A Tipsy Tenth Dining Adventure - Completed 9/28

Now that would be great. Tipsy comments on tipsy notes!!!

:rotfl2: Got too tipsy to make it happen this time but who knows what the future may hold!!:drinking1:rotfl:
Happy Anniversary!!!!! Hope you all had a great night
We did :thumbsup2
I haven't heard them called this, but did see something like that in Savannah, Georgia. Though the pedaling part does not sound like a "fun" experience to me!
We are obviously of the same mind! Why anyone would think it's fun to pedal the legs of yourself while trying to have a cocktail or two makes no sense to me! :confused3 Sounds way too much like hard work plus there's the whole fitness thing which obviously I'm not!:rotfl:
Is it bad that I don't even know what a Loki is????
:confused3Me either!

Here's my attempt at a translation.......btw, the tipsy notes are brilliant!!
Sweet potato bread nice and lite like buttah but not sure what it
The bread was nice and light, you like the butter but weren't sure what was in it.
Jason negroni like becAus can’t taste burboun he doesn’t like because of sam thing
Jason liked/disliked his drink for the same reason.
Me filet best had improperly cooked perfect not as chars as others but seasoned well and decidedly tender. Sauce adds complex’s without taking away Brussels nice and county parsnips fine but didn’t flav
You had the filet which wasn't as charred as others but well seasoned and tender. You like the brussel sprouts but the parsnips didn't have a lot of flavour.
Mac and chess wagging and elk on top more complex tha. Beef. Good spice def nutmeg flavor but inside of others love almonds add niceand raisins for sweet to add nice co contest actually mac needed slight more cheese but up all the rest
SO the mac and cheese had elk rather than beef which you thought was a more complex dish. The mac and cheese could have used more cheese. You like the spices, nutmeg was predominant and the almonds and raisins added sweetness and a nice contrast.
CAsey loved she Brussels first
Casey loves brussel sprouts!
Casey so good got to paint own cookie
Casey was so well behaved she got a paint your own cookie.
Dessert bring without asking to thank us for being f good patrons Jason and j. Downiest widget chocolate mouse fine not what I would have ordered but feee
Chocolate mouse for dessert which was okay but free so why not.
Jaso. Short ribs line am always can eat to your Loki g sambal really got short rib Cooked well don’t know what spinach and bean picture undefneat was but very tasty could have eaten axxeotamand with our meet so good ten out of ten would age. It again.
Jason went for the short ribs which was cooked well, the sambal was good and you really liked the spinach and bean mixture. You gave this a 10/10 and would order it again.
Save fitty
You saved $50.00 using TiW.

How'd I do??

Bad photo shoot

This is a nice photoshoot! You are 100% right her and Dillon would totally get along!

These notes are amazing as always! I think the shot ribs are good, Casey was well behaved, your drink was to strong, Casey loved the Brussels sprouts. You wouldn't have ordered that desert but hell it was free and you saved $50 with TIW... i got all the easy ones i am sure of it!

:rotfl2: Got too tipsy to make it happen this time but who knows what the future may hold!!:drinking1:rotfl:
That a girl! Sounds like it was a perfect night.

We are obviously of the same mind! Why anyone would think it's fun to pedal the legs of yourself while trying to have a cocktail or two makes no sense to me! :confused3 Sounds way too much like hard work plus there's the whole fitness thing which obviously I'm not!
I'm so with you. The only thing fitness should have to do with cocktails is the arm curl to get it in your mouth. Unless there is a straw, than no need for anything!!

How'd I do??
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!! You did brilliant and may have actually helped me figure a few of them out :earboy2:

This is a nice photoshoot! You are 100% right her and Dillon would totally get along!
She never met a mirror or a camera she didn't love!

These notes are amazing as always! I think the shot ribs are good, Casey was well behaved, your drink was to strong, Casey loved the Brussels sprouts. You wouldn't have ordered that desert but hell it was free and you saved $50 with TIW... i got all the easy ones i am sure of it!
East or not, thanks for playing along at home :D

Dessert bring without asking to thank us for being f good patrons Jason and j. Downiest widget chocolate mouse fine not what I would have ordered but feee
That was nice of them to give you a free dessert. It does look like it has a little too much chocolate, though. Sometimes just a nice ice cream sundae would be ideal. :) There is a definite lack of ice cream at WDW.

She was practicing for her planned career as a model. I don't have the heart to tell her with a 5 5" Mom and a 5'6" Dad she may want to rethink that
It would be the perfect height for a gymnast, though. :)

Jiko Translated

As promised, based upon my "notes" and memory, here is what I believe actually occurred during our Jiko meal.

We were able to score a last minute reservation via Open Table to one of our favorite Disney Restaurants: Jiko. We ubered over and checked out the Savanna where we tried to get a few photos before dinner.

Clearly this was largely a photo fail!

We were seated quickly and were given a mint tea to start the meal.

We also received some of their delicious sweet potato bread which was nice and light. It also had a great butter to accompany it. It had a different flavor to it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Notice "The Scream" going down behind the bread.

Jason and I each decided to start with a cocktail to get our Jiko party started. I went with the Out of Africa which is Cachaca, House made Mixed Berry Syrup, Lime Juice, and Allspice.

None of their drink options appealed to me much and I have no idea what possessed me to order this, but it Was. Not. Good. It was too strong even for my tipsy liking and WAY too sweet (I don't like sweet drinks) but I of course found a way to drink it all anyway. It also came with a glow cube, which should have been a sign I'd hate this, but Casey was thrilled.

Jason got what I thought was a negroni, but since that doesn't appear to be on the menu I'm gonna go with he got the African Old Fashioned with Bains African Whiskey, Orange Bitters, and Madagascar Vanilla.

He didn't care for this because he couldn't taste the whiskey. I however liked it, because you couldn't taste the whiskey. :earboy2:

We had an amazing severy named Onsy (which Casey kept saying as Onesie), who had been working at Jiko since they opened. He was warm and attentive and clearly was proud of the restaurant and its food. He was probably one of the best servers we've ever had and I'm not just saying that because he poured us our very own little wine tasting to help us decide on a bottle. :drinking1

While my notes indicate we either went with goose can wine or one of out the amazon, my photo indicates we went with the 2013 Tokara Directors Reserve Red Blend from South Africa.

As I recall this was the most expensive of the wines we tasted, but it was well worth the extra price. It was a predominately Cab blend that had a lot of tannins and some nice heat, which is what I love in a red wine.

For entree's Casey and I split the Oak Grilled Filet Mignon with parsnip mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts.

The filet was not as charred as Yachtsman does their steaks (which is my fav on property) but it was perfectly cooked, tender, and well seasoned. I'm not normally a fan of sauce on steak, but this was a red wine sauce that augmented the flavor instead of taking away from it. The potatoes were nothing special as the parsnips didn't add much to the equation, but the sprouts were burnt and crispy which means they were perfection. Casey liked them so much she ate all her brussels sprouts before touching anything else.

Jason ordered the
Botswana Seswaa-style Beef Short Rib with Istambu Samp and Beans, Sambal, Sukuma Wiki, and Mushrooms.

While I have no idea what those ingredients are except for the short rib (and refuse to acknowledge the existence of the m-word 🍄) this was delicious. The sambal sauce had a great heat and worked well with the very tender short ribs. Jason liked that you could add a little or a lot of the sauce to your liking (Eureka! I figured out Loki). We had no idea what the samp and beans was, but it was delicious and Jason commented that he could have just eaten this. He gave this a 10 out of 10 and said he would definitely order it again.

We also ordered a side of the Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese which has Four Cheeses, Elk, Wagyu, Almonds, Raisins, and Cape Malay Curry.

For those of you like me who love the bobotie (or bootie as auto correct seems to insist upon) at Tusker House or Boma, this is 1000% times better and definitely the best mac and cheese I've ever had. While I'll admit "mac and cheese" is a little loose here as it wasn't all that cheesy, the elk and wagyu combo added tremendous flavors of curry and nutmeg and complexity that I've never had. We also loved the crunch the almonds provided and the sweet contract from the raisins. I'm dreaming of getting this again in August!

We had a family sitting at the table next to us, whose kids appeared to be about the same age as Casey but there were a. not well behaved and b. not having any of the Jiko food. The mother kept asking them why they couldn't behave or eat as well as the girl at the next table (aka Casey). Onsy was impressed by her too and brought her this.

I often say I hit the kid lottery and moments like this make me appreciate her all the more. She loved the cookie and brownie and had fun both playing with and eating her food.

Onsy also brought us a complimentary dessert just to thank us for being good patrons. We'd talked a lot during dinner about food and wine so I think he appreciated our appreciation of all that Jiko has to offer.

While we'd planned on ordering another dessert and this was just ok, I'll take free any day of the week.

Jiko had long been our favorite signature on property, but the last few trips California Grill had eclipse it. After this meal that was no longer the case and we can't wait to go back and hopefully dine with Onsy again. Our wine must have been pretty pricy because with our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $50.

Thanks to everyone for indulging my tipsy game and sticking through what I think is the real translation. And major props to Susan aka @suse66 for being able to discern just as much from my tipsy notes as me!

Up next...Snacks it’s whats for lunch!!!

Last edited:

That was nice of them to give you a free dessert. It does look like it has a little too much chocolate, though. Sometimes just a nice ice cream sundae would be ideal. :) There is a definite lack of ice cream at WDW.
It was, but you are so right on the chocolate. I like a good bar of chocolate, but am not always a fan of chocolate flavored things. I'm not a huge ice cream fan, but coming up in a few posts we went to Ample Hills for the first time and it was amazing!!!

It would be the perfect height for a gymnast, though. :)
You got that right!!!

Just caught up. Fab trip and love the tipsy notes. I intend to try and keep tipsy notes myself this summer🤣🤣

I've been quietly following along and finally am popping in to say hi. I love your DRs and this has been so much fun to read. Love Casey's outfit from your night at Jiko!

So exciting that you got to go on a girls' trip with friends from the DR board. I think I need to come around these parts more!

So great when your kids gets props at a restaurant! We are sometimes your table and sometimes the other 😔 But hell I’ll take the sometimes I’m your table!

Glad you enjoyed your meal so much, makes me want to eat here for sure!

We were able to score a last minute reservation via Open Table to one of our favorite Disney Restaurants: Jiko. We ubered over and checked out the Savanna where we tried to get a few photos before dinner.
This is such a great pic!! You all look fabulous! Joe and I really need to get our butts over to Jiko. After your stellar review, I'm in more of a hurry to check this restaurant out.

We had a family sitting at the table next to us, whose kids appeared to be about the same age as Casey but there were a. not well behaved and b. not having any of the Jiko food. The mother kept asking them why they couldn't behave or eat as well as the girl at the next table (aka Casey). Onsy was impressed by her too and brought her this.
Of course, she is well behaved!!! She's perfect!!!! It's obvious her parents taught her restaurant etiquette a looooong time ago. DUH!

Welcome to what I cannot believe is my 10th Dining Report!!!

For those of you unfamiliar with us please let me introduce you to me and my very well-mannered family.
View attachment 394549
That’s me, Kari, on left along with my husband, Jason, and our daughter Casey. We are Washingtonians and Disney World veterans traveling once or twice a year since Casey was two.

For those of you who have followed along on our nine previous adventures you know the pictures above are lies, all lies, because 9 out of 10 of our pictures are more like this.
View attachment 394545

We are a small but mighty Disney foodie family who takes our meals and foodography very, very seriously.

View attachment 394542

Speaking of serious, this is vacation after all and it wouldn’t be one of our dining reports without some tipsy adventures.

View attachment 394543

View attachment 394546
'
This trip marked a milestone as our very mild-mannered Casey turned 8 the day we left and celebrate the whole week she did.

She even completed her first RunDisney 5K.
View attachment 394547

Also joining us was my best friend D, who was back for her 2nd Disney go around, and her high school friend whose name also starts with D, so we’ll go with D2.

This was D2’s first time in Disney and despite having a bad cold she did enjoy it.

To wet your appetite this report will include lots of signature dining, plenty of table services, a rare counter service or two, a few DisMeets, and of course copious amounts of this…

View attachment 394544

So sit back, pour yourself your preferred adult beverage, and join me in very tipsy 10th dining report.
View attachment 394548

Table of Contents

Day 1, February 21st
Evergreen's (Shades of Green)

Day 2, February 22nd
Princess 5k
The Plaza

Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

Day 3, February 23rd
Nomad's Lounge
Sanaa

Day 4, February 24th
Grand Floridian Cafe

Raglan Road

Day 5, February 25th
Festival of the Arts

Jiko - Tipsy Notes
Jiko - Translation

How have I missed this one!? 🤦‍♀️I’m here now though! Although I’m actually at work, so I’ll be back later to catch up on all the delicious details!:drinking1

I've been following along with your fabulous trip reports for awhile now and just wanted to pop in here and say how much I enjoy them! This one has been especially great and the tipsy notes are my favorite :drinking1 From one wine lover to another, I am getting some great suggestions for future wines in the world. We have a pretty similar eating/drinking style and I'm over here taking notes from the expert:thumbsup2

here is what I believe actually occurred during our Jiko meal.
Are you sure? I think your tipsy notes already summed it up quite well :rotfl:

It also came with a glow cube, which should have been a sign I'd hate this, but Casey was thrilled.
:rotfl2:

(Eureka! I figured out Loki).
Thank goodness. I was really struggling to make any connection. The only think I could come up with was a vague memory of @chunkymonkey dressing as Loki on her cruise? I think? :laughing:

bobotie (or bootie as auto correct seems to insist upon)
Auto correct, Kari? :upsidedow

I often say I hit the kid lottery and moments like this make me appreciate her all the more.
You absolutely did. But I think you and Jason probably had a lot to do with that, too. :goodvibes

And major props to Susan aka @suse66 for being able to discern just as much from my tipsy notes as me!
:worship: to @suse66

Little late to the translation game but here I go:

Start with mint tea new

Obviously this was a new batch of mint tea.

Sweet potato bread nice and lite like buttah but not sure what it

The food looks good from the back BuTTAH face...looks like Casey is doing The Scream

Out of Africa cocktail very strong and a bit too sweet for me GLOW CUBE
Obviously you only got this for the glow cube.

Jason negroni like becAus can’t taste burboun he doesn’t like because of sam thing
There was someone named Sam who wronged Jason over some Negroni issue, so now Jason can't taste bourbon because of Sam. Sam is no longer a friend. Sam is sad.

Me filet best had improperly cooked perfect not as chars as others but seasoned well and decidedly tender. Sauce adds complex’s without taking away Brussels nice and county parsnips fine but didn’t flav
Practically imperfect in every way.
Mac and chess wagging and elk on top more complex tha. Beef. Good spice def nutmeg flavor but inside of others love almonds add niceand raisins for sweet to add nice co contest actually mac needed slight more cheese but up all the rest
The poor wagging elk!

Free is always good despite what is tastes like and it looks like there are mickey sprinkles which is always a plus. And you have another husband who also begins with J.
Jaso. Short ribs line am always can eat to your Loki g sambal really got short rib Cooked well don’t know what spinach and bean picture undefneat was but very tasty could have eaten axxeotamand with our meet so good ten out of ten would age. It again.
Loki makes good sambal when he's undefeated, which Jason would definitely eat again but you'd have to age 10 years and eat it with an axe.

giphy.gif

It also came with a glow cube, which should have been a sign I'd hate this, but Casey was thrilled.
Hmmmm, must be where the excitement we sensed came from. You were channeling Casey!
He didn't care for this because he couldn't taste the whiskey. I however liked it, because you couldn't taste the whiskey. :earboy2:
I would be on your side!
Casey liked them so much she ate all her brussels sprouts before touching anything else.
:scared1:
Just kidding. I have decided I like brussels sprouts now and your meal looks delicious!
Four Cheeses
Yum
Yum
Also, I feel like I should find elk on the menu more at home since it's basically the state bird :confused3 :laughing:
Yummmm
I can hang
You lost me.
:P
For those of you like me who love the bobotie (or bootie as auto correct seems to insist upon) at Tusker House or Boma, this is 1000% times better and definitely the best mac and cheese I've ever had. While I'll admit "mac and cheese" is a little loose here as it wasn't all that cheesy, the elk and wagyu combo added tremendous flavors of curry and nutmeg and complexity that I've never had. We also loved the crunch the almonds provided and the sweet contract from the raisins. I'm dreaming of getting this again in August!
Ok, maybe I'm convinced now. I did like the bootie at Boma :P I did have to google it to make sure I was on the same page as you and your bootie (sorry I had two hours of sleep so now I think I'm funny :rotfl2: ) and now am more excited to eat there in 6 days! But this dish looks delicious and so did both of your entrees and now I just really want to go to Jiko because we haven't made it there yet.

All of this is a very longwinded way to say, I just really hate raisins...
The mother kept asking them why they couldn't behave or eat as well as the girl at the next table (aka Casey).
Because she has the most awesome parents ever, duh.
I often say I hit the kid lottery and moments like this make me appreciate her all the more. She loved the cookie and brownie and had fun both playing with and eating her food.
Casey, master of all (food) trades. I'm always seriously amazed by her tastes though, because I was awful and had a pretty small list of things I would eat until I went off to college. I have only branched out majorly in the last 10 years.

Oh my goodness your tipsy notes are legendary! I'm so impressed with how much you're able to translate from them, but I guess maybe it's just because I still don't speak Drunk Kari very fluently. :laughing: Your Jiko review was excellent. Sounds like you really had a wonderful meal.You make me want to give Jiko another chance before too long :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter