Keep Moving Forward: A Training Log (Comments Welcome)

Happy Labor Day, gang. No news on the house this week, but I'm hoping for some positive developments in the coming days. I'm still planning, training and budgeting as if we'll be going to WDW in January. Just trying to keep those positive vibes going strong.

The run toward 1,000 miles continued this week...

Tuesday
4 miles @ 9:26/mile. Nothing significant that I can recall.

Wednesday
4 miles @ 9:16/mile. This one was mildly interesting because we had a huge storm roll through the night before, so there was tree debris everywhere. It was still relatively cool that morning, too, which made for a pleasant run.

Friday
4 miles @ 9:17/mile. Nothing to report.

Saturday
6 miles @ 9:10/mile. Had to wait until late morning to get this run in due to more rain. Made for a muggy and toasty run. Lots of muddy sidewalks, too, which isn't ideal. But, I didn't have to deal with construction or swarms of traffic cones like last weekend, so I'm calling it a win.

Sunday
9 miles @ 9:28/mile. This was supposed to be a LR (9:58/mile) workout, but it was a little on the quick side. Tried my best to stick to the pace and it actually felt really good.

I'm spending some time during my runs thinking about how I want to approach Dopey. Thanks to my PR during the CRANDIC marathon, I'm not really concerned about time, just finishing each race upright. That said, I'd like to see if I can beat my previous Disney Marathon time of about 4 hours and 22 minutes. If I could hit the 4 hour mark, that'd be pretty rad. On the other hand, I don't know how my legs are going to feel that day. I'm hoping to do the half at about a 10 minute/mile pace with some character stops, so that should save my legs a bit, especially if I'm not going all out for the 5K and 10K. Anyway, there's still plenty of time to figure that out and weather could play a huge role in my approach, too.

Miles This Week: 27
Year To Date: 931

Quick update:

Same running schedule as the past few weeks. I think I got about 27 miles in for the week, plus 4 more this morning.

I had my first “brr” moment last week. Went out in short sleeves with upper 50s for temp. Felt good, though.

This morning it was 50 degrees at 6:15 and I went out in long sleeves.

Countdown to 1,000 miles: 962!

Pretty standard running week this past week, so I'm going to skip that recap and look ahead to what should be a pretty exciting week...

• Dopey 2019 training officially starts on Tuesday! I got my custom plan yesterday and it looks awesome. Even though I'm not going for any PRs, this plan definitely looks like it could kick my butt a bit, which is exactly what I need. I can't wait to see how the next four months go.
  • Should everything goes as planned, I will officially hit 1,000 miles run in 2018 on Saturday. It feels pretty exciting to hit this goal, which I set at the beginning of the year. Aside from a nice, round number, it means I have stayed healthy and stuck with my training throughout the year.
  • While nothing it imminent with the house, we are continuing to make progress, get bids and get all of our finances in order. I'm increasingly confident we're going to pull this off. As a celebration, I might go ahead and re-up my Touring Plans subscription and start plotting out our vacation. Nerd alert: playing around on Touring Plans is pretty much my favorite part of planning a Disney trip.
So, anyway, it should be a good week!

Miles This Week: 27
Year To Date: 985!

1000.jpg

Boom.

Biggest news of the week is on Saturday morning I hit my goal of running 1,000 miles in 2018. I figured this would be a viable goal when I set it at the beginning of the year, but you never really know what to expect. Injuries or other issues can come up and derail plans. I feel super fortunate to have stayed healthy enough to hit that goal and hope that my good health continues through January. Included in these past 1,000 miles are unofficial (unchipped) PRs for 1K, 1 mile, 5K, 10K and half and an official PR for the marathon.

Special thanks to @DopeyBadger for getting me to this milestone and helping me check off those PRs.

Of equally big news was starting a new training plan on Tuesday. It definitely has me feeling re-energized and ready to work my butt off for the next few months.

Speaking of training...

Tuesday
4 miles @ EA (10:03/mile) Average speed was 10:04/mile, so even though my individual miles were a little sporadic, I stayed within range. Standard 4-mile run otherwise.

Wednesday
WU + .5 mile @ T (7:48/mile) w/1 mile RI + CD. Speed work! Long time no see, old friend. I jogged to the nearby track for my warm-up, which is more like 1.3 miles and then started pounding track. I don't have individual breakdowns on my T intervals, but I was on the fast side by probably 20-30 seconds. Not entirely unexpected given how long it's been since I've done any speed training. All in all, it felt good to hit the track and open things up a bit (by my slow standards!).

Friday
4 miles @ EA (10:03/mile). Averaged 9:58/mile, so not too shabby. It's pretty much pitch black at 6:15 a.m. when I've been starting my runs, so this coming week, I'm going to shift back to running in the afternoon. Hopefully, it won't get too hot again, but you never know in Iowa.

Saturday
6 miles @ EB (9:22/mile). A little on the fast side, as I averaged 9:12/mile. I'm going to chalk a little bit of that up to excitement. I knew that at mile 3 or so, I'd be hitting the 1,000 mile mark. I'll be honest, the superstitious side of me wondered if I'd wipe out or get hit by a car at 999 miles and leave me laid up until Jan. 1, 2019. But, Mile 1,000 came and went without fanfare, as did the rest of the run. Gorgeous morning, too.

Sunday
7 miles @ LR (9:01/mile). Averaged 8:55/mile, but I don't know how much I trust that or the distance. Strava or my GPS were off during the first mile. I looked down after a tenth of a mile and saw my speed at something like 30:45/mile and with no distance covered. At half a mile I was at .3 miles and a pace of something like 16:00. When I hit the point that I know for a fact to be one mile, I was only at .08, so something definitely wasn't registering right.

Ultimately, that threw me a bit off for the remainder of the run since I really didn't know what to trust in terms of distance and speed, though I think it corrected itself in mile two. My three miles were definitely on the fast side (if the timing is to be believed) and I had to rein it in for the second half. No big deal at this point in the training.

Miles This Week: 25.5
Year To Date: 1,011!

Congrats on the 1000 miles!
Have you looked at Strava since you finished Sunday's run? I know it doesn't help mid-run, but I know that occasionally after my run ends, Strava will correct GPS anomalies. I don't know if for me that's because of something with how it gets the data from Garmin or if it's a general feature, but it's worth taking a look to see if maybe it has more accurate paces.

Congrats on the 1000 miles!
Have you looked at Strava since you finished Sunday's run? I know it doesn't help mid-run, but I know that occasionally after my run ends, Strava will correct GPS anomalies. I don't know if for me that's because of something with how it gets the data from Garmin or if it's a general feature, but it's worth taking a look to see if maybe it has more accurate paces.

I have not, but thanks for the advice! I’ll look into that.

A little late to the party.... ("the party don't start 'til..") but CONGRATS ON 1000 MILES!!!

(I had a really hard time typing "don't" even though it's how the song goes. I do know my grammar ;) )

Thanks to everyone who congratulated me on the 1,000 mile milestone. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next 1,000 miles bring (Dopey!).

But hey, no time to sit and enjoy the accomplishment. There are races to train for!

Tuesday
4 miles @ EA (10:03/mile) - Actual average mile time was 9:52, so pretty close. I had intended on switching entirely to afternoon/evening runs by this point, but there was rain in the forecast for Tuesday afternoon, so I did another morning run. It's so dark in the morning now!

Wednesday
2 mi @ WU + 8 x 200m @ R (51 seconds) w/ 200m RI @ WU + 1 mi @ CD - This ended up being a slightly interesting run thanks to the high school homecoming parade going on Wednesday evening that staged at the park right across from my house and was set to finish at the track where I was planning to do my speedw work. So the warm up (more like 1.3) miles was a lot of avoiding spectators set up along the route. I was well ahead of the parade by the time I got to the track, so I didn't have to worry *too* much about getting my work in, but I still probably cut it a little close.

I don't have official times for my R segments, but I recall them being a shade on the fast side (~5-6 seconds). No big deal.

Oh the way home, I went wide of the parade route for my cool down (approx. 1.5 miles).

Friday
6 miles @ EB (9:22/mile) - actual average was 9:09/mile, so again, a little on the fast side, but not terribly so. Nothing else remarkable about this run. It was a little misty, but it was tolerable.

Saturday
Race Day! A few weeks ago, one of my longtime buddies The Toddfather, asked if I wanted to do the Kickoff To Kinnick 5K again. We'd done it a couple years ago, it's an easy run and I figured why not?

I'd planned on running a pretty easy race alongside Toddfather, but I know from past experience that he doesn't want me to hang back with him. So, I ran the first mile with him and that came in around 8:43. After that, he started breathing a little harder and slowed down a bit, so I took that as my cue to go run my race. I picked up the pace, grabbed a little water at 1.5 miles and Mile 2 came in at 8:18.

With only a mile to go, I started in on my tried and true race "technique" - identify the one person in front of me that I don't want to "lose" to, pass them and repeat with the next person. I picked up the pace a bit to get past a few folks and Mile 3 came in at 7:32.

But, then something kind of silly happened. I'm running along the outside of Kinnick Stadium where the race ends and this guy comes up behind me, pushing a stroller and moving like a bat out of hell. Now, I'm not about to "lose" to a guy pushing a stroller (neglecting the fact that he had been pushing a stroller for 3 miles and was right there alongside me, which definitely gives him the bragging rights), so I pick up the pace. SO DOES HE! So, I go even faster and take a hard right into the stadium, where I figured I'd lose him. But no! He takes a hard right, too! I'm thinking this dude is going to spill, but he must've known what he was doing. I pick up the pace, cut across the concourse and make a hard left down a ramp to the field and stroller dude is right there with me. One more tight hair pin and we're on the field with 100 feet to go to the finish line and I just open 'er up. I sprinted across the finish line just ahead of stroller dude.

I checked my paces later and saw that final 10th of a mile came in at 5:23. Oops! Really, it was a good way to get hurt and have nothing to show for it, but I felt fine after and I have a sweet finisher's medal (along with 4,300 other people). Time - 25 minutes, pace 8:04/mile

medal.jpg

P.S. The building in the background just outside of the stadium is the Stead Family Children's Hospital. If you've ever heard of "The Wave" that takes place during University of Iowa football games (look it up if you haven't, it's pretty touching), that's the hospital we wave to.

Sunday
11 miles @ LR (9:01/mile). I set out around 9 a.m. Sunday morning. It was overcast, but wasn't too cool, probably about 50. About a mile into my normal route, I deviated from my path figuring I'd squeeze an extra half mile in that way. Well, I got to a part of town I'd never run through before and just kept going, turning wherever I felt like and just going wherever the sidewalk took me. Definitely got crossed up a few times (never lost, but was definitely heading south when I thought I was going east at one point and came out in a completely different spot than what I was expecting), but it was fun to just run and enjoy some new surroundings. It made the first half of the run pretty enjoyable.

Pace-wise, I was a little on the fast side (8:26/mile - 8:53/mile). I wasn't trying to go "too fast," but I guess I didn't make much of an effort to ease up, either. I just settled into a groove that felt good and I stuck with it. I do need to do better about sticking to the plan, though. I'll try to remember that for next time.

Iowa City Run for the Schools half marathon in two weeks!

Miles This Week: 28.9
Year To Date: 1,039

HOW COOL! The Wave is probably my favorite tradition in all of college football. I am not an Iowa fan, but I'd love to experience it in person one day. Great job!

HOW COOL! The Wave is probably my favorite tradition in all of college football. I am not an Iowa fan, but I'd love to experience it in person one day. Great job!

I'm pretty cynical about a lot of stuff, but I have to admit that it's really cool. I experienced it in person for the first time this season during a night game. It was way cool

Great race and I was totally caught up in the story about the race between you and stroller dude!

Ha! Thanks. I definitely got caught up in the moment. I was determined not to let that guy get past me and I imagine he was thinking the same thing about me. Dude was booking it around some sharp corners, I thought for sure he was going to wipe out.

Bragging rights though. Hahahaha.

Awesome job!

That's resume material right there! Thanks!

Day late on updating here. My wife was out of town for five days. That made getting an update (and the runs themselves) in a little tricky. But, I (mostly) made it!

Tuesday
5 miles @ EA - actual run: nothing. I can't remember now if it was storming that morning or if I didn't sleep well the night before, but I didn't run in the morning, which had been my original plan. After work, I volunteered at a networking event and had every intention of getting my run, but I didn't get home until 7 and I was beat.

Wednesday
Speed work over at the track - 5 miles total @ 8:10/mile pace (average). Oooh boy, it was a hot one after work for this. Mid-80s. I did make it over to the track for 200s and 400s, but man it was toasty. This one kicked my butt big time.

Friday
5 miles @ EA (10:03) BLIND - Actual run 5 miles @ 9:19/mile pace. Yikes. Time for Operation Slowdown to recommence. I judged this entirely on effort and it felt like an EA run, but obviously my internal speedometer is off.

Saturday
5 miles @ EB (9:22) - Actual run 5 miles @ 9:15/mile. Much closer to hitting the mark. Did I mention it was rainy and gross ALL WEEKEND and that I was solo parenting three kids 12 and under. Getting my miles in was a challenge, but I managed to get it done.

Sunday
5 miles @ LR (9:01) Actual run 5 miles @ 8:55/mile. Not too shabby.

The half marathon is on Sunday and the forecast looks like it's alternating between ideal and crappy. The temperature is about right (mid-40s), but it might rain. Rain and mid-50s just two hours just sounds miserable. This race also feels like it kind of snuck up on me, even though I've known it was coming.

Miles This Week: 25
Year To Date: 1,060

Back at it for another week!

Tuesday
4 miles @ 9:24/mile. A bit faster than my EA pace, but part of that was thanks to gravity and going downhill. Really working on hitting my appropriate paces.

Wednesday
Speed work! 5.8 @ 8:37/mile. Actual workout was 1 mi 3 sets of (200m R + 200m WU + 200m R + 400m WU + 400m R + 200m WU) + 1 mi @ CD. I stuck to the plan/times pretty closely. The biggest thing I noticed was the temperatures. A week ago this time, it was 85. On this night, it was more like 55 and dropping. Also, there were some high school girls working out on the track at the same time and I find that super awkward. I just want to wear a big sign that says, "I'm not a creep."

Friday
4 miles @ 9:49/mile. Hey! That's much closer to the EA pace. Also, I ran this after work on Friday and came home expecting maybe 5 or 6 miles. When I saw it was only 4, I actually said, "Thank you, Billy" out loud.

Saturday
8 miles @ 9:12/mile. Also pretty close to my EB pace. Nice eight mile run to get me stretched out for Sunday's half marathon. My knees felt a little achy after the run, however. I took that as a sign to replace my shoes, which were close to due, anyway. I picked up a pair of Hoka Bondi 6s Saturday afternoon.

Sunday
Half marathon race! 13.2 miles @ 8:21. So, Sunday was the Iowa City Run for the Schools, which I've done four times now. Three of those races have been half marathons (the only official half marathons of my short-lived running career). The plan was to run this race at LR (9:01/mile).

It was pretty brisk this morning, about 42 at start time. I somehow woke up at 5, got out of bed at 6 and had a bagel w/cream cheese and some Powerade. Around 7 I got ready and at 8 my wife dropped me off downtown near the starting line. The race started at 9, so I stayed inside the nearby rec center for warmth, stretching, etc.

When the race started, I got into a roughly 8:30/mile groove. I figured it was that bit of adrenaline that you get at the start of a race and I'd settle in a little bit, but more or less maintained that pace. The pace felt good, even though I knew I was on the fast side and I decided to stick with it. I was moving at a good (for me) clip, but didn't feel like I was pushing too hard.

Anyway, around mile 8 or so I realized that at my current pace I could be looking at a PR. That gave me some motivation to keep pushing, especially up some of the hills (Iowa is not flat, folks!). As the miles ticked down I realized I was getting closer and closer to hitting that PR. The last mile has a significant quarter mile uphill, but then the final quarter mile is downhill. I chugged up the hill and then pushed it down to the finish line.

I haven't checked chip times, but Strava has me doing 13.2 in 1:50:40 and 13.1 in 1:49:46, which beats my unofficial HM PR from the CRANDIC marathon.

So, I ended my official race season the way I started it back in April - with a solid race and a new PR. I turn 35 in one week and it feels really good to know that I'm getting stronger, faster and healthier even as I'm getting older. I hope he's not getting sick of this yet, because I want to thank @DopeyBadger for giving me the tools I need to be the best runner I can be.

Onward to the Dopey Challenge!

Miles This Week: 35
Year To Date: 1,095

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!