A video of Delta Atlanta Airport workers dropping a wheelchair...aaaahhhh!

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
A video of Delta Atlanta Airport workers dropping a wheelchair.

I see a ramp on the side that they could have used instead. I can't imagine what it must have looked like inside the plane. They always seem to like to load them on their sides and when they don't know what they are doing something get torn off, damaged, or broken. This is why I dread traveling by Delta airline at Atlanta and any airport. I know some folks are considerate and knowledgeable, but why can't they have an instructional class on loading and unloading expensive wheelchairs like this. When it is damaged so that it is not operable, it not that easy to get an immediate replacement to continue travel. Sure Delta can pay for damages. But what are you supposed to do now if another power chair is not immediately available and you are traveling alone?

What do you attach to your wheelchair/scooter when you travel by airline to help the airline loading crew load your wheelchair/scooter under the plane to help them move, lift, lock, move it without damage?

I travel using Atlanta Hartfield International Airport, and I use the Delta Airlines for all airports.

I go on the Delta website and fill out their accessible form for my scooter, print it, attach a photo of the scooter and have it available when I board to tape it to the scooter. They don't keep a copy of it online. I tape it to my scooter so that it visible to crew that load/unloads my scooter from the gangway to under the airplane storage and back.

I make sure that I call Delta Airlines 24 to 48 hours before my flight and remind them of my needs.

I attach a tag to the "freewheel" knob so that they can understand how to lock/unlock the rear wheels.

I attach a tag the front tiller knob so that they can understand how lock/unlock the front wheel tiller.

Finally, I fold the back seat and tiller down and pray as I board to take my seat.

I use a walking cane or two, or sometimes even forearm crutches depending on how well I am walking.

I carry a separate backpack with my scooter charger, (when I get a wheelchair, I will remove the controller), C.P.A.P. machine, electronics, accessories and anything else that I might think might get stolen from my checked luggage

I have had Delta pay for damages before and I have received a check around 4 to 6 weeks later, but I don't know what I would do if they broke it to the point it was not immediately useable.

I try to check my scooter for damages after I leave the plane. But with everyone waiting on me and being exhausted and out of breath it becomes difficult to notice small things.

Like one time a part was broken off the floorboard that allows me to separate the scooter from the motor to the front floorboard and tiller. I didn't notice it until I got to my resort room. I really try to be more observant.

Another time the foam rubber armrest was torn. It wasn't torn off, but when I looked at it later and when I pushed it in a different direction, it looked like a big tear. I tried gluing it, but it never dit hole together.

I surmise that they both occurred when loading and unloading my scooter sideways and it got caught on something and damaged it.

I am in the process of researching to buy a portable, electric, foldable, power wheelchair and I really don't want it to be damaged, too. I do plan on buying the travel bag that can be bought separately to help with less possible damage.

What do you do when you travel with your power wheelchair/scooter?

1. Do you add tags?

2. Do you add a piece of paper letting them know not to damage it...ha...ha...ha?

I really would like to hear your suggestions when travelling with your own wheelchair/scooter to help prevent damage and to help loading crews not to cause damage because of their lack of experience.

Last edited:
I know a couple of baggage handlers who should be looking for employment elsewhere.
AFTER they are made to pay for damages to that expensive equipment.
And yeah.......
Using the ramp would have been far too logical for those dip sticks.

http://sci.washington.edu/info/forums/reports/Airline Travel tips.pdf

AIRLINE TRAVEL TIPS FOR PEOPLE USING A WHEELCHAIR If possible, make your first flight a short one (approximately 2 hours or less).

Reserving the Flight –
1. Check out the airline’s website for policies regarding wheelchairs, transfers, etc.
2. Speak to an agent prior to booking flight.
3. Inform agent of physical condition and that you use a wheelchair. Some airlines have a “desk” dedicated to making arrangements for those with disabilities.
4. Ask about specific policies regarding wheelchairs, transfers, and whether your plane will have an accessible bathroom, etc.
5. Request/demand bulkhead aisle seat (“disabled seat” as called by some airlines, removable armrest if possible).
6. Several days before your flight, call the airline again to confirm that your information and needs are in their record (aisle chair, personnel to lift you if needed, etc.)
7. Confirm with agent that your wheelchair will fit in cargo hold of the plane; generally all Boeing and Airbus plans are ok; prop planes are the biggest challenge. Know the overall dimensions of your wheelchair, (height, length, width, weight). You may want to have this written down and attached to the chair.
8. Find out size of aisle chair.
9. Inform airline if you will be bringing an assistant/personal care attendant (PCA) to help you get to the plane (this will require special security pass).
10. Ask airline about their product replacement costs (in case your chair is damaged).
11. You may wish to consult a travel agent who specializes in travel for people with disabilities.

Preparation for Airline Travel
1. Practice taking wheelchair apart and putting it together again (or instructing someone). You don’t want to take apart a wheelchair for the first time while 100 – 200 people are waiting to get on a flight.)
2. Obtain inexpensive tools required to take wheelchair apart. Check your owner’s manual for specific recommendations. A typical wheelchair requires the following tools: standard Allen wrench set, 3/8 inch, two 7/16 inch, and 1/2 inch wrenches, and zip ties. If you have a Roho cushion, take your pump.
3. For power wheelchair users, confirm that you have gel batteries, if not, you will need to have gel batteries in order to fly.
4. For manual wheelchair users, consider hard rubber tires or solid inserts for travel.
5. Take pictures of your wheelchair from all sides (without you in it).
6. Schedule your travel days with a lot of extra time to allow for the unexpected.
7. Anticipate problems, and plan to be patient.
8. Locate a medical supply or wheelchair repair company in close proximity to destination.
9. Identify hospitals and pharmacies near your destination.
10. Know how to direct all aspects of your care.
11. If you use intermittent catheterization, you may want to consider using an indwelling catheter. You may wish to discuss this with your health care provider.
12. If you have a bowel program, complete earlier in day or day prior to flight.

Packing
1. Bring an extra duffle bag/carryon bag to put removed items from your wheelchair (cushion, sideguards, headrest, etc.)
2. Pack a carry-on bag with all things needed for personal care for two days, such as: medications, utensils, extra clothing, equipment needed for catheterization and bowel program (changes in your program may arise when traveling), supplies related to autonomic dysreflexia, etc. As an experienced traveler says, “You do not want to leave your bowel program behind.” Talk with your nurse or doctor about antibiotics, in case of urinary tract infection.
3. If you have an air cushion, bring the pump and patch kit.
4. Pack inexpensive tools needed to take apart wheelchair in an easily accessible place.
5. Pack pictures of wheelchair.
6. Label all parts of wheelchair with your name, phone number, and name of the part.
7. May want to use a rolling suitcase and use curb-side check-in. For clothing , anticipate climate at destination. Please refer to references below for specific recommendations.

Day of Travel
1. At all times, keep your sense of humor!
2. Wear very comfortable clothing.
3. Airplanes can be cold during the flight or hot when sitting on the tarmac. Wear layered clothing, roomy shoes so you can layer socks.
4. Some people use a leg bag and bring a second one to drain the first.
5. Allow extra time for check in, etc.(especially first time traveling).
6. Plan your fluid and salt intake, keeping in mind ability to access bathroom on plane.

At the Airport
1. Arrive early and check-in as soon as possible.
2. Ask for a gate check tag for wheelchair.
3. For power wheelchair users, be prepared to inform the agent that you have gel batteries.
4. Do not surrender your wheelchair until on the jetway.
5. Request that your wheelchair be returned to you on the jetway, not baggage claim.

Security
1. Anticipate explaining to security that you require the tools to take apart your wheelchair so it can be stowed in the cargo hold. Tools still may be confiscated (thus the inexpensive tools).
2. If you carry a backpack on your wheelchair, be prepared to remove it and send it through the X-ray machine.
Anticipate anywhere from a few minutes to 1.5 hours to get through security (not including the time waiting in line to get to security)

At the Gate
1. When you arrive at the gate, check in immediately or as soon as the agent arrives. Make sure your name is on the list for stowing a wheelchair in cargo hold. This is important because airlines have limited space in the cargo hold for wheelchairs and the space is provided on a first come first serve basis. If your wheelchair does not make the flight, it will come on the next available flight. In the meanwhile, the airline will provide a standard manual wheelchair at your destination airport.
2. Reconfirm that your wheelchair is returned to you at the jetway, not the baggage claim.
3. At the end of the jetway, you will transfer/be transferred to an airline aisle chair (average seat width 14”) and be wheeled onto the plane by airline personnel.
4. Remove all removable parts of the wheelchair (sideguards, cushion, armrests, headrests, lap trays, footrests, etc.) and place them in the duffle bag and carry it on the plane. Anticipate that if a part is removable it will be lost by the airline. Also anticipate any adjustable part to be reconfigured when you receive your wheelchair at your destination. Know how to put your wheelchair back together. If you can do without all of the removable parts for your time at the airport, pack them in your checked luggage. It makes getting on and off the plane faster and easier.
5. Keep your cushion out.
6. For manual wheelchairs fold the back down and secure it with string or zip ties. Make your wheelchair as compact as possible. Deflate your tires slightly (to accommodate the air pressure changes in the cargo hold). Secure your wheels to the frame.
7. For power wheelchair, disconnect batteries or inform airline personnel how to disassemble battery.

On the Plane
1. Place your cushion on the plane seat.
2. Transfer onto the plane seat. If you are dependent for transfers or require some assistance, two to three airline personnel will lift you from the aisle chair over the non-removable armrest onto the plane seat. Be prepared to direct these people. Anticipate this transfer not to be like the transfers your caregiver does or the ones in the hospital. Most of the time, directing one person clasping their arms together under yours and one person picking up your legs under your knees is sufficient. Remind them to clear the armrest if it is not removable.
3. Keep in mind that the plane seat is not designed for someone with positioning needs or insensate skin. This seat back reclines only slightly. The seat is fairly narrow in width. The armrest on the aisle seat does not flip back. In a regular seat, there is not much room to maneuver; pressure releases are difficult to do unless you can do a press up. At the bulkhead, a caregiver can usually help with a forward or lateral pressure release. Find some way to do pressure releases!
4. If you use a catheter on long flights, bring a urinal or second leg bag to drain the catheter bag. Check that you are not sitting on the catheter tube or that the bag is compressed or leaking.
5. Confirm with flight attendant that your chair was loaded and make sure it will be waiting for you when you land. Prior to landing, ask the flight attendant to confirm that your chair will be delivered to the jetway and ask that they keep an eye on it for you.
6. When the reverse thrusters (the “air brakes”) come on, it is easy to get thrown forward. Make sure that you have your seatbelt on and that you are holding on or someone is holding you when the plane lands. Note: Delta airlines has new hydraulic aisle chairs, which will allow for easier transfers.

Destination Airport
1. You will be the last to get off the plane.
2. The reverse of how you were loaded will happen.
3. Upon receiving your wheelchair on the jetway, do a quick inspection before you or your caregiver sets it up. If there is any damage go immediately to the airlines customer service and file a complaint. Use the pictures of the wheelchair you took prior to leaving home to demonstrate that the damage is new.
4. For power wheelchair, have caregiver turn and drive/tilt the chair before you transfer into it. It is much easier to direct a person to connect the proper wires when you are not in your chair.
5. If you have areas of decreased sensation or no sensation it is recommended that you perform a thorough skin check as soon as possible. If there is a non-fading area, plan to spend time off the affected area.

Repairs
1. Read the specific policies for that airline regarding repairs to damaged wheelchairs.
2. If going to somewhere with rough terrain, bring Fix-a-Flat.
3. If traveling internationally, try to keep the repair people from taking apart the wheelchair.

References:  Department of Transportation hotline for travelers with disabilities: 1-800-778-4838. General information, requests for written information and assistance with time-sensitive disability-related issues, complaints.

 Transportation Security Administration: www.tsa.gov  Society for Accessible Travel and Hospitality: www.SATH.org  United Spinal Association: www.unitedspinal.org

This is a video showing that crews used more than two people to lift the wheelchair on the ramp to store on the airplane. They didn't load it on its side like the other video and used more crew to help lift it. I can't tell if they allowed the ramp to run afterwards or they were just pulling it up the ramp.

If you feel the airline is not following the law and discussing the problem with airline personnel has not resolved the issue, there are other steps you can take.

1. Ask to speak with the CRO
All airlines are required to have a Complaints Resolution Official (CRO) immediately available (even if by phone) to resolve disagreements. You are entitled to talk with a CRO, who has authority to resolve complaints on behalf of the airline if you feel the airline is not following the ACAA rules.

2. Ask the CRO to confirm his/her decision with the pilot
Discussing the situation with the CRO is the best way to resolve issues and ultimately, the pilot has the final say when it comes to issues of passenger safety. Asking the CRO to confirm his or her decision with the pilot can add another layer of protection for you.

3. Contact the Department of Transportation
If you are still not satisfied with the airline’s response, you may contact the Department of Transportation’s consumer protection hotline at 1-800-778-4838 (voice) or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY).

The most important thing is to know your rights before you fly and to keep your cool. Making sure to plan ahead and allow plenty of time for accommodations to be made can also help make the flying experience more enjoyable

@RaySharpton

I don't know how others here feel about it, but I don't think I would advocate for disassembling any wheelchair (especially a motorized chair, other than the controller) because the more parts and pieces it is in, the greater the chance for something to happen to those constituent parts and pieces. Additionally, as you yourself noted, it is nigh on impossible to assemble/disassemble in the limited space outside the cabin door of the plane at the end of the Jetway.

Every airport that I have ever traveled to has (at least one) service elevator from the terminal level down to the tarmac. You may have to instruct the airport personnel that your device is to be taken down in the elevator to tarmac level, and is not eligible to be handed out the Jetway door. (It's still surprising to me how many gate crews try to shove a 150 pound ECV down Jetway stairs because it's "quicker".) This factor alone is why I always advocate for arriving extra early to your flight, and approaching gate agents as soon as they start to work your flight - the sooner they know that your personal mobility device has to go down to the tarmac via service elevator, the better. That allows them to call personnel to the gate to push the device to the elevator and then out to the tarmac.

I do have a set of (laminated) instructions that I hang off my personal scooter with a strip of Velcro One-Wrap that basically says "it's all set, just put it in the hold as is" and then offers information about the weight of the scooter as it is presented to the airline along with dimensions and information letting the ground crew know that the battery(s) and charger are traveling with me in a marked bag in the cabin.

BTW, there actually are wheelchair "suitcases" that are sold (they look like a giant roller bag for manual wheelchairs) but I don't think that you can take that to the gate for gate check purposes.

My personal ECV is super lightweight at 35 pounds with the battery, but despite that, I don't ever let the airline think they can fold or disassemble it in any way. They should be able to place/retrieve it from the hold exactly as it is.

My husband has worked for a major American carrier for 30 years as a mechanic and works both at the overhaul facility and flies around the world to fix AOGs... :)

@RaySharpton

I don't know how others here feel about it, but I don't think I would advocate for disassembling any wheelchair (especially a motorized chair, other than the controller) because the more parts and pieces it is in, the greater the chance for something to happen to those constituent parts and pieces. Additionally, as you yourself noted, it is nigh on impossible to assemble/disassemble in the limited space outside the cabin door of the plane at the end of the Jetway.

Every airport that I have ever traveled to has (at least one) service elevator from the terminal level down to the tarmac. You may have to instruct the airport personnel that your device is to be taken down in the elevator to tarmac level, and is not eligible to be handed out the Jetway door. (It's still surprising to me how many gate crews try to shove a 150 pound ECV down Jetway stairs because it's "quicker".) This factor alone is why I always advocate for arriving extra early to your flight, and approaching gate agents as soon as they start to work your flight - the sooner they know that your personal mobility device has to go down to the tarmac via service elevator, the better. That allows them to call personnel to the gate to push the device to the elevator and then out to the tarmac.

I do have a set of (laminated) instructions that I hang off my personal scooter with a strip of Velcro One-Wrap that basically says "it's all set, just put it in the hold as is" and then offers information about the weight of the scooter as it is presented to the airline along with dimensions and information letting the ground crew know that the battery(s) and charger are traveling with me in a marked bag in the cabin.

BTW, there actually are wheelchair "suitcases" that are sold (they look like a giant roller bag for manual wheelchairs) but I don't think that you can take that to the gate for gate check purposes.

My personal ECV is super lightweight at 35 pounds with the battery, but despite that, I don't ever let the airline think they can fold or disassemble it in any way. They should be able to place/retrieve it from the hold exactly as it is.

My husband has worked for a major American carrier for 30 years as a mechanic and works both at the overhaul facility and flies around the world to fix AOGs... :)

Thank you, mamabunny for your comments.

I don't know how others here feel about it, but I don't think I would advocate for disassembling any wheelchair (especially a motorized chair, other than the controller) because the more parts and pieces it is in, the greater the chance for something to happen to those constituent parts and pieces.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want to disassemble my scooter nor future wheelchair either. I would remove anything that I could that might be valuable or broken or lost.

You may have to instruct the airport personnel that your device is to be taken down in the elevator to tarmac level, and is not eligible to be handed out the Jetway door. (It's still surprising to me how many gate crews try to shove a 150-pound ECV down Jetway stairs because it's "quicker".)

This is great advice and I am going to do this from now on as soon as the gate agent arrives.

This is what I want to do, but I am not very good with using Word on my computer to make these tags. I think that you have an excellent idea of using lamination and velcro.

You have to take your batteries in the cabin. My scooter batteries are U1, Gel, dry cell batteries and they don't make me remove them. The new scooter that I am thinking about buy have two lithium-ion batteries and I may have to take those onboard in the cabin.

My scooter is 168 lbs including the battery. I hate it when they turn it on its side because I can usually see the scratches or some damage. It looks so bad now it would be hard to tell if it was damaged any more, but I still take photos.

The new heavy duty electric wheelchair I want to buy is about 56 lbs. It does fold. And it can come with a travel wrap for some protection.

I agree that they should be able to place/retrieve it from the hold exactly as it is.

From now on when I travel Delta via Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport, I am going to request that they take it down via the elevator instead of using the shoot or having one or two people trying to carry it down the stairs at the jetway door. I will tell the person when I check my luggage and then again at the gate.

Whenever I see someone else, I will recommend them to do that, too.

Thank you again. I learned a lot from your experience.

Now I need to work on making some laminated tags.

It looks like they didn't know how heavy that was. At least the one guy gets it upright and tries to check for damage (and looks pretty appalled at the one who just leaves). The one who just dropped it and walked away should be fired.

You have to take your batteries in the cabin. My scooter batteries are U1, Gel, dry cell batteries and they don't make me remove them. The new scooter that I am thinking about buy have two lithium-ion batteries and I may have to take those onboard in the cabin...

...Now I need to work on making some laminated tags.

Yep, those lithium-ion batteries typically *have* to travel in the cabin with you. I have seen some exceptions - it seems to be (to a certain extent) how each airline decides to interpret and enforce the FAA rules LOL. Luckily, my batteries lift in and out easily, and disconnect easily as well, so it's no big deal; it literally takes less than a minute. Because they are actually "structural" to the unit, my husband and father-in-law crafted a "spacer" that is the exact size of the battery that I put in place of the battery at the time I hand it off to the gate crew. This keeps the scooter from being inoperable if they happen to lay it on it's side, and then something shifts over during flight ops and squashes the frame out of alignment. If the frame gets bent, then the battery will no longer fit properly, and I will be stuck; hence the need for the "spacer". The manufacturer of my scooter has a battery bag that is perfect to carry the batteries and a charging set for each battery (I purchased those separately so that I can fully charge all my batteries every night) and I leave a hangtag on it that has the universal blue handicapped symbol on it that matches the tag on my scooter.

Remember that you can "laminate" with clear packing tape for smaller tags in a pinch! :) I happen to have a small home laminator unit, but I have also used clear sheet protectors that I have sealed shut with clear packing tape in a pinch as well. Once you get a set of tags that you like, then you can always go to FedEx/Kinkos, or Office Depot (or just order some cold laminate sheets from Amazon) and make it "permanent" :)

It looks like they didn't know how heavy that was. At least the one guy gets it upright and tries to check for damage (and looks pretty appalled at the one who just leaves). The one who just dropped it and walked away should be fired.

So, it was determined that he just walked away, never came back, etc? And I'm not thinking they dropped it on purpose, as most people seem to be projecting. But the ramp does end with a drop, so what are they supposed to do to get it off? The whole process does need to be revamped, for certain, but to malign two workers who are trying to do their job with what they are given?

So, it was determined that he just walked away, never came back, etc? And I'm not thinking they dropped it on purpose, as most people seem to be projecting. But the ramp does end with a drop, so what are they supposed to do to get it off? The whole process does need to be revamped, for certain, but to malign two workers who are trying to do their job with what they are given?
The problem is they were doing this in a hurried manner, rather than waiting for the proper equipment, which as far as I am aware is available to them so that there is no drop.

I don't think they dropped it on purpose.

But... Those ramp workers have *known* dead-weight lift capabilities that they are required to be able to perform as a standard part of their job. Additionally, they have been trained for how to deal with large, heavy, bulky items, and (especially at an airport as large as Atlanta) they should have the proper equipment and manpower present to prevent this from happening.

They deal with these mobility devices on a daily basis, both loading and unloading them. What we see on the video happened for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it appears that the chair was loaded onto the conveyor belt on it's side, coming from the hold on the plane. That tells us that "items shifted during flight" (every hear a Flight Attendant warn you about that?) and that most likely, this chair fell over in the hold and wound up on it's side. The guy(s) working in the hold carried it over to the door, and loaded it on the belt that way, because that's how they found it, and that's how they grabbed it. Should it have tipped over in flight? Ideally, no, but this *is* a possible outcome anytime you have to gate check any kind of item. Don't forget to feel sorry for the person who's wheelchair or ECV or other DME was underneath *that* chair, because it's probably toasted as well.

Secondly, when it came down the belt on it's side, they should have stopped the belt, and when they realized how heavy it was, they should have stopped and gotten a third (or if needed, fourth) person to help lift the device, correct it's orientation, and set it down on the tarmac properly. (although if the two guys in the hold could lift it out on to the conveyor... they should have been able to handle it as well. Just sayin')

None of that happened.

This whole situation was preventable, if:
- the hold had been loaded properly to begin with (by the crew at the previous airport - they have skin in this game too, don't forget)
- the crew inside the hold unloading it had stopped and notified ground workers when they saw the device on it's side
- the ground crew had stopped the conveyor to get additional assistance, rather than trying to hurry up and get the device off the belt, and onto the ground.

It's also directly a function of the tight turn-around times that most airlines are held to these days, but that's another topic for another forum.

This - what we see on this video - is why I prepare my personal ECV for the hold - I use the "spacer" (that I mentioned above) that helps prevent structural damage, and I make sure that I leave nothing on it that can get caught, fall off, get broken, etc. - not even the back rest. My personal mobility device is made from the same structural aluminum that plane is made of (no kidding) and while it looks kinda "bare bones", it can get tossed around pretty hard before it gets so broken it won't go. It might not be the prettiest ECV on Main Street at MK, but it's one of the sturdiest, and when I fly, I don't worry as much.

I prepare my personal ECV for the hold - I use the "spacer" (that I mentioned above) that helps prevent structural damage, and I make sure that I leave nothing on it that can get caught, fall off, get broken, etc. - not even the back rest. My personal mobility device is made from the same structural aluminum that plane is made of (no kidding) and while it looks kinda "bare bones", it can get tossed around pretty hard before it gets so broken it won't go. It might not be the prettiest ECV on Main Street at MK, but it's one of the sturdiest, and when I fly, I don't worry as much.

Hi, mamabunny.

What is the type of spacer that you use to prevent structural damage?

If you don't mind, could you show me a photo(s) of your scooter and how you prepare it before and after the plane flight?

If you don't want to show it, that's okay, too.

The problem is they were doing this in a hurried manner, rather than waiting for the proper equipment, which as far as I am aware is available to them so that there is no drop.

If they were hurried, it's probably because someone was hurrying them along, as there's nothing as crazy as an airport trying to stay on schedule. Is that equipment right there, or at another part of the airport, do you know? Do they have one for each gate? It's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I wouldn't put all the blame on the guys trying to unload it.

If they were hurried, it's probably because someone was hurrying them along, as there's nothing as crazy as an airport trying to stay on schedule. Is that equipment right there, or at another part of the airport, do you know? Do they have one for each gate? It's an issue that needs to be addressed, but I wouldn't put all the blame on the guys trying to unload it.
I would, for example, in California, DOSH would require that the employees refuse to do anything until proper equipment is provided, if they unloaded before proper equipment was provided they would be considered to be at fault personally, not the company. Now if they asked and the company refused to provide the proper equipment, then the company would also be held liable, but they would still be liable as well.

Hi, mamabunny.

What is the type of spacer that you use to prevent structural damage?

If you don't mind, could you show me a photo(s) of your scooter and how you prepare it before and after the plane flight?

If you don't want to show it, that's okay, too.

No, I don't mind at all! :)

Currently, Angus is in the back of my car, awaiting tomorrows adventures, but I will try to grab some quick pictures for you in the next day or so :)

If you want to see what he looks like, head over to Travelscoot. I leave the backrest off when I am at WDW because that way I can mount/dismount like a tricycle, which is quicker and easier for me. The handlebars drop (so that you can roll under a standard height dining table and most desks) and I make sure they are locked in the "down" position prior to handing him off to the gate crew, so aside from removing (before we leave home) his seat back, undercarriage lights that I got from Amazon (and attach with Velcro One-Wrap) and the cup holder (which is a modified Robocup) all I have to do at the airport is pop out the battery, and pop the spacer in. I leave the red storage triangle attached, but make sure the small front storage pouch is empty. I also pop off the little LED headlights and taillights that I got on Amazon - all of those accessories are shipped in my luggage and put them back on when we get to Orlando, and then remove them again prior to the flight home. I don't need the seat back, undercarriage lighting, cupholder or headlights/taillights for the airport! :)

We 3D printed my spacer, BTW - my father-in-law subsequently made one out of wood, and painted it to matched the battery bag, but I use the 3D printed version simply because it's very lightweight! The spacer is about ½ to ⅔ the height of the standard battery, and the exact same size lengthwise and widthwise. I use the same Velcro straps that hold the battery in place, but add a length of Velcro One-Wrap to each strap to "extend" the straps so that they wrap fully around and are very well secured.

Pictures soon! :)

As promised, pictures of my mighty steed, Angus (as you may recall, named after Merida's loyal and faithful companion, who always brought her home safely from all of her adventures!)

Caption is beneath each photo. Hope this helps!

ready-to-ride.jpg
This is Angus - he is ready to ride! :) Not pictured is the modified Robocup cup holder, and his little headlight/taillights I got on Amazon (bike lights that attach with rubber straps) His handlebars are in the "up" position, and his ("original gold" style) battery is installed. (I have a total of 3 battery packs and 2 different Travelscoots; our daughter rides Maximus now for her personal mobility device) The battery that came with Angus is nearly identical to the one in the picture, but is silver, and has a new style connector that is much easier to use than the original battery connector. Travelscoot gave me "old to new" connectors for both types of batteries so that we can use Angus' battery with Max, and Max's batteries with Angus! :) When he is in the back of my car, the foot pedals fold up out of the way. (The foot pedals are sold separately - my hubby trimmed down the sharp metal corners and sanded them smooth so that I don't scratch my feet or ankles on them.) I forgot to add that when I fly, I use a long Velcro One-Wrap strap around the foot pedals to keep them in the up position, out of the way.

spacer.jpg

Here you can see the 3D printed spacer for Angus' battery. This is where it travels when we are moving between connecting flights. We created the holes for a couple of purposes; first so that it helps on weight (it's already fairly light weight, but every little bit helps!) and secondly so that I can "weave" the Velcro One-Wrap straps through to help keep the spacer tightly in place during flight. And finally, I can also loop that same Velcro One-Wrap through, and secure it to the frame when we are traveling.

battery-spacer-velcro.jpg

The Velcro, the spacer and the battery.

battery-vs-spacer.jpg

I was wrong - the spacer is less than half the height of the battery, but is the exact same length and width.

ready-to-fly.jpg

Here's Angus, ready to fly! His handlebars are dropped, and the spacer is installed. The only things left to do? Fold up and secure the foot pedals, put him in the car, go to the airport, and fly away to MCO! :)

This is why I’m afraid to take my powerchair on a flight. Because of these horror stories of the ground crew ruining 30, 40 thousand dollar chairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!