A Thrill Seeker’s Guide to the Best Seats on Disney Coasters

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
So I honestly thought this DIS blog was going to address the topic in the title. But nope, it would appear it was written by a DisneyW:snooty:rld sn:snooty:b who thinks Fl:snooty:rida is the only place where Disney exists. :lmao:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...rs-guide-to-the-best-seats-on-disney-coasters

Well, I went on Disney coasters when DisneyWorld was still a swamp. Well, to be more specific, I went on a Disney coaster because there was only one - the Matterhorn, prior to 1971. :teacher: So HA!

OK, while I have been to Tokyo DR and DL Paris and think I might be at Shanghai DL later this year, and ignoring Hong Kong DL like everyone else does :laughing:, let's talk about the American Disney coasters.

For WDW I agree with the blog writer, although the biggest coaster where it makes a difference is BTMRR.

So for DLR...

BTMRR, same as WDW - sit in the back row. Just do it and don't ask questions. I promise you that is best.

Space Mtn - same as WDW, the front row is nice and probably best, but if you are like me your eyes will be watering once you get going and the cool air hits you right in the face. So anywhere is fine.

Matterhorn - really, it does not matter very much. Being in the front is slightly nicer just so you can see a bit better, but the ride is the same no matter where you sit.

Incredicoaster - It is fun to be in front, and worth it do it on occasion. But sitting near the back is better. Not hugely better, but better for when you go up that second hill. The front is better for the loop though.

Goofy's Sky School - Really! Does anyone ride that? OK, if you do ride it, and you can fit into those godawful small seats without bruising your knee caps, it still does not matter where you sit.

Gadget's Go Coaster - I have no idea. Ask a 3-year-old.

:wizard:

Last edited:
Great tips as always! Plus a good chuckle...

Goofy's Sky School - Really! Does anyone ride that? OK, if you do ride it, and you can fit into those godawful small seats without bruising your knee caps, it still does not matter where you sit.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ride Tron in the front row :thumbsup2
That experience alone is worth at trip to Shanghai :goodvibes
BTDT. We didn't ask to be in front. After we stood in line, and got to the loading area, the CM loading the bikes, directed us (the only 2 old, non-Chinese people in line) to the front bikes, bypassing the 3 younger couples in front of us. It's an eye-watering ride.....if you can keep your eyes open.

Last edited:

I actually only ride this in the back row. It looks like you are going to fly off the track in the front row and even though I know I won't, I still sit in the back row where it isn't as scary. I guess that means I recommend the front row for a thrill seeker.

There is so much to see in IJA and you move so fast around some areas that I have developed a preference for being in the front row.

:wizard:

Back row. The front is half way down the hill before it even starts to accelerate, in back it's a relatively fun little coaster. Haven't ridden it in years though. My kid moved up to SM (Ghost Galaxy at the time) and BTMRR when he was 3 and was doing Everest at WDW at 4.

For Space Mtn, I think the ride feels the most intense in the back row (it's mostly only noticeable at the first drop), but the projections (for Ghost Galaxy and HyperSpace) and music seem timed to the front of the vehicle. Also, you stand a better chance of being seen in the ride photo from the front row (of either car).

For Gadget's, there really isn't anything that is timed to any specific part of the vehicle, so it doesn't really matter where you sit. It's a small enough coaster that it doesn't really feel any different whether you're in the front or back.

There is also Splash, which is kind of like a coaster, but a lot wetter! :) I didn't think the ride intensity or view matters much based on where you're sitting, but you do get wet being in the front row!

I agree with all your recommendations. I always ask for the back seat on Big Thunder. Always. And I'm just not sure why the front seat is the best on Space, because the coaster is not very long, and it doesn't seem like it would make a big difference, but the front seat is just sooooooo much fun!!

Back row. The front is half way down the hill before it even starts to accelerate, in back it's a relatively fun little coaster. Haven't ridden it in years though. My kid moved up to SM (Ghost Galaxy at the time) and BTMRR when he was 3 and was doing Everest at WDW at 4.

Agreed! It's like BTMRR, the climb slows down the front, always ride in back. Gadget's is a quick but it's still fun, and if you do have a little with you it's a blast to watch their face.

We were on Goofy's Sky School with some teenagers once, they were in front. When we came around the corner at the end and you break hard one of the kids yelled out very loudly "The breaks are working!". It was pretty funny and I think about it every time we ride it now.

You totally forgot Splash Mt! So here's my review on where to sit:

Splash Mountain: It doesn't matter where you sit! It's the greatest ride ever! OK, the one thing I can say is don't get behind someone larger than you. You won't be able to see a thing. But if your whole point is to ride it because your enormous boyfriend/husband/uncle/cousin/youth-pastor begged you to ride it with him and you just want to not get wet, than by all means, sit behind him.

You totally forgot Splash Mt! So here's my review on where to sit:

Splash Mountain: It doesn't matter where you sit! It's the greatest ride ever! OK, the one thing I can say is don't get behind someone larger than you. You won't be able to see a thing. But if your whole point is to ride it because your enormous boyfriend/husband/uncle/cousin/youth-pastor begged you to ride it with him and you just want to not get wet, than by all means, sit behind him.
The WDW thread focused specifically on coasters - not thrill rides, and they did not mention Splash. So I didn't either. :)

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much all of these. Though I will say for Space at WDW, the back I think is more thrilling. I usually request the front because I like to have nothing in front of me so the wind makes it feel faster. But I noticed when I get placed in the back, you really get whipped down the small drops a lot more and it's very fun. Though for those who think WDW's Space is too rough, this would definitely be a negative.

BTMRR - row 13 (it's the front seat of the last car so you don't have people blocking your view directly in front)
Matterhorn and space - if you can't be in the front, be in the front of any of the other cars so you can see)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter