A Very Cheery Cherry Blossom Trip Report!

I'm so glad the Ghibli museum is worth it, my tickets don't go on sale until June and it's so nerve wracking.

Am really enjoying following along with your trip report - such lovely photos.

Ddi you take the train to Mitaka or Kichijoji station when you went to the Museum? I went once many year ago and got off at Kichijoji and walked through Inokashira park. I keep debating booking through JTB and my dates are getting closer. The problem is my daughter's ticket is 200% more expensive via JTB vs begging a friend to try the Lawson route for me.

I'm still debating hotels in Kansai. I think I am double booked much of my stay. >>;

I'm so glad the Ghibli museum is worth it, my tickets don't go on sale until June and it's so nerve wracking.

Am really enjoying following along with your trip report - such lovely photos.

I bet it will be fine..! The next month of tickets will go on sale in a day or two - maybe you could watch the site and see how fast the dates disappear?

Ddi you take the train to Mitaka or Kichijoji station when you went to the Museum? I went once many year ago and got off at Kichijoji and walked through Inokashira park. I keep debating booking through JTB and my dates are getting closer. The problem is my daughter's ticket is 200% more expensive via JTB vs begging a friend to try the Lawson route for me.

I'm still debating hotels in Kansai. I think I am double booked much of my stay. >>;

We went to Mitaka since that is what the website suggests. I planned to walk back to the train station like you did but I totally forgot when the time came! We just dutifully went and waited for the bus in the little area they have set aside. There was an attendant who told us where to sit for the bus and when it arrived made sure we boarded in the order we showed up (within reason... obviously we let a very elderly group board before us!)

We went to Mitaka since that is what the website suggests. I planned to walk back to the train station like you did but I totally forgot when the time came! We just dutifully went and waited for the bus in the little area they have set aside. There was an attendant who told us where to sit for the bus and when it arrived made sure we boarded in the order we showed up (within reason... obviously we let a very elderly group board before us!)

Mitaka is a bigger station and I'm not sure about buses from Kichijoji, so it makes sense the museum recommends Mitaka. The Museum is about halfway between them. I just had wanted to also visit the park and spend some time walking around it, so it worked out nicely. I also like Kichijoji. It's super cute. I've gone to a tea shop there a few times. I love the idea of untimed tickets, but the mark up on kid's tickets is so high!

Do you have more menu pictures? I'm curious if there is anything we could eat in the Cafe. >>;

Last edited:

April 6th, 2017!

Time to get moving...! Today we hopped on a shinkansen and headed over to Osaka. I was really excited because this is a city I have never been to before. When we were first planning our trip we tossed around the idea of going down to Okinawa or up to Hokkaido, but in the end didn't want to devote as much time as they would require. I had heard Osaka was nice, the food was good, and they had an aquarium I wanted to go to that is one of the largest public ones in the world (nurse sharks!) so it was an easy choice for us.

We got up obnoxiously early once again and got to Tully's before they opened at 7:30am. Did I mention everything felt like it opened really late in the morning before..? Donut shops often didn't open until later and lets just say I am used to coffee shops here in the Pacific Northwest opening around 5am! We wandered a little and came back to a looong line about 15 minutes later when they opened. Note for anyone going during ACTUAL cherry blossom time - while Starbucks ends their promo hillariously early in March, Tully's continues their campaign until later in April. I had what I thought would be one last sakura matcha latte but they were still serving them when we returned to Tokyo - right up until we left. That might have been the last week for them though. Another side note - the default was to go find a table first and set your items on it or use a little placard like I have on the table to reserve it and then go get your drinks and food. I get why its the opposite in America but here I never saw people loitering so it totally works to do it this way (the better way IMO).

IMG_7139.JPG

Sufficiently caffeinated we went back to the apartment to finish packing and take out the garbage and said goodbye to our first home in Japan. I really enjoyed the apartment but I don't think we will stay where we did again. At night there were many sketchy (for Japan) guys who stood in the pedestrian intersections just looking for... I don't know. I saw them trying to chat up single ladies who clearly wanted to be left alone and pulling single guys aside but I am not sure what their game was... my imagination can get pretty wild. Seeing the leftover drunks in the morning wasn't much fun either, even though once again it was a thousand times better than seeing the same people in the US. They were obnoxious but not sloppy if that makes sense. I never felt unsafe, but we aren't party people so we would have done far better not to stay so close to the red light district.

OK, side note over! On to Osaka!

IMG_7144.JPG

We used the subway this time from the Higashi-Shinjuku station to the main Shinjuku station having learned our lesson on the way in. We then tried to buy our tickets at the machine that said in bold letters CREDIT CARD ONLY but it didn't work. It's the only place the entire trip we ran into that used CCs but wouldn't take any of ours. So we went over to a ticket desk and bought them there using the card that was rejected with no issues. He did put us on a later train than the next one saying there were more seats open but we didn't mind much - it was only an extra 20 min wait which gave us plenty of time to buy ekiben from the large assortment of shops there. Since our train was at 11:20 or so we went ahead and split a festive beer also. :3

IMG_7145.JPG

We took the nozomi since my husband was intent on taking the fastest train we could speed-wise. He even kept an app open on his phone that showed our speed. I was glad we went to kawaguchiko earlier since it was very cloudy today and so we weren't able to get a view of Fuji from the train. Rather than get another Airbnb in Osaka I decided we would stay at a hotel. I was a little worried about the ones we had already because I know Airbnb isn't officially running in Japan yet. The only issue we had with them is our first host in Shinjuku did cancel our reservation in mid January. He refunded our money and everything, so we aren't sure why he did but we easily stayed elsewhere and it wasn't that big a deal.

Anyway, to make sure there was minimal chance of something going awry for half the trip we booked at hotels and in Osaka I chose the Namba Oriental Hotel. We knew nothing about the area but we had read Namba was a nice area to stay in as there was a lot of markets, arcades, food stalls and such around in the area so there would always be something to do at night. They weren't kidding... the areas go for blocks and blocks, blending into each other. One of the first things we realized when we got off the shinkansen is that instead of standing on the left and walking on escalators on the right Osaka is flipped - people stood on the right and walked on the left. We had just gotten used to the other way so we started blundering again... sorry everyone! We were surprised how large the underground mall attached to the station is.. it seemed to go on forever and the GPS on my phone was NOT working down there, so we went up into the rain to get a signal and get to our hotel.

Finding the hotel is easy... once you know where to look. Here is what you see as you approach the entrance to give you an idea of what I mean:

IMG_7153.JPG

If you look at the windows covering the street at the first banner there is another just under it that says the name of our hotel. You go left and through some revolving doors into a hallway with a couple elevators up to the hotel and ahead is a food court. The area smelled mildly of smoke... I crossed my fingers that it was like that only due to the temporary shelter that served as a smoking box just a little ways from the entrance but.. the elevator reeked. Uhoh.

The check in is on the 3rd floor and when you step out of the elevator there is a humidifier blowing out as much mist as it can handle 24/7 which we thought was odd. It also STILL smelled very smokey - the whole lobby area did. I inwardly started panicking. I knew I had booked a nonsmoking room but I didn't know how the hotel handled it so I was really eager to get into the room and see if I needed to abort from here at this point.

Sadly it was not to be... our room was not ready. The person checking us in then announced Osaka had begun an 'accommodation tax' and we would need to pay them 1000 yen. My husband immediately bristled as Expedia said the rate we paid them would be the rate period. We started at him, at each other, and he repeated himself. Begrudgingly my husband pulled out his wallet and paid him but we're still a little angry about being put on the spot like that. It was such a small amount that it just seemed like a prank of some sort. Thankfully it was not a game of any kind - I looked it up and found an article saying this started on January 1st, 2017. http://faq.japanican.com/177/184/187/190/f5264.html Obviously $10 or so doesn't even begin to break the bank, it was just frustrating knowing it was all paid in advance only find surprise! Its not! Cash now plz, I won't check you in without it! Oh well. They also took our passports away and took photocopies of them, which was the first time I had that happen anywhere. Disney does the same thing, so they must do something with it, I'm just not sure what. They had a ton of luggage in the lobby as well and soon added our bags to it. I dislike when luggage sits out as it can be a problem where I am from, but what can you do? Its probably safe, right?

Since our room was not ready we needed to go do something else. We knew we wanted to go to the Aquarium and to see Osaka Castle - both were close by. Since it was raining I chose to head down to the aquarium so we started the trek back to the station, taking some pictures as we went. One thing we had also seen in Shinjuku was some pet shops with kittens and puppies. There was another one on our way, so we stopped and took some pictures there too. Pets in Japan are apparently REALLY expensive...! The cheapest kitten we saw was 130000 yen! They were all in tiny little boxes as well... I hope they tend to get adopted very soon.

IMG_8234.JPG

We got to the aquarium before it started really raining and yes, this place is HUGE. I am sure many people do not like seeing large aquatic animals in captivity and there were indeed some exhibits that tested my patience as well. Compared to some other places I have been though I'd say this was very good if overstocked and once again the entrance fee was pretty reasonable at 2300 yen per adult. We spent a LOT more time here than I had thought we would but then it was so much larger than I had thought too!

IMG_8264.JPG

A little over halfway through there was a little cafe - we split a 'whale shark' ice cream. It's ramune flavor mixed with vanilla and then they sprinkle little white round sprinkles on it so it looks like a whale sharks' spots. It was pretty good! I liked it better than the apple flavored ice cream we'd had back at the Ghibli museum. While we were there they were feeding the whale shark, and also were doing a talk on their sea lions. At the end there is a touching area where kids can pet stingrays, starfish and even some little sharks. Overall there is a huge number of different fish and I definitely saw critters that I have never seen here in the US from their waters. We bought some more treats for our coworkers and headed back to the station.

There was a cute takoyaki stand before we entered so we decided to have another snack and split a small order. They were really good! The octopus wasn't even slightly rubbery - I bit through it more like it was a piece of chicken. I never thought the stuff we can get in my city as bad, but this was just better cooked I guess? Maybe its fresher or a different type of octopus? Either way I ate a lot of takoyaki over the next few days. I hope Im not disappointed when we go back to the place that has them here.

IMG_8290.JPG

It was now 5 or 6 when we got back to the hotel and we were able to pick up our luggage and get our room keys. They brought out the luggage from the back so they must move it at some point? There is a gate in the lobby that blocks off the elevator to the rooms - you can't get to them from the first set from the street. We were up on the 7th floor and thankfully there was no smoke smell in the hallway at all! I started to relax a little bit. The room was similarly clean and tidy... compared to the futon we had been sleeping on the bed was a luxurious king sized bit of heaven and there were all kinds of plugs in the headrest. they also had a bluetooth stereo but I didn't use it at all. The view was of roofs but I didn't mind - we had a clean room and a TV... I love Japanese TV.

They have a style of show where 3 or more hosts talk about different subjects with tons of bright graphics and texts and close ups of their reactions to things thats fun to watch even when you aren't quite sure what they are going on about. One of the mornings they were talking about toast. They started by going to various places that serve toast or sandwiches on bread and critique (very positively) their bread techniques. Then it kind of morphed when the lady host went to talk to a 'scientist' in an empty lab room where he espoused the benefits of using a tray meant for fish to toast your bread over using a toaster oven because the moisture does something. They spend a crazy amount of time on this showing lots of diagrams and example videos - also going on about how great induction heat is. Finally, my favorite part, she brings two pieces of toast out - one done in the fish oven and the other in a toaster oven. She has the older guy host try it and is pleased when he says how good the fish one is. Then he tries the other piece and he says... its also good! What can he say, he likes toast! :rotfl2:The rest of the trip anytime we saw induction we'd excitedly show each other the item. We even saw it on a rice cooker at our Uwajimaya the other day... they REALLY like induction!

Man I digressed.... sorry! Its little things like this, the inane weird things that make me laugh and happy, that make me love going to Japan.

Since we had a few snacks we weren't crazy hungry but we were both eager to go find a good Okonomiyaki place. My husband's coworker who had lived in Osaka for 9 years had recommended one but all the reviews were saying it was no good now due to the popularity. It also would have taken awhile to get to so we just went to one around the corner called Fukutaro Honten that had good reviews.

We did end up having to wait, but it was REALLY good. Every okonomiyaki is cooked by the owner who also managed the list of names and calls you in from the front of the restaurant where the grill is. Thats him in the green towel. We did end up waiting 20 min or so but it was worth it. When they poured the sake they did it into a cup set inside a saucer until it was spilling over the sides which my husband appreciated. ;) I had tea and once again it was never filled a second time... I am not sure if thats how it is there - I'm used to endless tea places but the only place I got refills was at the conveyer sushi places where I got it myself. We ended up splitting one but really should have gotten two because it was soooo good... they also had another guy who made yakisoba on a different grill - I can't remember what else was on the menu.

IMG_7164.JPG

I was still a little bit hungry so I looked up desserts. We walked down the Namba market area over the bridges and gawking at HUGE decorative signs.

IMG_7170.JPG

The crowds were immense and in some places it was hard to stay together, especially once the umbrellas came out. Much of the area is undercover thankfully but at intersections and such you are on your own.

Its a good thing we don't have a little place called Pablo here in the states because if we did I would be quite fat. Also broke. I'm not big on cheesecake but man, I would eat a little cheese tart every day if I could. They have mini ones that are 250-300 yen in various flavors. Chocolate, strawberry, matcha and regular plus some seasonal ones. I am not kidding when I say flat out we went here every single night we were in Osaka and had one as dessert.

IMG_8302.JPG

They also had a sign warning not to eat while walking here.... we found in Osaka that it was much more common to walk and eat, possibly a side effect of having so many snacking options all over. In the market area there were signs requesting you not use their trash cans unless you were a customer also. I feel like there are many more foreigners here... not only did we see a lot of walking and munching but there were also way more couples holding hands and a lot of different languages being spoken. I realized how much more relaxed I felt than I had in Tokyo... I guess it took more energy than I thought to be 'on guard' against a faux pas this whole time. I still tried to not be 'that guy' in general but I did end up drinking my drink on the escalator and a few other naughty things like tossing my eel stick in with the paper tray for my takoyaki in the same trash even though they were from two different shops.

We went back to the hotel, tried to hold our nose through the lobby, and had a very quiet and relaxing evening at the hotel.

Mitaka is a bigger station and I'm not sure about buses from Kichijoji, so it makes sense the museum recommends Mitaka. The Museum is about halfway between them. I just had wanted to also visit the park and spend some time walking around it, so it worked out nicely. I also like Kichijoji. It's super cute. I've gone to a tea shop there a few times. I love the idea of untamed tickets, but the mark up on kid's tickets is so high!

Do you have more menu pictures? I'm curious if there is anything we could eat in the Cafe. >>;

Yes I do! I think the menu changes a little so they may have some different options when you go too..!

IMG_7064.JPG IMG_7060.JPG IMG_7058.JPG IMG_7059.JPG IMG_7062.JPG IMG_7061.JPG

Yes I do! I think the menu changes a little so they may have some different options when you go too..!

View attachment 234150 View attachment 234151 View attachment 234152 View attachment 234153 View attachment 234154 View attachment 234155
Thanks... it looks like we will be sticking with dessert since we're both vegetarians. lol I admit, that's another reason I will go through Kichijoji, I know more places to eat there.

Namba is a super fun location, did you make it to the amazing fabric store near where you were staying? I'm ok with finding my way around Namba underground... mostly... and I can handle Shinsaibashi, but Osaka station's mall just confuses me now. I was better at it before they re-did the station.

Hmmm... I like the Namba area, but I'm not sure I would want to stay at that hotel now. We're now looking to book 5 days at a small boutique hotel in Kyoto where each room has an actual terrace! I'm not sure I've ever really seen that before.

I'm sorry about the extra Osaka Accommodation tax. I thought you knew or I would have mentioned it. Every time I've booked a hotel at Booking.com, there has been a warning that it will be collected on arrival. I guess staying in Kyoto will solve that issue for me. >>;

Did you make it to Osaka castle? Last time I was there you could dress in armor and have your picture taken. I was thinking of taking my daughter, though we might go to Himeji on a week day since the reconstruction is FINALLY finished.

And yeah, sometimes hotel buffets open as early as 6:30 am or 7 but finding anything else is hard. I always try to keep snacks in the room for my daughter in case she gets hungry before then.

Thank you for sharing the Ghibli menu! I really want to try the restaurant but the wait's been insane every time I've gone. Maybe next time...

I've noticed donut places tend to open earlier than they used, maybe due to the influx of foreigners. I remember back in 2011 how excited I was when the Krispy Kreme on the way to my school finally opened at 10am! (before that they didn't open till noon.) One of the many things I miss from the US.

The pictures are lovely! I'm really enjoying your report :D

Thanks... it looks like we will be sticking with dessert since we're both vegetarians. lol I admit, that's another reason I will go through Kichijoji, I know more places to eat there.

Namba is a super fun location, did you make it to the amazing fabric store near where you were staying? I'm ok with finding my way around Namba underground... mostly... and I can handle Shinsaibashi, but Osaka station's mall just confuses me now. I was better at it before they re-did the station.

Hmmm... I like the Namba area, but I'm not sure I would want to stay at that hotel now. We're now looking to book 5 days at a small boutique hotel in Kyoto where each room has an actual terrace! I'm not sure I've ever really seen that before.

I'm sorry about the extra Osaka Accommodation tax. I thought you knew or I would have mentioned it. Every time I've booked a hotel at Booking.com, there has been a warning that it will be collected on arrival. I guess staying in Kyoto will solve that issue for me. >>;

Did you make it to Osaka castle? Last time I was there you could dress in armor and have your picture taken. I was thinking of taking my daughter, though we might go to Himeji on a week day since the reconstruction is FINALLY finished.

And yeah, sometimes hotel buffets open as early as 6:30 am or 7 but finding anything else is hard. I always try to keep snacks in the room for my daughter in case she gets hungry before then.

Ooof, I have heard how hard it is being vegetarian in Japan... I hope it gets easier soon! :( Seems like the only other thing *might* be soup... and bread. >_<

I didn't look for fabric this trip as I am still sitting on a stockpile of fabric I brought back from Hawaii last year... I *really* need to get my butt in gear and make the things I meant to!

Well... this accommodation tax just started in January of this year. Supposedly that is why it had not already been paid?

We did go! We didn't go in though since it was a rainy day - I'll have pics of the outside up soon! Its a recreation also since the original was destroyed which soured my husband to it too. I've heard its nice inside too though. Oh well... maybe when/if we go back. Did the reconstruction at Himeji take a long time...? I wonder how the ones we saw will fare...

Luckily the convenience stores are always open...! :D

Thank you for sharing the Ghibli menu! I really want to try the restaurant but the wait's been insane every time I've gone. Maybe next time...

I've noticed donut places tend to open earlier than they used, maybe due to the influx of foreigners. I remember back in 2011 how excited I was when the Krispy Kreme on the way to my school finally opened at 10am! (before that they didn't open till noon.) One of the many things I miss from the US.

The pictures are lovely! I'm really enjoying your report :D

Yeah, we really did go get in line even before they opened so we wouldn't have to miss it. Donuts are a breakfast food darn it! And pancakes! lol!

I'm sorry I dropped the ball a little over the weekend... my husband was injured at futsal late Thursday night so we had to go to the ER and didn't get home until 3am. He had fainted three times before all was said and done so I had to keep a close eye on him the next couple of days and didn't get to writing more days but we are back in business now! Seriously, he banged his knee up but he's fine otherwise and is walking under his own power so it /should/ heal quickly and be OK. I'm so glad it happened close to the weekend!

Last edited:
April 7th, 2017!

So when we first decided to go to Osaka it was with the idea that we'd spend two days elsewhere - one in Kyoto and one in Yoshino. As wonderfully as the cherry blossoms were behaving all over Japan for us though the blossoms in Yoshino just were not opening! We were so sad! We were going to spend this day going down there and then go to Kyoto the next day but since the blossoms weren't behaving we decided to watch the weather and see how it goes... So on to Kyoto we went!

I know one day is not and would not be enough, so we picked two things and will go back sometime in the future. As I said earlier Kiyomizudera was under construction (lots of things were in the end, maybe we should've just gone...) so we settled on Nijo castle and Inari taisha shrine. I had been to both before but I was fond of them... more so than Ginkakuji - the other famous place I had been to already.

We woke up early and once again had no issues buying a reserved seat and quickly zipping to Kyoto! Looks like it was pretty cheap to boot (probably would have been even more so if we didn't want reserved seats... but we did whenever we could).

IMG_7180.JPG

Getting to Nijo was very straight forward and it is very close to the station too. There were a ton of tour buses and such when we arrived as we were taking it easy today and got there later in the morning. The rain was holding off so we decided to wander the grounds first and then come back and tour the inside.

IMG_7182.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

Parts of the compound are closed to tours as lighting damaged the buildings but it was still just as nice seeing the outside! :)

Due to the cherry blossoms they had tents with snacks set up and it looked like on some nights they uplit the trees and kept the "party" going into the evening hours. We stopped here and had a snack of sakura mochi, two types of dango and some jellies. They had heartier options but it was too early for a proper lunch!

IMG_8314.JPG

We then went back and took a tour of the inside that you can see. I remember it being more interesting, perhaps we had a guide last time. This time there were a lot of people and since there is only really one way to look due to the way buildings were back then it was hard to see the screens and rooms. What I mean by this is you walk in the hallways which are on the outside of the rooms and on the other side of the hallway is the outside wall, so to see a room you have to look on the inside side. There are no furnishings and most of the screens and murals are recreations with the originals being housed in a museum. They were still pretty and it was fun to see some of the ornate architecture though. You are not supposed to take pictures though, so here is a picture of the detail on one of the gates outside instead. I don't remember seeing any of the multicolored bits inside, but the joints and such had similar gold leaf covers.

IMG_7213.JPG

From here we decided we wanted a sushi lunch, but there were no conveyers close by so we would have to do something fancier gee darn! We walked down to Kikyou sushi through a very quiet and downright lovely neighborhood. We tried to befriend a cat we saw but he flicked his tail and sauntered off... fine then! ;__;

Lunch was sooooo good! We both got chirashi there and it was only 900 yen! Im so jealous of all the downright delicious, cheap and beautiful food in Japan!!

IMG_7216.JPG

It may not look like a lot but it was more than enough - I couldn't finish my rice, not even close and was stuffed. Good thing we were going to walk it off at Inari Taisha which was our next destination.

IMG_7223.JPG

I have tons of pics of this shrine.. I really do love it. When I was here last I bought a small inari figure from the oldest, tiniest little lady I have ever seen in my life. She took immense care to wrap it up just so and it is still proudly sitting on the shelf next to my bed with my other treasures. We walked through the buildings at the bottom but it was also very crowded... I remembered from last time that gets better the higher up you go though so up we went!

At this point my husband was getting a little crabby... while it was still cloudy it had actually gotten quite hot, so we shed our coats and were sweating pretty good. We hadn't really discussed ahead of time how far up we would go either which led us both to ask the other how much further? Maybe just a little more... Ultimately we decided to make it up to where the map said the first good viewpoint was and then head back. This cutey was waiting for us up there but I think someone needs to break it to him that the water is NOT meant for him...!

IMG_7239.JPG

This kitty and a smaller blacker one let us pet and hang out with them for a few minutes. On the way back we veered to the right and went past even more little shrines on the way versus the thousands of torii on the way up. Eventually the path turned more into streets and we ended up down to the left of the main shrine.

IMG_7255.JPG

Once we were down we went back into the main area where we bought yet more snacks for our coworkers and then headed back into Osaka to give my husband a rest. We had noticed the day prior that there was a brewery in Osaka but it was too much of a pain at the time to get to. Since we were going to go close by it today though we decided to make a detour and check out Minoh Beer.

IMG_7271.JPG

Whereas everyone else was at the bar we were put into a two top in the back as far away as possible... ^^; I'm not sure if he expected us to be rowdy or what but we didn't mind that much... they were smoking and I'm allergic to smoke so we had a pint each and got some nuts to share. The beer was pretty good! I had the golden and it tasted about as nice as the ones we brew at home, it just needed more flavor. It was *too* light, even for a golden. That or we just go too far with our beer here. Honestly that might be it... we have tons and tons of fresh hops and so many varieties of them. Everyone home brews. Well, most people. We certainly do!

From here we wanted to try more okonomiyaki and wanted to take advantage of all the Michelin starred restaurants in Japan to try at least one so we decided to go to Mizuno back close to our hotel. The line was longer than for the restaurant the night prior and they had a system of going down the line handing out menus. When he seated people inside he would take orders and let more people inside and hand out more menus until finally it was our turn. The menu was HUGE and we each got a different one this time. To be honest it was a little off... the cooks didn't speak even though they were right in front of us and everything seemed a little snooty. Since we'd already ordered the food was out quickly and we were done and out before we knew it. It was more expensive and just didn't taste as good. We preferred the down and dirty one the night before to this place but hey, now I can say I've had Michelin rated food and it wasn't bad. We just liked the other one more. :)

We went back to Pablo for more cheese tarts and on the way back we were stopped by a guy named Kei who asked if we were tourists. We said yes and he then asked why we were in Japan, what we liked about his country, where we were from... on and on, lol! He was really nice and it was fun chatting with him but it was by no means quick. He was shocked I'd been to Japan three times and couldn't accept my complete lack of a good answer. Why HAVE I been to Japan three times...? Why am I absolutely going back a fourth time and maybe more... I dunno. I like it, its different and fun and clean and safe and tasty. Thats not a really good reason though... other places are all these things. Housing costs aside my own city is like that.

Why indeed then...? I don't have a good answer, Kei!

Great report!

I am glad you posted the pis of the menu from Ghibli Museum. I have not planned to go there because I think they don't let you bring in outside food, and their website does not say they have allergy-friendly menu at their cafe. But now I know at least they indicate major allergens on the menu. I need to start letting my kid watch more Ghibli movies...she only knows Totoro!

I remember being surprised to see Numba Oriental hotel in the middle of the busy shopping area. Was it quiet once inside the hotel? Smoking gives me headache, so smelly lobby may be enough to turn me away though.

Looking forward to reading more...:)

Ooof, I have heard how hard it is being vegetarian in Japan... I hope it gets easier soon! :( Seems like the only other thing *might* be soup... and bread. >_<

Oh soup is rarely vegetarian out. It almost always has a chicken or beef broth base. But yes, bread and many desserts are mostly safe. Being vegetarian in Japan is.... interesting. To be honest it is was MUCH easier in 2016 than in 1999 during my first visit. There are vegetarian options on menus sometimes (since we eat dairy and eggs) and I have a surprisingly long list of vegan restaurants in Japan. A few places I've really loved have closed but some really good new ones have opened. (Like T's TanTan Ramen in Sendai and Tokyo.) The bigger issue is now I travel with a vegetarian child. When I was by myself, I would sometimes bring vegetarian cup noodles from home and just eat those for dinner, with a kid, I can't do that. It's why I made the thread about restaurant reservations on TDL. I can't just hope I can get reservations, if I can't, I have to leave the park because we can't just eat ice cream or cake for dinner. At least there are more sit down options at TDL than there use to be. Universal had a few restaurants with options as well. I do wonder what is going to happen with the 2020 Olympics because there are a lot of International vegetarians/vegans and most of us don't go on vacation from our diet when abroad. (you sort of can't... it makes you really sick..) But it means Ghilbli is a snack place, not a lunch place. It's like I want to see the Duffy show in Sea so we will get some sort of snack or drink, though I want those cute extras!

I didn't look for fabric this trip as I am still sitting on a stockpile of fabric I brought back from Hawaii last year... I *really* need to get my butt in gear and make the things I meant to!

Oh I ran out of time and didn't get any fabric in Hawaii but I tend to stock up in Japan.

Well... this accommodation tax just started in January of this year. Supposedly that is why it had not already been paid?

It hasn't been included on any of the rooms I've booked for June yet, I just get a big warning screen about it so that I know I will be stuck paying it. Though at this point, I might just do all 6 nights in Kyoto. It's so easy to get between Kyoto and Osaka and I am meeting a friend for dinner in Nagoya so Kyoto is much easier. I have a long list of people I am trying to arrange meeting up with, which makes trips to Japan both a lot of fun and a lot of work.

I'm sorry I dropped the ball a little over the weekend... my husband was injured at futsal late Thursday night so we had to go to the ER and didn't get home until 3am. He had fainted three times before all was said and done so I had to keep a close eye on him the next couple of days and didn't get to writing more days but we are back in business now! Seriously, he banged his knee up but he's fine otherwise and is walking under his own power so it /should/ heal quickly and be OK. I'm so glad it happened close to the weekend!

I hope your husband is doing better and thank you for adding the next part of your trip. I've been to an Oktoberfest Celebration in Osaka but never a specific brewery.

How crowded was Fushimi Inari? I was thinking of going back. The last time I went it was super quiet but I've heard it is now the most popular shrine because everyone loves the tori tunnels. I really want to go to Uji and some famous hydrangea shrine near there because hydrangeas!

I really want to go to an Okonomiyaki place in Hiroshima but my daughter has no interest. ~.~

Hope your husband is getting better! Especially since you have the next vacation coming up! I just realized that you have a countdown to a Norwegian Fjords cruise! Looks like we have similar taste in travel destinations. I did that itinerary in 2015 and loved it!

I loved your info on Kyoto. We will have three full days and maybe two half days, depending on travel plans, in Kyoto. And I still feel horribly unprepared for it. We have booked a hotel and that is currently the extent of my planning. I just read the names of all those different shrines over and over again and I have no idea which ones I want to see and whether I won't go crazy after days and days of shrines... It is good to read about what can put into one day and to how many sights I need to limit us to.

Did you use and guide books for your planning? Any books you can recommend?

Hope your husband is getting better! Especially since you have the next vacation coming up! I just realized that you have a countdown to a Norwegian Fjords cruise! Looks like we have similar taste in travel destinations. I did that itinerary in 2015 and loved it!

I loved your info on Kyoto. We will have three full days and maybe two half days, depending on travel plans, in Kyoto. And I still feel horribly unprepared for it. We have booked a hotel and that is currently the extent of my planning. I just read the names of all those different shrines over and over again and I have no idea which ones I want to see and whether I won't go crazy after days and days of shrines... It is good to read about what can put into one day and to how many sights I need to limit us to.

I hope you don't mind a little highjacking. ^^;

Have you ever used http://www.japan-guide.com ? I use to se Lonely Planet, Gateway to Japan, Rough Guide.. but now I find Japan Guide is really helpful. The forum there can be helpful with itineraries/bus schedules/things where the info isn't in English as well. My only big issues is many of the posters tend to be very bargain minded to the point where they're just not picky about where they stay at all.

Arashiyama tends to be a really nice part of Kyoto it has a few temples and you can walk around. I also enjoyed the walk from Ginkakuji to Chion-in in Higashiyama.

My daughter doesn't like seeing a lot of shrines and temples so I am trying to find ways to make it more fun. I love Temple Stamp books.

Which hotel in Kyoto are you staying in?

Last edited:

Have you ever used [url="http://www.japan-guide.com]Japan Guide[/url]? I use to se Lonely Planet, Gateway to Japan, Rough Guide.. but now I find Japan Guide is really helpful. The forum there can be helpful with itineraries/bus schedules/things where the info isn't in English as well. My only big issues is many of the posters tend to be very bargain minded to the point where they're just not picky about where they stay at all.

Arashiyama tends to be a really nice part of Kyoto it has a few temples and you can walk around. I also enjoyed the walk from Ginkakuji to Chion-in in Higashiyama.

My daughter doesn't like seeing a lot of shrines and temples so I am trying to find ways to make it more fun. I love Temple Stamp books.

I hope @AquaDame won't mind... I think you mentioned Japan Guide before (or someone else) and I had a peak at it. Somehow I am a bit old fashioned with my travel research. I find it easier to have a book that I can take with me, where things are highlighted than trying to find stuff again online. I guess I am not organized enough for that. But thanks for reminding me of that website again. I will definitely have a look. I don't mind people having strong opinions on things online, I know that I can still have my different opinion! ;)

Yes, I think Arashiyama is kind of on my list already. And I read somewhere about the Temple Stamp books. I think those will be perfect for my BF. The other day I also found some walking tours on the official Japanese Tourism Office website that looked good. Ultimately I am not so concerned about whether we really see the very best and beautiful. I am just excited to go somewhere so very different and soak up the atmosphere. I live in Germany in Bavaria and when we have visitors from the US visiting, they are always enchanted with any odd village because it is so "old". While I think that this is really not a very pretty or particularly old village. I expect that in Japan I will be like that: marveling at some "very exotic" building that really is just something that you can find all over Japan. I am already so excited about supermarkets and those convenience stores! Oh! And vending machines. You see: I should be easy to please!

We are going to stay at the RIHGA Royal Hotel Kyoto, which is very close to Kyoto Station. While maybe not the most charming neighborhood, it will give us easy access to everywhere and we got a very good price for a room that is not tiny (my BF is from the US and therefore has American space sensibilities ;)).

Really enjoying your trip report! Makes me want to go back.

Staying in Namba looks very cool. I love that feeling of everything at your fingertips when in a Japanese city.

I hope @AquaDame won't mind... I think you mentioned Japan Guide before (or someone else) and I had a peak at it. Somehow I am a bit old fashioned with my travel research. I find it easier to have a book that I can take with me, where things are highlighted than trying to find stuff again online. I guess I am not organized enough for that. But thanks for reminding me of that website again. I will definitely have a look. I don't mind people having strong opinions on things online, I know that I can still have my different opinion! ;)

Yes, I think Arashiyama is kind of on my list already. And I read somewhere about the Temple Stamp books. I think those will be perfect for my BF. The other day I also found some walking tours on the official Japanese Tourism Office website that looked good. Ultimately I am not so concerned about whether we really see the very best and beautiful. I am just excited to go somewhere so very different and soak up the atmosphere. I live in Germany in Bavaria and when we have visitors from the US visiting, they are always enchanted with any odd village because it is so "old". While I think that this is really not a very pretty or particularly old village. I expect that in Japan I will be like that: marveling at some "very exotic" building that really is just something that you can find all over Japan. I am already so excited about supermarkets and those convenience stores! Oh! And vending machines. You see: I should be easy to please!

We are going to stay at the RIHGA Royal Hotel Kyoto, which is very close to Kyoto Station. While maybe not the most charming neighborhood, it will give us easy access to everywhere and we got a very good price for a room that is not tiny (my BF is from the US and therefore has American space sensibilities ;)).

Yes, I hope you don't mind @AquaDame. ^^;

I use to like Lonely Planet for physical books. I found their books tended to be packed full of details. I loved Gateway to Japan but mine is soooooooo out dated at this point. It's from 1998 I think? And it doesn't know about a lot of shinkansen lines lol Now, I prefer on-line because I try to limit how much I am carrying around. I would offer to give you my books but again they super out of date and shipping to Germany would be expensive.

I don't mind strong opinions, I find many of the posters in the forum there are not always good at seeing how their particular situations do not apply to everyone. But it is a great source for information. They were very helpful when I was trying to get to the Dewa Sanzan. I find the site is most helpful when you are taking routes that get fewer tourists. So it's pretty easy to find information on things to do in Tokyo in guide books and online, but Japan-Guide is great if you want to say visit Osorezan because it's in the middle of nowhere.

JNTO puts out a lot of good information now.

If you have the time and can apply ahead of time, I loved Katsura Imperial Villa. I went there and Shugakuin on one trip but I've not yet done Saihoji. I preferred Katsura to Shugakuin, the garden was gorgeous. I can't go back until my daughter is much older though. I have done Enryakuji, Kurama and Kibune. I liked Kurama+Kibune a little more.

I've not yet stayed at the Rhiga, but it does look nice and very convenient. I can see why you would book it.

Oh soup is rarely vegetarian out. It almost always has a chicken or beef broth base. But yes, bread and many desserts are mostly safe. Being vegetarian in Japan is.... interesting. To be honest it is was MUCH easier in 2016 than in 1999 during my first visit. There are vegetarian options on menus sometimes (since we eat dairy and eggs) and I have a surprisingly long list of vegan restaurants in Japan. A few places I've really loved have closed but some really good new ones have opened. (Like T's TanTan Ramen in Sendai and Tokyo.) The bigger issue is now I travel with a vegetarian child. When I was by myself, I would sometimes bring vegetarian cup noodles from home and just eat those for dinner, with a kid, I can't do that. It's why I made the thread about restaurant reservations on TDL. I can't just hope I can get reservations, if I can't, I have to leave the park because we can't just eat ice cream or cake for dinner. At least there are more sit down options at TDL than there use to be. Universal had a few restaurants with options as well. I do wonder what is going to happen with the 2020 Olympics because there are a lot of International vegetarians/vegans and most of us don't go on vacation from our diet when abroad. (you sort of can't... it makes you really sick..) But it means Ghilbli is a snack place, not a lunch place. It's like I want to see the Duffy show in Sea so we will get some sort of snack or drink, though I want those cute extras!

Oh I ran out of time and didn't get any fabric in Hawaii but I tend to stock up in Japan.

It hasn't been included on any of the rooms I've booked for June yet, I just get a big warning screen about it so that I know I will be stuck paying it. Though at this point, I might just do all 6 nights in Kyoto. It's so easy to get between Kyoto and Osaka and I am meeting a friend for dinner in Nagoya so Kyoto is much easier. I have a long list of people I am trying to arrange meeting up with, which makes trips to Japan both a lot of fun and a lot of work.

I hope your husband is doing better and thank you for adding the next part of your trip. I've been to an Oktoberfest Celebration in Osaka but never a specific brewery.

How crowded was Fushimi Inari? I was thinking of going back. The last time I went it was super quiet but I've heard it is now the most popular shrine because everyone loves the tori tunnels. I really want to go to Uji and some famous hydrangea shrine near there because hydrangeas!

I really want to go to an Okonomiyaki place in Hiroshima but my daughter has no interest. ~.~

Man that IS a pity... soup would be so easy. Just use veggie broth!! Argh! I keep hearing little snippets of them getting ready for the olympics... did you see the WHO put out a suggestion they work harder on antismoking beforehand? I thought they'd already made huge strides... I really would like to see it ousted from the pubs and bars though tbh. But, it is not my country so they need to rock on with that when they are good and ready. One of the other trip reports made several recommendations for sit downs in the resort for vegetarians... he visited with his ex who is a vegetarian too. Might be worth digging up! :) Maybe they will let you buy the cute extras without the food item? I wonder if anyone has tried..!

There were two people I really should have put in effort to go see but we were SO busy... but one was a friend of a friend willing to show us around which we didn't really need and the other is just a coworker who I also don't really know. That kind of thing doesn't really work well for an introvert! I need to know that person...!

It was very crowded...! Hard to see the souvenirs and a steady line up people up the mountain until the first couple of outcroppings. The torii keep going though so snapping a solo pic gets easier and easier as you go. Once people get an OK pic they tend to go back down as they aren't interested in hiking up the mountain at all.

Thats a shame she isn't interested... I think they are so tasty! Maybe its just not very kid friendly... ^^;;

He is slowly but surely, thank you!! He went back to work yesterday and was pretty limpy by the time he got home. He is at the doctor's right now picking up the heart monitor. Its so old school.. he said it needs a land line to relay information but... we don't have one of those. I have no idea how its going to work!

I'm glad you liked the Fjords..! I am really excited. I wanted to do it when it first came out but we've always been busy with other things until now. I'm getting to meet up with my brother and his girlfriend who live in Leiden (Netherlands) for a couple days prior also which will be very nice! They are meeting us in Copenhagen.

I found that the area around the shrines can be so very different.... I never got tired of them but maybe my husband did a little. One major one a day was plenty I think... we did run into shrines dotted around here and there and I would pop over to look at them but besides Inari, Meiji, Asakusa and Todaiji we didn't go out of our way. There are just SO MANY in Kyoto that it is hard not to see a bunch, isn't it? I didn't use any books but in the past I liked Lonely Planet and I also spent a lot of time over on Reddit's Japan subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/ - that was where we got the recommendation for our sim card. One thing that might help you parse your list down is seeing entry fees and hours..? We found once the sun went down hitting the big tourist stuff was over and it was time to just run around eating, shopping and playing! It limits you too.

Have you ever used http://www.japan-guide.com ? I use to se Lonely Planet, Gateway to Japan, Rough Guide.. but now I find Japan Guide is really helpful. The forum there can be helpful with itineraries/bus schedules/things where the info isn't in English as well. My only big issues is many of the posters tend to be very bargain minded to the point where they're just not picky about where they stay at all.

I don't mind it in the least!! If you guys don't get what you need out of it then what is the point, right? I have the pics and memories no matter what! I wish you guys had this conversation before I went though, then I would have learned something! :D

April 8th, 2017!

Today we went to Nara! It had not been in our plan at all, but again, the lack of cherry blossoms in Yoshino diverted our attention elsewhere and we had a great time! I didn't take a pic of my train ticket this time, because it was just a local train and about 5 stops from Namba! Soooo easy! The fact that I totally forgot until i was going through my pictures goes to show though that all these day trips were really easy to do. As is often the case I was in a rush to get going out of excitement we neglected breakfast to get on the road. Good thing we weren't starving! I started googling breakfast in Nara while on the train and I found a cute sounding coffee shop on the way. It was called Rokumei Coffee co and was very close to the station indeed though their coffee was spendy! I had to have the Nara Coffee since it was made with honey even though it was 700yen and absolutely adorable. I have menus if anyone wants to see them after that nugget, lol! OK ok, it was 250 yen less since I also got breakfast but I seriously wish it had been larger. I might have splurged and had a second since I am used to larger lattes at home and it was so tasty but not at almost $7 for another.

IMG_7291.JPG

My husband had a mixed sandwich that came with yogurt and a salad and I got a chocolate banana waffle that came with... yep, ice cream. Oh well, its vacation! :3

We then departed (I got a can of coffee at a convenience store on the way - not nearly as tasty but only 130 yen) and we started running into the deer that are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Even though I had told my husband about them he was still so excited and said they were the most adorable thing ever. We took some pictures of them and watched people feed them the senbei crackers that are made for them and are 150yen for a pack. Its the exact same price for them all over the place, so no point in waiting to buy them if you want to feed the deer. It was so fun watching girls shriek when a deer wanted more cracker or sniffed their purse and Kyle annoyed one by holding out his hand without a cracker. So it nipped at his shirt, lol. Watch your kids... they aren't 100% tame and it can scare a little one when they get nippy!

We kept wandering down towards our main target for the day at Todaiji. It is a bit of a walk past and through some park and little city street but it is a straight shot and easy to get to. We found the sweet potato vendor again that I remembered from last time and I got a small one that I split with my husband. Did we need it? No. But hey, you can't buck nostalgia when it comes roaring... :) As you can see, the cherry blossoms here were fully bloomed also which I really enjoyed.

IMG_7325.JPG

At the entrance there was another little setup with workers handing out very sweet tea to people in line waiting to give some coins to wash a gold statue. We drank the tea before we knew what the hold up was and then stepped out of line when we realized what was going on and that we had no idea the significance anyway.

IMG_7329.JPG

Inside there wasn't much of a crowd but there was a very impressive offering of goodies for Buddha.

IMG_7337.JPG

We wandered around the backside clockwise and saw some people buying slates for the roof that they wrote wishes on. There was also a model of a building set up and of course a crowd of people trying to go through the hole in one of the support posts. They even had a queue set up for it! I had tried last time we went and can't remember if I made it but there had been no line at all... we watched a gentleman try to push his lady through one way and then ran to the other side and grabbed her arms to pull her through. I guess it counts? lol!

After we'd seen everything we could here we wandered through the park without any goal in mind. Its very peaceful and fun to look at and feed the deer. We each bought crackers and I made mine last long after Kyle had used his up.

IMG_8359.JPG

There are many smaller shrines around and a few shops and restraurants too. I bought some more goodies for my coworkers and eventually it was lunch time. I think I may not have had cell service in here because I can't remember cross referencing yelp like we usually do before eating. ^^;; We just looked at the menus of two restaurants and chose one. One said they got as much of their ingredients from the neighborhood as they could which I liked but they didn't appear to have any meat so I said we could go to the other one. My husband said if I wanted the cute little all veggie bento box at the other place then by gum I should. And so I did. And it was a lot of fun trying everything! He got a bowl of soba and was happy (mostly). The bottom left were all pickled, the right marinated and the top right lightly fried and in a different sauce. The top left was good with the little tiny bit of wasabi sauce that was on top of it. I think the miso was way too rich for me, and I loved those little pickles in the white plate so much I even let my husband have some. Once again our tea was not refilled though... surely its a thing not to there? It was a popular place.... while we were waiting for our good a few groups were turned away since they didn't want to wait the quoted hour but we had been seated right away and the restaurant was half empty.

IMG_7352.JPG

When we were all done we headed back towards the train station and when I got a signal I found where we had been was here: http://sateiyuusui.jp/

We came out of the trees and into a large grassy area where there were more lazy cute deer and a bunch of photographers and picnic goers. Not nearly as many people were on the ground since there was deer poop everywhere though. These guys with the fancy pants lenses were all taking pics of ONE tiny little sparrow (I think) in the tree. He really was stinking cute...! Note that I was running around in a t-shirt and everyone here is all bundled up... it was high 60s / low 70s! How do they do it??

IMG_7362.JPG

We went back to the hotel and decompressed for a little bit and then headed back out when we realized Osaka Castle was going to close soon. Even if we didn't go in I wanted to go stroll the grounds as there are a lot of cherry blossoms there and I have heard it is nice. Sadly the rain started coming down harder though so we started getting pretty wet. When we realized the cloud cover was pretty low we nixed going into the castle for sure and just took a few pics outside of it.

IMG_7375.JPG

Heading back towards the station - I also wish we had gone on a scenic boat tour...we didn't end up spending enough time IN Osaka itself!

IMG_7377.JPG

Hopefully when/if we go back it will be a clear day! We were getting pretty soggy on our feet by now and the day was ending so we headed back towards Namba and found a conveyor sushi place to try out. We chose Daikisuisan and it ended up being complicated because there were TWO. One is outside and is NOT conveyer and the other is inside and it is. We waited a LONG time and it was funny that the reviews mention they do not call out the number in English. It didn't matter to us - I know my numbers - but even though I do we noted once we got towards the front of the line they had a habit of asking us pointedly if it was us if no one responded to their number. We would have been fine either way!

Of all the sushi places we had hit and would hit this place had the most "oddball" things. I accidentally grabbed some eel livers for instance when I saw Unagi on the sign... I didn't know the kanji that came after it and it was in a bowl so I couldn't see it. When I did it was too late and I knew it wasn't right. It was 400 yen though so gosh darn it I was going to try it! Well, lo and behold I did NOT like it, and convinced my husband to try one and he didn't like it either. I finished before he did so I started looking it up... I had a heck of a time finding the kanji until finally I started just googling all the organs I could think of and finally boom, it was liver. I've had other... bits.. of animals in the past under various circumstances and not liked them at all but this was the first completely blind foray into that field. NOW can I say I just legitimately dislike tripe, organ meat et all? Yes, yes I can. :p

I was not brave enough for this beauty though... look at the green bits that were under the pointy part on the right one! So green! So firm! After the livers I couldn't even think about it. The part on the rice looks a-ok, would eat though...

IMG_7379.JPG

It was still somewhat early (between 8 & 9) so we stopped by another arcade to be frustrated with our lack of skills... I'll put the sadness in the next post as I am out of room here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter