good:

IMG_2424.jpg

The star of this night was dessert!
Ice cream.jpg

A hot fudge sundae with chocolate ice cream! It was delicious. I probably only ate less than half the ice cream but I think I managed to eat all of the hot fudge.

For the first two nights of this report I was staying off-site at Windsor Hills which is very close to WDW. We have a place there so I try to get there as much as possible but I just started a new job so I don't get there as often as I'd like to anymore. The last night of my trip I stayed Club Level at the Beach Club - my favorite!

So after my sundae I went home, unpacked, read and went to sleep.

Last edited:
I woke up bright and early on Saturday. Too early to go to the park! So I stopped by Krispy Kreme for a classic donut:

Krispy Kreme.jpg

It was warm and very yummy. More yummy than a donut should be.

I headed to Epcot and I got there around 8am. And then I stood in line for an hour! On my way in I asked if Food & Wine opened at 9am and was told yes - score! But wait....it really didn't open until 11am. Womp womp. Once the park opened at 9am I headed straight for Soarin' for my first ride of the trip. I literally walked right on. Then I rode Living with the Land - also a walk on. And now I was ready for Food - and wine!

I made my way to World Showcase only to find nothing was open - nothing! It wasn't even 10am yet and I found out it didn't open until 11. So I wandered around a bit and ended up in France at the Las Halles Boulangerie & Patisserie with this:

Lemon tart.jpg

A citron tart. It's basically lemon merinque pie. It was so good. I didn't eat the crust just because I don't like it but the pudding itself was delicious! So now I've had two breakfasts and no food or wine (I actually didn't drink this trip...).

I sat around France and spoke with a nice woman who was there for a class a the Festival Center that day. She lived nearby and goes to F&W every weekend - the life!

Finally, the gate was opened and I was on my way. My first stop was to get this:

Braised beed and gouda mashed potato.jpg

From Belgium - Beer Braised Beef with Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes. The beef was hard and chewy so I didn't eat any of it. The mashed potatoes were so good though and so I ate every bit. I could take this or leave it for future trips.

Up next was:

Pot roast.jpg

From Hops & Barley - New Brunswick Slider - a slow-braised beef brisket "pot roast style" with horseradish cream and crispy fried onions on a potato roll with pickled vegetables on the side. The beef, horseradish cream and crispy onions were delicious. The beef was tender - just the way I like it. The horseradish cream wasn't overpowering and the crispy onions provided the right touch. I didn't eat the roll and I can't even remember any picked vegetables but if they were there I'm sure I didn't eat them. This was a solid offering.

Next was:

Red curry with chickpeas.jpg

From India - Madras Red Curry with Roasted Cauliflower, Baby Carrots, Chickpeas and Basmati Rice. Another good choice! This was spicier than I thought it would be but I love spice so it was delicious. My only complaint would be it should have had more cauliflower but otherwise it was a home run. I don't think I finished this but I probably came close.

Coming in next was:

scallop cake with cold noodles.jpg

From Thailand - a Seared Shrimp and Scallop Cake with a Cold Noodle Salad. Sorry - I didn't love this one. I like shrimp and scallops but this tasted way too fishy for me. Even the noodles tasted fishy. I took two small bites and that was it for this one. Sorry!!

Next up:

Greek nachos.jpg

Greece! This was so good! Loaded "Greek" Nachos - Pita Chips, Meatless Sausage Crumbles and Vegan Tzatziki. Clearly I'm not vegan or vegetarian but these nachos were the winner for the day!! I have no idea what the meatless sausage really was but between this and the Tzatsziki - these were amazing! I could totally get these again - will I??

Up next was:

Mussells.jpg

From New Zealand - Steamed Green Lip Mussels with Garlic Butter and Toast Breadcrumbs. Ok - so I was already pretty full by the time I got these but again, I did not love them. I could stomach one mussel but that was it for this dish. It seemed a shame to throw them away but that's what I did! I wouldn't even give these a second try.

And that's it for my first day of F&W. I had to leave Epcot as I had a fastpass for Flights of Passage at Animal Kingdom so I had to get over there. I also rode Kali River Rapids and did the safari while I was there.

Tonight I had dinner at 'Ohana but I should have known better because I was so full from F&W. But I went! I completely forgot to take pictures but the food was okay. Magic Kingdom was open until midnight this night and I was really considering going but decided to go home and go to bed!

Last edited:
Great first day! I’m heading to F&W in two days! I can’t wait! Looking forward to the rest of your report!

On Sunday I took it easier as I knew F&W didn't open until 11. Tonight I was staying at the Beach Club so I got there around 9am and checked in. My room wasn't ready so I checked my bags and headed over to Epcot. I had another fastpass for Soarin' so I hopped on that first. I walked around a bit and ended up in Canada. It wasn't quite 11am but Canada opened early so I jumped in line for this:

Filet.jpg

Canada - Le Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle-Butter Sauce. OMG - this was sooooo good. I mean it was delicious. The piece of meat was huge (maybe because I was one of the first customers of the day???) and the mushrooms and the truffle butter were out of this world. I loved this! This was a great way to kick off F&W for today.

Up next was:

Hummus Fries.jpg

Morocco - Hummus Fries with Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Onions and Tzatziki sauce. These were good - not great but definitely solid. I'm not crazy about onions so I scrapped off all the vegetables but the Tzatziki and the Hummus Fries were very good. This is a filling dish and I probably ate a bit over one of the fries.

Up next was:

Carrot Cake.jpg

Back to Hops & Barley near the America Pavilion for - Freshly Baked Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Another winner!!! The carrot cake was warm and they poured the cream cheese frosting over it just prior to serving. There was plenty of frosting! I didn't expect to eat this entire thing but I did - it was that good. There is just something about the cream cheese in the frosting along with the carrots in the cake. Amazing!

Coming in next was:

Shrimp quesadilla.jpg

Mexico - Shrimp Quesadilla: - a Corn Tortilla with Shrimp, Oaxaca Cheese and topped with Spicy Guajillo Sauce and Sesame Seeds. Another home run! Again, I didn't think I was going to like this as much as I did. The Spicy Guajillo sauce was not really that spicy and was perfect compliment to the quesadilla. It could have used a few more sesame seeds as I love them but otherwise this was great.

And finally for today:

Pulled pork.jpg

From Hawaii - Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise. This was extremely mediocre. I didn't eat the bun and the Pineapple Chutney was almost non-existent. The pork was okay - nothing great but not inedible. I had a couple bits of the meat but that was it for this one.

I got a text my room was ready so off I went. I went to the pool for a bit (my favorite in all of WDW) and then hung out it my room until it was time for dinner. I ate at Cape May Cafe but again, I didn't take any pictures. I rushed my meal a bit because I had to get to MNSSHP! I hadn't been to Magic Kingdom yet was excited to go. I was on the bus to get there when my phone rang. I left my credit card and annual pass at Cape May!! The guy was very helpful and since I was staying at Beach Club, he left them at the front desk for me. Thankfully if I needed anything I could charge it to my magic band.

MNSSHP was awesome. I got the picture with dwarves above - I love them so much. I rode rides and got a bunch of other pictures. All in all it was a great night. I also managed to get some Halloween candy:

Halloween Candy.jpg

I got home at midnight and had to be up early the next day for Toy Story Land Early Morning Magic!

Last edited:

I woke up early, showered and was ready for my day to begin. I wanted to get to DHS early for our 7am start time. I called an Uber and it was an $8 ride - not bad all things considered! There is so much construction in the parking lot at DHS that I wasn't sure where to go once I got out of the Uber. Once I figured all that out I was on my way in. They herded us to breakfast first since Toy Story Land didn't open until 7:30. The meal was at the ABC commissary and you could order one of five entrees at the counter and then there was a buffet with pastries, cereal, juice and coffee. I tried the Smashed Avocado Toast Egg Plate and it was not good. The avocado definitely tasted off and I LOVE avocado. So I ate the egg and went up to try the Fried Chicken and Cinnamon Swirl French Donut Bowl. This also came with sweet potato tots. This was good but I'm really not a chicken for breakfast type of girl. I had a couple bits of chicken and a sweet potato tot. Now it was time for Toy Story Land.

Again- sorry, no pictures - I rode all three rides a couple of times and had my picture taken with Buzz Lightyear and I was done before 9am, when the park officially opened. So I went BACK to ABC Commissary and got another Coke Zero and tried the Mexican Corn Chilaquiles and Eggs Bowl. I wasn't really hungry so I picked out the chips and ate those and threw the rest away. The park finally opened so I rode Star Tours (for my son) and Tower of Terror (for my daughter), I bought my son a Star Wars shirt and I was done with DHS!

I took the boat back to the Beach Club because it was time for me to pack up and check out. Once that was done I headed back to Epcot. I went to the Festival Center first because I saw some annual passholders walking around with wooden cutting boards and I wanted one! Of course when I got there I found out you need to go to F&W four times and today was my third and final day so all I got was a magnet. Sigh.

I rode Spaceship Earth and then did Soarin' (again) and now it was time for more F&W! Up first was:

Skirt Steak.jpg

Flavors of Fire- Charred Chimichurri Skirt Steak on a Smoked Corn Cake with Pickled Vegetable Slaw and Cilantro Aïoli. I love skirt steak and this was another winner! The steak was tender and the corn cake was a nice addition. I didn't eat the veggies (again - onions - ew) but this was so good!

Up next was:

Slider.jpg

Earth Eats - The Steakhouse Blended Burger: Blended Beef and Wild Mushroom Slider with Brie Cheese Fondue, Arugula, Truffle and Blue Cheese Potato Chip on a Brioche Bun. I had a hard time choosing between this and the other offering The Impossible Burger Slider with Wasabi Cream and Spicy Asian Slaw on a Sesame Seed Bun but the cashier recommended the first and I chose that. This was excellent! The burger was good but the cheese fondue and arugula were the winners! I didn't eat the bread but it looked like a standard roll.

Coming in next was:

Scallops with butterbeans.jpg

Coastal Eats - Seared Scallops with Roasted Corn, Butterbean Succotash and Chili-chipotle Butter Sauce. I got this one last year and really liked it so I knew it would be just as good this year - and it was! The scallops were tender and delicious and the butterbeans (yum!) and corn were awesome!

Next was:

Braised beef with Boursin.jpg

The Cheese Studio - Braised Beef Stroganoff with Tiny Egg Noodles, Wild Mushroom and Boursin Garlic with Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce. This doesn't look too good but it was actually very tasty! I can't remember what that green thing across the top was though! The white stuff looks like corn but was actually the tiny egg noodles. I know I didn't eat all of this but I was really getting full.

And up last for this F&W adventure was:

Butternut Squash Ravioli.jpg

Wine and Dine Studio -Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Vinaigrette, Parmesan Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds. This was also very good but the brown butter vinaigrette made this, I think it would have been quite bland without it. Even though it was good I only ate one ravioli because I was stuffed!

I went back to the Beach Club and hung out for a while. I didn't need to leave for the airport until 6pm so I hung out in the club level lounge. I had gotten this cupcake at the Marketplace and even though I wasn't hungry, I ate it:

PB Cupcake.jpg

I didn't eat the hat (I think it was chocolate?) but the frosting was peanut butter which I love.

The lounge closed at 4pm so I went back to our townhouse at Windsor Hills where I hung out until it was time to leave for the airport.

It as a quick trip and I had an awesome time. And I gained 5.1 pounds!! Yikes!! So it's back to the diet for me.

Thanks for reading!

ice-cream-jpg.355664

A hot fudge sundae with chocolate ice cream! It was delicious. I probably only ate less than half the ice cream but I think I managed to eat all of the hot fudge.

Great report! This looks absolutely delicious. I've walked by this place a couple times, but have never ventured inside. I think I need to now.

scallop-cake-with-cold-noodles-jpg.355671

From Thailand - a Seared Shrimp and Scallop Cake with a Cold Noodle Salad. Sorry - I didn't love this one. I like shrimp and scallops but this tasted way too fishy for me. Even the noodles tasted fishy. I took two small bites and that was it for this one. Sorry!!
That's too bad this one wasn't very good. It looks and sounded good.

greek-nachos-jpg.355672

Greece! This was so good! Loaded "Greek" Nachos - Pita Chips, Meatless Sausage Crumbles and Vegan Tzatziki. Clearly I'm not vegan or vegetarian but these nachos were the winner for the day!! I have no idea what the meatless sausage really was but between this and the Tzatsziki - these were amazing! I could totally get these again - will I??
This looks delicious. I'm of course reading this while being hungry and your food pictures are not helping at all.

Canada - Le Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle-Butter Sauce. OMG - this was sooooo good. I mean it was delicious. The piece of meat was huge (maybe because I was one of the first customers of the day???) and the mushrooms and the truffle butter were out of this world. I loved this! This was a great way to kick off F&W for today.
Love this dish, we are serving it at our wedding I loved it that much.

You tried so many amazing dishes at Food and Wine I'm jealous, I don't normally make it to that many booths. We'll be going the last day of Food and Wine this year and I'm guessing it's going to be crazy busy so probably won't get to try many.

Looks like an amazing weekend! Love the photo of you and "the boys" -- super cute. I took notes on some of your favorites... I'm heading to the festival in a few weeks and can't wait! Thanks for sharing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter