A WDW Family Follows in Walt's Footsteps: Our First Trip to Disneyland-updated 4/6 (DL Day 3)

I rarely get everything on my vacation list accomplished, so your day in San Diego looks about right to me! We stopped at the Children's Pool very early one weekday morning and, as I recall, parking was still kind of crazy. It was neat to see the seals, but my kids mostly just remember the smell.

Yeah, I bet it really would smell there. Thanks for helping me feel a bit better about missing it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't complete their vacation to-do list. I really was just so glad that the guys enjoyed the sandcastle class so much. I could have taken action to move things along faster and gotten out of there earlier, but I checked in with them from time to time and they just LOVED it. My oldest son just wrote about it for his Writing Class recently. (This week's paper was on Chicken 'n' Waffles, so I guess I'm raising him right. ;))

Hi Karin! I finally found your DL report! Took me long enough!

:wave2: Hey, Mark! Thanks for stopping by. Your "Dry Heat Expedition" report was a treat to read as our WDW family prepared for our first DL trip. Thanks for reading. I'm enjoying your new report also, although I'm still sad for you that you missed out on some high quality Minnesota plans. :sad2:

I see that you have been to Disney World many times and now Disneyland my DB and I are Disney World fans and are considering a trip to Disneyland, how do they compare and is the trek across the country worth it we are from Ohio.
We our going on our first Disney Cruise in January and hope to go to Aulani next January. We love Disney as a couple.

I think you two would love Disneyland, since you are WDW fans. I wish I had visited DL sooner. It's so nice to experience a different Disney park. We did DL Paris last fall and I felt similar about that, in that a new park is so exciting because it's familiar but with many new attractions and a different feel, history, setting, etc. Now, DL Paris is probably a one-and-done for us, for obvious reasons ($, distance), but I loved DL & we hope to alternate between the US parks because it's that good. I specifically especially enjoyed these differences: paper fastpasses, Cars Land, the rich history as Walt's park, the charm of the place, easy park hopping, cool variations of rides like Hyperspace Mountain & Small World, unique attractions like Indiana Jones, and so much more. There's just a lot to justify at least a first visit to check it out. I highly recommend you go! :flower:

Exciting to be planning a first cruise, too! Where will you be going? January sounds like a nice time for that kind of getaway. And you will love Aulani! So many fun new Disney things. :earsboy:

Thank you so much for all the information, it sounds like we will need to go check out DL in California, Paris would be so awesome, maybe some day. We are cruising on the Fantasy and going to Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and of course Castaway Cay and then going to what we like to call our winter home Port Orleans Riverside after the cruise super excited about a vacation after a vacation it really adds to the excitement. Did you stay at an official DL resort and if so which one would you recommend. We are thinking of flying into Lax, is the transportation system similar to WDW, for example the magical express from the airport. We would like to not have to rent a vehicle. Is there transportation between resorts and the two parks? Sounds like they don't use the magic bands there, with the paper fast passes. Can you book everything in advance on line the WDW site?

Did you stay at an official DL resort and if so which one would you recommend.
Yes! We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for 6 nights. We also stayed at the Anaheim Marriott, which was very nice but a long walk at the end of the day. We LOVED the Disneyland Hotel, but for our next trip I think we will try the Park Vue Inn or Best Western Plus Park Place Inn. Those hotels are not Disney hotels of course, but are much cheaper & VERY close to the park entrance. They get very good reviews and I'm looking forward to experiencing them. The main concern I have about staying at one of the Disneyland hotels again is the cost. They are all expensive, compared to our normal moderate resort prices at WDW. (They are all priced more like deluxes at DL.)

We also found the walk from the DLH to the parks to be a bit long, honestly. The Grand Californian is super-convenient to California Adventure, but we were interested in the theming/history of the Disneyland Hotel, which we adored. There are pics in my trip report you can see.

We are thinking of flying into Lax, is the transportation system similar to WDW, for example the magical express from the airport. We would like to not have to rent a vehicle. Is there transportation between resorts and the two parks?
No free Magical Express, but there are a number of paid group shuttles, including a Disney-run one. We chose a private car service, Go Lansky, which was fantastic, and I would highly recommend it. A little more expensive, but with our family it felt very worth it for a nice minivan just for us. The driver greeted us at baggage claim and the price includes a grocery store stop on the way to the hotel.

You don't need transportation between resorts. They are literally (for us, when I timed it) a 5-minute walk apart.

Sounds like they don't use the magic bands there, with the paper fast passes. Can you book everything in advance on line the WDW site?
This is one of my FAVORITE parts about Disneyland. Old-school paper Fastpasses. I like that not a lot of advance planning is needed for DL. Dining reservations are amazingly reasonable there, too, and can be made online. You book them about 2 months out and I easily got what I wanted. Yay!

Thank you so much for all the information, this will definitely help with making our travel plans with confidence. We are excited to explore DL.

Day 6. April 18th (Monday)

We got up nice and early Monday morning. We had not been to Disneyland for several days and were aching to return! We paused for a picture in the lobby of the Frontier Tower.

At the bag check line, I had to go through the secondary check through the metal detector. This happened every day. I suspect it was because of my big backpack, because no one else in my family ever had to do this. I don’t think I look like more of a troublemaker than any of them!

It didn't require much additional time, thankfully, and by 7:30 we were in line at California Adventure, finding a spot near the front.

We headed right to Toy Story Midway Mania, which we reached by 8:05am. There was no wait. What a difference from Walt Disney World, where there is always a wait from opening time onward. We enjoyed our ride and got right back on again for another run. What a perfect start to our day!

Next, we headed toward the land we were most excited to see of all: Cars Land! On the way there we passed this, where we would see World of Color later in the evening.

We took a route through Pacific Wharf on the way to Cars Land. I’d heard this is the best way to enter Cars Land, because you walk underneath a big arch for a dramatic first view of the land. It was spectacular. (So spectacular that I neglected to photograph it!)

Our first ride there was Luigi's Rollickin’ Roadsters, which we boarded at 8:40.

We next got in line for Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. The line was surprisingly long. I reluctantly got out of line to go get FastPasses for Radiator Springs Racers, because we wanted to use them as soon as possible. When I paused on my way out of the line to ask the Cast Member a question, she graciously surprised me with a pass to return later to ride Mater’s with my whole family without waiting.

When I returned after 9am, I was able to see the boys ride. They were all smiles and loving it. Right after that, we used my magic pass to ride again together. This ride was the sleeper hit of the day: so much fun zipping around and taking quick turns and sliding into each other. We laughed so hard!

After the ride, we had some sadness as we dealt with reluctance from the twins to riding Radiator Springs Racers. Now, we are NOT parents who normally push our boys onto rides. Not at all. But in this case, we really felt certain they would love it, so we said we wanted to ride together just once and then they could decide about riding again. They were not happy about it, but reluctantly agreed to do it.

“A bug’s land” was next, where we started with Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train. What a crazy ride. Short and silly. The audio cracked me up, and the smells were interesting. After that, Kevin, Sam, and I rode Flik’s Fliers, while Jeff and Benji rode Tuck & Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0533_zps0pdqwt8h.jpg.html][/URL]

Kevin was careful to protect his valuables on Flik's Flyers.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DSC04309_zpspkp03qos.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DSC04310_zpsfoqklhyk.jpg.html][/URL]

We walked back to Cars Land for Radiator Springs Racers with our FastPasses. What a gorgeously-themed land: just like walking through the movie.

Most of us LOVED the ride, but sadly, the twins absolutely did not. They found it too fast and hated the hills. This was disappointing. I felt guilty for pushing them to ride it, but honestly I thought they would love it. They love the Cars movies after all. And I’d never heard of any kid not liking the ride... Anyway, they were not fans.

At all.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DCA_RACERA_20160418_383567384089_zpsfwxouxze.jpg.html][/URL]

And that was the only time they would ride it during our trip. (We did pick up FastPasses for a return ride for later that day, knowing that Jeff and I could take turns riding with Sam.)

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0538_zpsfgzvcxon.jpg.html][/URL]

We wanted to do something nice for our guys, so decided on ice cream at Ghiradelli. I had been dreaming about their Gold Rush Sundae for too long. It was yummy.

The other guys enjoyed their treats, too. It was 11am, only three hours into our day, but we felt like we had accomplished a lot.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0547_zpsz0j8foxj.jpg.html][/URL]

We then picked up FastPasses for World of Color in the Blue section. We passed this on the way. Love how Disney includes such fun details.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0556_zps4jwig2ei.jpg.html][/URL]

Originally, we had reservations for the Carthay Circle World of Color dining package, but I changed my mind shortly before the trip, because I had learned of a tip on a good seating area that was free that I thought would work well. I was sad to be missing out on their legendary Signature Fried Biscuits (with white cheddar, bacon, and jalapeno), though. Someday…

We rode Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue. Very cute ride! We loved the theming of the queue and all the fun details. Next we crossed the street and visited Animation Academy, where we participated in the 12:30pm session and drew Steamboat Willie Mickey.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0560_zpsvhclsbvl.jpg.html][/URL]

We strolled around the Off the Page store afterward, where the twins considered some Chip and Dale art and I enjoyed the fun décor.

We were getting hungry, so at 1pm hopped on over to Disneyland for lunch at the Plaza Inn. We stopped at the entrance to the park for PhotoPass pictures with the train station and floral Mickey.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_ENTRANCE1_20160418_383245178469_zpsjxhn7tyv.jpg.html][/URL]

While Jeff and the boys ordered and got seated at the restaurant, I went on a FastPass run for Buzz Lightyear and the Indiana Jones Adventure, so we would be able to ride those as soon as possible. I was excited to have so many FPs in hand at the same time. (Compared to zero to hold at Walt Disney World right now, sadly.)
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0568_zpsugqejimn.jpg.html][/URL]

Lunch was fantastic, as expected based on all the rave reviews I’d heard about the place. We split two chicken meals with double-orders of mashed potatoes, plus a couple additional biscuits. Here, I must pause to apologize profusely for not taking any food pictures. I CANNOT believe I didn't, because it was a delicious meal and deserved to be remembered. I must have been hungry, I guess! Plus, I wasn't even there half the time, because of my FP errands. I guess that explains it!

Anyway...energized from our yummy lunch, we headed in separate directions: Buzz Lightyear for Jeff and the twins and Indiana Jones for Sam and me.
[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0570_zpspxgbuinv.jpg.html][/URL]

Indiana Jones was amazing, fast-paced and full of surprises. It really felt like a (rough!) ride through one of the movies. We all reconnected at the Sleeping Beauty castle walk-through, which was a nice diversion that reminded me of the walk-through in the castle in Disneyland Paris. It was an interesting presentation of various scenes in Sleeping Beauty’s story. Then, we picked up some beverages and found seats for the 3:15pm show of Mickey & the Magical Map.

----------

Better wrap up for tonight, but coming tomorrow: We return to California Adventure to finish off the night, including seeing World of Color.

Thanks for reading!

Great trip report! We are planning our first trip to Disneyland in April. From all that I have read it seems so different from Disneyworld. We are definitely used to going into the Disney bubble and letting Disney handle all the transportation. I believe we will also try the private car to get us from LAX to Anaheim. Something I've been wondering about... we would like to have a later return flight home and take some time to explore Los Angeles. I'm wondering if it would be possible to check our bags for our return flight at the hotel (we will be staying at the Disney Grand Californian Villas) and do some last minute sight seeing before our flight. We've done this in the past with Disneyworld Magical express just curious if something similar is available at the Disney resorts in CA?

Great trip report!
:flower:Thanks very much. Thank you for reading!

We are planning our first trip to Disneyland in April. From all that I have read it seems so different from Disneyworld. We are definitely used to going into the Disney bubble and letting Disney handle all the transportation. I believe we will also try the private car to get us from LAX to Anaheim. Something I've been wondering about... we would like to have a later return flight home and take some time to explore Los Angeles. I'm wondering if it would be possible to check our bags for our return flight at the hotel (we will be staying at the Disney Grand Californian Villas) and do some last minute sight seeing before our flight. We've done this in the past with Disneyworld Magical express just curious if something similar is available at the Disney resorts in CA?
How exciting! Great time of the year to go for a first trip! :cheer2: I bet you will love the Grand Californian. I'm sure they would keep your luggage at bell services after you check out until you leave for the airport. However, they unfortunately would not be able to check the bags for your flight, if that is what you mean, the way you can at Walt Disney World with their Magical Express service. We also had to figure out how to handle spending some time in the LA area during our trip and considered many options. We ended up just lengthening our trip a couple nights and staying in Burbank at the end. There was plenty to do & it was well worth our time personally. We did a one-way car rental from Downtown Disney and dropped at LAX. You could do that just for the day and leave your bags in the car BUT of course there is a little risk with that. Another alternative would be to take a day in the middle of the trip to drive to LA and return to the Disney area the same day, avoiding rush hour as much as possible. Then you could just spend the last day doing Disney stuff, while your bags stay at the hotel.

Regardless, hope you have an amazing trip! If you think of any more questions, please ask. :)

Day 6. April 18th (Monday) - Part 2...

We returned to California Adventure after the fun show, where Jeff and I took turns riding Radiator Springs Racers with Sam, and The Little Mermaid and Mater’s with the twins. We all met up again at the Sorcerers Workshop area before riding King Triton’s Carrousel together.

At 7pm, we picked up dinner at Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta and Corn Dog Castle and brought our FastPasses to the World of Color viewing area. We arrived an hour before show time, and found excellent front-row spots just where we had planned: on the bridge in the Blue viewing section. We sat down, ate our food, and waited for the show to start at 8:15pm.

I was not impressed with the corn dog :confused:, but I must admit that I am not a corn dog person and I think my expectations were too high based on the hype about the ones at Disneyland. My boys liked theirs. I hear from many sources that the corn dogs are spectacular, so I'm sure my opinion is completely meaningless.

Viewing World of Color from bridge was absolutely perfect and well-worth the relaxing, hour-long wait.

I did not get very good pictures. Here are a few to get a sense of some of it. It was fantastic. We loved it! :yay:

I had heard about a special ending to the show, so I made sure we all stayed past the main attraction to see the post-show that included a sweet goodnight message from Walt Disney as well as two more songs, “Forever Young” and “Disneyland.” Love it, loved it, loved it. :goodvibes Cried.

Next time: We Rope Drop again (why stop?!) and start our day off with breakfast with Minnie and Friends.

Thank you for your report. My family is planning our first DL trip after being WDW regulars for many years. Your posts are helping me greatly!

Just found your report and love it. I live in Northern CA so DL is our home park and about 8 hours from us so we are former AP holders and try to go at least once a year. I always enjoy seeing a newbies perspective and love that you enjoyed other points of interest. For years we strictly did Disney but now that my girls are teens we try and fit in other fun parts of So Cal. Really enjoying reading and finding out things even I didn't know about. Look forward to your next update! :)

I just discovered your TR...and I love it! Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to your next post :)

Thank you for your report. My family is planning our first DL trip after being WDW regulars for many years. Your posts are helping me greatly!

Oh, you are so welcome! I'm very happy to be of help. :) I am excited for you & your family to visit Disneyland. It really is such a treat for we WDW regulars. I wish I had headed out west years ago. When are you planning on going? Please chime in with any questions you may have!

Just found your report and love it. I live in Northern CA so DL is our home park and about 8 hours from us so we are former AP holders and try to go at least once a year. I always enjoy seeing a newbies perspective and love that you enjoyed other points of interest. For years we strictly did Disney but now that my girls are teens we try and fit in other fun parts of So Cal. Really enjoying reading and finding out things even I didn't know about. Look forward to your next update! :)

Oh, I'm jealous! Lucky you, Kelly, to live where you do! :thumbsup2

I really hope to see more of California on another trip. Such a beautiful state with so much to see and do. (I really enjoy the "Day 6" segments on the DIS Unplugged podcast, because they talk about so many exciting places to go in other areas near DL.) You must be a pro at Disneyland, having visited so much! I knew we would love it, once I heard enough about it to glimpse why it was unique and special, not just sort of an earlier version of WDW (my wrong-headed thinking from years past). We all just wish we could spend more time at Disneyland than just the maximum 5 days of a regular (non-AP) pass. That's so sad, and one area where WDW wins by comparison, because we get 10-day tickets there.

Another update is coming soon! Thanks for your patience.

I just discovered your TR...and I love it! Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to your next post :)

:thanks: very much for reading! Another post is coming soon. I was goofing off at WDW earlier this month (when you posted your comment), but need to get back on track now. It's a treat to relive fun memories with you people who "get it."

You aren't alone in regards to not loving the corn dog. My daughter tried one and wasn't impressed, but we aren't huge corn dog fans.

Loved your update. It seems you still managed to have fun, in spite of not everyone wanting to ride RSR. My kids will ride it once with me and that is it. Not sure why they don't like it more, it is one of my favorites.

Fantastic report! I think I read your Aulani report as well and they have been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to do them. Can't wait to read more!!

Day 7. April 19th (Tuesday)

We got up early Tuesday morning and grabbed breakfast on-the-go at La Brea Bakery Express (muffins & a croissant). We were relieved to make it to the Disneyland entrance before Rope Drop. It was an Extra Magic Hour morning there, and we wanted to get a jump start on the crowds.

We were second in line at our turnstile and so excited head into the park!

We were held at the rope for a bit, where we enjoyed the view.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0653_zpsyel16s1f.jpg.html][/URL]

We had decided to divide and conquer for the start of the day, as our boys had different ride priorities. Sam and I hurried to Hyperspace Mountain, his new favorite ride, first.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20160419_383567564852_zpsdzwyb5te.jpg.html][/URL]

He and I tried two other new rides that the twins were not interested in next: Astro Orbiter and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0660_zpsuu3b4ltq.jpg.html][/URL]

I remember riding Mr. Toad at Walt Disney World, but since that ride closed long ago (in 1998), I enjoyed being able to ride it on the west coast. I took a ton of pictures, because I wanted to show them to a sister of mine who has been bitter about the ride in Florida closing. (She even refuses to ride the Winnie the Pooh ride that replaced it, in protest.)

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0664_zpshorfzdmf.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0666crp_zpsecl4yqec.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0667_zpssny9byxv.jpg.html][/URL]

While we were busy, Jeff and the twins rode the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, and It’s a Small World.

We connected by phone and met back up at Casey Jr. Circus Train.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0669_zpsamwax21t.jpg.html][/URL]

Then, more splitting up ensued, so that Sam and Jeff could go for a ride on the Indiana Jones Adventure. Unfortunately it was down, so they tried Pirates of the Caribbean instead. The rest of us got in line to meet Rapunzel, but as we were waiting in the long line, realized that we had made a mistake and gotten in the line for Merida instead! Oh, well. She was sweet anyway.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_FANTASYFAIREATMOCHAR_20160419_383245178782_zps49ii5uyy.jpg.html][/URL]

Breakfast with "Minnie & friends" at the Plaza Inn was next on the agenda.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0675_zpsq4djytjx.jpg.html][/URL]

We had a reservation for 10am. Crazily enough, once again, I ran an errand before sitting down with my family. Right after we checked in, a Disney photographer took a family picture of us in front of the restaurant.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/EVNTPLAZAINN_TABLE004_20160419_383909804072_zpstkbq49ko.jpg.html][/URL]

We usually do not buy the pictures, but this time I couldn’t resist, because I was giddy with excitement about our first trip to amazing Disneyland. As the boys and Jeff were waiting for a table to be ready, I grabbed the opportunity to sprint out of there to get FastPasses for Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours.

I loved that we met such an eclectic mix of characters at the breakfast.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0680_zps8oisp5fd.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DSC04317_zpstq45rhte.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DSC04327_zpsbymoc02m.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0693_zpsthmbmoz9.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0701_zpsl7dtsbph.jpg.html][/URL]

Specifically, we met Chip, Gideon, Dale, Minnie, Gepetto, Eeyore, Captain Hook, and Tigger. We enjoyed a lot of interaction from them and found the food to be as good as at the lunch we had previously enjoyed there.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0689_zpsprffrlc4.jpg.html][/URL]

The Mickey waffles were the best part, of course. Here's my breakfast.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0690_zpssr6tkrnl.jpg.html][/URL]

The FP windows were open when we finished eating, so Jeff and Sam rode Hyperspace Mountain while I took the twins to Star Tours.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0710_zpseghbgalp.jpg.html][/URL]

We then got in line together to meet Kylo Ren. He was deadly serious. I had wanted to see Chewbacca as well, but the group was not up for it after already waiting a long time for Kylo Ren.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_DARKSIDE2CHAR_20160419_383245178485_zpssksajgwk.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_DARKSIDE2CHAR_20160419_383245178788_zpsuxyxptfx.jpg.html][/URL]

We crossed over to the other side of the park, pausing near the castle for some family photos. The photographer was great, very friendly and really took his time with us, taking many pictures. He took a couple normal photos, a fun magic shot with balloons, and, interestingly, a series of kind of quirky posed photos. A few of them are below.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_PARTNERSICON1NC_20160419_383245178757_zpsgk9q6avi.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_PARTNERSICON1NC_20160419_383245178475_zpsngthksjk.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_PARTNERSICON1NC_20160419_383245178496_zpslqllysrk.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/DLPCA_PARTNERSICON1NC_20160419_383245178783_zpsgg6bfvmf.jpg.html][/URL]

Then, we rode Pirates of the Caribbean and swung by the Pieces of Eight store for a sword for Benji and some chocolate coins for everyone. I saw this in the store called "Le Bat en Rouge," and wish I'd bought them! (When I tried later on my last day, the shop closed early so I couldn't buy it.)

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0721_zpsksx87koq.jpg.html][/URL]

And this is where I made a mistake: going to the Enchanted Tiki Room. Some will not agree with my reaction to this, so I apologize in advance. I really do love nostalgia in general and Disney history very much, so I thought I had to do it. I am sure I have seen the show in Walt Disney World, but it had been ages and I didn’t really remember it. Also, my children have never seen it, so I managed to recruit one willing partner – Kevin – and said goodbye to the others who would be riding Star Tours. Kevin and I picked up the obligatory Dole Whips on the way into the show, his the traditional and mine a “float.” We found seats in the Tiki Room, vintage Disney all around us and in our hands, and waited for the show to begin...

Well, I am a bad person. Apparently I have to admit it now. I did not care for the Dole Whip or the show at all. Kevin felt the same. To be honest, I spent a fair amount of the show looking past the feathered performers and eying the EXIT sign on the other side of the room, contemplating the logistics of making a quick escape. The problem was that we were in the middle of a bench and would be disturbing others if we left prematurely. Reluctantly, I admitted defeat and just tried to think of happy thoughts to distract me. I do think the main song is kind of cute and a classic, so that helped. Anyway, when the show ended, we threw away what remained of our Dole Whips and moved on. I know we are in the minority. We just didn’t “get it.” I am honestly glad we tried it and can certainly see why it would be groundbreaking at the time and a crowd-pleaser. And I would add that I am glad Disney has kept it around for others to enjoy. Even though it isn't "my thing," I'd be sad to see it taken away.

Next, we met up with the others, told them of our experience, and switched gears: Hyperspace Mountain for Sam and me and the Main Street Cinema for Jeff and the twins. To rest their feet and bask in the air conditioning.

We saw Great moments with Mr. Lincoln, which was fantastic! It was interesting to hear a couple of songs I've known from Disney World: "Two Brothers" & "Golden Dream."

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0732_zpsgwnoo7gf.jpg.html][/URL]

We stopped at the nearby Disneyana store to look at art we were considering. This was cool but kinda strange.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0743_zpsiue6hlos.jpg.html][/URL]

After that, it was time for a snack on the way to the 5pm Tangled show, something we were especially excited to see. I got a Mickey rice krispie treat from the Candy Palace.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0751_zpsg7txv1yr.jpg.html][/URL]

At Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor, Sam and Jeff ordered root beer floats and Benji got a rainbow sherbet cone. Kevin got a Mickey pretzel at Coke Corner. Funny that we went to so many separate places, but everyone loved their snacks and it was pretty easy because they were close together. The show was a ton of fun. We loved the style of storytelling. Super silly.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0749_zpsug64ohs8.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0754_zpsgxumtbx9.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0759_zpsmpipuzsl.jpg.html][/URL]

We enjoyed the Winnie the Pooh ride, noticing some differences like the bouncy honeypot ride vehicles. We stopped at Pooh Corner afterward and bought a Chip’n’Dale lanyard for Kevin, who had lost the lanyard he had gotten on out last trip. We also looked at the pretty case of treats.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0764_zpsmcsbetcl.jpg.html][/URL]

Sam rode Big Thunder with Jeff, while I took the twins shopping and to the shooting arcade. Then, we switched places so I could ride Big Thunder with Sam and the others did some more shooting and explored Tarzan’s Treehouse.

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0773_zpsundt2l7h.jpg.html][/URL]

We found spots to watch the evening parade on Main Street, near the penny arcade. We took turns grabbing food to eat while we waited. I chose well: the Jolly Holiday Combo (grilled cheese sandwich and tomato basil soup).

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/disMom7/media/disneyland%202016/IMG_0778_zpssrtxwxug.jpg.html][/URL]

We also got a couple of salads, Grilled Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomato Caesar Salad from Jolly Holiday and a couple of slices of pizza from Village Haus. We enjoyed seeing Paint the Night and the fireworks again, this time from a different perspective, but it was not nearly as good as the seating near Small World. It was just so nice to have relaxing, uncrowded, unobstructed front row seats at that location. At Main Street, it was the old game of people cramming in close behind just before the show and then squeezing ahead of others where possible. Not a fan of that, but still a HUGE fan of Disneyland nighttime shows. Spectacular. We left the park tired, but happy, and looking forward to visiting California Adventure bright and early the next day. :flower:

I apologize for the pauses in between updates. :thanks: very much for hanging in there! My goal was to finish this report before leaving for Disney World soon, but we will have to see. I had surgery recently and am still recovering, making it hard to accomplish much... I'll do my best to at least get a couple updates in, though.

You aren't alone in regards to not loving the corn dog. My daughter tried one and wasn't impressed, but we aren't huge corn dog fans.

Loved your update. It seems you still managed to have fun, in spite of not everyone wanting to ride RSR. My kids will ride it once with me and that is it. Not sure why they don't like it more, it is one of my favorites.

Thanks very much! I appreciate your understanding. ::yes:: It's nice to hear I'm not alone on the Radiator Springs Racers thing. I was so sad that they didn't like it. Seemed like a sure winner.

Fantastic report! I think I read your Aulani report as well and they have been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to do them. Can't wait to read more!!

Oh, thanks so much. I need to finish the last little bit of my Aulani report! I really am glad it's helpful. Are you planning a trip there soon? You should be! :goodvibes

Nice update. That purse that you showed I have the matching wallet LOL. I love it!! And the safe that you took a pic of wasn't sure if you thought the safe was weird or the snow white statue but FYI that used to be a bank of America back in the day. Actually up till the 90's and maybe even early 2000's I can't remember when it switched. I think maybe around the time they changed the orig gallery to the dream suite. But that safe was leftover from the bank. We just love that area with Lincoln and all the info about the building of the park. They used to have walt's office in there but moved it to the Disney museum in SF which we have seen and is also very cool and much closer to where we live. :) Don't worry about the Dole whips and Tiki room. I am not a huge fan of them either. I do think they are just ok but my kids like them. And I don't think they will go anywhere because there is always a HUGE line for them and they are very popular :) As for the show itself we love it but that is because for us it is more the nostalgia then the show itself. Kind of like carousel of progress. I had never set foot in the place my entire life until I had kids of my own and maybe cuz mine are girls but they loved it and now it is just a fun nostalgia thing. It is a GREAT place to go when it is hot and we also sit in the very back with the padded seats. But don't worry if it's not your thing. Everyone is different and there are things I don't love so to each their own. :) I agree with you on the plaza also. We have done that one and at least in the past it was one of the cheaper character meals and the food is good and the character interaction is good as well. Look forward to your next installment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter