A WDW Family Follows in Walt's Footsteps: Our First Trip to Disneyland-updated 4/6 (DL Day 3)

So glad to hear you liked the Disneyland Hotel. We are staying there for the 1st time in less than 3 weeks!
You will love it! I'll be posting more about it tomorrow, including our tour. I do think the tour is worth doing, if you have the time. I just loved the hotel. Please let me know how you like it - and if you have any questions about it before you go.:)

Your room looks very nice! Super sweet picture of your boys curled up in the tea cup chair!
Thanks! The room was so nice! I loved the big windows, too, which I neglected to mention.

The boys loved the chairs. Such a fun touch. I'd love to zip back over there right now & just hang out in the lobby. The Frontier Tower lobby was a hit, too. More on that later...

Our meal at Minnie & Friends Plaza Inn was amazing!! It was really one of the highlights of our entire trip. My nieces absolutely adored the characters. Chip was actually on a roll that morning in particular and we have a great photo of him photobombing our photoshoot with Rafiki.
So happy to hear how your Minnie & Friends meal went! I was so impressed with the character interaction at DL in general, too. Love that Chip photobombed - and that you captured it. How fun!

I got a kick out of your story about the "drinking chocolate" that actually turned out to be ganache for s'mores. But why the mugs?? Very misleading.
Thanks for agreeing about the mug deception at dinner. Isn't that crazy!? To put them out apparently "because they're cute," as the CM said, seemed a goofy rationale that he himself was perplexed by. Cuteness alone isn't a valid reason. I have an awesome Rapunzel Minnie Mouse plush that basically stays on the dresser in our bedroom, because while it's adorable, it's just not necessary to show it to everyone. (Plus, as with the mugs, she may prove irresistible, and be taken! :sad:)

Looking forward to reading more!
:thanks: More's on its way! Tonight.

So nice to see an update :goodvibes
Thanks! It's so fun to re-live it with fun DISers who "get it." :earsboy:

The pictures of the room are making me even more impatient to get there. I love staying at the Disneyland Hotel, it's just so magical to be in the Disney "bubble"!

I have never done the tour of the hotel but it's on our list for this time so I am looking forward to hearing all about it::yes::
Oh, I hope you like it! In April, the tours of DLH were at 1pm on Wednesdays & Saturdays. I called the hotel a couple days before our arrival date to check the schedule, and then we planned our day to check in early and be there for the Saturday tour, so I'm glad I knew. It would be tougher to work it in on a park day.

I love the Disney bubble too! :dogdance: I definitely felt enveloped in the bubble in Anaheim, thanks to the Disneyland Hotel, which I wasn't sure would happen in advance, because Disneyland is in a city (versus how it is in Walt Disney World, away from everything else pretty much). It was perfect for our first stay.

Day 4. April 16th (Saturday) - Part 2

After checking out our room, we walked to Downtown Disney for some lunch. Wow, look at what was the very first thing we saw upon our arrival!

And happily for us, unlike yesterday, today we actually get to go inside! We love Earl of Sandwich in Walt Disney World, so it is a “must do” for us whenever possible. Jeff and I even stopped at the Earl of Sandwich at Disneyland Paris last fall. We just can’t resist it. Mmmmm.

This is how it looks at Disneyland Paris’ Disney Village:

Jeff and I always get the Holiday Sandwich, which has turkey, cornbread stuffing, turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, & mayonnaise (we skip the cranberry sauce, though), so we ordered that. Kevin and Sam selected the Pepperoni Pizza Bread, a new item on the menu, and Benji chose a Turkey ’n’ Swiss Sandwich (hold the Swiss). The boys also got Brownie Crème Sandwiches for dessert. We found seats outside and after a short wait received our page that our food was ready. We picked it up and devoured it.

So beautiful all wrapped up like a bar of gold:

Unwrapped:

And here's the inside:

We loved everything! Also, we love that it’s always so reasonably priced.

After lunch, we returned to the Fantasy Tower of the Disneyland Hotel for The Happiest Hotel on Earth tour, which was scheduled to begin at 1pm.

It was an excellent tour that focused on the hotel’s history and was a nice opportunity to see the lobbies of the various towers and other places that we easily could have missed out on. The kids very much enjoyed it, too.

The tour began at the huge map of Disneyland that greets guests who enter the main entrance to the hotel, in the Fantasy Tower. We met our two tour guides who provided headphones to everyone, so that we could listen to our guide as he led us through the resort.

Our group was small, and included about 12 guests. We spent some time exploring the Fantasy Tower first, beginning with the map.

Our guide showed us a copy of the early drawing of Disneyland by Disney Legend Herb Ryman. He put this together over a couple of days in September of 1953, with Walt Disney at his side to guide him.

This was an amazing thing to see.

IMG_0374_zpsvllcso21.jpg

I loved the wall of old black and white photographs near the elevators.

There was a lot of artwork that was Small World-themed.

And the gift shop had a similar look.

We later walked over to the connecting convention center. There, we saw a brief video about the hotel and explored the Disneyland Exhibit Hall which had amazing photographs and memorabilia from over the years.

Next we were taken to the other towers that make up the hotel complex. They are each named for one of the original lands in Disneyland. The Adventure Tower lobby had several display cases containing models of animals in the Jungle Cruise attraction. Our guide even treated us to a couple corny jokes to top it off.

The Frontier Tower, our tower, has a scale model of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Here is a photo I pulled from the internet, because I somehow neglected to take a photo (I think I was waiting for everyone to be out of the way of the picture. Oops.)

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/big%20thunder%20mountain%20model_zpslfqri8ep.jpg.html][/URL]

There is a great article about the model to be found on the Imagineering Disney website (the source for the above photo, as well).

Here’s the map of the hotel we received upon check-in.

You can see the layout of the various towers. The tower most convenient to theme parks and parking is the Fantasy Tower. Next closest to the parks is the Adventure Tower. The Frontier Tower is set back more, but it was a good fit for us. We did not have a car on property, and found the walk to the parks was only slightly longer from our tower. We also liked that the Frontier Tower was close to the entrance to Trader Sam’s and Tangaroa Terrace and that it was quiet. Later in the trip I spoke with a woman who was staying in the Adventure Tower and she commented that she had a good fireworks view from her room, but that the noise from the live music at Downtown Disney was a problem for her. We did not have any noise issues at all.

Our guide said that the central area with the swimming pool was themed to Tomorrowland. The monorail slide is the most obvious detail along those lines.

I highly recommend the tour to anyone staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Guests of other Disney hotels can take the tour also. We had hoped to take the tour of the Grand Californian, but did not.

Michael Bowling wrote a great article that's available here on the DIS about the history of the hotel. And there have been two books written about the hotel's history by Don Ballard that can be purchased online or at the hotel's gift shop.

Next up: Swimming, dinner, and Downtown Disney!

Last edited:
Just wanted to apologize for the slowness in posting an update! I had planned on getting it ready earlier, but life got in the way. Thanks for your patience! :flower:

Day 4. April 16th (Saturday) - Part 3

After the tour, we went back to our room, rested a little, and then changed into swimming suits. The pool area was just a short walk away, and is made up of several pools: the Monorail Pool, the D Ticket Pool, and the E Ticket Pool. No one (but me) was excited about the Monorail Pool slides that afternoon, so we stuck to the larger E Ticket pool. The setting was lush and relaxing.

I must admit, though, that just as at the Marriott a few days before, we found the water to be a bit cold. I grabbed this excuse to surprise my family members with hot chocolate from Tangaroa Terrace, which is located next to the pool. Everyone sipped their drinks as they cuddled up with towels on the pool chairs.

After we were done swimming, we walked around Downtown Disney for a while, looking for Hidden Mickeys and checking out souvenirs for later.

I saw this in World of Disney, but I fought off the temptation to buy it.

I was not tempted to buy this. Not a good look.

Dinner was at Tangaroa Terrace. The food was delicious and the live Hawaiian music and tiki torches provided the perfect atmosphere. There was seating inside and outside, but no one should ever sit inside. It's just too beautiful outside!

We must have been hungry, because I am ashamed to say I do not have any food close-ups! :sad2: Sorry. I can report that Jeff ordered the Kalua-style Pork Flatbread; Sam got the Angus 1/3 lb Bacon Cheeseburger with fries; Benji got a plain Cheese Flatbread (not on the menu); Kevin went with the Kids' Chicken Breast Nuggets; and I chose the Angus 1/3 lb Hawaiian Cheeseburger with fruit. I LOVED my meal. Made me feel just like I was on the North Shore of Oahu again. Ahhhh.... :beach:

We all got water to drink, to help to reduce our food costs a bit. We stuck to this strategy most of the trip. We have been admittedly SPOILED rotten by having Free Dining every time we've gone as a family to Walt Disney World, so this trip was the first time since then that we've had to exercise any discipline at all in our Disney dining choices. It was definitely more expensive (per day overall costs - tickets, hotel, and dining) than our Disney World trips, but 1000% worth it!!

I think it's a good idea to have dinner (vs. lunch) at Tangaroa Terrace, because that's when there is live music. I especially enjoyed hearing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” a favorite of mine, and other interesting tropical versions of popular songs.

IMG_0409_zpsuyasygse.jpg

Night-time shot of the Monorail Pool. So pretty.

Another view, this time unobstructed (because those chipmunks were mighty big!).

After dinner, we watched old Disney short films on the hotel lobby TV in the kids' waiting area for a while, because - as I've said earlier - we all love it.

I love the art on the wall of Disneyland attractions. Classics all - Mad Tea Party, Duck Bumps, Dumbo... Wait, what? Oh, yes, I have since learned that the "Duck Bumps" attraction was planned as a bumper boat ride for Fantasyland, but never built. It sounds fun, and I'm glad that it's included here.

The animated shorts are even better closer up. It was hard to tear them away.

So I let them stay there. And Jeff enjoyed taking a rest. While they were all entertained, I ducked out for a few minutes to grab some Mickey Rice Krispie Treats at the gift shop, to surprise the guys with later. Then, I collected the rest of the group and we walked back to the room, pausing again in the gift shop, this time for ice cream treats for the boys (to be eaten immediately, of course ::yes::). I loved the notion that Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars were always a short walk away! :mickeybar

Once back in the room and tucked in for the night, we were delighted to find that we had a partial fireworks view! pixiedust: We watched the show from our room, as we listened to the official soundtrack piped in on a special TV channel.

After that, we got to sleep. We had a big day out - to San Diego - planned tomorrow. :car: We'd be renting our 2nd of 3 (sheesh :upsidedow) rental cars and getting out of town! More on that next time...

Last edited:
I had no idea they had live music. I will definitely try to go to Tangaroa Terrace for dinner now. My daughter is going to love that pool.

I had no idea they had live music. I will definitely try to go to Tangaroa Terrace for dinner now. My daughter is going to love that pool.

I'm so glad you're planning to go there, Shannon. Let me know how you like it! Your trip must be coming up soon! Happy for you...

Day 5. April 17th (Sunday)

So many plans, but so few things accomplished! In San Diego, at least. This OCD Planner met with some disappointment on Sunday in terms of items checked off my list for the day. We did still enjoy ourselves, though! Here’s what happened…

Originally, we had planned on staying at the Legoland Hotel (in Carlsbad) for two nights so we could explore San Diego, but we ended up canceling our reservation because it would mean changing hotels four times over the course of our vacation. This caused San Diego to be reduced to just a day trip. We chose Sunday for our outing, because we wanted to avoid the extra hassle of weekday rush hour traffic and we wanted to avoid the weekend crowds at Disneyland. It was tough to muster the self-restraint to avoid sprinting to the Disneyland gates because we had not been there since Thursday and were aching to see more of it, but we managed to pull it off. (Oh, how I wish Disneyland passes were not limited to a puny five days in length! It’s tough for a family that likes to stay at Walt Disney World for the full ten days that tickets there allow. I know, I know… “First World” problems…)

Anyway, onto our plans for Sunday. We ate breakfast in the room and went to Downtown Disney to pick up our rental car at Alamo. The boys had been told we were headed to Del Mar Beach, but they had no idea what was coming as we set out on our drive.

Early on in my research for our trip, I was exploring things to do in San Diego and happened upon a sand castle class with “San Diego Sand Castles.” Here’s how they describe their classes on their website:

“If you're looking for something that a couple, the whole family, or a small group of friends can do together and you're ready to learn some real sand castle techniques then this is the session you'll want to book. A full session goes for a flat rate of $140 and includes two people, but can also be taken solo if you'd like. Your instructor is scheduled for the full three hours but with younger kids they often finish closer to two, so two to three hours is a good planning guideline. If your family is a bit bigger we give parents a break and ask only $20 per extra participant for up to five more. All the equipment for everyone is included so you won't need to bring anything and we'll show how to build castles like a professional as well as how to build with just a couple of buckets. We'll go over stacking (and we'll use multiple forms for lots of sand), hand stacking, towers, windows, doors, walls, stairs, textures, arches, bridges, and a whole bunch of cool little sand tricks. If you have anything else in mind we can also try to make it happen. No artistic experience is necessary!”

Our class was scheduled for 10am on Del Mar Beach. I wanted to surprise the kids, so we did not say a word about it in advance. They adore surprises, so I was eager to see how they would react.

We found a parking space near the beach and walked down to the meeting point that our instructor, JT Estrela, had described. We passed this bench on our way. I like the sentiment.

Saying hello to the ocean:

As we got there I let the boys in on the secret. They were very happy! They had wanted to build sand castles at Huntington Beach a couple days before, and probably thought we would never get to do that kind of thing on this trip.

Over the next several hours on Del Mar Beach we had a blast working and learning together as we built our sand castle. JT was great with the kids. He previously had been employed as a school teacher, which I’m sure helped prepare him for his current job, which he clearly loves. A couple of pieces of wisdom he passed along to us: 1) if you make a mistake when building a sand castle (and you certainly will!), just say “That’s what I meant to do” and move on; and 2) when you are done building your castle and have to leave the beach, don’t turn back, because people enjoy knocking them over.

Our instructor generously offered to take extra time with us, because he did not have an appointment scheduled for the afternoon. He decided because there were six of us total that we should build a big castle, and we proceeded to do so, with a lot of help from him.

JT formed a large base and we helped fill it with sand and pound it down.

Many scoops of sand with big shovels.

We needed many buckets of water!

You can see how firm the sand is, and how well packed.

While the sand was setting, we had some waiting time in which our instructor taught us some new techniques for making sand castles by hand. Lots of water was one of the keys with small castles as well, more water than you'd think.

Like opening a present on Christmas.

Onto the detailed work.

When we finished our castle, we of course took a ton of pictures of it.

We also decided to buy a sandcastle building kit that included the same type of tools we used for the detailed work that we did that day. We could not wait to use it at the beach at home. Then, as instructed, we walked away, refraining from looking back over our shoulders.

We ended up using about five hours of our day on the castle, so needed to modify our plans for the rest of the day. Our first order of business was lunch. It was 3pm and we hadn’t eaten since breakfast. Well, except for these little beauties that I surprised my family with:

We drove to Pacific Beach to try In-n-Out Burger for lunch. Our first time there, I was excited to try it after all the hype.

Jeff and I got burgers, but the boys just wanted fries and <gasp!> not burgers at all. Reluctantly, we decided to get chicken nuggets for the boys at McDonald’s afterward. I loved my burger, but have to say Jeff didn’t really love his. He likes his burgers plain and was startled by the spread that was slathered on it. Oh, well. The chocolate shakes were a refreshing treat for us all, after our many hours of working on the beach. I’m glad we tried it. Next time we know how to order (no sauce), so it’ll go better.

We had planned on seeing the USS Midway aircraft carrier after lunch, but had to admit that we would not have enough time to spend there before it would close for the day. We also considered the Carlsbad Flower Fields, but again realized that the time we’d have there was too short to justify the drive and expense. We thought one thing we would easily have time to do was to go see the seals in La Jolla in an area called Children’s Pool (so named because it was originally intended for children, but has since been taken over by the seals).

Well, in the end I have to admit that all we managed to accomplish in La Jolla was a visit to Starbucks for an overdue coffee for me. The problem we had was finding a parking space near Children’s Pool. It appeared there was a wedding going on. (Or that couple was bizarrely overdressed!) Oh, well. It was a pretty place to drive around for a while.

We had also planned on dinner in San Diego that evening, but due to our late lunch, we knew we would not be hungry anytime soon. In the end, we decided to just head back to Anaheim, stopping on the way at Target. One person in our party needed medicine for a headache, and another one had sore feet that required shoe inserts.

Target stores don't look like this at home.

The drive back to the hotel took much longer than our drive in the morning, due to some thick traffic, but I enjoyed the views along the way.

By 9pm, we were back home and a few minutes later we found ourselves at Earl of Sandwich. Yes, again. Second time in two days. And oh, so, good. Yum.

We spotted some Hidden Mickeys in our tower that evening.

I still think it’s kind of funny that after all my research about San Diego that we did not really see much there at all… We still had a fantastic day and everyone agreed that all the time on the beach was well-spent and a highlight of the trip. We will just have to look forward to seeing more of San Diego another time.

Next time: Back to Disneyland fun, starting with Early Entry at Disney California Adventure!

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great resort day and were really able to enjoy the DLH!

We really did enjoy it! I'm not one to take a lot of time at the resort on our Walt Disney World trips normally, so this was a treat for us. I knew we needed to do it, because it's such an interesting hotel with so much to do/see. Even if someone is not staying there, I think it's well worth a visit to eat at Tangaroa Terrace (or Trader Sam's) and explore the grounds and lobbies of the various towers.

Following along. I am enjoying reading all of your tips.

:welcome:So happy you're reading along! I really want to provide useful information, so am very glad you like the tips. Please let me know if you have any questions. Are you planning a trip soon?

Excellent trip report ... it is providing me with a crash course on current day Disneyland, Anaheim and surrounding areas ... things to do, things to see and what to expect.

Like you, I am fan of DIS Unplugged. Made my first post on the DIS boards back in '99 and have been watching the WDW Video Edition of the DIS Unplugged for the past few years as have been to WDW several times - in addition our last three cruises have been aboard the Disney Fantasy.

It's kinda ironic that we've been to WDW more times than DL as we live in Western Canada. The only time DW and I were at DL was on our honeymoon when we went on a Mexican Riveria honeymoon cruise with Princess Cruise Line. Back then there was no California Adventure, no DTD, and the only Disney hotel was the Disneyland Hotel - that's was over 20 years ago. (Prior to that, I had only been to DL once before when I was a kid - probably in the late 70's.) Fast forward 20+ years and we're trying to decide what to do for our special Anniv next year. One of several options we are exploring is the 2017 Fall Panama Canal EB cruise aboard the Wonder - just put a deposit down this weekend :)

Lol - I know a lot more about Orlando/WDW (we were just there last October - a trip trifecta - Universal Orlando Portofino/ Disney Fantasy cruise / Disney PORS ) than I do about DL - have no clue whatsoever what to expect/do re: DL, Anaheim and surrounding areas. Then it hit me ... we can look at probably doing the West Coast version of Universal / Disneyland / Disney Wonder cruise :sail:.

So the detail and photos in your TR are very helpful ... the fireworks on the DL hotel headboard reminds me of the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Rooms headboard fireworks - love it! I look forward to reading more ...

I rarely get everything on my vacation list accomplished, so your day in San Diego looks about right to me! We stopped at the Children's Pool very early one weekday morning and, as I recall, parking was still kind of crazy. It was neat to see the seals, but my kids mostly just remember the smell.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you're planning to go there, Shannon. Let me know how you like it! Your trip must be coming up soon! Happy for you...

I see that you have been to Disney World many times and now Disneyland my DB and I are Disney World fans and are considering a trip to Disneyland, how do they compare and is the trek across the country worth it we are from Ohio.
We our going on our first Disney Cruise in January and hope to go to Aulani next January. We love Disney as a couple.

Excellent trip report ... it is providing me with a crash course on current day Disneyland, Anaheim and surrounding areas ... things to do, things to see and what to expect.

:thanks: so much for reading! I love reading trip reports here and have learned a ton from others. They are dangerous to read sometimes, though, as in my case. For example, I'm planning on a cruise three years from now (to Alaska) and I NEVER wanted to go on a cruise. Never. But to see how amazing the reports are of DCL it just makes me want to try it.

Like you, I am fan of DIS Unplugged. Made my first post on the DIS boards back in '99 and have been watching the WDW Video Edition of the DIS Unplugged for the past few years as have been to WDW several times - in addition our last three cruises have been aboard the Disney Fantasy.

Ooooh, exciting travels! I like the video edition of the Orlando show too. Too bad it's impossible for the Disneyland show.

It's kinda ironic that we've been to WDW more times than DL as we live in Western Canada.

Western Canada looks like a beautiful place. Never been, but excited to go. You really should get to DL more though, and all the changes will be so exciting to see when you get out there again. ::yes::

Then it hit me ... we can look at probably doing the West Coast version of Universal / Disneyland / Disney Wonder cruise :sail:.

I think that plan sounds fantastic! :thumbsup2

So the detail and photos in your TR are very helpful ... the fireworks on the DL hotel headboard reminds me of the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Rooms headboard fireworks - love it! I look forward to reading more ...

I did not realize that the royal rooms had headboard fireworks! We love Port Orleans Riverside, but always need to stay in an Alligator Bayou room, because those are the only ones that fit 5. :crowded:

I'll be posting an update soon! I'm moving slowly due to school starting. Better get crackin'...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter