A treat for a 9-year-old

Jays2013

DIS Veteran
We'll be going in Nov. 2017. This will be over my older son's 13th birthday. He has special needs and is somewhat younger than his years, and he loves the characters! We'll be going to Magic Kingdom and Chef Mickey's that day.

His younger brother will be 9 at that time, and I'd really like to do something special for him, too. He's such a big helper with his brother, and he's so excited to be planning for Disney. He loved the Pirates & Pals cruise during our 2013 trip, but he was 4 then, and I'd like to find something a little more grown-up for this trip.

He's tall enough to go on everything (even now!) and very adventurous. Loves Star Wars, but is up for nearly anything! Any suggestions?

What about a "Star Wars" day at DHS? The boys can make their own lightsabers and then go over to Star Wars Launch to get photos with the Star Wars characters. As you get closer you can assess if the boys will wear padawan outfits. Your youngest can participate in Jedi training but your older son will be too old so that would be something for him alone.

We definitely want to do that. He did Jedi training in 2013, but now he's got four years of martial arts training under his belt (he'll probably be a black belt by that point!) and is confident he can "do a lot better." (Oh, boy.)

I was thinking of something like another cruise or a tour, but things mostly seemed to be geared younger or older.

What about an IlluiNations or Wishes fireworks cruise? It's pretty pricey but you might find another family willing to split the cost with you.

There's also the Family Magic Tour that gets good reviews.

I second the family magic tour. Can your other son do thrill rides? They have a vip ultimate day of thrills would be good.

Would he like a fishing excursion or archery? Fort Wilderness has some fun activities. My daughter enjoyed the outdoor stuff at that age. The whole family could enjoy the campfire afterwards.

We definitely want to do the Star Wars dessert party, but that will be all of us. (Same with an Illuminations cruise, if we did it.) Fishing/archery...not so much. Maybe Family Magic; I wasn't sure how "young" it leans, since there's no age limit at all.

Other son does not do thrill rides, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe younger son and I can do the day of thrills, as no one else in our party will do that type of ride! (I just looked at the price. Gulp. Maybe not.)

Well, at least we have time to plan. :)

Why does it have to be something special just for him? You're making this a whole lot harder (and more expensive) than it needs to be. The whole family is celebrating the older son's birthday together, why can't you celebrate the younger son's unbirthday together too? All you need to do is designate that it's his day. Today is "Jason's Star Wars Day!" and then do all the things you were going to do at DHS anyway (Jedi Training, Lightsabers, photos, dessert party) but with your younger son being the "star". Heck, wear matching shirts if you want to make it extra special.

Maybe you can take another time and you and him go do something that he likes to do. That would also create a lasting memory for both of you.

I would like to do something just with him. The cruise last time is a memory he still loves and talks about. He doesn't really care about being a star, but he really likes the one-on-one time.

When we're all together, the presence of his older brother changes things. He adores him, but it's a difference, you know? We have to be a little more on-guard, a little more cognizant of what a child with his special needs can and can't do ... and younger son is so good about that. I want him to have a time just for himself, doing something that's interesting for him without worrying about if his brother can handle it.

I'm going to look at the tours a little more, I think.

Why does it have to be something special just for him? You're making this a whole lot harder (and more expensive) than it needs to be. The whole family is celebrating the older son's birthday together, why can't you celebrate the younger son's unbirthday together too? All you need to do is designate that it's his day. Today is "Jason's Star Wars Day!" and then do all the things you were going to do at DHS anyway (Jedi Training, Lightsabers, photos, dessert party) but with your younger son being the "star". Heck, wear matching shirts if you want to make it extra special.

Siblings of special needs kids frequently get short changed in the attention department. It is important, when that happens, to make sure they get some time away from the needs of their sibling, to have their own needs met. My son and I have a monthly excursion just the two of us so that there's no potential for his sister to suddenly have a meltdown or a sensory overload. Sometimes what they need is just to have a couple hours where they know that they will remain mom's priority.

We'll be going in Nov. 2017. This will be over my older son's 13th birthday. He has special needs and is somewhat younger than his years, and he loves the characters! We'll be going to Magic Kingdom and Chef Mickey's that day.

His younger brother will be 9 at that time, and I'd really like to do something special for him, too. He's such a big helper with his brother, and he's so excited to be planning for Disney. He loved the Pirates & Pals cruise during our 2013 trip, but he was 4 then, and I'd like to find something a little more grown-up for this trip.

He's tall enough to go on everything (even now!) and very adventurous. Loves Star Wars, but is up for nearly anything! Any suggestions?

If you and he are thrill-ride junkies, you could use Uber to head to another park if you find a deal - Sea World will likely have some deals this Blue Friday on tickets and Universal is a land of thrill rides - if you have a day for two, I think this would be an amazing experience for you both. Sea World would be much cheaper and probably perfect:)...

If you can only do Disney things, I would consider maybe an evening Christmas party just for you both if you are there at the right time - no worries about ruining the older child's schedule and they have a lot of fun, special events and activities during them...

at 9, does he feel too old for MVMCP? Can go to that, and do the christmas things, and the MK thrill rides?

If a non Disney is a go, then maybe Harry Potter (just cos, my 9 year old has just asked to swap his whole birthday party for a trip to the Harry Potter Studio tour in London (we're in the UK) because he loves it so much)

PPO breakfast at Tusker, and an early morning go on EE?

I would like to do something just with him. The cruise last time is a memory he still loves and talks about. He doesn't really care about being a star, but he really likes the one-on-one time.

When we're all together, the presence of his older brother changes things. He adores him, but it's a difference, you know? We have to be a little more on-guard, a little more cognizant of what a child with his special needs can and can't do ... and younger son is so good about that. I want him to have a time just for himself, doing something that's interesting for him without worrying about if his brother can handle it.

I'm going to look at the tours a little more, I think.
Thanks for the explanation. In that case, maybe he would just enjoy something with you alone.

Does he like animals? I am doing the Wild Africa Trek this year as a special surprise for my DD8. It get great reviews, looks fun, and even though it's expensive, it's not quite as much as the Thrills tour. I got a discount using my Disney Visa!

Does he like animals? I am doing the Wild Africa Trek this year as a special surprise for my DD8. It get great reviews, looks fun, and even though it's expensive, it's not quite as much as the Thrills tour. I got a discount using my Disney Visa!

I, too, was going to recommend Wild Africa Trek, if your son likes animals. The minimum age for the trek is 8, so it definitely skews toward older children. We did this last December with DS8 and had a great time.

Does he like Harry Potter? If so, take an uber or cab over to Universal, get one day, park-to-park passes and enjoy what Universal has to offer. The Harry Potter areas are truly amazing.

Thanks, all! He loves Harry Potter, actually, but we were just went to Universal for the first time in April and did the whole Harry Potter experience. This one is going to be just Disney, I think.

He loves animals, too. I'll look into the Wild Africa Trek. For some reason, i had been thinking that was 10 and up...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter