A Trip Full of Firsts!

samara

Mouseketeer
First of all, full confession...I have never written a trip report before. I have had good intentions, but somehow those have never materialized into actual written words. So I thought that maybe if I start with a planning post, I will have something to build on once we actually get back!

We are planning a four-night trip in October, staying in a club level room at the Beach Club. The "we" involved is myself, my husband (Jon), son (Liam, 15), and his best friend (Emma, 15). We've been to the World multiple times, including our most recent trip last August, but this trip is so full of firsts that it feels entirely new! It is our first:

1. Trip without our older daughter who will be away at college.
2. Trip bringing along a friend.
3. Time staying at the Beach Club.
4. Time staying in a Club Level room.
5. Trip during the Food & Wine Festival.
6. Time using a travel agent.
7. Trip where we are actively planning to not be with the kids all the time.

On top of all of our firsts, it is Emma's first ever trip to Disney!

Originally, I wasn't planning to make many ADRs, because Jon and I are planning to spend most of our time at the Food & Wine Festival, but because it's Emma's first time, I ended up making about one per day. I wasn't able to get exactly what I wanted (when do you ever?) but here is what I ended up with:

10/4 (arrival day) dinner at Cape May at 7:05 (oh, yeah, first time eating there:-)
10/5 Crystal Palace breakfast at 9:45 (Emma's favorite character is Pooh).
10/6 Mama Melrose's Fantasmic Package at 3:10 (This is one I definitely wasn't planning to include, but when I mentioned that we might not see Fantasmic on this trip, I nearly had a revolt on my hands from Jon and Liam!)
10/7 Be Our Guest 12:55 (I'd really like an earlier one - will keep looking).

I am so excited about the Food & Wine Festival, but also really nervous, because I've heard how crowded it can get. I'll be doing lots of research and can't wait until they release more details!

Food & Wine event reservations opens tomorrow, so I thought it would be a good time to update!

I changed my mind on one of our "firsts". Instead of Cape May on our arrival day, I thought Chef Mickey's would be a wonderful intro to Disney for Emma. Liam loves it, too! I used the reservation finder on the Touring Plans website and after a few days found a 6:30pm reservation. It will still be kind of a first, because we've only been there for breakfast in the past. Our flight lands around 4, so I'm a little nervous about getting checked in at the BC and getting to the Contemporary, but we'll see how it goes!

I am currently using the reservation finder to look for an earlier Crystal Palace and an earlier Be Our Guest...we'll see!

Having trouble making decisions for Food & Wine. I know I want to do the Mexican Tequila lunch because I like the educational aspect, and I also want to do a demo and a beverage seminar, although I'm not picky about which ones. Jon and I can't decide if we want to try the Party for the Senses, though. Neither of us are big on crowded, enclosed spaces (the giant waiting room at the Universe of Energy always makes me fidgety) and it seems like a lot of waiting in line to get to the different food booths. We feel like we may enjoy the Tokyo Dining more. It also has the educational aspect that I appreciate. They're too expensive to do both!

Liam and Emma definitely want to do the MNSSHP, and I kind of do too....another non-decision!

I know whichever way we end up, we're going to have a great time!

I think you'll have a great time with all the firsts. I'm on board and following along!

Quick update! Because we were both so conflicted about PFTS, Jon and I have (gulp) decided to skip it. I'm still a little conflicted, but I'm really excited about the Tokyo pairing experience we booked instead. Love Japanese food and last time we were at Epcot, we did the sake tasting in Japan and it was a completely eye-opening experience. I also booked the Mexican Tequila lunch and a beverage seminar with Kaiken Winery. I'd like to book a cooking demo, but it seems like they all conflict with something else! We'll see...

Okay. So. Lots of decisions have been made...and made again! We did end up getting MNSSHP tickets for everyone, even though Jon and I won't get there until the party actually starts because of the Tokyo dining experience, but I have decided to be okay with that. I won't get to meet Jack and Sally, but as long as I get to do the parade, fireworks and Hocus Pocus show, I've decided to be happy!

On our first day, I had originally planned for Liam and Emma to do MK for a few hours and then skip with us to Epcot, but due to the advice I got from the boards here, they are actually going to spend the whole day at MK. It will be a looong day - 8am Crystal Palace to MNSSHP! After a week or so on the Touring Plans reservation finder I also picked up a lunch BOG for just them on that day. Liam really wanted to go back there, but Jon and I don't really care, so that will be in place of the one I got on Saturday. So no running back to MK on Saturday between AK and Epcot!

Plans as they currently stand...

10/4 Arrival Day - Dinner at Chef Mickey's, pooltime

10/5 - 8am Crystal Palace breakfast, Space Mtn FP for all four of us at 9:45 and hoping to fit in Peter Pan's Flight and Buzz around that. Then Jon and I move to Epcot to hang out at F&W until our 4pm Tokyo pairing, then back to MK for MNSSHP. Liam and Emma will stay at MK, BOG lunch at 12:40 and afternoon FP for BTMR and Buzz. We're not really planning to meet up with them at the party, although I was thinking maybe at the end to share a Minnie van back to Beach Club.

10/6 - I have an 8am breakfast reservation at Garden Grill that I think I am going to cancel. I LOVE those early "before park opens" reservations, but Liam and Emma will be spending the day at DHS and plan to rope drop TSM, so it probably doesn't make sense. Jon and I may do EMH at MK, but maybe not. That will be a night before call! At noon, Jon and I have the Mexican Tequila Lunch, after which we will meet the kids at DHS. We plan to run around the lake a few times first, because we have a Fantasmic dining package booked at Mama Melrose's at 3pm!!!! I just heard about the new dessert party...waiting to see where the seating for that is and may cancel the dining package in favor of the dessert party. So. Much. Food. Liam and Emma have a FP for RRC earlier in the day, and then we all have one for Star Tours after dinner. So we'll end the night with Fantasmic!

10/7 - Planning to get up very, very, very early to hopefully end up at the front of the pack rope-dropping FOP at AK for EMH. We have FP for NRJ, Kilimanjaro and EE. Then, EPCOT for everyone unless the kids want to stay at AK longer. Rest of the day is kind of free. I know Liam wants to spend a couple of hours playing the Agent P game in World Showcase, and I'm hoping to convince them to try a few food booths. I am thinking the kids may want to go back to DHS and catch the Star Wars fireworks, but that will be a day-of decision. I thought about doing the dessert party for them, but we did it last August and I wasn't impressed. It just felt too chaotic and not nearly enough seating. Oh, and Jon and I have a wine seminar at 5pm:-)

10/8 Departure Day - We have a late flight, so planning to be at Epcot at park open. We plan to rope drop Soarin' and have FP for Mission: Space, Test Track and Spaceship Earth.

I feel like we're almost ready:-) We received our Magic Bands, and I bought Disney Halloween tshirts for everyone. And a super cute Haunted Mansion skirt for myself that I just could not resist! Emma is coming over on Friday so we can all watch Avatar and then we'll have her over again closer to our departure so I can give the kids some specifics about planning for MNSSHP and a few more logistical things. We're counting on them being able to move themselves around a lot on this trip, and I want to make sure they have the planning tools they need. I still need to come up with my list of must-tries for the booths and make a few other decisions (first parade or second parade for MNSSHP?), but I'm really excited!

Eek! Seven days!

I just made our airport transportation reservation with Quicksilver. Jon and I decided to spring for a limo to surprise the kids:-) So excited!

I'm still waffling on the Fantasmic dessert party, although it looks like the seating is the same as for the dining package. I'll talk to Liam and Jon about it tonight and try to make a final decision.

I think I've decided to do the 2nd parade at MNSSHP. Just seems easier and I'm hoping will be less crowded.

I started making a list of food to try at the F&W booths, but found I was just writing down almost everything:-) So never mind that. Jon and I have decided to make looking at booth food pics our in-flight entertainment instead.

Not much left to do but pack!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter