A Week of Quick Service (with only one ADR): October 22-28, 2017

chescat

We're all mad here...
Our Dining Style
At home, we're take-out people. We'd much rather get Chinese and eat on our comfy sofa than go out for a nice, sit-down meal. So, for our Disney trip, we didn't want to spend much time or money on table service, or be tied to a schedule with multiple ADRs. The only ADR we had was dinner at BOG on our MK day. Since I know multiple ADRs are a popular choice on these boards, I thought I'd share how our week of (nearly all) quick service went.

Epcot

Food & Wine Festival:

Atmosphere: Overall, pretty good. We visited the festival on an uncrowded Monday afternoon, and we really couldn't have asked for better weather. There was a light breeze and overcast sky, which meant the temperature was perfect and there was no harsh sun beating down on us. It made being outside to enjoy the booths a pleasure. World Showcase and the theming of the booths themselves made a fun backdrop to our touring. The only critique would be to provide more tables (either seated or standing) near the booths. We may have spent more time on this if there were more designated places to eat as we got tired of eating and walking or trying to find places out of the way to stand.

Food: So-so. We tried items from just three booths: Farm Fresh (roasted beet salad), China (roasted duck bao bun), and India (chicken korma, pistachio cardamom bundt cake, mango lassi). None of the dishes were bad, but the only standout for us was the bundt cake. The rest were just OK. We did enjoy that they were served in smaller portions so we could try a number of them. Pricing didn't always seem consistent with portion size or ingredients.

Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie:

Atmosphere: Not great. We were there after the regular lunch period (around 2-2:30), but this place was still very crowded and bustling both indoors and out. The only available tables were the standing-only ones at the back, which definitely wasn't the relaxing break we were hoping for after being on our feet all morning. I also wasn't a fan of how the restaurant seating shared a space with a gift shop and the exit for Impressions de France as that meant lots of people milling around and passing through while we were eating. I think I was expecting something a little more quaint, and this one just missed the mark for me. The theming was underwhelming; the room too dark and crowded; and the atmosphere in general unpleasant.

Food: While the atmosphere was lacking for us, the food certainly was not. We tried both of the quiches (lorraine and florentine) and split a strawberry tart. All were scrumptious. The quiches were huge for one person, so next time we'd likely split one quiche and a smaller side, which would easily make a full meal. I thought there was no way I'd have room for any of the tart, but after one bite I decided I could make room. ;) I'm not sure the food entirely compensated for the poor atmosphere, but maybe next time we could try to take it to go and enjoy our meal outside in a nicer setting.

Magic Kingdom

Columbia Harbour House:

Atmosphere: LOVED. The nautical theming was fun, and recommendations from DISers to sit on the second floor were spot on. It was so quiet and peaceful up there for lunch you almost forgot you were in a theme park with thousands of other people (at one point we basically had a room to ourselves). We also had a lovely window seat overlooking the Liberty Square Riverboat dock, so we relaxed for awhile after our meal and enjoyed some great people watching. For atmosphere, this was my favorite meal of the trip. Highly recommended.

Food: Delicious! I had one of my favorite meals of the trip here with the broccoli peppercorn salad. I loved the mix of veggies, grilled chicken, and other toppings. They were a little heavy handed with the dressing, so I would just order that on the side next time. My husband had the land and sea trio, which he really enjoyed. He also had his choice of tons of sauces from the condiment bar: ketchup, barbeque sauce, vinegar, mayonnaise, etc. Portion sizes were plentiful, so we left with full, happy bellies.

Be Our Guest:

Atmosphere: As expected, the theming here was pretty stunning. Before even entering the restaurant, we really enjoyed the outdoor theming with the bridge and gate, light-up Lumiere figurine, and great big front doors. Once inside, we toured all the rooms and marveled at each of them, but had our meal (dinner) in the West Wing, which was our favorite. Not only were the effects with the rose and thunder amazing, but we had so much fun trying to catch the Beast's portrait changing every time there was lightning. We didn't find this room too dark for us as we've seen other reviews mention, and our table was off to the side with ample space from the other tables, so it felt very private. It was delightful whenever the Beast entered the room with his special announcement music and a bow. Meeting him after our meal was our only character interaction of the trip, and we really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about meeting a character (since I know it's just a person in a costume), but my heart totally melted when the Beast kept blowing me kisses. My husband, who chose this restaurant because he loves Beauty and the Beast, was over the moon with everything.

Food: Our food reviews were mixed. We each started with one of the soups: French onion and potato leek. They were both good, but very salty. For entrees, my husband absolutely loved his ratatouille and declared it a new favorite. I ordered the steak, which was cooked very well, but massively over-salted. I joked with my husband that they must've brined it in salt water the night before and then dunked it in soy sauce before serving it. Having already had the salty soup, and then being served very salty steak with likewise salty sides (fries and green beans), was a bit much for me and I could only finish about half (fortunately, I was able to take the rest to-go and had it for lunch the following day after wiping off as much of the salt as I could!) The presentation of both dishes was lovely, though, which is not something I normally notice. We finished our meal with the grey stuff, which we both really liked. I thought the menu said it was served on a brownie, but it actually came on top of a little custard pastry, which was delicious. I had mine with a cup of Earl Grey, which was just a perfect, relaxing way to end the meal. Our final bill, with tip, came to around $113. It was easily our most expensive meal of the trip, but this particular experience was for my husband, who absolutely loved it. For that reason, I'd go back and pay the same price again.

Service: Our waiter was very charming and helpful...when we could find him! Someone else brought us our food, and after we had our entrees, we never saw him again until he came back to offer us dessert. At times, it kind of seemed like he'd forgotten we were his table. As a former waitress myself, inattentiveness is my biggest pet peeve when dining out (I'd rather a waiter be rude as long as we're at least getting what we need!) I would've liked to ask for a much less salty steak, for instance, but I would've waited a good 30 minutes or so by the time we saw him next. My husband was also enjoying his meal immensely, so I decided it wasn't worth spoiling his mood to complain. When our waiter was around, he was very pleasant and polite. I just would've hoped for at least one check-in as I did end up having a need that went unmet.

Animal Kingdom

Satu'li Canteen:

Atmosphere: Interesting. This restaurant obviously had a Pandora/Avatar theme, and seemed to combine natural and industrial elements (such as exposed ductwork mixed with Pandoran plants and art). I loved that there was ample indoor and outdoor seating here so you could choose which one you preferred. We sat inside, but even then the huge front windows and high ceilings gave it a very open feeling. I liked the sort of whimsical feeling of the styling, and was pleasantly surprised that our meals were served in real bowls with real utensils (not paper or plastic like other quick service venues). Additionally, although it was quick service, we were asked by staff several times in passing if they could get anything for us, and someone then cleared away our bowls and silverware when we had finished eating. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Food: Wow. We each had one of the bowls for lunch and they were so, so good. It was wonderful to have such an unusual-for-a-theme-park meal option. My husband had the beef, potato hash, and chimichurri sauce. I had the chicken, kale salad, and creamy herb sauce. Both were absolutely yummy and plentiful. We left feeling full and very satisfied about the quality of our meals. This would be a definite must-do for me on any future trips to AK.

Harambe Market:

Atmosphere: This was another enjoyably themed AK restaurant. I really liked the outdoor market feel with different types of “stalls” and seating. We sat in the very back next to a set of props that resembled common items for sale at an outdoor market, such as cookware and clothing. While we were eating, the Wildlife Express Train rolled by, which added to the pleasant outdoor, hole-in-the-wall feel There were even posters on the walls “advertizing” local events. All in all, I think it accurately portrayed the sort of “thrown together” and bright and airy feel of these types of markets, which was a lot of fun. It also wasn't remotely crowded when we there, which was an added bonus.

Food: Mixed, but overall good. This is another location in AK offering some less traditional food options, which was much appreciated. I really liked my gyro flatbread and papaya slaw, and my husband liked his tikka masala a lot, but we both hated the black-eyed pea side salad they came with. It seemed like it may have been made with cilantro, which neither of us can stand, so that may have been the problem. It's something we'd otherwise normally enjoy, but we each only ate a couple of bites and then had to toss them (the only food we threw away all week). Salad aside, the entrees were great and we'd definitely eat here again.

Disney Springs

Earl of Sandwich:

Atmosphere: Meh. It's your standard sandwich shop. The first time we were here it was really quiet and nearly empty. The second time it was packed, noisy, and the line to order was out the door (we got the last two seats indoors or out). The conveyer belt-like system for ordering, paying, and getting your food was a little bewildering our first time there, but on our second visit I could see how it kept things moving swiftly when there's a crowd. There's nothing special about the setting, but nothing particularly off-putting either. You go for the food, not the atmosphere.

Food: Yum! We liked this place so much the first time that we went back again. We tried three different sandwiches: ham 'n' swiss, Italian, and the original 1762. All three were delicious. The original 1762 was my personal favorite (even as a non-roast beef fan), and my husband is still talking about the Italian. We also tried their cole slaw, fruit cup, and Earl Grey lemonade. Unlike the outstanding sandwiches, the sides were just OK. I was really keen to try the lemonade as well, but it tasted like pure lemon juice (no Earl Grey flavor at all), which was disappointing. The cost of a meal jumps up pretty quickly if you add sides or drinks, but the price for just a sandwich is pretty reasonable (less than $16 for the two of us, including tax). We wish we had an Earl of Sandwich near us.

Other Notes

(1) I originally had a second ADR booked for dinner at Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen for our MNSSHP night, but we ended up canceling in favor of eating outside the park so we could change into our costumes after dinner. I'd still love to eat here if we make a return trip, though, as I find the menu really appealing.

(2) I also have to extend a big thank you to the DISboards for the tip about removing or substituting fries with a meal. I didn't have need for it at the parks, but I actually tried it at a fast food place on our drive home. It only cost me 69 cents to replace fries with a side salad that, on its own, would've been $4.00. Big win! I'll be taking this tip everywhere with me from now on.

Thanks for the reviews...Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie is one of my favorites, but we two always seem to have a hard time finding a table. We sometimes wait for one outside...much nicer to sit out there!

I enjoyed your review, we are normally QS people as well! can't wait to try Satu'li Canteen.

Love your review! We, too, are quick service people. We usually eat in our comfy recliners, whether home made or take out food.
So this review was right down our alley. My husband and I used to be dining plan people only. Then 2 years ago we tried paying OOP for mostly quick service. We absolutely loved the food and being able to eat when and where you want. We can't wait to try the Satu'li canteen. It sounds great. We also liked the honey rice chicken at Yak and Yeti QS. Also flame tree BBQ is great.
Our go to TS meals are : BOG (their lunch menu was good with the pot roast dinner especially), Sci Fi dine in at HS, and Kona café. Honestly, we did not miss the TS meals at all. We didn't overeat something we really didn't want but "paid for" with the dining plan. We like to snack our way through the parks sometimes.
Thanks for your review.

Thanks for the reviews...Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie is one of my favorites, but we two always seem to have a hard time finding a table. We sometimes wait for one outside...much nicer to sit out there!

I think outdoors would definitely be the way to go next time! There are some lovely gardens in World Showcase that would make for great little picnic spots.

I enjoyed your review, we are normally QS people as well! can't wait to try Satu'li Canteen.

Definitely recommend Satu'li Canteen, so I really hope you enjoy it. Also, love your avatar! I'm a villains fan, and was very close to going to MNSSHP as Ursula instead of Alice in Wonderland.

Love your review! We, too, are quick service people. We usually eat in our comfy recliners, whether home made or take out food.
So this review was right down our alley. My husband and I used to be dining plan people only. Then 2 years ago we tried paying OOP for mostly quick service. We absolutely loved the food and being able to eat when and where you want. We can't wait to try the Satu'li canteen. It sounds great. We also liked the honey rice chicken at Yak and Yeti QS. Also flame tree BBQ is great.
Our go to TS meals are : BOG (their lunch menu was good with the pot roast dinner especially), Sci Fi dine in at HS, and Kona café. Honestly, we did not miss the TS meals at all. We didn't overeat something we really didn't want but "paid for" with the dining plan. We like to snack our way through the parks sometimes.
Thanks for your review.

Yes, we loved the freedom of QS, and we had some fantastic, quality meals (honestly, much better than we were expecting from a theme park). Thanks so much for the additional recommendations to try!

Harambe Market:

Atmosphere: This was another enjoyably themed AK restaurant. I really liked the outdoor market feel with different types of “stalls” and seating. We sat in the very back next to a set of props that resembled common items for sale at an outdoor market, such as cookware and clothing. While we were eating, the Wildlife Express Train rolled by, which added to the pleasant outdoor, hole-in-the-wall feel There were even posters on the walls “advertizing” local events. All in all, I think it accurately portrayed the sort of “thrown together” and bright and airy feel of these types of markets, which was a lot of fun. It also wasn't remotely crowded when we there, which was an added bonus.

Food: Mixed, but overall good. This is another location in AK offering some less traditional food options, which was much appreciated. I really liked my gyro flatbread and papaya slaw, and my husband liked his tikka masala a lot, but we both hated the black-eyed pea side salad they came with. It seemed like it may have been made with cilantro, which neither of us can stand, so that may have been the problem. It's something we'd otherwise normally enjoy, but we each only ate a couple of bites and then had to toss them (the only food we threw away all week). Salad aside, the entrees were great and we'd definitely eat here again.

My sister and I ate at Harambe Market last week and LOVED it! We sat closer to the entrance and lucked out that a musical group was right outside singing and playing the drums all during our lunch. My sister liked the black eyed pea salad but I did not, and it wasn't just the cilantro. I just don't eat rawish bean/pea salads. Yuck. Next time I will order a double side of papaya slaw because it was excellent, especially as a sweet contrast to the ribs.

My sister and I ate at Harambe Market last week and LOVED it! We sat closer to the entrance and lucked out that a musical group was right outside singing and playing the drums all during our lunch. My sister liked the black eyed pea salad but I did not, and it wasn't just the cilantro. I just don't eat rawish bean/pea salads. Yuck. Next time I will order a double side of papaya slaw because it was excellent, especially as a sweet contrast to the ribs.

Nice! So glad to hear someone else enjoyed Harambe Market. I came across a copycat recipe for the bean salad that included parsley, so I think that may actually be what that raw herb is (not cilantro, like I originally speculated). I eat dried parsley semi-regularly, but I guess the fresh version just isn't for me. Great idea on a double order of the papaya slaw. That was delicious and I could definitely eat two portions of that instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!