A warning about a Disney product

GTSurgery

Earning My Ears
Just an FYI, I'm not sure where this post should go, but as this product was purchased on a recent trip to Downtown Disney's World of Disney, and it may affect families, I'll post it here.

Just got back a week ago from an incredible trip to Disney. Took my 3 year old son Christmas shopping and we purchased a Buzz Lightyear wrist watch at World of Disney. It has Buzz on the Front, and a button that causes multiple different colored lights to light up the bezel. Pretty cool watch, and he loved it. We loved it, until last night. Sometime, somehow while he was sleeping, the button for the lights got stuck. The watch got too hot and gave my son 1st and 3rd degree burns from the metal portion of the watch. Nothing life threatening or that will cause major problems long term, but a bad enough burn that it hurts him, which is more than enough for me. I will be placing a call to the World of Disney customer service when they open on Monday, and this product needs to be recalled. Just a warning for other Disney parents.

You most definately have to email/call them!
I bought a disney arial barbie and they now have the hard plastic pieces weaved into their head, so when you cut them there is still a sharp piece of plastic sticking out. My nephew ended up cutting his face on it, not knowing it would scratch him if he hugged it. I wrote an email to Disney, received an email back asking for the best time to reach me within two days so they could do an incident report and let product safety know.

They called and we chatted and I told them I had emailed Target as well to let them know of the problem since they were selling these products. He sent me an email in order to take pictures of the doll so that I could email it to them. Unfortunately, the plastic piece is so small you can't see it sticking out.

Thank you for posting about this! This is one item that I didn't buy for christmas and am glad of it now!!

Just an FYI, I'm not sure where this post should go, but as this product was purchased on a recent trip to Downtown Disney's World of Disney, and it may affect families, I'll post it here.

Just got back a week ago from an incredible trip to Disney. Took my 3 year old son Christmas shopping and we purchased a Buzz Lightyear wrist watch at World of Disney. It has Buzz on the Front, and a button that causes multiple different colored lights to light up the bezel. Pretty cool watch, and he loved it. We loved it, until last night. Sometime, somehow while he was sleeping, the button for the lights got stuck. The watch got too hot and gave my son 1st and 3rd degree burns from the metal portion of the watch. Nothing life threatening or that will cause major problems long term, but a bad enough burn that it hurts him, which is more than enough for me. I will be placing a call to the World of Disney customer service when they open on Monday, and this product needs to be recalled. Just a warning for other Disney parents.

Sorry this happened to your son.

I do have question - did you let your son sleep with the watch on? Somehow, I don't think this is it's intended use.

Not sure it it would be recalled, as I'm sure that you did not use the watch properly. It takes a lot of work to actually enact product recalls. One of which is that the product is used correctly. That is not to say that your son deserved to be burned, but as soon as you tell them he slept with it on for many hours, I think they are going to have issues with that. Maybe I misunderstood your post?

Hope your son is feeling better, Tiger

You need to report this to Consumer Product Safety (a federal agency). Sounds quite dangerous and the kind of thing that can cause a recall.

PS. Hope your ds feels better soon.

I do have question - did you let your son sleep with the watch on? Somehow, I don't think this is it's intended use.
Not sure it it would be recalled, as I'm sure that you did not use the watch properly. It takes a lot of work to actually enact product recalls. One of which is that the product is used correctly. That is not to say that your son deserved to be burned, but as soon as you tell them he slept with it on for many hours, I think they are going to have issues with that. Maybe I misunderstood your post?

I think sleeping with a watch on is perfectly normal. My 11 y.o. never takes hers off....ever. I think a lot of people wear their watches around the clock. I don't see what the big deal is:confused3

I do think a product that can cause burns (a child's product no less) should be recalled. I swear it's all these cheap Chinese products, WDW is full of them, the cheapest quality you can imagine. Someone needs to held accountable and I hope that in the future there will be a backlash against Chinese made products (I guess lead poisoning wasn't enough of a deterrent:confused3 )

I think sleeping with a watch on is perfectly normal. My 11 y.o. never takes hers off....ever. I think a lot of people wear their watches around the clock. I don't see what the big deal is:confused3

I do think a product that can cause burns (a child's product no less) should be recalled. I swear it's all these cheap Chinese products, WDW is full of them, the cheapest quality you can imagine. Someone needs to held accountable and I hope that in the future there will be a backlash against Chinese made products (I guess lead poisoning wasn't enough of a deterrent:confused3 )

I don't agree wearing a watch to bed is normal at all. I just asked several people, and they all looked at me like I had 10 heads. Totally agree that many products are crap, which is why wearing on one's skin for hours upon end, is never a good idea, IMHO.

It should be reported, but again, I doubt they will recall it, unless of course, they get major injuries reported. Each report is important though, as they track them.

Tiger

I don't agree wearing a watch to bed is normal at all. I just asked several people, and they all looked at me like I had 10 heads. Totally agree that many products are crap, which is why wearing on one's skin for hours upon end, is never a good idea, IMHO.

It should be reported, but again, I doubt they will recall it, unless of course, they get major injuries reported. Each report is important though, as they track them.

Tiger

:thumbsup2, Op, make sure to take pictures of your son's wrist as well!

Not to mention the fire hazard---if it got hot enough it could set the sheets or something on fire.

I agree with the cheap Chinese products. In fact, it's been interesting to see that after the last backlash re. Chinese safety a couple of years ago, the mugs and such at WDW started saying "Made In Thailand" rather than "Made in China". I have a feeling that Disney didn't want to be held accountable for potential lead in the glaze and thus the switch.

The flash point of cotton is over 400 degrees. It would have caused full thickness burns very quickly at that temp. I dobt it would have set sheets on fire. I feel you should report it, but be prepared to be told that it was not ment to be slept in. I would never let a child sleep in a watch for fear that it would becouse entangled in the sheets and cut off circulation ects, plus anything with lights, or mechanical parts could easily be triggered in the noght just by rolling over.

Also wondering about the recommended age for the product. Watches without light-up components that I've seen at Disney have been 6 and even older, and up, so I'd be surprised if they intended this for a 3 year old.

I too believe that sleeping with a watch on is out of the norm. Hubby used to keep his on, but it was keeping me awake, so I helped him understand that he needed to lose that weird habit.

I can understand why a 3 year old would want to, which is another reason I doubt this watch was intended for those that young.

I am sorry your little dude got burned, though. I hope he woke up quick enough that it wasn't too bad. thinking about if that had happened around here...we have a family bed, so we ALL would have known immediately about it! In fact we probably would have been burned, too.

When I was a kid I had a pink flowered Timex with an elastic fabric band that I wore for YEARS and never took off. i don't think wearing a watch 24/7 for a kid is strange. And one that lights up? Well that's just screaming to be taken to bed.

Nevertheless, any children's product that gets hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns is a safety hazard and needs to be recalled.

I agree I had a swatch watch as a teenager that I never took off for years. This cold of happened while he was awake too. It could get caught up on a heavy sweater in the winter. No need to take it out on the mom.

I have a thirteen year old aspergers child who sleeps with the strangest stuff while watches are a much hated thing. One day you never know. She has slept with one of those buzz light year glow spin thingies and she has slept with a finger puppet of godzilla. It goes the whole gamete what that girl will sleep with. Things that are obviously geared towards being worn on the body should be kept safe. End of story.

Regardless of whether or not this was their intended use if something like this happened when it was on his wrist asleep I'm sure something like this could happen when a child was awake.

To the OP - definitely contact them! I'd be really upset if this happened to my DD.

I personally am always wearing my watch, including while in bed. I don't understand how it's "weird"? It's how I check the time when I wake up in the middle of the night because my cell phone/alarm clock is too bright and will wake me up more.

I hate not wearing it. And a watch should be able to be worn all the time because kids would do the same if they really like something.

Definitely call them, hopefully it'll be recalled....:( I'm sorry about your son though, that REALLY sucks! Hopefully he is a trooper.

Everyone I know that wears a watch wears it all the time... and to bed. So, that just seems like a strange concept that watches are not meant to be slept in. :/ Anyhow, something should be done for you and the product should be recalled because that is definitely not safe for anyone.

I never slept while wearing a watch, but that was mainly because I hated wearing a watch so I took it off as soon as I could. However, I know many people that do.

Thing with this is that it is not unusual for a young child to fall asleep in a stroller or something while out in the Florida heat visiting the parks. I definitely think this is something Disney should be made aware of.

If a child's product burns a child, it should be recalled whether its "normal" to wear a watch to bed or not. If the child was trying to catch the thing on fire and it burned him it would be different but just sleeping with it on? No.

And what does age have to do with it? Would it have not burned a 6 year old? :confused3

There is obviously something wrong with the watch and it should be recalled.

OP, please let Disney know ASAP so that this doesn't happen to another child.

If a child's product burns a child, it should be recalled whether its "normal" to wear a watch to bed or not. If the child was trying to catch the thing on fire and it burned him it would be different but just sleeping with it on? No.

And what does age have to do with it? Would it have not burned a 6 year old? :confused3

There is obviously something wrong with the watch and it should be recalled.

OP, please let Disney know ASAP so that this doesn't happen to another child.

I agree, age has nothing to do with it. It doesn't sound like he was doing anything with the watch that a 6 year old wouldn't do. The watch burned him, which shouldn't happen no matter what age the person is. Something worn on the skin should NOT be getting hot enough to burn someone...period! Sounds like it easily could have happened during the day while he was awake playing. The button might have gotten stuck in the on position no matter what he was doing. If the lights got stuck on and the watch got hot enough to burn someone, there clearly is a defect in the product.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter