A WDW expert and a newbie attempt to vacation together! April 2015 update 11/14/15

Yay, another Becky adventure! It's so different not to see DH along for the ride, but I love getting a newbie's perspective too. Love your food reviews, as always!

Wow! It seems like you saw quite a lot to me. What time were your various meal breaks at? Just to assess time between activities.

We ate pretty early... I think lunch was probably around 11am and dinner I believe the reservation was at 5:30.

I think the view of the theatre when you are heading down the street is nice, though I think I will miss the hat.

I will look forward to a day where we can take it easy a bit and know for a fact we can do the whole park and then go back to the resort for a bit before fantasmic.

That is true, it is nice when the park doesn't have so much to do that you feel like you have to be there for 12 hours to get everything in. Taking a break is always nice :)

I'm so so sad about this. I never got a chance to do it and I was really hoping to in October when we booked our trip.

Yeah...I think we'll definitely plan to go to DTD or something or hang by the pool after this park...

That sounds really yummy...almost like a meal though!

Disneyland still has the drawing class, so I'm looking forward to doing it there when I go. I really hope they eventually bring it back to Hollywood Studios.

Yay! I'm glad i found your TR! I can't wait to go with you in December!

Glad you're here! I can't wait til December!!

Yay, another Becky adventure! It's so different not to see DH along for the ride, but I love getting a newbie's perspective too. Love your food reviews, as always!

Haha I know, it's a very different sort of feeling for the trip when you travel with someone different than who you're usually with... but I like being able to switch it up and see other people's perspectives as well!

Epcot

This was our Epcot day - one I was looking forward to because of Flower and Garden festival! They had new topiaries out from this year.

We headed for Test Track since that was the one ride we didn't have a FP+ for. I let Sulley do all of the designing of the car, since I've done it before, and he had a lot of fun with that. It turned out pretty funny looking!

After that we headed over to Spaceship Earth to use our FP+ for that. This is one that DH doesn't particularly care for so we don't ride it that often, but it was nice to be able to do it again. Ater that we had a little bit of time before our FP for Soarin', so we headed over to the Land and rode Living with the Land. I always enjoy this one, and even more so since I've done the Behind the Seeds tour. I feel like I know special secret details lol.

After that it was on to Soarin'. Sulley was a little nervous because he doesn't like heights, but he really enjoyed it and remarked on what a unique experience it was.
I told him it was necessary for me to visit the Festival Center so I could get a pin for my collection - I picked the one with the Buzz Lightyear topiary on it. Speaking of which, we did Mission: Space next! Sulley was willing to do either side, orange or green. I love the more intense one but ultimately decided to do the less intense one because I still had the lingering symptoms of pneumonia, paricularly with my ears popping, and I didn't know how it might affect that.

Then it was what I had been waiting for - sampling food and drinks at the Flower and Garden booths around the World Showcase! Anna and Elsa greeted us:

We started off at the Pineapple Promenade. i won't share all of the food pics here (that will be in the dining review!), but some highlights. If you absolutely can't wait for the dining review (I'm super behind on it), you can check out the blog post I did with pictures and reviews of everything we ate: http://www.disneyinyourday.com/2015/05/12/visiting-the-flower-and-garden-food-booths/

We shared everything so we could try as much as possible. Well, everything except stuff with seafood in it as Sulley is not a fan of fish. Here we enjoyed the pineapple dog and mixed Berry tea cocktail. The pineapple dog was really, really good and the cocktail was nice though pricey.

We hit up the booths in this area and also visited the butterfly house:

In Canada we went to watch the film, and then wandered to the UK where we explored the shops. I love all of the Rose and Crown merchandise they have in there now, and I especially want this t-shirt!

More food booths and shops were visited as we made our way around the World. Check out the coconut tres leches cake. So moist and delicious!

In America we decided to try the beer sampler. These were all really unique beers! I think the Floridian Hefeweizen was my favorite. Billy's Chilies was just so weird - it was really spicy! I couldn't handle more than a couple of small sips.

While there we decided we could do with some sitting for awhile, so we watched voices of Liberty and then went into the show. I hadn't seen this in ages and it was longer than I remembered. I'm generally interested in history, but I don't know if I was just wiped out or what... but I definitely slept through a good portion of this show.

We continued our way around the World where I saw this awesome Miss Piggy topiary!

My two absolute favorite food items were probably the next two. The lemon blueberry tart from Florida Fresh, and the candied strawberries from China!

We walked quickly through the shops in Norway, but without Maelstrom there there's not a lot to do. Then in Mexico we did the boat ride and finished up the food booths. We still had some time before our dinner reservation, so we rode Nemo and then went to Turtle Talk. There were some pretty funny moments, which is why I always make a point to attend this show. One little girl asked, "What do you talk so funny?" And Crush asked what she meant, and she said, "You know, crazy!" Then the next little girl said, "I just got here today." And Crush waited but that was all she said, so he replied. "Awesome. Anyone else have a question? Or a statement, apparently we're taking those too." And finally the last kid asked, "Why do you have dots on your face?" And Crush sort of looked around and said, "Well, I can't see them, but I'm gonna go with good looks!"

After that we went to Biergarten for dinner, where we shared a table with one other family. The atmosphere was fun, but I didn't think the food was very good at all, especially for the price. Sulley agreed and said in retrospect he would have preferred to just get more food from the booths that we didn't try. Plus I have to say our server was pretty bad. It's a buffet so it shouldn't have been too difficult, but I literally had to ask for a glass of water three times before I got it - after I'd finished eating. After a hot day in the theme parks, I shouldn't have to wait that long for water. At least there was fun entertainment!

Next we watched a sneak preview for Tomorrowland. It looked a lot more interesting than the previews had made it seem (I have since seen the movie and do think the previews were pretty poor but hte movie was pretty good). Finally, we staked out a spot for Illuminations. We sat on the ground for awhile before finally getting up for the fireworks. It was beautiful!

Since it was extra magic hours we did Soarin' one more time. But we were both pretty tired by this point so after that we headed back to the resort to get some sleep!

Magic Kingdom

Today was Magic Kingdom Day! We left the room at 8:15, intending to get there in time for the little opening show. When we arrived, we found the park had opened at 8am! I felt bad for not checking to see if there were updated hours. When I planned our itinerary a few weeks prior it was set for 9, but I realize they can change it at the last minute. Luckily the park was still pretty empty at that point so we still got on rides without too long of a wait. We walked up to the castle area and the first thing I noticed was the new hub areas. It's really pretty!

We headed to Tomorrowland first, where we rode Buzz Lightyear. Because we had a FP+ for Space Mountain later and I knew we would be back, we headed into Fantasyland to do some of those rides before it got too crowded. Winnie the Pooh had pretty much no wait, so we decided to do that one! It was weird to see the queue so empty.

Also while we were in Fantasyland we did Under the Sea, Enchanted Tales with Belle, and It's a Small World with minimal waits. Sulley expressed interest in Small World and I realized throughout our MK day that he was really interested in a lot of the historical/original rides, which I thought was really neat. I kinda expected him to be more into the big rides like the roller coasters because he's not a Disney lover like I am, but he definitely had an appreciation for this park, which was awesome.

Next it was over to the Haunted Mansion, which I really enjoy now! It might be a little silly but I used to be a little bit nervous, especially of the graveyard scene when the little heads are popping up, but I've done it enough times now that I can know what's coming and just appreciate it. We had a FP+ next for Splash Mountain so we did that, and luckily didn't get too wet!

I had kinda thought we'd do Big Thunder next, but the wait was quite long (55 minutes), so I decided we'd check back later. Instead we were a bit hungry and had lunch. I gave Sulley a run down of the quick service options in the area, and he decided on waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow. Sounds good to me! I went with the nutella and fruit (a totally acceptable lunch at Disney if you ask me!) and he had the spicy chicken.

We waited in a somewhat long line for Pirates (maybe 30-35 minutes) and then had a FP+ for Space Mountain, which was tons of fun. While in Tomorrowland we also did Monsters Inc., which is honestly one of my favorite attractions. And then I decided enough time had passed that it was snack time! I knew what I was getting - my absolute favorite Disney treat:

The citrus swirl! But while we were in Adventureland, I convinced Sulley to try a dole whip. He loves pineapple and decided to go with the dole whip float. I was surprised to learn that they don't do the swirls anymore - they used to be able to swirl the pineapple with vanilla or orange, but now it's all pineapple. He described his dole whip as, quote, "insanely good."

We then rode Mine Train with our FP+, and then decided to take an afternoon nap break. Upon our return to the Magic Kingdom I stopped to pick up some Sorcerer's cards, and then it was time for our dinner reservation at my favorite restaurant - Be Our Guest! We were seated in the West Wing, which was really cool and place where I'd never been seated before (though I had popped in while there before to look around).

I got the steak, and with the garlic herb butter and the seasoned pomme frites it's an amazing meal. And for some reason towards the end of the meal they parked the dessert cart right next to our table so it was staring at us for awhile. Of course we had to get some things!

After that we watched Mickey's Philharmagic while our stomachs settled a bit, and then I asked Sulley what he wanted to do next. He surprised me a bit by saying he wanted to meet some characters! I didn't think he would be into that. I told him which characters would be around and we went to visit Ariel first. She was very talkative and complimented my bag, telling me about how she had a bag once that broke and she patched it up with some seaweed.

Then we did Carousel of Progress, which Sulley wasn't sure about when I described it to him - but it ended up being one of his favorite attractions in all of Disney World! We finally made our way back to Big Thunder because we had grabbed a FP+ earlier in the day. It was fun to ride at nighttime. Next up was staking out a spot for Wishes, something I kind of dread because I hate crowds but love the fireworks. We actually found a decent area in front of Crystal Palace, and though it was off to the side it was a really nice view.

We joined the crowds streaming toward the exit after Wishes, but instead of leaving we went to visit talking Mickey! He was quite funny, showing us a "magic trick" where he guessed which card you had drawn - except Mickey rigged the deck and every card in it was the queen of hearts! Oh Mickey.

We then had to do something that I always do in Magic Kingdom called "late night laugh floor." We visited Monsters Inc. around 11pm, and when the crowd is mostly adults I find it to be funnier. The highlight was the guy in the beginning that got up and danced when the music played. He was so into it that they played the music and put him up on the screen twice more randomly throughout the show! We enjoyed a snack of popcorn after this and then it was extra magic hours. We were planning to do Space Mountain again, which is why we were hanging around in Tomorrowland... and then found out it was having technical difficulties. So we went to Splash, which apparently isn't open for Extra magic hours. We went through Adventureland so I could use my sorcerer's cards, and then on a whim decided to check out the tiki room.

Despite EMH things had pretty long waits and it had been a long day, so we called it and night and headed back to get some rest.

Great TR so far!! I am so excited to try the food at F&W after seeing the stuff you had!

Typhoon Lagoon and Beaches and Cream

Sorry for dropping the ball for awhile! We went away to Disneyland then I jumped into some pretty intensive rehearsals for the play I'm in - but I'll try to get an update up now! I've also been concentrating on my Disney blog a lot so much of my Disney writing goes there if you're interested (www.disneyinyourday.com).

So on Sunday we were off to Typhoon Lagoon! I wasn't sure what the crowds would be like but it wasn't bad at all.

Because of the low crowds we were able to ride everything we wanted (which was pretty much everything!) before lunch. My favorites were Crush n Gusher, Mayday Falls and the wave pool. They have such a great wave pool there, and a fun lazy river too.

We had lunch at Leaning Palms probably around 1:00. Right as we were finishing eating it started pouring rain! Since we had done everything we really wanted to and the rain hit, we decided to call it a day and headed back to our room at Pop to relax.

I took a nap and then went down to the food court to get a little snack. I went with the King cupcake, which I'd been wanting to try but hadn't been available when I'd stayed in February. It was so good! Seriously, after I got it everyone around the food court was eyeing it. This little girl in front of me in line kept staring at it. Even when her mom walked away she stood there literally staring at my cupcake with her mouth open. It was hilarious!

After an afternoon of being lazy we took the bus to Hollywood Studios, and then the boat to the Boardwalk. We strolled around for a little bit before our reservation at Beaches and Cream. Dinner was good, but of course the ice cream was heavenly! We split the No Way Jose and it was amazing.

Unfortunately the evening was mostly dedicated to packing, as the next day we would visit Animal Kingdom and then have to catch our flight back home.

Our Last Day - Animal Kingdom

It was our last day in Disney but we had a late flight, so it gave us a pretty full day in the Animal Kingdom. We started off with the safari, my favorite ride. THere were lots of animals out - including elephants, okapi, zebra, lions, giarffes, and more.

Up next we used a FP+ for Everest, which is one of my favorites and my friend really enjoyed it too. We also did Dinosaur, and since we were in the area we saw the Finding Nemo show. It was really enjoyable and I think I like it more every time I see it.

Because I'm not terribly enthralled with any of the food options at Animal Kingdom, I had made us a lunch reservation for Sanaa. We hopped on the bus over to AKL. As we were leaving the park I saw Tarzan outside doing a meet and greet! I had never seen him before. We didn't have time to stop and sadly when we returned he was gone. I would love to get a pic with him someday. Lunch was great though! We got the bread service with all of the sauces, and it's just so incredible. I also got to have my beloved butter chicken, which was just as good as I remembered.

Then we headed back to AK to watch Festival of the Lion King. I am always so impressed with that show!

We had a little over an hour left before we needed to leave, so we decided to wait for Everest once more. Even though there was a wait that queue is pretty cool. I always look at all the coins people throw down there and wish they would let me pick it all up - I can imagine it adds up to quite a good amount! We did get stopped for a little bit going up the lift hill, but luckily it didn't last long.

The last thing we did was the Maharajah Jungle Trek before going back to the buses.

Then it was back to Pop, onto the Magical Express, and back on a plane to fly home. All in all another good trip, especially to introduce someone who has never been!

Thank you so much to anyone who stuck around for this TR. I know it was slow going. Honestly, I've been super into blogging lately and almost anything Disney I write goes on there. So if you have time, check it out! www.disneyinyourday.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter