A Tokyo Disney, HKDL & Shanghai DL PTR-UPDATED 11/23-JUST BACK!

Oooh! I'll be at HKDL one of the same days you guys are! My Shanghai and TDR plans don't overlap, though.

I've stayed at both HKDL hotels - you won't be disappointed with the Hollywood, and you'll still get to see the HKDL Hotel when you go for Dim Sum (which I'm very jealous of by the way!) :thumbsup2

The park is seriously practically empty for the first few hours after it opens. I'm not even kidding. Like a ghost town. You will have plenty of opportunity to get your photos on the way through AND walk onto both Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain several times in a row. There's no FP for Grizzly Mountain, but you won't need one. I've seriously never seen more than a 20 minute wait (and that was on a Saturday afternoon).

There's really not much to Toy Story Land, but all the rides are slow loaders. You could potentially be better off to head here first then back track to Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. Otherwise, you're really not missing much if you can't be bothered to wait for the rides.

Make sure you get to the theatre early for Mickey's Wondrous Book. We got there about 20 minutes before the show and were turned away both times because the theatre had reached capacity. Shows and characters seem to be more popular than rides over there. We haven't actually seen FOTLK yet, because it's always down for maintenance in March and that's when we tend to go. However, I've heard that it's very different to the one at AK (which I also haven't seen lol!). I would try to go in with no expectations, and no comparisons. Just enjoy the show for what it is.

Flights of Fantasy is by far my favourite parade so far. FWIW it came before Soundsational. I loved the song so much, I was so excited when I got to DLR and I heard the very same music! The parade is much better though - the floats are awesome and the performers are incredible! So much interaction if you get a front row spot too. FWIW we've always got a great front row spot walking up 10 minutes before the parade starts. It's highly possible that you'll want to see it again. Not sure if you're aware, but Paint the Night also made its debut at HKDL before transferring to DLR. I kind of think it's nice that it'll be unique to HDKL again soon. The fireworks are a different style to DLR. More low level and centred around the castle. But I love them!

I would suggest you probably won't need a FP for Space Mountain. I've never seen it with more than a 15 minute wait (and that was a Saturday afternoon). Although now that it has its Star Wars overlay, it might be a bit more popular. The option is always there for you anyway. I can guarantee that you will wait longer to meet R2D2 than you will to ride Space Mountain.

I think you'll really enjoy taking in the theming around HKDL, and the gorgeous mountain/jungle backdrop that is still unique to HK. Also, after TDL and SDL, you will very much enjoy the more laid-back, less crowded atmosphere. It will be a great note to finish on :thumbsup2

Life updates!!

So Kara came into Vancouver the other day and we ended up filming a lot of vlogs for our channel!!

14192045_10157591939590647_5963290343957007213_n.jpg

We've got a couple Asia videos and will be uploading weekly until Abby leaves to join us in Beijing!! Check out our channel here!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc_eM8yH8HyyE5kN7udbz_Q

A minor dilemma as I was going to bed the other night and I realized I'd be SO FOCUSSED on our internal China travel that I'd COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE FLIGHT FROM HIROSHIMA TO BEIJING. POOP!!! Seriously kicking myself because it was WAY more expensive that I wanted to pay. SO, Kara hopped on the computer at her work, and found a flight that was $340, despite it turning up at $380 on my computer, so I sent her my info and she attempted to book them!

Hers went through no problem...my card declined...#whoops. I got things sorted out with my visa and hopped on Ctrip this morning to book mine, and when I opened the one arriving at 4:45, I noticed something...it has a stopover in Shanghai, BUT THE STOPOVER HAD A CHANGE OF AIRPORTS!! Like, it lands in Pudong and then the connecting flight leaves from Hongqiao to leave over to Beijing. Kara tried to figure out how to change it, or how if there was a shuttle between them (there is, it's 50 mins, not sure if there's a cost) SO, now, since my card had declined, I had to choose whether I was going to be a great friend and book that same flight, or if I'd book a flight with the same first leg and then connected through Pudong.

SO....I ended up being the better person and booking the same flight Kara was stuck with...yup...gonna be a grand adventure there..bahahha. should be interesting...

We also booked our train from Beijing to Shanghai.

AND the flights from Shanghai to Hong Kong. There were some for $66, BUT they were on an airline that your carry on AND checked luggage had to be under 30lbs, SO, we decided to spend alittle bit more and have the usual baggage allowance. I ended up booking later than the other girls by an hour or so, and noticed there was a flight that would save me $50 if I chose it instead, though I would get there around 9pm, and solo, I chose it anyways!!

I'm off on a little adventure this week that I need my passport for, so I'm headed to get my Visa for China when I get back from there. Then we need to take care of our internal Japan travel, and we're basically set to go!! WITH that, we still need to double check whether we're getting a JR pass, it was something like $400 for our entire time in Japan, which is a bit absurd, IMO, so we'll have to price out some stuff and see what's going to be worth it. Any advice or tips would be welcomed

We travel Tokyo to Kawaguchi-ko aka Mt Fuji. and back for a day trip
-Tokyo to Matsumoto (there's a bus option here)
-Matsumoto to Kanazawa
-Kanazawa to Kyoto
-Kyoto to Hiroshima
-Day trip to Nara from Hiroshima

IT'S SO BIZARRE THAT IT'S COMING UP SO FAST GUYS!! Like, actually in a month, Kara I will be adventuring around Tokyo's Imperial Palace and eating amazingly fresh suishi and Tsjuiki market!! (i didn't double check the spelling so that's probably HORRIBLY wrong...lol)

Stay tuned!!!

Good call to stick together. Travel mishaps happen, and it can be challenging to develop a plan B when you're out of the country and not together.

Oooh! I'll be at HKDL one of the same days you guys are! My Shanghai and TDR plans don't overlap, though.

Awee!! Well holler at us if you see us!! I'm sure we'll run into eachother!!

I've stayed at both HKDL hotels - you won't be disappointed with the Hollywood, and you'll still get to see the HKDL Hotel when you go for Dim Sum (which I'm very jealous of by the way!) :thumbsup2

The park is seriously practically empty for the first few hours after it opens. I'm not even kidding. Like a ghost town. You will have plenty of opportunity to get your photos on the way through AND walk onto both Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain several times in a row. There's no FP for Grizzly Mountain, but you won't need one. I've seriously never seen more than a 20 minute wait (and that was on a Saturday afternoon).

There's really not much to Toy Story Land, but all the rides are slow loaders. You could potentially be better off to head here first then back track to Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. Otherwise, you're really not missing much if you can't be bothered to wait for the rides.

Make sure you get to the theatre early for Mickey's Wondrous Book. We got there about 20 minutes before the show and were turned away both times because the theatre had reached capacity. Shows and characters seem to be more popular than rides over there. We haven't actually seen FOTLK yet, because it's always down for maintenance in March and that's when we tend to go. However, I've heard that it's very different to the one at AK (which I also haven't seen lol!). I would try to go in with no expectations, and no comparisons. Just enjoy the show for what it is.

Flights of Fantasy is by far my favourite parade so far. FWIW it came before Soundsational. I loved the song so much, I was so excited when I got to DLR and I heard the very same music! The parade is much better though - the floats are awesome and the performers are incredible! So much interaction if you get a front row spot too. FWIW we've always got a great front row spot walking up 10 minutes before the parade starts. It's highly possible that you'll want to see it again. Not sure if you're aware, but Paint the Night also made its debut at HKDL before transferring to DLR. I kind of think it's nice that it'll be unique to HDKL again soon. The fireworks are a different style to DLR. More low level and centred around the castle. But I love them!

I would suggest you probably won't need a FP for Space Mountain. I've never seen it with more than a 15 minute wait (and that was a Saturday afternoon). Although now that it has its Star Wars overlay, it might be a bit more popular. The option is always there for you anyway. I can guarantee that you will wait longer to meet R2D2 than you will to ride Space Mountain.

I think you'll really enjoy taking in the theming around HKDL, and the gorgeous mountain/jungle backdrop that is still unique to HK. Also, after TDL and SDL, you will very much enjoy the more laid-back, less crowded atmosphere. It will be a great note to finish on :thumbsup2
Yeah, i'm not too bummed considering we are saving money, and we'll still get to tsee it, plus we stayed at the gflo last year and it wans't as awesome as we though it'd be lol.

Good to know!! it'll be handy for ALL the pictures we'll stop to take!! lol

OH I KNOW!!! We're usually 30 mins if not 45 or more mins prior to every show, and parades were in the area an hour before to securse spots, so I know at least I'll be there crazy early for map, i cannot wait for it!! The dak folk is ACTUALLY MY FAVORITE THING EVER, if ou haven't watched it on youtube, watch this link:
or at least watch the last 5 minutes...i'm definitely going in with no expectations and we'll see what happens.

Good to know!! I alreayd love them both!! I knew ptn came to hong kong first!!

I'm super excited for hkdl so i know i'll enjoy it!!

Cant wait to read about your time at Tokyo DL. We are planning to visit in October 2017 after our cruise and we are not sure how many days to allow for TDL and Disneyseas.

AHHHHH!!! I DEFINITELY meant to do another picture and adventure filled update before we left, BUT, my computer is infected so its in the shop right now!

Kara & I leave on TUESDAY FOR TOKYO AAAHHH THIS IS REAL, ITS REALLY HAPPENING!!!

Ive done a lot of running around the past few days, have worked my last shift, have finished packing & am attempting to convert to Japan time which means staying up all night bahaha!!

Trip reporting sure won't be happening til late November, BUT check out the following things:

Instagram:
Kattwyllie
Kattwylliephotography
Karavanriel
Abbywithsparkles
Festivalofpixiedust

Youtube:
Festivalofpixiedust

Snapchat:
Kattwy
Karavanriel
Abby-sparkles

Kara's doing a live blog while we're there, follow along on that here:

https://adventuresbykara.wordpress.com/

The blog, Instagram & snap-chat will be updated regularly, and we'll post a lot on there!

Buckle up!! We're off on a WIIIILD RIDE!!!

Stay tuned for the trip report & thank you all for joining!!

Hey folks!!! So we've been back ALMOST a week, and are just not maybe adjusting to the jetleg! #worst In the meantime it's been lots of photo editing and getting back to real life stuff. I hope to have the trip report started soon, but am waiting on Kara's photos (for specific reasons I need them....no spoilers..) and also am wondering:

-Should I do it all together like I did the PTR?

OR

Split it up via Park/City and place them in the appropriate boards with links to everything??

Thoughts?

Here are some pictures to keep you occupied for a bit!!

IMG_2826 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_2790 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_2136 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_2329 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

IMG_0687 by Katt mccluskey, on Flickr

14955852_10157934048610647_4585670087313231499_n.jpg

14956569_10157934057115647_3800010792683974710_n.jpg

Each of the parks was absolutely incredible, though it is safe to say that Tokyo Disneyland is MY favorite from all around the world. Everything was just amazing!!

Shanghai Disney was SO much better than I expected, it truly blew me away, I'm pretty sure it did for all of us, and it held so many special surprises!!

HKDL was super cute, bizarrely similar to DLR, you'd be sitting on Main Street and just swear that you were in California. It has one of the shows that we immediately dubbed "top 3 of all Disney parks worldwide".

Japan stole my heart, completely, I already want to go back, the cities were so amazing, full of culture and modern things all at the same time. China was nice enough, lol, though not my favorite, Hong Kong truly stole the show, the bustling streets, traditional temples and markets mixed in with island life and tropical beaches, simply amazing!!

Feel free to ask any specific questions!!

Last edited:
Welcome back!! Cant wait to hear all about your trip! I vote for keeping it all together in one trip report :-)

Also vote for a combined report. So exciting-- heading to the Asian parks next fall so really looking forward to reading about your adventures!

I'm going to vote for 1 trip report, although maybe when you're done you can copy each section and put them in their respective categories so that future visitors to these parks can find them easier :)

Welcome Home!

I've anxiously awaited your return because I can't wait to hear all about it. I vote for just one report. If you don't continue with it here, please post a link so we'll know when it's up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter