A Tokyo Disney, HKDL & Shanghai DL PTR-UPDATED 11/23-JUST BACK!

katt789

DIS Veteran

To all who come to this trip report;

WELCOME

I hope that you’re in for one heck of a majestic adventure, because we sure are!! It’s been a year in the making, it’s been sketched out, planned, re-planned, things got cut out, things got added, times got changed, dates got pushed around, and ENTIRE COUNTRIES got added or deleted! And we’re STILL in the planning stages!!

Approximately a year and a half ago, I packed up my life and moved down to Orlando Florida, to spend a year working for Mickey Mouse himself!!

10259895_10154118490940647_9092864928601759155_n.jpg

That would be me…guess I should introduce myself hey? I’m Katt!

On that very program, I met one of the most incredible people in the world, one who would soon become my absolute best friend, Kara!

12105786_10156296729830647_3665305785021093105_n.jpg

Knowing that we had a year to save up for adventures, we started talking about what to do when our program was over. Well, we both love Disney, and we both love adventures of epic proportions, so WHY NOT:

-Fly to California for a couple of days, explore Disneyland

AND THEN

Fly to Tokyo, and then Hong Kong, and THEN PARIS!? (and at this point, there were rumors of Shanghai being opened in the fall, so we thought… MAAAAAYBE….we could knock them ALL OUT OF THE PARK AT THE SAME TIME)

We began looking into it not too in depth, and then one day I checked the flights, and THEY HAD JUMPED BY NEARLY $2000

Uhm…no….that made it completely un affordable to go. BUT, everything happens for a REASON, right?! We scrapped the second leg of our trip, and enjoyed a lovely 4 days in Disneyland post program!

12038604_10156246839430360_1867929226052866418_o by Katt McCluskey, on Flickr

12072536_10156320088150647_6407569186121908591_n.jpg

Soon after getting home, neither of us had much to do back in Canada, so we started researching Japan & China more. We now knew that we would be planning to go in October 2016, by which time, Shanghai would ACTUALLY be open (see, blessing in disguise that things worked out the way they did).

image by Katt McCluskey, on Flickr

We both bought guide books for both places, and started going through the suggested itineraries, and starting to figure out where we might want to go. I honesty started to FALL IN LOVE with Japan MONTHS before we were to even step foot in the country! It all looked and sounded SO beautiful, and there were SO many things to do, how could we ever narrow it down!

When it came to China however, we figured we’d do mainly the Disney areas, with a couple of other things thrown in.

We looked at prices of flights to add in Paris too, to say that we could have been in every Disney park in the world in 1 calander year, but AGAIN, prices were just too high!

Kara’s got heritage in Indonesia, and I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go to Bali, and what better of a way to relax after an epic trip than a nice beachside resort? We checked it out, and it potentially stayed on the planning list.

So…there’s the introduction, now, lets get on with the EXCITING stuff, right?!

Saved for Links!
Introductions Part 2

Trip Day by Day Outline!

Tokyo Part 1
Tokyo Part 2
Tokyo Disneyland Days!
Across Japan Day 1
Kyoto! -> NEW JULY 24
Nara, Hiroshima & Miyajima
Beijing
Shanghai Disney->
Shanghai City->
Hong Kong Part 1 -> NEW AUG 31
HK Part 2-> NEW AUG 31
HK Part 3-> NEW AUG 31

Real Life Updates
One
One Month Til We Leave!!-> NEW SEPT 5TH

Planning Resourced
Tokyo Disneyland Tips
Flights
Accommodation
Random Tips for Asia Travel
Vlogs to Watch!!

POST TRIP UPDATES--> NEW NOVEMBER 19TH

Just back!

NEW TRIP REPORT LINK

Last edited:

With the new year in place, Kara & I had an exciting adventure coming up that took place on THIS side of the ocean, as we FINALLY RETURNED TO WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!

12920410_10156914316730647_4402934348112806632_n.jpg

From left to right we have: Abby, Kara, Becky, myself, and Pearl! All of us had worked together on the program, Becky was still down there, and Abby, Kara & Pearl were all running the Glass Slipper Challenge! You can read that Trip Report here:

http://disboards.com/threads/dreams...the-magic-completed-5-19-new-tr-link.3488251/

Throughout the trip we obviously talked about our Asia stuff, and Abby ended up asking if she could come, since she really wanted to see Shanghai! We came to the conclusion that Kara & I would venture through Japan, and Abby would meet us over in China!

Over the next few months, a lot happened, I had most of my planning outlined, as did Kara, and we were pretty sure they were about the same. Come May, I moved from Edmonton to Vancouver, and actually moved into a place with Abby that’s about an hour away from Kara. 2 days after that, we ventured to California!

IMG_4551 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_5896 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_6303 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

You can read all about THOSE adventures HERE:

http://disboards.com/threads/i-think-we-need-more-bread-bowls-a-pixiefied-disneyland-adventure-updated-6-18.3512106/

A few weeks after, was my birthday! We decided a nice way to celebrate would be by climbing the Grouse Grind, a not so easy, but not so hard mountain in the area!

image by Katt McCluskey, on Flickr

Afterwards Kara came over and we spent the majority of the evening going through our plans. We touched base on what everything was, the costs of stuff, how much time it would take, was it on both our lists and such. After we cut everything down, we started looking at hotels/hostels/air bnb’s around the countries and decided it was time. WE WERE GOING TO START BOOKING STUFF!!

Our official timeline looked like:
-Fly Vancouver to Tokyo
-Spend a few days in the city/surrounding area
-Tokyo Disneyland
-Explore the rest of the country (south from Tokyo)
-Fly to Beijing, meet up with Abby
-Shanghai Disneyland
-Shanghai city
-Hong Kong city
-Hong Kong Disneyland
-Fly home!

***PSA: I’m still working out how to organize all of this stuff, I know there will be posts about the planning stages, some that outline accommodation, ticket prices, things that helped us figure out stuff, etc. For now, I have the introduction, and a timeline of our plans while we’re there!**

What an exciting trip! Looking forward to following along :thumbsup2

Just recently got back from opening day at Shanghai and it was AMAZING! I also love HK, but haven't managed to get to Tokyo yet.

Posting so I can follow along. I'm super jealous of your trip! I get a measly 2 weeks a year off, so this kind of long adventure seems pretty impossible. How many days do you think you'll be gone?

Also following! I have a similar trip planned for SEPT 2017, but I placed it in the Tokyo sub board... no idea why.

Joining in! This sounds like it's going to be a trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to hear all about the planning :)

What an exciting trip! Looking forward to following along :thumbsup2

Just recently got back from opening day at Shanghai and it was AMAZING! I also love HK, but haven't managed to get to Tokyo yet.

Thanks for joining in!!! I'm glad you're looking forward to it!! AH THATS AWESOME!! We watched all the opening ceremony stuff on youtbue and it looked super exciting! I can't wait to go!

Posting so I can follow along. I'm super jealous of your trip! I get a measly 2 weeks a year off, so this kind of long adventure seems pretty impossible. How many days do you think you'll be gone?

Hahah, glad you're here! I BELIEVE we leave Vancouver Oct 4th and return something like November 12. it's about 6 weeks all together!

Also following! I have a similar trip planned for SEPT 2017, but I placed it in the Tokyo sub board... no idea why.

Yay! Welcome & glad you're here!! Lol, how awesome! I'll be sure to put in as much detail as I can for you!!

Joining in! This sounds like it's going to be a trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to hear all about the planning :)

Welcome!! It really is! I wish we were able to add in Paris to knock out every park in 1 year, but hey,we'll get there eventually!!

Wow, this trip is going to be huge! I was stressed out planning a trip visiting just 1 country(Japan) for 2 weeks, I don't know how you do it! But this will be an amazing trip and you will have fantastic time with your friends! Oh, it's so good to be young! :)

Fall will be here before you know it. I hear Tokyo Disney could get crazy for Halloween, wonder how HongKong and Shanghai will be. I'm sure you have some costumes planned out?

Curious to hear the plan, how long will you stay in each city and how many days are devote to Disney?

Joining in! Always enjoy your reports! Never been to any of these countries so looking forward to pics!!

Thanks for joining in!!! I'm glad you're looking forward to it!! AH THATS AWESOME!! We watched all the opening ceremony stuff on youtbue and it looked super exciting! I can't wait to go!

I watched the opening ceremony stuff on youtube too ;) That stuff was only for invited guests :rolleyes2 Still exciting to be there though!

I'm planning a trip to all 3 Asian parks this November too- wonder if our plans will overlap. I only have 2 weeks, though... but I've been to HKDL and TDR before, so I don't need to do as much there. Anyway, I'm looking forward to following your trip plans, as well as my own! :)

Wow, this trip is going to be huge! I was stressed out planning a trip visiting just 1 country(Japan) for 2 weeks, I don't know how you do it! But this will be an amazing trip and you will have fantastic time with your friends! Oh, it's so good to be young! :)
Fall will be here before you know it. I hear Tokyo Disney could get crazy for Halloween, wonder how HongKong and Shanghai will be. I'm sure you have some costumes planned out?

IT REALLY IS!!! I've managed to not be too stressed planning since we're all planning it together, and we've been following a lot of the lonely planet's recommended tour plans by the day, so that helps a lot!! I'm super excited! Lol. I KNOW! Kara mentioned the other day that we've only got 7 pay cheques until Asia and THAT freaked me out, thank goodness I make tips as well!! I have heard that too, our dates are early enough I hope we avoid that! And I'm curious as well! We are hoping that since we hit HK in November that maybe we'll get some christmas in there too! And of course we have no idea what Shanghai holds for holidays!!

Curious to hear the plan, how long will you stay in each city and how many days are devote to Disney?

That will all be updated soon!! (probably tomorrow since I'm off lol)

Joining in! Always enjoy your reports! Never been to any of these countries so looking forward to pics!!

Yay!! Welcome and glad you're here!! It's going to be awesome, I cannot WAIT for all the pictures!!

I watched the opening ceremony stuff on youtube too ;) That stuff was only for invited guests :rolleyes2 Still exciting to be there though!
Lol, fair enough!! But still super exciting! I was so happy to see familiar faces on the castle stage too! SO PROUD!!

I'm planning a trip to all 3 Asian parks this November too- wonder if our plans will overlap. I only have 2 weeks, though... but I've been to HKDL and TDR before, so I don't need to do as much there. Anyway, I'm looking forward to following your trip plans, as well as my own! :)

Nice!! We'll be in China for November!! Maybe we might overlap!! Haha, that's fair! I've never been to Asia much less the parks over there, so we really wanted to do EVERYTHING and acommodated a LOT of time lol

HOLEY MOLEY!!! Your trip sounds like the vacation of a lifetime!!!! It would've been awesome to visit all the Disney parks in one year, but LOTS OF $$$$$ I'm sure!! Can't wait to hear more about your planning and how it all works out.

We are doing the same thing! We are hitting HK, Shanghai, and Tokyo on our world tour :) We are heading there in November!

HOLEY MOLEY!!! Your trip sounds like the vacation of a lifetime!!!! It would've been awesome to visit all the Disney parks in one year, but LOTS OF $$$$$ I'm sure!! Can't wait to hear more about your planning and how it all works out.

Bahahhaa yes...yes it is a lot of money...I won't lie..it's caused a bunch of stress with us! Bahah. I'll go through some budget stuff later one!~

We are doing the same thing! We are hitting HK, Shanghai, and Tokyo on our world tour :) We are heading there in November!

HOW AWESOME!! Where are you headed first in November?!

**heads up, NONE of the following photos are mine, they should all be credited via flickr, but NONE of them are mine!**

Japan Adventures

Our dates are official! Flights are yet to be booked(but it will happen in the next few days!), but we have 98% of our accommodation READY TO ROCK! YAAAS!

Day 1-October 4/2016The adventure beings in the Vancouver International Airport, where we’ll board our (potentially even direct) flight to Tokyo! On October 4th 2016

At Vancouver Airport by Images by John 'K', on Flickr

Obviously it’s going to be a SUPER long flight, but Kara’s done Europe, and I’ve flown to Australia, so it shouldn’t be anything too bad! We’ll keep occupied I’m sure! Mainly music, tv, games, and sleeping, because we’re trying to bring as little as possible with us!

スカイマーク 737-800 #JA737Q by かがみ~, on Flickr

Landing in Tokyo will be sure to be SUPER EXCITING, we still have a few kinks to sort out, like, if we’re stopping somewhere in the airport to pick up a pocket wifi, or if we’ll be getting one later/somewhere else. Our plan is obviously to head straight to our Hostel, we’re staying at:

Day 2- OCTOBER 5/2016-> Our arrival in Japan

Emblem Hostel Nishiarai

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://emblemhostel.com/&prev=search

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Emblem-Hostel-Nishiarai/Tokyo/102785?s_kwcid=AL!591!3!113093736038!b!!g!!_inurl:_feed_label:japan&source=adwordsenhostelnames&network=g&creative=113093736038&adposition=1t2&uniqueclickID=9981620546940703252&sub_keyword=_inurl:_feed_label:japan&sub_ad=b&sub_publisher=ADW&ef_id=V0SfjAAABG8076j0:20160625192536:s

We booked through Hostelworld, and for the 4 nights we’re there it totaled out at 3000.00 Japanese Yen, ($381 Can dollars, or $293 USD total, so we split that in half). We’re staying in a 6 bedroom all female dorm for the remainder of this portion. I’ll do more of a cost/accommodation breakdown later!

Day 3-Tokyo-October 6th/2016

It’s your first day in Tokyo, you’re probably jetlegged, and might be up super early, what’s the most logical thing to do?! Why, head to the Tsukiji Fish Market of course! It’s a very high paced, and fully functioning market, where you can visit right at dawn to see them auction off the tuna, or see multiple different kinds of sea creatures that are all for sale!

tsukiji-market-c40 by http://3CoolDudesInTokyo.com, on Flickr

We’ll probably check it out, and depending on how we’re feeling, get some SUPER FRESH SUSHI! (although raw fish for breakfast doesn’t sound too appealing, we might just have to do it anyways lol)

The afternoon will be spent checking out places like the Hama-rikyu Onshi-teien gardens that the guide books say “don’t miss”, one of Tokyo’s best gardens, and extend into what is now the fish market (though I’m not sure how accurate that is as I know the market itself is moving in preparation for the Olympics!) They say there’s a large island home to a super cute tea pavilion in there as well!

Hama-rikyu Onshi Teien by navisan, on Flickr

Along with the Tokyo Imperial Palace which is actually still home to Japan’s emperor and the family, so some of it’s still off limits, but you can visit some of the free grounds and the gardens which are said to be super beautiful!

Sunset over Tokyo by Pierre Natoli, on Flickr

The Tokyo Station since it’s a landmark, and the Sky Tree in the area. The Station has been completely redone and is GORGEOUS inside, as I can now tell from some of the pictures. There are other observation decks closer to the Station, but the Skytree is said to have better views, despite the higher price. Its also on the way to our final destination of the day!

Tokyo Station by Ballet Lausanne, on Flickr

Tokyo J - Tokyo Skytree Tokyo Sukaitsuri 02 by Daniel Mennerich, on Flickr

Hoping the view is going to be good that day!

SkyTree, Tokyo by Matt Pettitt, on Flickr

We’ll finish off the day by checking out the Asakusa Area, specifically the Senso-ji Temple It has a whole page dedicated to itself in the LP guidebook, marked as a “DO NOT MISS” it’s a highly visited temple by both locals and tourists alike!

Senso-ji by mon_vitoria, on Flickr

Senso-ji by jolene, on Flickr

DAY 4- Tokyo-October 7/2016

Bright & early Kara and I will head off to the Meiji-jingu shrine & gardens[/u] where Tokyo’s grandest shrine is located. It’s dedicated to a previous emperor that was destroyed during WW2, but has been rebuilt, and still holds an “authentic feel” to it.

Tokyo明治神宮 / Ceremony by YEH, on Flickr

明治神宮御苑 (Meiji JinguInner Garden) by rockcake, on Flickr

There’s lots of gardens to see in Tokyo, and our next stop is Yoyogi-koen Park[/u]

Yoyogi-koen Park by Junichi Kashima, on Flickr

Untitled by Bornil, on Flickr

And judging by the photos, I hope will be fully into the autumn season by the time we’re there! It’s a popular lounging park for people to hang around in, and obviously, we’ll go a little picture crazy!

The park is located in the Harajuku area of Tokyo, so we plan on spending a bit wandering the streets, looking at all the shops and eccentric things we might find!

Takeshita Dori by Nick Gray, on Flickr

Tokyo 058 by tourmania, on Flickr

Harajuku kind of overlaps with Shibuya, so we’ll obviously take a stop to see the famous Shibuya Crossing said to be the worlds busiest corner!

Shibuya crossing! by Tom, on Flickr

The area also has a bunch of shopping streets that’s closed off to cars in the area called theShibuya Center-Gai that we’ll spend some time meandering through!

Shibuya Center Gai - Tokyo Christmas 2012 by Tokyo Fashion, on Flickr

With Shibuya crossed off the list, we’ll head up to Shinjuku specifically to see the Tokyo Government Offices because of their observation decks! The decks are open until 11pm, and it looks like the views are a lot more impressive at/after dusk, unless of course it’s a clear day and you can see all the way to Mt Fuji!

Tokyo Metropolitan Government office.jpg by daidai00247, on Flickr

From Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices by Anne McKechnie, on Flickr

Now, I HONESTLY feel like this is probably going to fill up our day, especially if we’re taking our time and taking a million photos like I know we will be.

Luckily, when we were in the editing process last month, we cut out a day trip that we had planned, and added another day in Tokyo which will fill up with any left over things we didn’t get to, and probably a rest back at the hostel so that we can get classy and have some fancy drinks in Shinjuku, and the New York Bar at the Park Hyattwhere you can check out the views from the 52 nd floor, though dress code is enforced, which is why we’re probably leaving it til the day after we’re in Shinjuku. the bar is apparently the one featured in Lost in Translation!

Park Hyatt Shinjuku by Philippe Reichert, on Flickr

Tokyo at night from the Park Hyatt by Mari Sheibley, on Flickr

Day 5- October 8/2016-Tokyo

Today we don’t have any specific plans written down, but we may find that we aren’t able to squeeze everything in from the past 2 days, or we may want to visit a place for a second time. Or weather happened, or we sleep in, relax, and then head into Shinjuku for that classy night of drinks? We’ll figure it out when the time comes, but it’s nice to have a buffer day especially with the jet leg!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!